As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Art & Animation Journey of LEGACY - [[NSFW]- GIF Heavy!]

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    The last "step" seems a bit fast...not sure if it looks weird because it cuts out immediately after or not, but it's a minor critique.

Your animations are generally looking really solid, though the characters/creatures don't appear to have a solid "weight" to them all the time. The movement seems smooth and immediate, and how I'd expect (a) a guy with heavy armor to move, or (b) a creature supporting its weight on its wings. These are really subtle changes I'm talking about, but I think if you added them in it would help with the believability.

As an example, the dragon-like creature bobs its head at the exact same time its wings/feet hit the ground. There's usually a small delay with the head bobbing for a long-necked creature, as the weight is transferred to the legs (and wings in this case), and then the head bobs. This was the best animation I could find that shows this slight delay:

There's a similar issue with your running human animations, and the last animation of the guy...the head bob doesn't seem to really exist there, but there's no sense of the character having to really push their body around. The running animation looks like a person wearing regular light clothes, trying to tiptoe across hot sand, or "floating" over the ground plane.

I'd suggest you try to add a stronger sense of the legs pushing the body up in walking/running animations.

Your current animations look a bit like this (floating, little to no weight, unnaturally smooth movement:)

I'd try to incorporate a bit more of this: (visible pushing off from ground; headbob)...start at the 0:25 mark

Thanks for taking the time to critique! I haven't done dinos/dragons before so I expected them to come out a little weaker, I'll definitely try harder though especially with the ref provided.

For the running are you referring to this:

http://i.minus.com/i3yOIzc71Dxij.gif or this https://31.media.tumblr.com/970665396f094c407b46594cc97ed6cc/tumblr_inline_nitya8v3GS1s7ignu.gif ? The unity manequin is placeholder anim from unity, the guy in armour is my dude. This was done a while back I'm sure it could be improved like you said either way though :)

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    LegacyGame wrote: »
    http://i.minus.com/i3yOIzc71Dxij.gif or this https://31.media.tumblr.com/970665396f094c407b46594cc97ed6cc/tumblr_inline_nitya8v3GS1s7ignu.gif ? The unity manequin is placeholder anim from unity, the guy in armour is my dude. This was done a while back I'm sure it could be improved like you said either way though :)

Oooooh okay. Yeah the first gif is spot on - I was looking at the Unity placeholder gifs/videos. :) Nevermind!

edited June 2015
    The Legend of Soulcraft Bros, I think gets the idea across best

tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go3_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go4_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go10_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go8_540.jpg
    tumblr_nprdiodXdM1sg3x5go9_540.jpg

LegacyGame on
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go1_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go4_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go3_r2_500.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go2_r2_500.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go6_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go7_r1_500.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Nice to see some drawing. You have really solid looking sketches. The cleanliness of the lines actually makes me think of DMACs work.

This last dude, it seems like you are turning his nose in space a little too much, if that makes any sense. Its like at the end you shift the center line back, but he doesn't seem to be snarling in a way that would pull one side to another direction.

Iruka on
    Iruka wrote: »
    Nice to see some drawing. You have really solid looking sketches. The cleanliness of the lines actually makes me think of DMACs work.

This last dude, it seems like you are turning his nose in space a little too much in space if that makes any sense. Its like at the end you shift the center line back, but he doesn't seem to be snarling in a way that would pull one side to another direction.

Yeah I gotta go back do a bunchof fixes on that ended that commission really late. Finishing another right now though

streaming__by_legacygame-d8x6huf.jpg

https://picarto.tv/live/channel.php?watch=Legacy

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    the tangent with Mario's overalls buttons makes Samus look like she has little mouse ears on her helmet.

I imagine color will fix it but it took me a minute to unsee Samouse, because it was the first thing that drew me into the drawing.

that's a really nice lineart, though!

edited June 2015
    the tangent with Mario's overalls buttons makes Samus look like she has little mouse ears on her helmet.

I imagine color will fix it but it took me a minute to unsee Samouse, because it was the first thing that drew me into the drawing.

that's a really nice lineart, though!

