As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I want a giant earth golem wrecking stuff near the finale and then we see inside it that Toph is just sitting on an earth chair in its center sipping tea.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I want a giant earth golem wrecking stuff near the finale and then we see inside it that Toph is just sitting on an earth chair in its center sipping tea.

Honestly, I could do with a Legends of Toph miniseries.
    Just a couple episodes of short stories filling in between "I'm done being a cop. Bye." and "Hey Korra, welcome to my swamp."

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Just a couple episodes of short stories filling in between "I'm done being a cop. Bye." and "Hey Korra, welcome to my swamp."

I am 100% on board with this, especially if we can get some confirmation that Sokka is Sue's father.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

I am 100% on board with this, especially if we can get some confirmation that Sokka is Sue's father.
    Only if Zuko is Lin's father.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Earth, Earth, Earth, Earth. Only the Toph can master going where ever she wants and bring "balance" to whatever gets in her way.

Viskod on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Earth, Metal, Lava, Swamp More Earth

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Earth, Metal, Lava, Swamp More Earth
    Then, everything changed when the Not-Earth nation attacked.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey whatever happened to Varrick's new magnet suit from Book 3?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Those breakthroughs lead to the train they're currently riding in? *shrugs*

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Trailer spoilers
    0GB8w7o.jpg

I think we know.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    There is another named Red Lotus member besides Zaheer's gang, Aiwei, Suyin's (former) adviser. They also said that Unalaq was a member.

It is interesting how Toph
    seemed to have reverted to what she was like when she was a kid. She was pretty stressed out in the flashback where we saw her as a police chief. Now that she doesn't have any responsibilities anymore, she can be herself again.
    It was a perfectly Earthbender/Toph-esque manner of dealing with Korra's issues; No healing, no running from the problem, just get her to stand her ground and face it down.

Assuming this ends with a big action set-piece (and even if they find a non-violent way to resolving everything, I'll be surprised if there isn't some impressive action on the way), I want Zuko, Toph and Katara to feature.
    I won't even mind if they don't actually do anything. Just have some Earth Empire (or whatever) troops come round the corner and see them standing there. Cut away, with just some sound effects to let our imaginations fill in the details.

Toph didn't deal with Suyin's run in with the law that way. She covered the whole thing up and then resigned. So it's interesting to see how the stresses of family, work, and bureaucracy changed Toph, and how getting away from all that changed her back.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Er, we saw quite a few people besides Zaheer's group. They were just mostly nameless sentries.

Fair enough, one guy and a secret finale base.

Do you want detailed background on every single member of the organization? I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The point is that there were multiple other members of the society shown besides Zaheer and his core group.
    moniker wrote: »
    Show them start talking about evil plot of the episode in different safe houses that were run by random inn keepers and accessed by secret chess moves or something as an introduction and then nothing else. Instead it was all caves and camps.

Support for Zaheer and his group appearing in ways or places that suggests they actually are part of something bigger than just themselves. Safe houses, dead drops, supply caches, getting smuggled around, &c. by other members of the Red Lotus. You can do this in a way that's just scenery and/or takes less than a minute of setting. The way that the White Lotus was introduced (playing a special form of pai sho with somebody seemingly normal at what would have otherwise been a random inn) gave the implication that there is a massive network of people who support the cause that you can work with provided you know the secret code. The way the Red Lotus was introduced lacked that.

What they did with Aiwei could well have developed into that, but his motives or allegiances were never really explored.
    Plus he was immediately betrayed by Zaheer in the spirit world for getting tailed by Korra. Really the whole thing just felt like a deus ex machina to get Zaheer inside the 'safest city in the Earth kingdom' potentially via blackmail/bribery or strong arming rather than the Red Lotus having infiltrated every city in the Earth kingdom and deciding to take advantage of their good fortune to strike at the Avatar.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It sounds like people basically want the Red Lotus to be like Hydra in Agents of Shield.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Why does she need to be in the center? She can be back at the swamp sipping tea :)

• Options

Why does she need to be in the center? She can be back at the swamp sipping tea :)

Sitting back in safety while wrecking havoc in the middle of a fight?
    That doesn't sound like Toph.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Sipping tea doesn't sound like Toph either

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I want to see Toph quietly earthbend from half the Earth kingdom away to save one of her daughters.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Sipping tea sounds exactly like the one thing she would have picked up from Uncle Iroh before he went to the spirit world.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Sipping tea sounds exactly like the one thing she would have picked up from Uncle Iroh before he went to the spirit world.

Toph is the uncouth Iroh now.

She totally drinks tea with her slimy mushrooms.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So i recently plowed through Avatar:TLB and am starting on Korra. I'm only a few episodes in but im kinda undecided if i like it or not. does it get better? Korra kinda seems less likable then Aang in several ways.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So i recently plowed through Avatar:TLB and am starting on Korra. I'm only a few episodes in but im kinda undecided if i like it or not. does it get better? Korra kinda seems less likable then Aang in several ways.
    I don't think Korra gets much more likeable, unfortunately. I would say the new "Team Avatar" isn't as likeable overall as the old one.

But the fight scenes are better, the pacing is more cinematic, the social commentary has a few more shades of moral grays, and I really liked the higher-tech setting and (with one exception) the villains.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The first season is good but doesn't really match the previous series.

The second season is okay at best.

The third season is amazing.

The fourth season is continuing to be amazing.

Quid on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Qingu wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    I don't think Korra gets much more likeable, unfortunately. I would say the new "Team Avatar" isn't as likeable overall as the old one.

But the fight scenes are better, the pacing is more cinematic, the social commentary has a few more shades of moral grays, and I really liked the higher-tech setting and (with one exception) the villains.

Yeah, Bolin is probably the only one even close to being as likable as a Sokka or Toph, and none of them come close to matching Zuko in terms of character arc.

I'm still a little mad that we didn't get
    any classic blind jokes from Toph during the swamp training.

• Options

I guess she never saw an opportunity for one.

• Options

Why is there no "Boooo" button when we need them?

• Options

We should have seen that coming.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

We should have seen that coming.

You might even say we were blindsided.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it looked like a good joke to me!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Damn. Looks like I logged into reddit on accident.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Ha-Ha.
    Blind.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    She did say "You're blind compared to me."

Irony.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I see your point.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    What, no love for Toph's description of training Aang?
    I threw some rocks at him, he started whining and then Sokka fell in a hole.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    She did say "You're blind compared to me."

Irony.

don't you mean eye-rony?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I do like that toph described her daughters as not being very good at metal bending, when they're probably the best metal benders in the world other than toph

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    maaaaaaaybe. i get the sense that kuvira was pretty good with metal. also that pins and needles guy that was evil seems like he had some skills to pay the bills. i'm not sure if its good or bad that lin isn't better with it...like sometimes kids don't live up to their parents awesomeness.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Acupuncture guy was not evil. That was the lie detector guy.

• Options
    When the platinum mechs get broken out again:
    Toph: What, you guys can't bend them? [waves a hand]

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    This mech is pure platinum! There is no way you will be able to bend-

Toph does the Vader Choke
    Platinum mech is crushed into a baseball

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I do like that toph described her daughters as not being very good at metal bending, when they're probably the best metal benders in the world other than toph

Toph has a sliding scale of quality judgement it goes:

The Best
    Garbo

This method has served her well.