As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime Prank 2014: We Were Just Minding Our Own Business

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2014 in PAX West
Previously:
At the most recent PAX:
In 2014 EAST Team O.S.P.R.E.Y. (Organization for Secrecy, Protection, Recon, Espionage, and Yachting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513nBJ8KixI
http://ospreyagent.com/

In 2014 PRIME: ???

The PAX Prank community tradition is back and once again we need your help! We need able individuals to help organize and be involved in this year’s prank.

Before I continue please read the Prank Mission Statement:

The PAX Prank strives to be fun for everyone involved, be it the one(s) being pranked (henceforth known as “targets”) or the ones pranking (henceforth “pranksters”). The PAX Prank will never be something with malicious intent. It will strive to never embarrass targets (much). It will be mindful of people who want no part in it, will not push the issue, and will always respect the authority figures of Penny Arcade Inc., PAX, and Greater Seattle/Boston. The PAX prank will not cause any damage emotionally, physically, or financially to anyone, whether they are involved directly or indirectly.

As per tradition, this year's prank is being kept under wraps from the general public ;). But we do need interested volunteers! If you would like to join our organization please complete our application provided below. Please do not respond if you cannot fit within the confines of the mission statement above or the criteria below.

Requirements:

You must not be opposed to Twitter, GroupMe, and can potentially get SMS updates or potentially phone calls. We typically coordinate our various pranks via Twitter and GroupMe.

You must be over 18. Sorry folks.

You must be at least moderately outgoing. What we do will call a lot of attention to ourselves. We will probably be interacting with some of the celebrities that are at PAX as well. In other words, YOU WILL BE SEEN! If attention, social interaction, and having people probably laughing at you and/or wanting to praise you/shake your hand -- among other things -- upsets you, the prank may not be for you.*

*Note: If you would like to be involved in the creative aspects of the prank (content, design, etc) rather than the actual presentation please feel free to apply but specify that preference in your application.

You must be willing and able to keep up with prank communications on the prank forums including participating in threads on a regular basis.

You must be able to keep a secret. There may be mass emails, Skype/google hangout/tinychat calls, and other private conversations between now and then. We want to keep the reactions of our targets pure; surprise is the key here. Since we are getting more people in on the joke, the potential for leaks increases, so please don’t sign up if you know you are bad at keeping a secret.

You must be available either Thursday night or Friday morning before the show opens. This rule is a little more lenient. Most of us will be doing the Pre-PAX dinner, Pub Crawl, or the like, so specifics at this time are sketchy. This is for a last minute meeting to go over anything that might have come up, and give opportunities for a run through of the physical prank. It will be coordinated to fit everyone’s schedules as best we can, and we will do two meetings if needed, but if you can’t be there on either day for 15 to 30 minutes tops, don’t bother signing up.

So if you're ready for an adrenaline fueled thrill ride, grab a lift with the 2014 PAX Prime Prank!

http://bit.ly/P14PrankApp

zerzhul on

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Don't forgot about the PAX Prank panel from last years Prime!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Submitted a volunteer form! Whether or not I get accepted, I'm so excited to see what you guys end up doing this year!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Apps will remain open until Thursday night, at which point I'll be contacting folks individually. You will hear back either way as long as the submitted email is valid and you can receive emails from the paxprank.org domain.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see what you guys come up with this year! Wish I could of been there for the Bad Horse and Boo Scare pranks!

• Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    I would help with this, but since this is my first PAX I'm just going to enjoy it and save my time for the expo. Good luck everybody!

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    EnglishseigeEnglishseige Registered User regular
    I dont know how i have missed this every year since 2010, theres no way im going to miss it this year.

• Options
    Star ForgeStar Forge Registered User regular
    Well I just applied so good luck to everyone who get selected!

Attending [E]nforcing: PAX East 2015 Vacation: [x] Flight: [x] Hotel: [x] [E] Schedule: []
    Attended: PAX Prime 2014
    Considering: PAX Prime 2015
  • Options
    ElderbornElderborn Registered User regular
    Now would this require us to join in at certain times or be semi-present with the group for a majority of the convention? This will be my first PAX, so I want to be able to enjoy a lot of it, but would absolutely love to be involved in this.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    My general wisdom that I apply is that first timer paxers might want to wait for their next pax. You certainly don't have to be with the group for the majority of the con (although some people are), it's definitely a join in at certain times, from time to time, but inevitably most first time paxers get very caught up in the con (as they should!) and don't show up to any prank related activities. The prank is definitely a "choose your own level of involvement" event, but it's never good for anyone to do a "yeah I'll show up at this time and place" and then no-show, and that's a lot of pressure to put on a first time attendee who is taking it all in.

That's certainly not to say that we don't accept first timers, but I tend to wave this flag of caution around a few times.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    I know I said I would process things Thursday night, but I'm going to leave this open for the night, and do it in the morning.

• Options
    wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    i sent in an application. i am also a first time paxer. i wasn't sure what days we had i thought it was just 3 so i put down that i'd confirm later. i'll be there all 4 days!
    i understand the caution with newbies but i agree it totally depends on the level of involvement needed. the boo prank for example looks like you just needed to volunteer for 1/2-1 hour on one day (unless it was done multiple times) which i think is reasonable.
    anyway i wish you guys much luck this year whether i get involved or not :) i just hope i'm there to see some of it lol! (right place/right time)

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Sent in my app, This will be my 4th PAX and I'll be at the Pre-PAX Dinner. I've seen the Pranksters in Action and think it'll be fun.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    All the applications have been processed. Everyone should have received a response from a paxprank.org email.

• Options
    seckzeeseckzee Saphyre SeattleRegistered User regular
    I wanted to apply! Is it too late?

• Options
    xiilyxiily Registered User new member
    Is it too late to apply to this?

• Options
    It is too late, yes. Applications closed on July 18th. Keep on the lookout for future paxes!

• Options
    seckzeeseckzee Saphyre SeattleRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It is too late, yes. Applications closed on July 18th. Keep on the lookout for future paxes!

Boo! Just missed it by one day. :neutral_face: