As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    You think soloing him is hard?

Try getting summoned by someone...who hasn't destroyed a single ashen idol outside the arena.

Fun times!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Soloing the Fume Knight got a lot easier when I started rolling to the right every time, regardless of his attack type

If you do that, you won't get hit by the backswing of his greatsword sweeps, but more importantly he won't rotate far enough to attack effectively with his straight sword

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Oh fuck DLC SPOILERS
    What do I do now with the crowns? I have no idea! Play through the game again for a new ending? Is that it? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Talk to the memory of Vendrick until you exhaust his dialogue

That's now hat I meant, I did that already IVORY KING SPOILERS
    Vendrick then modifies your crowns and a font flashes over the screen saying something like "a faint heat radiates from the crowns". According to reddit all the crowns now have a 100% resist curse effect AND prevent you from hollowing as long as you wear them.

What doesn't make sense is that Vendrick, talking about the curse, says "...and manking is reduced to wandering around aimlessly again for eternity...unless! Seek strength, and the rest will follow"

Implying that now that I have the new crowns I should do something and that will help against the curse? Only reddit claims there is nothing else to do?

Did they forget to remove that line from the game? It makes no sense.

But you need to answer the important question. Do they stack on top of each other like a giant cake???

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I really do need to try and get back into DS2 now that all the DLC is out. But the entire time playing it to get to the DLC content, I've just been kinda "Eeeeeh. I don't want to do this anymore"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Oh fuck DLC SPOILERS
    What do I do now with the crowns? I have no idea! Play through the game again for a new ending? Is that it? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Talk to the memory of Vendrick until you exhaust his dialogue

That's now hat I meant, I did that already IVORY KING SPOILERS
    Vendrick then modifies your crowns and a font flashes over the screen saying something like "a faint heat radiates from the crowns". According to reddit all the crowns now have a 100% resist curse effect AND prevent you from hollowing as long as you wear them.

What doesn't make sense is that Vendrick, talking about the curse, says "...and manking is reduced to wandering around aimlessly again for eternity...unless! Seek strength, and the rest will follow"

Implying that now that I have the new crowns I should do something and that will help against the curse? Only reddit claims there is nothing else to do?

Did they forget to remove that line from the game? It makes no sense.

But you need to answer the important question. Do they stack on top of each other like a giant cake???

Nope. One giant missed opportunity!!!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    IMO soloing Fume Knight is way easier than using help anyway. I don't even like phantom'ing to help people on the fight because he's not really designed to be co-oped imo. He becomes harder to kill, but most of his attacks are either AOE or have big swing arcs, so you end up with hosts just getting smoked anyway while you try to do all the work, but now he's twice as hard for you to kill.

I don't know how much of it was my experience learning him on my first character and how much was my ultra greatsword doing so much damage per hit to him, but yeah i just annihilated him on my heavy armor/UGS character. I love having heavy armor and an UGS but still having 100 AGI and a good roll. Praise royal soldiers and 3rd dragon rings. =)

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    I really do need to try and get back into DS2 now that all the DLC is out. But the entire time playing it to get to the DLC content, I've just been kinda "Eeeeeh. I don't want to do this anymore"

If you're trying to just get to the DLC on a new character, it only takes like maybe 10 hours of playtime or even less if you used some speedrun tactics.

It's crazy to me how fast I can get through every area in DS2 now that I know exactly which items I want for each character build so can skip most items, etc.

I just started my UGS Fume Knight cosplay character that i'm going to do the 3rd DLC with and it only took me about 10 hours to get to the ashen mist heart, and that was with doing a lot of stuff that is purely optional. I did last giant, pursuer, dragonrider, old dragonslayer, flexile sentry, ruin sentinels, gargoyles, skeleton lords, covetous, mytha, smelter, old iron king, scorpioness, freja, lost sinner, the rotten. guardian dragon, and boom, ashen mist heart. And you could skip a ton of what I did.

I think I could probably do dragonrider, straight through copse through old iron king, drop down do the rotten, do either ruin sentinels then lost sinner, or last giant/pursuer then lost sinner, do scorpioness then straight to freja, then just head straight through aldia's and go get the ashen mist heart.

I always like taking out most of the bosses with my new characters though just because I always make new characters on some theme and I like fighting the bosses with that. Just come up with a cool idea for a character and it'll feel like less of a chore. Either that or maybe just don't do the DLC until you feel the itch to play again. Maybe make a character that uses the new bluemoon longsword skin?

I'm still trying to figure out who is going to use it for me. Thinking about maybe power stancing majestic greatsword with the blue longsword for those Artorias acrobatics, but i'm worried about the stat spread i'll need for such a build. Having to go 20/20 int/faith on a character I probably won't cast spells on at all does not excite me.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    northwarder hood fashion souls item of the year

it goes with everything

• Options
    edited September 2014
    this first boss jesus christ

hm alonne and fume knight were pretty good

let's take fume knight's ridiculous range and sweeps, combine it with alonne's weird-ass timings and subtle telegraphing and see what happens

edit: whew. good boss but

jesus

Elendil on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    this first boss jesus christ

hm alonne and fume knight were pretty good

let's take fume knight's ridiculous range and sweeps, combine it with alonne's weird-ass timings and subtle telegraphing and see what happens

edit: whew. good boss but

jesus

You're in for a treat!

• Options
    I gotta say, I love what From has done with the invading phantoms in these DLCs. Just took them to the next level. Everybody knows about Maldron running and hiding with the enemies in the iron king DLC. But the shenanigans in the new DLC are just off the charts hilarity. Putting inside spoilers for people who don't want to know and haven't done them yet:
    Maldron's back, and now he doesn't give an invasion message and wears a white ring so you hopefully get fooled into thinking he's an ally and will try to backstab you while you pull the lever, chucks corrosive urns at you, constantly runs away to try to make you fight him with other enemies, and he'll run and force you to fight him alongside the covetous demon mini boss.

There's another one that uses chameleon and will move around while illusioned if you're in your menus, and will wait to backstab you while you're trying to open chests and what not.

• Options

it goes with everything

Quoting this just because you mentioned the northwarder hood. Each piece of the northwarder set gives ~+4 seconds to the duration of weapon/body buffs which IMO is pretty hotness. It also looks great. I always have a hard time on what armor I want to wear when I make a character that uses light armor and magic, so this will make it an easy choice.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I gotta say, I love what From has done with the invading phantoms in these DLCs. Just took them to the next level. Everybody knows about Maldron running and hiding with the enemies in the iron king DLC. But the shenanigans in the new DLC are just off the charts hilarity. Putting inside spoilers for people who don't want to know and haven't done them yet:
    Maldron's back, and now he doesn't give an invasion message and wears a white ring so you hopefully get fooled into thinking he's an ally and will try to backstab you while you pull the lever, chucks corrosive urns at you, constantly runs away to try to make you fight him with other enemies, and he'll run and force you to fight him alongside the covetous demon mini boss.

There's another one that uses chameleon and will move around while illusioned if you're in your menus, and will wait to backstab you while you're trying to open chests and what not.
    i went right past the chest with the chameleon one, because i wanted to make sure he wasn't hiding up the stairs around the corner. go up, swing the camera around

and yeeeeeeeeep

i thought i was being clever

i love that he does a duel bow right afterward.
    Joshmvii wrote: »

it goes with everything

Quoting this just because you mentioned the northwarder hood. Each piece of the northwarder set gives ~+4 seconds to the duration of weapon/body buffs which IMO is pretty hotness. It also looks great. I always have a hard time on what armor I want to wear when I make a character that uses light armor and magic, so this will make it an easy choice.
    the weight is crazy low, too

i was trying to sub out a piece of it to get my weight below the 30% threshold for the boss, and only found two other pairs of leggings that were lighter in my entire inventory: the lion mage skirt and prisoner waistcloth.

• Options
    Anyone at around 256K soul memory want to help me with the executioner chariot on PC? I just want to murder a tiny man for a scythe, but I'm having so much trouble with the chariot for some goddamn reason. I think it's cause I'm using a really big slow weapon, so it's hard to take out the skeletons before they get to me and start whittling me down.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Anyone at around 256K soul memory want to help me with the executioner chariot on PC? I just want to murder a tiny man for a scythe, but I'm having so much trouble with the chariot for some goddamn reason. I think it's cause I'm using a really big slow weapon, so it's hard to take out the skeletons before they get to me and start whittling me down.
    have you tried alluring skulls? they make it so much less of a chore.

• Options
    *blinks* I.....Did not even consider that. Shit. I don't REALLY want to experiment though, as the current playthrough I'm on has gone TERRIBLY, and I'm actually out of effigies.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    *blinks* I.....Did not even consider that. Shit. I don't REALLY want to experiment though, as the current playthrough I'm on has gone TERRIBLY, and I'm actually out of effigies.

If you want to be really cheesy, after you take out the first group of skeletons and necromancer, sit in a hole and just shoot poison arrows at the chariot. It only takes a few arrows to kill it.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

If you want to be really cheesy, after you take out the first group of skeletons and necromancer, sit in a hole and just shoot poison arrows at the chariot. It only takes a few arrows to kill it.
    The problem usually ends up actually killing the necromancer. I only have one decent weapon, and it's a murakamo. Which is large and slow, and that necromancer is good at zappin me before I get the chance to actually kill it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DLC Weapon:
    I did some googling on the Curved Nil Greatsword, and it looks the part of the description saying "the farther the wielder travels, the deadlier the blade becomes" refers to advancing to NG+ and beyond. The higher the NG you're in, the higher the scaling gets, up to +100 bonus AR in NG+9.

Pretty interesting!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So the weapon you can make from Aava's soul is... peculiar. Is it any good, though?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    from can eat a dick for every charred loyce knight

spoiler alert: that's a lot of dicks

Elendil on
  • Options
    from can eat a dick for every charred loyce knight

spoiler alert: that's a lot of dicks
    And none of the assholes ever drop their god damn souls. When I get summoned for the boss, out of the entire horde I only get like one or two souls. Some parts of this DLC are straight bullshit.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    i only have three knights for the chaos thing and apparently it's not enough. okay. had to look up the fourth one because fuck if i know where it is. oh the entrance to the area is nowhere near any bonfire whatsoever. okay. go down an elevator and it's a whole bunch of Bonewheel 2: electric boogaloos. okay. get past that, and some NPC hexer invades, uses walk of peace on me and stunlocks me to death with heavenly bolt. and there is no bonfire anywhere in between.

and i know that fucker maldron is somewhere down here.

i'm kind of done for now i think. i've been through this fucking level 100 times, since the bonfires are so scarce and don't allow backtracking. at times i wore two weapons down to the breaking point in succession between bonfires. it's ridiculous. and on top of that you have to redo the whole goddamn thing at least once thanks to the ice melt thing. way 2 pad out completion time.

so the level design is a sprawling, tedious mess.

on top of this, the enemyies are completely, since they have ridiculous poise (i'm using a warped sword and stone ring for ~55 poise damage and still end up trading pretty frequently) and questionable hit tracking. and most of them are immune to backstabs.

and i'm just

jesus i'm tired of this. i've been at it for hours - most of it just trying to get around the goddamn level - and i can't even fight the boss most of the time, since there's twenty laser guided knights aiming directly for my ass prior to him. and if i want to improve my chances at all my only option is to get through the portion of the level clearly designed entirely to troll.

it does have some nice hats tho

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    i beat it. i ended up just going back to taking my chances on the boss. ended up having to switch out my weapon for a murakumo for the horde fight, since i needed the sweep attacks and the poise damage. boss himself was actually pretty easy. figures.

not sure when i'll be ready to take this ride again. kind of depressing, since i was replaying iron king on my alts before i even finished it on my main.

the reward for finishing all three is real nice, admittedly. i'll probably end up pushing through.

