As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Port reports get you paid a bit (further away the port, the more you get paid) and each one gives you 1 Fuel for turning in, regardless of distance.

It's unlikely that you recover your entire fuel costs this way but it certainly is a huge help.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Port reports get you paid a bit (further away the port, the more you get paid) and each one gives you 1 Fuel for turning in, regardless of distance.

It's unlikely that you recover your entire fuel costs this way but it certainly is a huge help.

I've had so much fuel from reports that I've had to sell some to take on Supplies in the past. Of course, I tend to stay out well beyond when other captains would have gone home...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've had so much fuel from reports that I've had to sell some to take on Supplies in the past. Of course, I tend to stay out well beyond when other captains would have gone home...

Oh, I always make sure I sell off goods that I've taken back to London before visiting the Admiralty these days. Before I upgraded to a boat with a larger hold, if I didn't have enough space to hold all the fuel I would be earning, I would hold back on turning some reports in if I was going to be zailing to a different part of the zea than where I had been, so that the fuel I would have earned wouldn't be wasted.

Like, if I had been way up North and was planning to zail South this time, I might hold off on turning in the Mt Palmerston and Avid Horizon reports.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wait, wait, wait.

That's the end of the Hearts Desire ambition? It's not even finished yet? After all that I just get a line at the end of the text saying "That's the end of Heart's Desire for now. More soon!" I don't even get a reward or anything for getting to that point? What the fuck?

Was there a line somewhere at the start saying that this quest line wasn't finished and to not expect any items from it, but that it'll take you on a tour of the area and to some exciting locations along the way? Because i'd have been fine with that. All this time, though, I thought the quest line was been building up to something big and then there's just a gigantic wet fart of an "under construction" sign.

How long has it been like this, even? Are they planning on ever finishing it?

This has really taken the wind out of my sails on this game, to be honest. Not a good state to be in while i'm still stuck on stupid-ass Polythreme.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    None of the ambitions are finished as far as I know.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Sunless Sea is 40% off right now.
    Not sure if we'll get a deeper discount. Also wondering if I'd need the equivalent 45 fate more.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    If Steam calls a game out as a daily deal or a flash sale, then it's guaranteed that that's the cheapest it's going to get during the sale. Sunless Sea is a daily now; if it bubbles up again later as a flash sale it'll be 40% off again.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I have no idea wtf just happened:
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/511504063349910476/F4E0CA5E73DC0A751C7879C11810CFFC8DF91C6E/

What does this mean exactly? I've lost my "Scion" quality, which AFAIK is what was letting my heirs pick up two legacies, but it says my sweetheart and child are untouched... what gives?

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/511504063349910476/F4E0CA5E73DC0A751C7879C11810CFFC8DF91C6E/

What does this mean exactly? I've lost my "Scion" quality, which AFAIK is what was letting my heirs pick up two legacies, but it says my sweetheart and child are untouched... what gives?

That looks like the new ambition starting to play out.
    The "Traveler Returns" is the name they gave the ambition, and they did say that it would have an effect on the bloodline. The fact that Salt's Curse is gone suggests to me that they changed the mechanic where your wife and kid just die off if you return to port with it.

The event might be implying that your Scion quality is gone, but that the kid isn't dead and there's a chance to get the squirt back.

• Options
    Well that's pretty bullshit, to be honest, but apparently less bullshit than it used to be if I understand what you're saying? This run only came about because I screwed up inches from success because of shit the game didn't tell me about, and now it looks like I've been fucked over permanently because of shit the game didn't tell me

• Options
    Apparently, you should always start with the philosopher because no other character in the game is able to raise pages? Crazy. I'm so sick of this tiny cargo hold.
    Also I've spent the past two weeks in london opening bundle after bundle. I think souls don't exist in Bundles. Ugh.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Well that's pretty bullshit, to be honest, but apparently less bullshit than it used to be if I understand what you're saying? This run only came about because I screwed up inches from success because of shit the game didn't tell me about, and now it looks like I've been fucked over permanently because of shit the game didn't tell me

Permanently? No. It will cease to be a problem after you start your next game. Honestly, zee captains die all the time, you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Plus, while I have no way of knowing because I haven't played the new ambition, it might offer you an opportunity to get your family back (probably at a different terrible cost...). That's more than you ever got before if you got hit with Salt's Curse. At the very least you get to experience the new ambition content.

Bullshit? Maybe, but that's essentially what a roguelike is: concentrated screwage until you learn the ropes. Then intermittent screwage. I lost four captains, I think, before I finished a game.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

The "Traveler Returns" is the name they gave the ambition, and they did say that it would have an effect on the bloodline. The fact that Salt's Curse is gone suggests to me that they changed the mechanic where your wife and kid just die off if you return to port with it.

The event might be implying that your Scion quality is gone, but that the kid isn't dead and there's a chance to get the squirt back.

