As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I'm kinda sad this is over now.
    mmmmh :(

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    DESTRUCTO DISK™ was an old Ghazan-trick, but I don't remember if Bolin saw it.
    I don't think he did.
    I was super pleased.

Also mako.
    Say what you like about mako, but I've always liked how reliable and solid he is in a clinch.
    If you ever find someone like that in your life, you hang onto them and value them. They're worth it.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I guess now we know why this season had that clip show and way less fighting.
    Saving the season's budget for these two episodes. DAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMN.

For most of my life, one of the things I have always wanted to see was wizards fighting nuclear weapons in a realistic manner. I feel like I can die a happy man now.

Also Kuvira was a great villain and <3 Korrasami.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    When kuvira
    ran into the vine forrest, I thought for a moment we were going to have a 'ghost' moment where enraged spirits would come out and drag her away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    When kuvira
    ran into the vine forrest, I thought for a moment we were going to have a 'ghost' moment where enraged spirits would come out and drag her away.

Me too.
    I'm glad it didn't happen because it would have been cheap.

When Korra spirit bent the cannon beam I nearly leapt out of my chair with excitement.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    No, Bolin, YOU'RE the awesome one

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Hahah.

Shipping.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Synthesis wrote: »

Hahah.

Shipping.

A lot of those are arguably boats though.

Relationboats.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »

vgh9hf.jpg

This is canon now. I think we all know it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Man, it was hit or miss there a few times, but my general feeling upon watching the finale?

Satisfaction.

That is a very rare thing to finish a series with. Usually the creators get SOMETHING wrong, or don't tie up all the loose ends, or forget about something, or try something stupid to get themselves out of a corner they've written themselves in. Bravo, involved parties, bravo.

I'm sad this is the end of the Avatar universe, but hopefully the creators can go on and create other new and interesting things, because they certainly have the chops to do so.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Yeah, at the end of the day I was there because of the characters.

While I love the world that they've created, as long as whatever project they do next makes me care about the characters the same way as each Avatar series did I'm on board.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I find it really fitting that the conflict ended by Korra talking Kuvira down. It was both a nice way to contrast with who Korra was at the beginning of the show, and it seemed like something Tenzin would've tried. So, in that respect, she was honoring both her mentor and the Avatar legacy. To me, that's far more satisfying than the writers pulling energy bending out of their asses at the last minute.

And I'm so happy Korrasami is essentially canon.

I am sad that Mako didn't end up with anyone. He was a solid guy. Not the awesome leading man the writers tried to make him in season 1 and part of season 2, but pretty good once they made him the adorkable stick-in-the-mud. Less was more with him.

I think I'll miss Varrick most of all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It was an ending that didn't feel like farewell. It felt like the beginning of a new chapter, for the characters and the world.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Only critique:

Mako/Bolin
    Hey, let's shoot those electrodes that seem to be gathering power from the spiritvine ball. NOPE! Let's create a potentially massive explosion in the middle of the city.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It was an ending that didn't feel like farewell. It felt like the beginning of a new chapter, for the characters and the world.

It's like Calvin and Hobbes's ending.

Only, y'know.

• Options

It's like Calvin and Hobbes's ending.

Only, y'know.

"It's a magical world... let's go exploring!"

Checks out

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I find it really fitting that the conflict ended by Korra talking Kuvira down. It was both a nice way to contrast with who Korra was at the beginning of the show, and it seemed like something Tenzin would've tried. So, in that respect, she was honoring both her mentor and the Avatar legacy. To me, that's far more satisfying than the writers pulling energy bending out of their asses at the last minute.

And I'm so happy Korrasami is essentially canon.

I am sad that Mako didn't end up with anyone. He was a solid guy. Not the awesome leading man the writers tried to make him in season 1 and part of season 2, but pretty good once they made him the adorkable stick-in-the-mud. Less was more with him.

I think I'll miss Varrick most of all.
    They actually pulled spiritbending out of their asses a long time ago.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    While I think we all know what happened during the last couple of minutes, I'm linking to this which has an excellent analysis of the ending in terms of visual staging.

Yogo on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Man, Korrisami snuck up on me. My gaydar must be broken.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

you're fine then considering they're probably bi!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    While I think we all know what happened during the last couple of minutes, I'm linking to this which has an excellent analysis of the ending in terms of visual staging.

