As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Does Sunless Sea have micro transactions?

I'm considering buying the app but I'm already giving Failbetter $7.99 per month and I'd prefer not to need to do that for a second game just to experience the content.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Sunless Sea has no micro transactions. You get everything with purchase and the only dlc is the zubmariner content which adds a huge amount of new content.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Well, shit. My iPad isn't compatible (4th generation).

First time that's happened.

knitdan on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    The zub does take a huge amount of grinding to get though

Because lol 20 whirring contraptions

I have 19 whirring contraptions right now

...and 6(?) Abs and 0 Bejeweled Lenses

*weeps*

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    The zub does take a huge amount of grinding to get though

Because lol 20 whirring contraptions

I have 19 whirring contraptions right now

...and 6(?) Abs and 0 Bejeweled Lenses

*weeps*

the strong-backed labour you can at least get 4 of at a time from doing Wilmot's End so it's 5x faster than the contraptions

the bejeweled lenses....yeah....

• Options
    This game keeps trying to get me to Seek the Name

I don't want to! I picked an option on a card and all of a sudden I'm peckish or even worse I skip that step and go to level 1or 2 of seeking before I even get a chance to back out

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    knitdan wrote: »
    This game keeps trying to get me to Seek the Name

I don't want to! I picked an option on a card and all of a sudden I'm peckish or even worse I skip that step and go to level 1or 2 of seeking before I even get a chance to back out

I gather there is a known bug which occasionally kicks you up a few levels of Seeking, but instead of fixing the bug Failbetter made it easier to back out of early-level Seeking

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Seeking the Name is, if nothing else, probably the only endgame they'll actually finish.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Given that FL is what, 5-10 years "before" Sunless Skies, I'm kind of interested to see how and if they tie the two together via Avid Horizon.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    just lost 30 levels of connected:hell telling an urchin to keep his sould

i guess they did warn me that i would lose "a substantial amount"

i just, like, didn't think it would be thirty levels

i guess now i can cut ties with hell and become Closest To somebody else? I'm currently a conjurer, one notability away from being able to become a crooked-cross

can i keep my profession if i stop being Closest To? Should I can the profession too, since with notability 5 i can rise to rank 3 of something else pretty quickly?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

i guess now i can cut ties with hell and become Closest To somebody else? I'm currently a conjurer, one notability away from being able to become a crooked-cross

can i keep my profession if i stop being Closest To? Should I can the profession too, since with notability 5 i can rise to rank 3 of something else pretty quickly?

yeah you don't need any connected to become a crooked cross, just the 5 notability

that's bizarre you would lose 30 levels though!

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

yeah you don't need any connected to become a crooked cross, just the 5 notability

that's bizarre you would lose 30 levels though!

All of the updated choose a faction cards will do horrible things to your favors or connected, but will give you a goodly amount of swag. If you actually want to keep that stuff, you're stuck with the card until you reduce the requisite favors somehow. Also, I'm not really sure there's any reason to ever switch closest to, other than RP stuff. It's pretty expensive and gives practically no benefit.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    also it took me a few tries to become a crooked cross because my charisma check was like 30% so have some confident smiles ready

but failure gives you a touching love story and nothing bad

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, since the game is split between favors/renown and connected, those cards really fucking wreck your connected while you just lose favors for updated factions which is much easier to re-obtain

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i thought i'd lose like a hundred CP or something, not just flat all

sig.gif
  • Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Most of them cost you a few hundred CP. Currently all but one card of my hand is those cards and I'm hoping for one more of a few favors to turn into renown. I got into the renown game late but I'm pursuing all of them!

Undead dock urchin squid are the best.

• Options
    Aersien wrote: »
    Most of them cost you a few hundred CP. Currently all but one card of my hand is those cards and I'm hoping for one more of a few favors to turn into renown. I got into the renown game late but I'm pursuing all of them!

yeah i just chose church over great game and only went down from 16-15 and said screw it, i'm opening a bug, maybe it's intentional but maybe not

sig.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Aersien wrote: »

yeah i just chose church over great game and only went down from 16-15 and said screw it, i'm opening a bug, maybe it's intentional but maybe not

There are two kinds of cards for this:

The common "you have any ranks with X faction and any ranks with Y faction" cards. These can be discarded, have options to please both, and have Affair of the Box options on them if you're doing that. Church/Great Game has two of these, I think. The rewards on these tends to be small.