Nah, that's not the ambition. Salt's curse has a chance to fuck you over when you go to port and kill your family. If it happens the same run you get you scion you lose it for that run. If you already have one before you start a family you can get another.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Nah, that's not the ambition. Salt's curse has a chance to fuck you over when you go to port and kill your family. If it happens the same run you get you scion you lose it for that run. If you already have one before you start a family you can get another.

Yeah I know Salt's Curse. Believe me.

I just don't remember that bit about the "Traveller Returning," which was noted in the new quest changes as the ambition.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Fiction is dead to me, no more shall I write the tawdry romances that the crowds adore, from now on I speak the truth in the language of the stars themselves! I have finally become a Corespondent.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Fiction is dead to me, no more shall I write the tawdry romances that the crowds adore, from now on I speak the truth in the language of the stars themselves! I have finally become a Corespondent.

The ministry of decency will be in touch. Don't worry about calling them. They'll call you. You'll know it's them by the fact that they somehow censored you without even being there.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I love the surface music. I may just stay up here forever. Vienna is kind of a crap hole. This is not what I was lead to believe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnP-b_IVdT0

If you lose your scion can you get another kid in that game or are you just screwed?
    Also I feel like there are way too many events that give you +30-50 terror without noting it on the choice. This may raise your terror is not strong enough wording for this will probably kill you dead. Oh well.

Starting to get bored of fallen london as I have spent all stamina last three weeks opening bundles.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    The ambition thing affected me more than I thought, I guess. I haven't really done anything in Fallen London over the past few days, since everything at this point is just a grind for not very interesting rewards. I guess a game like this it's difficult to have an endgame when characters just continue on forever, but something to work towards would be nice. I guess I could grind out the last 34 levels in persuasive to become a legendary charisma, but what's really the point of that?

The game did last me several months though, which is a lot more than I expected for a free browser game. I even gave them some money to become an exceptional friend for a couple months there.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you lose your scion can you get another kid in that game or are you just screwed?

You're screwed, but you're not super-screwed. I mean, all Scion means is that you can take two legacies instead of just one. Your next captain can get a new Scion.

It's nowhere near the complete fuckage that is completing the Searing Name ambition, where
    you lose your Scion, your Ironclad Will, your house, and all your heirlooms.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Bought this from the Steam sale. I know next to nothing about it and read only the first page of posts here. Can't wait to dive in blind(ish).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Bought this from the Steam sale. I know next to nothing about it and read only the first page of posts here. Can't wait to dive in blind(ish).

Since it will inevitably come up, if you aren't sailing into at least the middle of the map horizontally on a trip, you're not going far enough to make a profit. This includes your first few trips.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Managed to lose everything. Salt's curse + not enough money to renew will + Mt Nomad apparently does more damage than the starter ship has life.
    Ugh. Unhealthy amount of time down the tubes. Might need a break. Still no soul in bundles.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    The whole "you can lose everything" thing wouldn't piss me off so much if it didnt take so fucking long to get anywhere; 90% of my play time is spent slowly putt-putting in a straight line between A and B which, after you've revealed the whole map, is not exactly compelling gameplay.

• Options
    The whole "you can lose everything" thing wouldn't piss me off so much if it didnt take so fucking long to get anywhere; 90% of my play time is spent slowly putt-putting in a straight line between A and B which, after you've revealed the whole map, is not exactly compelling gameplay.

You need a better engine, delicious friend.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I have the Admiralty special, the second-best engine in the game (afaik), and WE ARE CLAY giving me an extra boost, and it still feels too slow.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    And then you have to start over with the starter ship and lose crew on the other side of the map.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    NICE! Now....I still need a fuckin' boat to continue it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I have the Admiralty special, the second-best engine in the game (afaik), and WE ARE CLAY giving me an extra boost, and it still feels too slow.

What ship are you using? In my experience, the boats have different speeds that is somewhat independent of tonnage. Like, the corvette feels faster, despite weighing more than the starter boat.

And the second best engine in the game is the Serpentine, with the best of course being the Impeller.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I've got 60 hours into Sunless Sea with probably 20-30 of those being my most recent playthrough. I really want to start a new one so that I can do stuff that I don't see any good way to make the money to do, and to pick different options along the way, but, man, the prospect of doing it all again is daunting. And I got Salt's Cursed right near the start of this playthrough so I can't even carry through as much stuff.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    "Return to Polythreme with your prize!"

... nah, i'll pass.

• Options
    I've got 60 hours into Sunless Sea with probably 20-30 of those being my most recent playthrough. I really want to start a new one so that I can do stuff that I don't see any good way to make the money to do, and to pick different options along the way, but, man, the prospect of doing it all again is daunting. And I got Salt's Cursed right near the start of this playthrough so I can't even carry through as much stuff.

How are people getting Salt's Curse so often? I learned not to
    shoot the albino bat
    pretty early on. You know you can get curses removed
    at Whither,
    right?