That was fantastic. I agree with almost everything she says.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    I double-watched it last night because it was so rad.
    Someone earlier mentioned Final Fantasy 4? I still remember thinking the Giant of Babel was the coolest thing ever when I was in middle school, and this was about the most amazing homage possible.

And Pacific Rim of course, especially with the way Kuvira pilots the mech ... but I thought the action in Korra was way better. It actually made physical sense!

I just really hope these people continue making cartoons.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I wonder when the writers decided to go for this ending. Late Season 3? Mid Season 4?

I would actually like to know more about the whole process.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I wonder when the writers decided to go for this ending. Late Season 3? Mid Season 4?

Weren't seasons 3 and 4 developed at the same time? I'd guess that they plotted out season 3 and 4 together.

On a different note, I'm disappointed but not surprised in the backlash towards the very end of the ending that I'm seeing elsewhere on the Internet. There's a weird mix of denial and vitriol against how the show ended.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    homophobia is still a real thing and different countries and cultures can be better or worse about it

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Weren't seasons 3 and 4 developed at the same time? I'd guess that they plotted out season 3 and 4 together.

On a different note, I'm disappointed but not surprised in the backlash towards the very end of the ending that I'm seeing elsewhere on the Internet. There's a weird mix of denial and vitriol against how the show ended.

I found only blog posts excited about the ending when I trawled Ye Olde Internets for reactions to it.

Though I didn't look for very long or in very many places.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

I'd have appreciated a bit more foreshadowing in Season 2 if they were going to go this route (as is, the writers tend to put red herrings everywhere so I was expecting Mako and Korra to pair up again at the end) but I understand if that wasn't in the cards in terms of their development schedule.

A cynical part of me wonders if perhaps they made it a last-minute change once they heard about being moved online, but I don't think there would have been enough time.

• Options
    Season 2 was developed such that they didn't know they were getting more until it was too late to change much.

Seasons 3 and 4 were produced knowing exactly how much they were getting, so stuff ties together a lot better.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Season 2 was developed such that they didn't know they were getting more until it was too late to change much.

Seasons 3 and 4 were produced knowing exactly how much they were getting, so stuff ties together a lot better.

Uhh I thought they were they were confirmed for their entire run after the first book?

Book 1 was the only time they didn't know what they were getting

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

You see, Kuvira's actual plan was the Homosexual Agenda.
    The radiation from the spirit death ray reverses sexual preferences.
    Her ultimate aim was to undermine the moral authority of the Avatar by making her gay.
    It also explains why Varrick started noticing Zhu Li when he hadn't before.

This isn't the last you've seen of Kuvira. Wheels within wheels.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Regarding Kuvira...
    She's gonna get killed, right? I mean, she says she'll accept whatever punishment she's given, and she did annihilate an entire city and murder at least hundreds of people. If she pleads guilty and the Avatar doesn't seem to care whether she lives or dies, I'm assuming she gets the Avatar equivalent of the firing squad.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Ending ending spoilers
    B5UXQtMCQAAUrj_.png

Wow.

That's absolutely fantastic.

Good on them.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Regarding Kuvira...
    She's gonna get killed, right? I mean, she says she'll accept whatever punishment she's given, and she did annihilate an entire city and murder at least hundreds of people. If she pleads guilty and the Avatar doesn't seem to care whether she lives or dies, I'm assuming she gets the Avatar equivalent of the firing squad.
    Death penalty isn't a thing in the show. They keep the most deadly criminals in lock down even after they assassinate world leaders.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Regarding Kuvira...
    This is Nickelodeon. At most, the firing squad will line up, aim their rifles, and then Kuvira magically ejects and parachutes out at the last second.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

you're fine then considering they're probably bi!

Every indication of it, in fact. They never showed a hint of disliking men in any way shape or form. Bi-erasure is bad, so good on them!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Ending ending spoilers
    B5UXQtMCQAAUrj_.png

So... got a link to where they actually posted that?

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Here's the music for that final scene.

I may or may not have been listening to it on loop for a while now.

I love how the show ended with a version of the song that plays over the ending credits. It's always such a bitter sweet song.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Ending ending spoilers
    B5UXQtMCQAAUrj_.png

Sorry, not buying that this is from the actual creators.

Also, "Assami". Of all people, the creators would know how it's officially spelled.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc