As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I think that the season 4 villain is going to be Toph.

Evil Toph.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    258oyyx.jpg

KingofMadCows on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just so long as they don't pull a Naruto and introduce Necrobending.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if the main villain was someone who wasn't a bender at all. Amon fit that bill, up until he didn't.
    Varrick could be a villain, but he's a little too comic relief to turn into the big bad.
    Zhu-Li could emerge as the true threat, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Any chance that Jet is still alive?

It was really unclear.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bring back Pipsqueak and The Duke.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    I doubt a 80 year old man is going to pose much threat.

I mean, look at Zuko!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I hope they can work the Lieutenant into some sort of cameo in Season 4.

Obviously he'll be a good guy now because so much has changed. But he'll still be awesome.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The Season Four villain will be Cabbage Corp.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

and their cheap second rate airships will block out the sun!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm sure there will probably be a main villain, but it'd be a neat move if there was no big bad and Korra was instead left dealing with the consequences of the world she helped create.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Seriously, you don't introduce the fact that Varrick just invented the Iron Man suit, and do nothing with that fact. That is a serious cock tease right there.

I'll be both amused and gratified if Korra ends with Varrick being the entire show's Big Bad. Bonus points if they don't change anything about him. He's just that dangerous because...

I want the last season big bad to be Zhu Li. And the "thing" to be World Domination.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Ya know, I didn't really hate the relationship stuff in the previous Korra seasons, but I'm glad they left it out, as we got a lot more plot/awesome stuff in place of it.

And (end spoilers)
    kinda relieved all they did was show Korra tearful and sad; if they started it with Korra trying to smile for the ceremony and then breaking down in tears I feel that'd be a lot rougher. Woof.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Korra really needs to deal with the spirits more. They're kind of making a mess.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Yeah, whatever happened with the vines in Republic City?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That's part of what I'm hoping the next book focuses on. There were a lot of little threads that weren't wrapped up at the end of this season.

For example:
    The spirits, the Earth Kingdom bandits, Ba Sing Se's government getting overthrown, the Red Lotus still being active, etc.

Quid on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

and their cheap second rate airships will block out the sun!
    Then we will bend in the shade.

sig.gif
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Finished watching it again last night, this time with my fiancee. We both had a little cry at the end. Just a miraculous ending and I feel this show absolutely reaches the heights and feelings of ATLAB. Possibly even surpasses it.
    I love this world and these characters and never really want it to end.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I was traveling this whole season - is the whole thing available to stream online? Or just specific episodes?

Jragghen wrote: »
    So I was traveling this whole season - is the whole thing available to stream online? Or just specific episodes?

If you live in the States, you can stream it directly from nick's site.

If you live elsewhere....

Yogo wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

If you live in the States, you can stream it directly from nick's site.

If you live elsewhere....

You can get a plug-in to view it as if from the states. That's probably fine?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Regionbending.

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I've been watching Korra from Canada. I am from whichever country is most convenient at all times.

teriferin#1625
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I've been watching Korra from Canada. I am from whichever country is most convenient at all times.

countrybending

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    "Soon" isn't soon enough!

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I do wonder though if the scheduling mess and Nick's seeming desire to just get it over with might open the door for an unusually quick turnaround on season four. Seems early to be even teasing it if it's not coming out until next summer or something.

Also, I caught up on my podcasts and went looking for news ones, finally remembering to check out Janet Varney's (Korra) "J. V. Club" show. She and it are delightful, and it kiiinda sounds like you are listening to Korra interviewing LA comedians, which is just great.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I do wonder though if the scheduling mess and Nick's seeming desire to just get it over with might open the door for an unusually quick turnaround on season four. Seems early to be even teasing it if it's not coming out until next summer or something.

Also, I caught up on my podcasts and went looking for news ones, finally remembering to check out Janet Varney's (Korra) "J. V. Club" show. She and it are delightful, and it kiiinda sounds like you are listening to Korra interviewing LA comedians, which is just great.

Look at the date on this post. Book 4 must be really far along by now. I would expect it much sooner than later.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If they're going to go the online exclusive route, it serves no marketable purpose to not air the thing the second it's done.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    You say that, BUT, they clearly care SOMEWHAT about the marketing considering they're still funding a GAME.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I hope the game sells really well, it looks absolutely fantastic

I mean the show runners clearly know their audience, the depressing end of the last Korra clearly wasn't aimed at little kids, but Nick keeps advertising like the average viewer is 7, and they threw their hands up because the show had poor ratings and toy sales

if the game sells well maybe it'll get through their heads that they're just aiming the show at the wrong audience

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If they're going to go the online exclusive route, it serves no marketable purpose to not air the thing the second it's done.

Well, they do need time to advertise it. You can't just throw it up online and expect your audience to learn about it through cultural osmosis, or something.

Not sure how they advertise it, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I hope the game sells really well, it looks absolutely fantastic

I mean the show runners clearly know their audience, the depressing end of the last Korra clearly wasn't aimed at little kids, but Nick keeps advertising like the average viewer is 7, and they threw their hands up because the show had poor ratings and toy sales

if the game sells well maybe it'll get through their heads that they're just aiming the show at the wrong audience

Maybe that's the new direction 'adult' shows need to take?

Toys for 'kids'

Games for 'adults'.

I certainly would be more interested in buying a game than a toy.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Alternately, they need to recognize that kids stop playing with dolls/action figures younger and younger. My kids are 12 and 9, they watch and enjoy Korra with me, and neither has asked for a toy based on a show for years now.

Kids these days play video games, or on smart devices. They don't seem to play with "toys" quite as much anymore.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Alternately, they need to recognize that kids stop playing with dolls/action figures younger and younger. My kids are 12 and 9, they watch and enjoy Korra with me, and neither has asked for a toy based on a show for years now.

Kids these days play video games, or on smart devices. They don't seem to play with "toys" quite as much anymore.

Conversely, adults are more than happy to buy toys and figures. As long as they're high enough quality of course, the usual garbage cartoons get doesn't cut it.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Conversely, adults are more than happy to buy toys and figures. As long as they're high enough quality of course, the usual garbage cartoons get doesn't cut it.

Exactly, I don't understand the reverse.

The Power Rangers Legacy stuff that came out recently got fuckin' gobbled up by adults that want displays or just collectors. Meanwhile, the crappy Avatar toys that ever do get made languish on shelves because they are just that, shitty. No one wants a display of a poorly cast, badly painted character, even if it did only cost them $8 or whatever.

I'd gladly pay more than that for quality pieces I could actually display.

Yeah, but that was for boys.

Korra is a girl.

Which means boys aren't interested in merchandise of her.

[/executivethink]

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Trying to make animated shows for older audiences has been a problem for a long time. Beware the Batman was canceled because Cartoon Network wanted younger viewers. Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series were canceled because their merchandise wouldn't sell. Although, the failure of the Green Lantern movie also contributed to the cancellation of the show since the movie toys didn't sell so toy stores were hesitant to order merchandise based on the show.

The problem goes all the way back to all the DCAU shows. They were able to get Justice League on the air because at the time, the Cartoon Network heads were willing to pursue an older audience.

They were given freedom with shows like Batman Beyond, Superman: TAS, and Batman: TAS because the network execs were lenient. Even then, they were asked to make the shows more kid friendly and add stuff that can be made into merchandise. With Batman Beyond, they were asked to do more high school episodes. With Batman: TAS, they were asked to put Robin in more stuff since the execs thought that kids could relate to Robin better, and that's why they changed the show's title to "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" later in its run.

KingofMadCows on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Trying to make animated shows for older audiences has been a problem for a long time. Beware the Batman was canceled because Cartoon Network wanted younger viewers. Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series were canceled because their merchandise wouldn't sell. Although, the failure of the Green Lantern movie also contributed to the cancellation of the show since the movie toys didn't sell so toy stores were hesitant to order merchandise based on the show.

The problem goes all the way back to all the DCAU shows. They were able to get Justice League on the air because at the time, the Cartoon Network heads were willing to pursue an older audience.

They were given freedom with shows like Batman Beyond, Superman: TAS, and Batman: TAS because the network execs were lenient. Even then, they were asked to make the shows more kid friendly and add stuff that can be made into merchandise. With Batman Beyond, they were asked to do more high school episodes. With Batman: TAS, they were asked to put Robin in more stuff since the execs thought that kids could relate to Robin better, and that's why they changed the show's title to "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" later in its run.

Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS were also syndicated. They drew in good audiences for local TV stations, who didn't give a shit about toys.