edit: oh gof all is forgiven
    SAM_1942_zpse03a87d8.jpg

Elendil on
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Frozen Outskirts sure is boring.
    I know these side areas don't really represent the quality of the main level, as it were, but is Ivory King worthwhile?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    i only have three knights for the chaos thing and apparently it's not enough. okay. had to look up the fourth one because fuck if i know where it is. oh the entrance to the area is nowhere near any bonfire whatsoever. okay. go down an elevator and it's a whole bunch of Bonewheel 2: electric boogaloos. okay. get past that, and some NPC hexer invades, uses walk of peace on me and stunlocks me to death with heavenly bolt. and there is no bonfire anywhere in between.

and i know that fucker maldron is somewhere down here.

i'm kind of done for now i think. i've been through this fucking level 100 times, since the bonfires are so scarce and don't allow backtracking. at times i wore two weapons down to the breaking point in succession between bonfires. it's ridiculous. and on top of that you have to redo the whole goddamn thing at least once thanks to the ice melt thing. way 2 pad out completion time.

so the level design is a sprawling, tedious mess.

on top of this, the enemyies are completely, since they have ridiculous poise (i'm using a warped sword and stone ring for ~55 poise damage and still end up trading pretty frequently) and questionable hit tracking. and most of them are immune to backstabs.

and i'm just

jesus i'm tired of this. i've been at it for hours - most of it just trying to get around the goddamn level - and i can't even fight the boss most of the time, since there's twenty laser guided knights aiming directly for my ass prior to him. and if i want to improve my chances at all my only option is to get through the portion of the level clearly designed entirely to troll.

it does have some nice hats tho

What did I just read
    3 Loyce Knights = no more charred Loyce knights spawn after a while, you dont' even need the fourth unless you really, really, really can't handle the Burnt Ivory King by himself. In which case you shouldn't be playing Dark Souls -.-

And as for other complaints, some of them I share, some of them I don't. My general opinion of the DLCs is: Pretty to look at, some fun enemy/boss encounters and some neat items. The rest of it is pretentious garbage that doesn't even come close to what used to be the heart of the souls series.

"Harsh but fair" is what Demon's Souls was in its essence. Dark Souls 1 managed to translate that somewhat well (Capra Demon...). In the DS 2 DLCs 3/4 encounters boil down to "Here's something you could NOT possibly have seen comming beforehand, enjoy respawning and doing the same thing again now that you know" or "By itself this encounter is completely unfair, enjoy having to find the trick to it while dying over and over again". That is neither fun nor fair, and as I see exactly this getting praised loudly by the community I lose all hope that this will be different in Bloodborne.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    People should be playing Dark Souls if they've gotten to that boss at all, or have even just booted up the game for the first time and are having fun. Don't be one of those people who say otherwise, really.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree with the other stuff. I dunno about pretentious, but it's definitely the worst of the DLC. It's not actually bad, I'd put the level design at Artorias of the Abyss level, without the amazing boss in the middle.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Re: That stuff after clearing the "last" DLC-

I don't know about the English stuff, but Japanese stuff has been going on since the beginning that the The Lost Crowns set of DLC consists of three parts, but there's nothing saying that there's only three pieces of DLC altogether.

If anything I'd guess that there's at least another set considering how they only used two of the primal bonfire areas.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    I can't imagine they'll do any more DLC tbh

Bloodborne is out in February and they'll probably have everyone who was working on the DLC start in earnest on Dark Souls 3 now for a 2016 release.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ah well it wouldn't be the first time From went and left out the MAIN FUCKING STORY from a game.

Hello Armored Core For Answer's Line Ark route. Oh wait you don't exist because they left you out of the game.

Also ACVD had its entire story presented as goddamned text files you unlock via bullshit linking your game account to your website account.

Damn it From.

Edit: I'd just like to add that ACVD's was particularly bad because it wasn't even a properly-written story or something, it was a goddamned half-assed mash of a script and someone's notes. It even had details on the boss fights.

DAMN it From.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    If anyone has any questions about bloodborne, I got in the alpha and it is playable tonight.