The less common "you have a ton of ranks with X faction and Y faction" cards. These can't be discarded, and either require you to chunk one faction or the other. However, they give massive rewards.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    All the cards used to be small rewards with fairly small changes to Connected, with one side losing some and the other gaining twice as much. There are still a bunch of those left.

The newer kind shows up anytime there's a faction with Favours/Renown instead of Connected. Choosing against the Favours side costs all Favours with that faction but gives a substantial reward.

It gets a little odd when one side is Connected and the other side uses Favours. If you choose the Connected side then all Favours are lost. If you choose the Favours side then you lose 500 CP of Connected. Either way there's a big reward. The idea, I think, is that Favours are harder to get than Connected, so there should be a substantial cost. I'm not so sure it's fully balanced.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I'm hoping @Jacobkosh is up for dealing with some rapscallion orphans, because I've invited him in his capacity as a midnighter.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am always happy to unfurl the mysteries of St Joshua to bright dark young minds!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Holy crap that gives a lot of MWs.

I went from 7 to 20!

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2017
    I got Sunless Sea and am on AN EXCITING VOYAGE where I
    helped rats overthrow the yoke of guineapigocrazy.

I'm surprisingly not dead yet after a few hours.

How rare are ports where you can repair the ship? Immediately after starting the game I got two people who want to go to Vanderblight or something like that. But so far I've gotten just a few screens away from London before having to sneak back home and repair at 10hp. I can't see myself getting much further out than I already have been.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Honk wrote: »

How rare are ports where you can repair the ship? Immediately after starting the game I got two people who want to go to Vanderblight or something like that. But so far I've gotten just a few screens away from London before having to sneak back home and repair at 10hp. I can't see myself getting much further out than I already have been.

@Honk if you're over 50% hull health, you can always repair at sea by hitting the "R" button. This consumes supplies and is therefore expensive but if you just need to get to a port where money awaits you then it's worth it.

Remember that you can use Admiralty Favors to repair at the Admiralty Yards for cheap (25 Echoes for your entire hull). You only get a favor the first time you come back from a port with a Port Report, but you get them every time you bring back Strategic Information or Vital Intelligence.

What is Vital Intelligence, you ask? It's created by combining two pieces of Strategic Information in your inventory. Go to the Admiral, get a commission from him to visit a specific port, go there and get the information, then return and get a second commission without turning in the first. Go to the second port and get its strategic information. Combine the two into a Vital Intelligence (this will also use a Zee-Story, Memory of Distant Shores or Vision of the Surface) and you'll have Vital Intelligence. This can be returned to the Admiral for a lot more money than the two pieces of Strategic Information would have fetched on their own, and unlocks an entirely new quest-giver contact.

Venderbight is directly north of London, along the western continent. It's a pretty safe journey and there's someone there who gives you a lengthy and lucrative multi-stage quest.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I believe you can only pay to repair your ship back in London.

Maybe also in Khan's Heart? I don't actually know. I wouldn't bet on it.

If your hull isn't damaged too badly you can also use the wrench icon to do some manual repairs, but those do take up supplies. Oh, and their are Rattus Fabur engineers who are basically one-shot heal items, but I've never used them so I don't know how much use they are.

Frankly, in your starter ship, your best bet is to avoid combat altogether. If you do have to engage in combat, back away from monsters at full power and stick close to the back of enemy ships. Those're the best ways I've found to avoid damage.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Probably best to steer wide away from most potential battles until your have a stronger ship

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch! I had no idea I could repair at sea, that's very handy to know. Through some adventuring I got a lot supplies on hand so that will be really usable.