RE: Money

This thread has a number of good recommendations for making money. Sunrunning + the Coffee Grind is serious business. Red Honey makes that money (honey). Then there's Lifeberg farming, which, my last game I probably made 30,000 echoes from (for a glitch or some other reason I had infinitely respawning Lifebergs next to Frostfound at one point late in the game). The game before, I had literally lost everything; my only hand-me-downs were the Memento Mori and all the +25 skill books. By the time I founded my own kingdom, though, I was zailing a tricked out Frigate and had 17 heirlooms & a mansion back in London; my Scion also has about 7K echoes in petty cash (though I'm not playing again until the zubmariner DLC comes out).

Admittedly there was a lot of grinding near the end to get to that point, but I guess I don't understand when folks say there's no money to be made.

• Options
    You also get Salt's Curse if you don't feel like bringing random people with you. Anyone you refuse can kill your kids at any time.

As far as money goes my problem is I die when either:
    A - Just got new ship
    B - all $$$ is tied up in goods.

I wish you could hand down engines.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    You also get Salt's Curse if you don't feel like bringing random people with you. Anyone you refuse can kill your kids at any time.

A - Just got new ship

I've definitely had some heartbreaks (dying on the maiden voyage of my first frigate was painful), but the disclaimer in front of the game ain't lyin'-- captains gonna die; best to learn from it and move on.

And yeah, it would be way better to hand down engines than, say, crew members that you'll eventually get to recruit no matter what, anyway.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

A - Just got new ship

Your money should not be tied up in goods unless you're talking about something like the deposit you put down for Salt Lion runs or Venturer goods, both of which get you Echoes or items to sell for Echoes when you hit London. Ferrying some items you get from events to other ports for a better return is a good idea but buying stuff in London to bring elsewhere is really not a good way to make money and becomes limiting when you start killing and looting more things at sea and picking up goods/fuel/supplies you don't have to pay for from various events.

As for the random people, I'm pretty sure there's no real downside to bringing them on unless you make really dumb decisions regarding their worship of gods you know like handing out curses. It's crew you pay nothing for and if you're already full up they understand too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

How are people getting Salt's Curse so often? I learned not to
    shoot the albino bat
    pretty early on. You know you can get curses removed
    at Whither,
    right?

RE: Money

This thread has a number of good recommendations for making money. Sunrunning + the Coffee Grind is serious business. Red Honey makes that money (honey). Then there's Lifeberg farming, which, my last game I probably made 30,000 echoes from (for a glitch or some other reason I had infinitely respawning Lifebergs next to Frostfound at one point late in the game). The game before, I had literally lost everything; my only hand-me-downs were the Memento Mori and all the +25 skill books. By the time I founded my own kingdom, though, I was zailing a tricked out Frigate and had 17 heirlooms & a mansion back in London; my Scion also has about 7K echoes in petty cash (though I'm not playing again until the zubmariner DLC comes out).

Admittedly there was a lot of grinding near the end to get to that point, but I guess I don't understand when folks say there's no money to be made.

I forget how I got the curse. Whatever it was it was the first time I'd gotten it so didn't yet realize it was going to have the results it did.

The money grinds just don't interest me. I love the game for the story; if grinding is required for Sunless Sea I'd rather just keep playing Fallen London. If I start over with the fifteen or so heirlooms I could have between the ones I already have and what I could buy if I were to sell off the Memento and my ship I could probably get up to the top-tier ship and such in a captain or two. It's just frustrating that I don't tend to get anywhere close to death anymore but I don't have enough money to upgrade to the point where I can carry on with a number of stories.

Is there any word on when the zubmariner expansion might land? I might just take some risky ventures and, if I die, wait for that to start a new playthrough.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

A - Just got new ship

Your money should not be tied up in goods unless you're talking about something like the deposit you put down for Salt Lion runs or Venturer goods, both of which get you Echoes or items to sell for Echoes when you hit London. Ferrying some items you get from events to other ports for a better return is a good idea but buying stuff in London to bring elsewhere is really not a good way to make money and becomes limiting when you start killing and looting more things at sea and picking up goods/fuel/supplies you don't have to pay for from various events.

As for the random people, I'm pretty sure there's no real downside to bringing them on unless you make really dumb decisions regarding their worship of gods you know like handing out curses. It's crew you pay nothing for and if you're already full up they understand too.

Well I can't do the quest stuff without running near to dead on fuel/terror/supplies. I can't pack enough candles to explore anything etc. So I try and get a better ship. I don't know how I should be doing this, but usually I do coffee>Irem>london. I kill every ship I can find, except for the new sequencers since they can shoot aft. But Zee monsters just crash into me to death. Well, the bigger ones. The midsized ones are killable, but its really not worth doing. After sphinxstone and a few coffee runs I can get a new ship, but am broke again. To get some money I go up to the surface or do another coffee run. Tradgedy. I've only had a bigger ship twice though. What should I be doing?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Sunlight and honey for the most part. Once you're done with the sphinxstone, get to work on the isle of cats. The storylines in port cecil and venderbright also pay out pretty well, but they take some time and a lot of exploration.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Anyone need a cat in a box? I feel like the card doesn't come up as often.
    I also have room for a couple more proteges, for anyone with a Watchful less than 100 who could use some lessons.

This discussion has been closed.