As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 shot down in Ukraine

1121314151618»

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Putin came back because he needed the constitution altered before he could do so with a veneer of legitimacy. (Though him coming back still sparked massive protests.)

Medvedev couldn't have been more of a puppet unless he was biologically made of felt, to quote one John Oliver.
    So, Putin takes Medvedev to a restaurant and orders a steak. "What about the vegetable?" the waiter asks. Putin looks at Medvedev and says, "The vegetable will have steak, too."

Meanwhile.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/225093/biden-told-putin-he-has-no-soul-to-his-face/

can't wait for the Fox spin on this.

Obama's presidency is anti-christian, his Vice President denies the existence of souls.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    And a local Malaysian newspaper I read just posted a column by a guy who thinks this whole incident is a 'false flag' operation, and even tried to insinuate that there was a link between this and MH370.

Dammit.

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    And a local Malaysian newspaper I read just posted a column by a guy who thinks this whole incident is a 'false flag' operation, and even tried to insinuate that there was a link between this and MH370.

Dammit.

That is predictable though. You have one flight down and nobody really knows why or where. Then another Malaysian flight is shot down over Ukraine not even six months later, and that is surrounded in "controversy" (Not really, but the Russians would sure love everyone to believe that). It is the sort of situation ripe for conspiracy theories. Just bothersome when news sources give these guys column space/air time since it tends to legitimize the view point to others.

I agree it is frustrating.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    You forgot the more recent third flight that fell off radar.

(Not malasian air this time)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    The answer is clearly a 10,000 year surge in the power of the Bermuda Triangle.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Why stop there?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Why stop there?

Is that true? If it is, then wow we were close.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Why stop there?

Is that true? If it is, then wow we were close.

Yeah, NASA says we missed it by about a week. So, pretty close.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    What's that tom? We've just discovered to make a shitty situation even shitier-er?

Da, you see, we will plant landmines around the crash site! No pesky looters to worry about now!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/30/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    What's that tom? We've just discovered to make a shitty situation even shitier-er?

Da, you see, we will plant landmines around the crash site! No pesky looters to worry about now!

Sigh...

My dad unfortunately tends to find the crazier conspiracy nut websites, and today informed me that all the landmines etc. are an attempt by the US to drag the whole affair out to make Putin look bad.

I did not engage (for reference, he also believes the moon landings were a hoax).

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Archangle wrote: »

Sigh...

My dad unfortunately tends to find the crazier conspiracy nut websites, and today informed me that all the landmines etc. are an attempt by the US to drag the whole affair out to make Putin look bad.

I did not engage (for reference, he also believes the moon landings were a hoax).

Conspiracy theorist!?

More like Truth Theorist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

• YogoYogo Registered User regular

Sigh...

Does he also believe that MH17 is really MH370 or that it was filled with dead ebola stricken corpses and Russia shot it down because they knew in advance of the severity of the outbreak in West Africa?

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yogo wrote: »

Sigh...

Does he also believe that MH17 is really MH370 or that it was filled with dead ebola stricken corpses and Russia shot it down because they knew in advance of the severity of the outbreak in West Africa?
    Nono, he's one of the garden varieties that believes The Government TM is behind everything, and that it's both simultaneously incredibly competent for orchestrating these worldwide conspiracies and incredibly incompetent for not following his (incredibly obvious, of course) favoured policies.

Archangle on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    NPR had a little bit on the crash. Talking about interviewing some of the locals in the area:
    You know, it's been really harrowing for them. And when I was reporting on this, one the things that kind of made me a bit mad was how a lot of people were writing on instances of looting. The majority of the people I spoke with there - that was not the case at all. A lot of people were bringing things to the town hall, bringing things to emergency workers - the problem is is that there wasn't really an organized system for people to hand over things that they found. And beyond that, the people on the ground - rather than being looters, I would characterize them as, you know, equal victims in this situation because not only were they living in a warzone - not only were they living in that situation, then suddenly they have the remains of this Boeing 777 and its 298 passengers fall on their town. And basically, bodies fell on their homes, in their yards, on the street. Pieces of the plane fell on their homes. In one case a body fell through a woman's roof. You know, people, then, later on - a day later or two days later would find pieces of bodies in their gardens or on their farms. And because there was a lot of chaos going on and there wasn't the same kind of emergency response effort that you would've gotten if they weren't in a war zone, basically a lot of stuff remained for a long time and was never really picked up. And even today as they're fighting in this area, pieces of the plane are lying everywhere.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Dutch and Australian cops and OSCE have made it to the crash site and begun an investigation. Russian air investigators are in Kiev hoping to make the trip as well for whatever dumbass reason.

Ukraine and Russia are apparently entering brokered talks with OSCE in Belarus today as well.

Lh96QHG.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    About a week later and the Dutch investigators are leaving the area and returning to the Netherlands (Article in Dutch).

There has been too much fighting too near the crash site to guarantee the safety of the investigators so they're packing up and leaving.

I wonder if they'll return once everything's calmed down. I hope so, but I also wonder what would be left to investigate.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The report on the crash was released.

Surprising no fucking person on Earth it was a missile.

Though the Russians claim it is totally another kind of missile that only Ukraine would have.

I want someone to ask the Russians a question.

Why the fucking fuck fuck would the Ukrainians deploy anti-air batteries. THE REBELS DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING AIRFORCE.

Rchanen on
    Also Harvester (Geth) likes profanity.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

Though the Russians claim it is totally another kind of missile that only Ukraine would have.

Why the fucking fuck fuck would the Ukrainians deploy anti-air batteries. THE REBELS DO NOT HAVE A FUCKING AIRFORCE.

don't know if you got the wrong link of BBC changed it, but here's the correct article.

Wraith260 wrote: »

don't know if you got the wrong link of BBC changed it, but here's the correct article.

No that was all me.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    also, i have to admit i didn't read the full thread title earlier and it wasn't until i looked at the article that i realised you weren't talking about the other Malaysian Airlines flight that crashed. spent a good minute or so wondering why Russia was launching missiles over the Indian Ocean and why what wasn't a bigger story. not my finest moment.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The report surprises no-one and Russia's reaction surprises no-one.
    In July, Russia vetoed a draft resolution at the UN Security Council to set up an international tribunal into the MH17 air disaster.

President Vladimir Putin said at the time that such a tribunal would be "premature" and "counterproductive".

Well, now that the report's out, surely setting up an international tribunal would no longer be "premature".

• Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular

Yeah, by far the most likely explanation has been that it was rebel-operated Buk either captured from the Ukrainian military or given to them by the Russians, with a distant second going to "colossal fuck-up by the Russian military pretending to be rebels". Pictures show rebel Buk launchers in the area at the time. The rebel tweets crowing about having shot down a Ukrainian AF plane in that area just before the airliner news broke are just icing on the cake.

Ukraine was no more likely to fire at an airliner thinking it was part of a nonexistent rebel air force than they were to blow the fuck out of a cruise liner in the Black Sea because they thought it was a rebel battleship.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    In July, Russia vetoed a draft resolution at the UN Security Council to set up an international tribunal into the MH17 air disaster.

President Vladimir Putin said at the time that such a tribunal would be "premature" and "counterproductive".

Well, now that the report's out, surely setting up an international tribunal would no longer be "premature".

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/russia-appeals-aviation-body-open-mh17-probe-34462505

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

It would, however, remain counter productive (to Russia's goals).