I expected Venderbight to be a ways off so I've been exploring kind of far out diagonally north, I'll go straight up the coast there next time and get going on those quests! :)

I'm into the concept here of having information and stories as inventory items, makes it like more tangible assets in a sense.

• Options
    Hmmm. How much Casing should I shoot for if I want to just ace robbing the brass embassy?

(I've done lots of heists, but they were a while ago, so I can't recall precisely.)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Thanks a bunch! I had no idea I could repair at sea, that's very handy to know. Through some adventuring I got a lot supplies on hand so that will be really usable.

I expected Venderbight to be a ways off so I've been exploring kind of far out diagonally north, I'll go straight up the coast there next time and get going on those quests! :)

I'm into the concept here of having information and stories as inventory items, makes it like more tangible assets in a sense.

Also, remember, zailing with your lights on eats fuel like no tomorrow. If your terror can take it, try running dark. It'll save a lot of fuel in the long run.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hmmm. How much Casing should I shoot for if I want to just ace robbing the brass embassy?

(I've done lots of heists, but they were a while ago, so I can't recall precisely.)

• Options
    Honestly. What kind of fool would possibly Seek....
    The candles whicker and roar like horses of fire. The blaze drives the shop-keeper back. Embrace it! It hurts, of course, but it is better than dark water, twice better, three times better, seven times. The crisping smell of flesh transgressed rises. Is it toothsome? Will you devour yourself? The pain roils; a blackness rises. You will remember what you have learnt.
    [What are you doing? Stop before you are ruined.]

• Options
    I've gotten good use out of all your tips now, the repair at sea button came in handy after I escaped the waters around Iron Republic by 6hp left. Finally got a vital intelligence created tonight and that combined with some quest rewards got me a new engine and cannon. :)

I'm over 6h in now and more and more surprised I'm not dead yet.

Very sadly I made a mistake and civilization on Pigmote Island has ended. :(

• Options
    oh dear

jack of smiles case
    for 10 fate I can become jack of smiles, which was rather what I was trying to avoid I thought. it's warning me that this will be ultraviolent.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so I'm saving up the 3600 scraps for another high end item

I'll probably go for a second Location of a Prince of Hell

I could choose Veils Velvet instead, which I don't have yet, but frankly keeping something like that around is plain too creepy, even for me

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Where did people go with this month's story then?
    I told her to ditch the losers and concentrate on her sister. It's all about faaamly innit? I can't see many people picking anything other than that or the run away to sea option. Neither of the gentlemen acquitted themselves particularly well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I went the second way you thought. I haven't gotten the epilogue yet though.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I did the thing asked of me
    no special secrets or particular advantage to gain for myself in this situation; Slivvy'll be easier to influence if he's desperate to be replaced than an orphan with no connection or any obligation to help me. The poet is a dime a dozen, and the Nurse is running herself ragged trying to appease everyone and make up for something that at this point isn't even her fault. The zee was a childhood dream, who knows if it'll even bring her joy or just wreck her with more guilt for abandoning her family. Let her find some happiness and peace with a stolid man who loves her, even if the Devil thinks it uninteresting.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Double post.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    Seekers, does this surreal dream interpretation make more sense once you are at the end of the journey? Because I cannot parse it now.
    From somewhere behind your head, Dr Schlomo listens to your tales. "You should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas," he says. His tone is dreamy, detached. "Then you could have seen the black ships above you, their sails full of wind dearly bought from that angry god. You would know where they were going." Your stomach rumbles. Nausea floods your throat. "Walk away from your ship. Do not look for this," continues Dr Schlomo. "Seek rather the land whose wayfarers will ask why you carry a winnowing-fan on your back...'" Now he's sounding puzzled. His voice trails off.

Before you can speak, Dr Schlomo jumps out of his chair. He begins to scream. "I cannot believe you did that to me! Get out! Get out, get out, get out!" You run for the door as he reaches for his walking-stick.

[This was a serious mistake. Do not repeat it. Resolve to end this foolish quest.]

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    So how's the iPad Sunless Sea turning out? Tempted to add it to the pile of iPad games I haven't played as much as I ought to.

This discussion has been closed.