As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread bleh, use new thread.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Champagne is liquid hangover.

On controls, I'm keyboard+mouse myself. A/D switched to strafe, QER remapped to hotkeys (potion/flash/stun at the moment) and side mouse buttons for target1 mark and my only ranged attack. Shift+numbers for hotbar 2.

Figuring out the tab-targetting is my only bugbear right now; it seems like a gamepad would work better for that once you 100% know the four different button combinations (All/PC/Party/Enemy).

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

On controls, I'm keyboard+mouse myself. A/D switched to strafe, QER remapped to hotkeys (potion/flash/stun at the moment) and side mouse buttons for target1 mark and my only ranged attack. Shift+numbers for hotbar 2.

Figuring out the tab-targetting is my only bugbear right now; it seems like a gamepad would work better for that once you 100% know the four different button combinations (All/PC/Party/Enemy).

Fun fact about Tab Targeting: It starts with the target directly in front of where you are looking (regardless of distance) and then cycles to the right. Once it reaches the target to the furthest right (regardless of distance to you) it will loop over to the targets on the leftmost and keep cycling.

Because of this you can actually narrow down when you want to target by trying to focus your camera center on the target you want or a bit to the left or by limited the field of view on a lower number of targets to have less of them to cycle through.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Ugh. New event looks so good. Can't wait to go home and get 'er done.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options

Fun fact about Tab Targeting: It starts with the target directly in front of where you are looking (regardless of distance) and then cycles to the right. Once it reaches the target to the furthest right (regardless of distance to you) it will loop over to the targets on the leftmost and keep cycling.

Because of this you can actually narrow down when you want to target by trying to focus your camera center on the target you want or a bit to the left or by limited the field of view on a lower number of targets to have less of them to cycle through.

Sorry, saw this after posting but feel this is valid enough for a separate post:

There are ways to filter tab targeting to skip various entities in certain situations. I haven't done this myself, but I probably should because there are times where tab targeting feels clunky and doesn't get me to the target I want. I usually notice the "clunkiness" of tab-targeting when switching between healing a player character and attacking a monster.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I set that up so LB+B would cycle through enemies only, and it doesn't seem to work. I don't know what I did wrong or if it's buggy.

Unrelated question: Does anyone know if there's a URL api to fetch the current image of your character? The one that shows up in Libram Eorzea, and Lodestone avatars?

Edit: Nevermind, found it:

af08dc7d035ad5693442411b4078ea3d_ba22853447012a24cee115315d6a5bebfl0_264x360.jpg?1409161158

I want to see if the image updates when things change or if the query string is some sort of identifier or version.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Sorry, saw this after posting but feel this is valid enough for a separate post:

There are ways to filter tab targeting to skip various entities in certain situations. I haven't done this myself, but I probably should because there are times where tab targeting feels clunky and doesn't get me to the target I want. I usually notice the "clunkiness" of tab-targeting when switching between healing a player character and attacking a monster.

I've played with this, by setting up ctrl+f to cycle only aggroing enemies and ctrl+d to go back to all (only tanking, so no player targeting necessary yet) but it felt clunky as well. They mention it in that thread, but when you tab from one monster to another, it doesn't immediately switch you to that new target... like your focus (auto-attacks) is still on the original target, and it just tabs the circular reticule. I might just need to get used to that. Edit: I do see that there are benefits to this system though (such as not breaking sleep with an auto-attack).

I think your method is probably going to work the best for me, Delph. Controlling what is in the frame and and where my focus is.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    There's a way to change your hair all willy-nilly at a certain point, right?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can unlock the asthitician.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Noice.

Maybe.. I'll just play around with leveling a bunch of the base classes a bit to be prepared for whatever new job they announce... but it's probably too early to do that yet.

But soon.

Soon.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

Corehealer‌ - something about the blue Miqo'te is awesome. Your character really stands out in a sea of cat ladies!

Oh sure, compliment the copy cat.

Your just jealous because I have surpassed you, in style.

qmaDCIA.jpg

Realtalk though, Yukira was a big inspiration for my getting into the game, with his character being the spark that lit the fire as it were. I had to have a blue nyan of my own to play dress up and hero with.

We are the best twin team on the server.