It's also playable at the weekend but I'm away! Shocking timing for a wedding.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    How much like a Souls game does it feel like?

It sure looks like one, but I'm curious if the dodging feels similar with respect to timing for invincibility frames and the like.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular

It sure looks like one, but I'm curious if the dodging feels similar with respect to timing for invincibility frames and the like.

I will let you know once I try it. Which should be in about 12 hours time. From the videos I've seen it looks a bit quicker than souls.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    People should be playing Dark Souls if they've gotten to that boss at all, or have even just booted up the game for the first time and are having fun. Don't be one of those people who say otherwise, really.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree with the other stuff. I dunno about pretentious, but it's definitely the worst of the DLC. It's not actually bad, I'd put the level design at Artorias of the Abyss level, without the amazing boss in the middle.

I'm saying that DLC SPOILERS
    The burnt ivory king, by himself, is no more or less difficult than, say, the Fume Knight - and Elendil had 4 Loyce knights which is enough to freeze all three doors meaning no more respawning enemies AND on top of that, leaving the 4th Loyce Knight to fight or at least distract the Ivory King, making him pretty much a cakewalk. It doesn't make sense to have trouble with THIS guy who can be cheesed like that if you didn't also have trouble with, say, the Ruin Sentinels. At least not to the point where you go "Fuck this game, I'm done".

Louie wrote: »

I will let you know once I try it. Which should be in about 12 hours time. From the videos I've seen it looks a bit quicker than souls.

Let me know about any online interactivity you can see, specifically any new additions and covenants.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but roll-dodging seemed a lot more effective against Burned Ivory King's attacks than it did against the other humanoid DLC bosses. Both of the new bosses in Old Iron King telegraphed their attacks like Ivory King does, but dodging seems a lot more effective against his dash attacks than it did against Fume Knight or Alonne.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've been holding off buying the DLC thus far. Does it hold up? Am I supposed to roll a new character for it, or will I still have fun with some crazy soul level character? How do I access the DLC?

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    I just got all the DLCs today, was waiting for all 3.

Holy shit. My character is SL150, in god knows what round NG+, and I haven't played in months.
    The DLC is hard you guys :S

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Aava was hard for me because he attacks so bloody slowly. I'm used to playing monster hunter, and so I'd roll when the tell starts and by the time Aava actually attacked I'd already be out of my roll and ready to get my face clawed in. It took me like a dozen attempts to settle down and "get" the tempo of the damn thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I'm saying that DLC SPOILERS
    The burnt ivory king, by himself, is no more or less difficult than, say, the Fume Knight - and Elendil had 4 Loyce knights which is enough to freeze all three doors meaning no more respawning enemies AND on top of that, leaving the 4th Loyce Knight to fight or at least distract the Ivory King, making him pretty much a cakewalk. It doesn't make sense to have trouble with THIS guy who can be cheesed like that if you didn't also have trouble with, say, the Ruin Sentinels. At least not to the point where you go "Fuck this game, I'm done".
    yeah it wasn't the king, it was the part prior (and it was only three knights). the one time of i think... eight attempts i actually got through that, i only actually got two seals on the door so i had the king and an add, and got distracted and died. i wasn't salty at first until i realized how much of a problem it was gonna be getting back to the boss.

that said, yeah, the boss is pretty much easy if you can actually get through there and have your three seals.

but to even to get to the boss i ended up having to throw on a defender's shield and a murakumo i could only barely one-hand using the strength ring.

so you've got a ton of enemies, all of whom have enough HP to survive five hits from a fully upgraded murakumo at 40 dex, who have enough poise that you need the stone ring + a greatsword caliber weapon to get any reliable staggers, your allies are kind of retarded and tend to just gang up on one dude instead of drawing aggro, and you've got to dodge 3+ dudes, some of whom may be chucking pyromancies from off-screen

it's hard, yo

Elendil on
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Can someone please tell me what the current meta is regarding weapons/infusions?

When I last played, it was all "infuse dark + resonant weapon".

76561197968655073.png