Tempted to make a mickeymouse samus : p

Fixed the dog

tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go2_r3_540.jpg
    tumblr_npumhoY0k91sg3x5go3_r3_540.jpg

Here's the smashbros lineart

tumblr_nppnbbbay11u8f0o5o6_r1_500.jpg

And another one I'm working on

tumblr_npary4WilR1u8f0o5o10_r1_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
    edited June 2015
    Know how it moves

tumblr_ng0lv1U5FX1sg3x5go1_r7_500.gif

Finding out how it looks

tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go2_r3_500.jpg
    tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go4_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go3_r2_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
    Startin a new stream
    streaming__by_legacygame-d8x6huf.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    LegacyGame wrote: »
    Know how it moves

tumblr_ng0lv1U5FX1sg3x5go1_r7_500.gif

Finding out how it looks

tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go2_r3_500.jpg
    tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go4_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go3_r2_500.jpg

I really like the wooden armor on this guy. It's a neat take on this sort of creature I haven't really seen before.

edited June 2015
    From the stream

tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o1_r9_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o2_r5_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o3_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o7_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o8_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o4_r2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq2entKyMH1u8f0o5o6_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq8ii4Lqyo1u8f0o5o2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nq8ii4Lqyo1u8f0o5o1_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
    Enc wrote: »
    I really like the wooden armor on this guy. It's a neat take on this sort of creature I haven't really seen before.

I hope it looks like a rock monster now, most think it's a robot xD

Learnin' some paint from Sakimi Feng Loish Kr0n and all that

tumblr_nqbusiL1Hq1u8f0o5o2_r2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nqbusiL1Hq1u8f0o5o3_r2_540.jpg

edited June 2015
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go1_r1_540.gif
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go5_r1_540.gif
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go4_r1_540.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    This thread is awesome. I'm not much of a gamer as I've stayed with pretty much just WoW over the last few years but watching this development makes me want to play and buy this.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    Your drawings are generally excellent, but I think you're placing the breasts too low, and too close together (in both of the last images). In the last image, it also seems like both mammaries are facing the camera more than they should be.

If you're aiming for sagging zombie breasts (that's a term you don't hear every day) in the first one, you still need to make sure the origin of the top of the breasts starts on the pecs. Here you have them beginning near the sternum, which is much too low. Similarly, since breasts align with the pecs, it seems you've placed the breasts too close together. Free-flyin' natural breasticles don't touch in the middle like that (even if they're absolutely huge). They fall to either side of the ribcage.

For the 2nd one, you made them perfectly round, giant, with buoyant centered nipples, and added a long edge of the pectoralis(?) muscles again. It looks very odd. You'd end up with more of an angled line to show the edge of the pecs here rather than something vertical.

In both of these, it seems one of the contributing problems is that you've placed the inner edge of the shoulders very close together (the top of the chest is the same width as both shoulders, if not smaller), and it makes it seem like the shoulders are overlapping the torso. It doesn't leave you much room to properly place the breasts.

Breasts.

g11585hv559p.jpg

Also as an aside, you should probably throw "NSFW" in your thread title.

Your drawings are generally excellent, but I think you're placing the breasts too low, and too close together (in both of the last images). In the last image, it also seems like both mammaries are facing the camera more than they should be.

If you're aiming for sagging zombie breasts (that's a term you don't hear every day) in the first one, you still need to make sure the origin of the top of the breasts starts on the pecs. Here you have them beginning near the sternum, which is much too low. Similarly, since breasts align with the pecs, it seems you've placed the breasts too close together. Free-flyin' natural breasticles don't touch in the middle like that (even if they're absolutely huge). They fall to either side of the ribcage.

For the 2nd one, you made them perfectly round, giant, with buoyant centered nipples, and added a long edge of the pectoralis(?) muscles again. It looks very odd. You'd end up with more of an angled line to show the edge of the pecs here rather than something vertical.

In both of these, it seems one of the contributing problems is that you've placed the inner edge of the shoulders very close together (the top of the chest is the same width as both shoulders, if not smaller), and it makes it seem like the shoulders are overlapping the torso. It doesn't leave you much room to properly place the breasts.

Breasts.

This was really helpful dude, I certainly don't draw enough breasts (you can never draw enough breasts), the 2nd one was supposed to be squished because of the dress but it seems I'm drawing them too close anyway so it only gets compounded. Now excuse me while I go draw some breasts >:3

Vimeo is taking its sweet time but you can look at the gifs for now

tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go1_r2_540.gif
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go4_r2_400.gif
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go5_r2_400.gif
    tumblr_np9hsk0XC11sg3x5go6_r1_540.gif

edited June 2015
    Here's that AYCHE DEE! 1 more pass for the face

LegacyGame on
    After I finish the 2nd half of the other thing I got this lined up doing the blocking now

[img][/img]tumblr_nqjge17zmo1sg3x5go1_540.jpg

tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go7_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_npym07v8ZM1sg3x5go5_r1_540.jpg

edited June 2015
    tumblr_nqp27yGJmf1sg3x5go1_r1_1280.jpg

LegacyGame on
    The font might need some manual touchup on that. You can see the pixelized edges pretty clearly.