488W936.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Fun other fact about FF14 tab targeting: It's terrible. Even when you know the "rules", it's some of the worst tab targeting. This is one of those areas where WoW did it right a while ago and people just need to copy how WoW does it. WoW has this whole complex heuristic it goes through when tab targeting to determine the most "sane" order, and 99.99% of the time, it's right.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Won't lie, it's one of the first characters to tempt me to switch to Miqo'te.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Using the chart and feeding til I got the "new feathers" message I went from Desert Yellow to Salmon Pink to Rose Pink without an issue. Not the most complex thing on the chart, but a thumbs up to it nonetheless.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I just realized exactly why I like the Revenant's Toll daytime theme so much - it's very, very reminiscent of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvpjwTM8p0

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Have to use the chart to get a light blue chocobo sometime. This way it can match my single, non-brown colored iris.

DesmondPfeiffer on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I require more berries, but won't be around again for a couple hours. I'll try and hit an FC officer up sometime tonight for more O'ghoromo berries and maybe some Domans.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I too require all the berries.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Maybe it's cause I am an old person or maybe cause I played Treasure Mathstorm too many times....but I made a logo for The Learning Hour.

0iGWQQ7.png

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »

Corehealer‌ - something about the blue Miqo'te is awesome. Your character really stands out in a sea of cat ladies!

Oh sure, compliment the copy cat.

Your just jealous because I have surpassed you, in style.

Don't make me put on the hug armor again.

• Options
    The chart has updated further!

vBZmlD.png

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Also, Real Talk™, it's pretty cool that I inspired Corehealer to play this game and it's been a lot of fun doing dungeons with him.

Now if AFK Star/Pale Slacker would show up from time to time.

• Options
    When someone figures out how to consistently get Regal Purple from the starting yellow, please let me know. That's basically the color I want.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yep, saw this coming a mile away...

NSFW if your work doesn't like cat girls, hot tubs, and champagne.

Esh on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    When someone figures out how to consistently get Regal Purple from the starting yellow, please let me know. That's basically the color I want.

Looks like apples to 'blood red' and then berries and hoping for 'regal purple' instead of 'dalamund red' is the fastest route right now. It's sure up to the 'blood red' part at least, if the chart is correct.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh cool, I'm in the credits on the bottom left on that series of images. Yay science!

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That chart just seems to me to be a rather convoluted tree for them to have set up on the back end. I would like to think they came up with a solution that was a little more... elegant for a task dealing with a color wheel.

• Options
    That chart just seems to me to be a rather convoluted tree for them to have set up on the back end. I would like to think they came up with a solution that was a little more... elegant for a task dealing with a color wheel.

That chart is literally just a listing of data points from people experimenting. There is a more elegant solution out there and once we've gained enough data we can plot it in a much more visually pleasing manner I'm sure :)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Oh, so that's how that works.

I always suspected it had something to do with my field of vision, but I wasn't sure exactly what.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So many picturesque moments in that quest. It was a very good thank you to the community.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ha, delph I think I was in a roulette with you last night. I was the tank that only kinda, sorta kept aggro in Stone Vigil HM.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    bX4oYCe.jpg

In case people weren't aware that Yoshi-P is the minstrel for the Rising event.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    heh. How approp. Give's the minstrel's words that much more weight.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    How long does the anniversary event last?

Edit: September 8, it appears.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Cut scenes were so great!

5iTcR7.jpg

JwnRzN.jpg

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    That's a great look in that top pic :)

• Options
    I just wish I could wear glasses with a hat. I would never take them off because they are freaking adorable!

xk0k.jpg

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ...never thought I'd see the day when my Lalafell character was described as "lanky".

• Options
    So, do you need to keep your chocobo stabled for all 6 hours that his plumage is changing? Kind of a bummer doing levequests without him on my (now 38!) BLM.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Completed the minstrel event, then went and bought myself a bunch of champagne. Huzzah!

Gotta say, hough, that scene of all the characters cheering me on was really touching. And seeing Minfillia and the other Scions there was especially good, considering where my character is in the story.

• Options
    So, do you need to keep your chocobo stabled for all 6 hours that his plumage is changing? Kind of a bummer doing levequests without him on my (now 38!) BLM.

Unfortunately yes you do.

This discussion has been closed.