Also, is that supposed to be carved out of marble? You may want to play with the Inner Shadow parameter called "Range", so you can give the shadow a sharper edge. It presently looks like two pieces of paper, with the top layer having cut-out text.

If you want to make it look even more like it's been carved, you could play with the Inner Bevel settings instead.

edited June 2015
    The font might need some manual touchup on that. You can see the pixelized edges pretty clearly.

Oh it's a mock up at very low res, I was exploring some new types, actually I got a few more based on the thicker style, the final res is done at 4k with proper lighting like the current one that's on the banner which was done a really long time ago, I think when I finalize the next one I'll actually do it in 3d this time.

The problem with the one I posted prior is that it's too thin to make a beveled version, it's probably best as a reading typeface, so I'll probably keep it or try and make a thick version of it that can be beveled.

D8Xh8EL.jpg

These are some of the many iterations for the one that can be beveled

9gHaqXz.jpg

LegacyGame on
    edited July 2015
    Took another U turn on the type and went even thicker

tumblr_nqp27yGJmf1sg3x5go2_r1_1280.jpg

LegacyGame on
    You looking for a romanesque feel here or a turn of the century 1920s feel here?

You looking for a romanesque feel here or a turn of the century 1920s feel here?

Romanesque I would suppose, something big and bold enough to be beveled and heavily textured. Although my process is generally just look on dafont and cross fingers to frankenstein something cool lol.

tumblr_nqwtf7e3hp1u8f0o5o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nqwtf7e3hp1u8f0o5o2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nqwtf7e3hp1u8f0o5o3_540.jpg

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Dude I'm loving these drawings you're putting up. Your art is super clean and looks very well thought out, plus I can definitely tell how everything sits in space, which is something I struggle with. And I love your hands and feet. Are you working from reference much, or are you just to the point where you have an implicit understanding of that anatomy? Edit: hands and feet mainly. They stand out as being well put together.

acadia on
    acadia wrote: »
    Dude I'm loving these drawings you're putting up. Your art is super clean and looks very well thought out, plus I can definitely tell how everything sits in space, which is something I struggle with. And I love your hands and feet. Are you working from reference much, or do are you just to the point where you have an implicit understanding of that anatomy?

I always have reference for whatever I struggle with, if I know what I'm doing I don't use it obviously but if there's any struggle I try and find something to help me understand what I'm doing.

Some studies I did prepping for 2 commissions

tumblr_nok3x8jp4F1u8f0o5o4_r1_1280.jpg

You're drawings a really structurally solid. Reminds me alot of eyecagers stuff. I feel like your colors maybe a little chalky/muddy, but I cant really get a read on it from the stuff you've posted. I dont think we've really seen a finished, colored illustration yet, so I don't know if that's a point to get into or not.

Love the studies, though. Really nice volume going on.

edited July 2015
    Iruka wrote: »
    You're drawings a really structurally solid. Reminds me alot of eyecagers stuff. I feel like your colors maybe a little chalky/muddy, but I cant really get a read on it from the stuff you've posted. I dont think we've really seen a finished, colored illustration yet, so I don't know if that's a point to get into or not.

Love the studies, though. Really nice volume going on.

Colour and shading is definitely something I don't do enough of, it's like a final step that I never finish because I haven't create a method of steps to approach it yet with all its render passes. If I have anything that's finished colour wise it's probably just cell shaded:

tumblr_nos2zzJU8z1u8f0o5o4_r2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nos2zzJU8z1u8f0o5o5_r1_500.jpg

LegacyGame on
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Hey, this is great stuff! I'm experienced with Unity3D development, be glad to help you get into it if you're looking to get some simple mockups going.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    Those anatomy studies are absolutely killer <3 I'm curious what you're referencing for those? Regardless, it's great to see all the 2D stuff on this page! Everything looks solid and well-constructed. Keep it up!

The cell shading looks pretty good, and it makes alot of sense for your style. I feel you on finding a method that works for you. If you force yourself to take more things to finish, you'll start finding a preference for certain things.

My preferences is generally for more variety in the pallet. Yours look pretty utilitarian right now, they work, but if you can find some artists you like who do a bang up job on color, try taking their pallet and a applying it to your own stuff.

Color is a great place to play and experiment, love to see you give it more of a shot.