As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't think you can touch the armor to go into that bosses area until you've beaten Fume Knight. That boss definitely does have a super irritating lead up to him IMO.

Edit: Yeah, blue smelter is that DLC's optional boss, and the areas leading up to each DLC's optional boss is specifically designed for you to summon players or NPCs. It's some weird experiment with having areas that have enough enemies that they're very difficult without summoning.

Joshmvii on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Really. Well, that's the only damn way I FOUND through the area, so I guess it's back to exploring for me.

M A G I K A Z A M
    To get to the 1st non optional boss of the DLC, you're in the right vicinity, but you have to go down further.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Really. Well, that's the only damn way I FOUND through the area, so I guess it's back to exploring for me.

When in doubt, go down.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I have embarked upon a No Deaths/No Bonfires run for my NG+++. Gotten through Last Giant, Single Dragonrider (no cheese, no platforms, forgot to use the cranks >.<) Skelly Lords and Covetus Slug with few problems. So far the Slug was the hardest one.

Really not looking forward to Iron King as I tend to fall into the lava. A lot.

Figure I'm going to get the bosses in the order of Iron King, The Rotten, Sinner, Spider. And get through Watcher and Defender on the first way through, as I don't want a back-to-back boss battle later.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i honestly don't think the run to blue smelter is that bad

at a full sprint, you can run through fairly easily even once you get hit by promised walk of peace

the run through the DLC memory is some chucklefuck bullshit though

that shit is obnoxious

The sprint up to fume knight can eat it too. Nadia souls don't despawn if you die before picking them up, correct?

M A G I K A Z A M
    the sprint up to fume knight...

did you miss the bonfire?

and no, the nadalia souls don't disappear if you die before picking them up. i'm not sure if there's a way you can get them to vanish by like, leaving or quitting out or asceticing or something, but dying and then coming back won't cost you the soul.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i honestly don't think the run to blue smelter is that bad

at a full sprint, you can run through fairly easily even once you get hit by promised walk of peace

the run through the DLC memory is some chucklefuck bullshit though

that shit is obnoxious

both of those runs are ridiculously simple if you have the patience to pull enemies one at a time (or have a summon baiting enemies into exposing themselves for a backstab)

the third DLC's optional area, on the other hand, is the very definition of bullshit

i do not have the patience to run the memory properly

so many knights

so many

the third dlc challenge area is basically worse than hitler, but thankfully i only needed to make the trip like 3 times between my two characters. if i'd have died more than once to that boss i'd have been real salty

and no, the nadalia souls don't disappear if you die before picking them up. i'm not sure if there's a way you can get them to vanish by like, leaving or quitting out or asceticing or something, but dying and then coming back won't cost you the soul.
    I must have. Where is it?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

When facing the door to the Fume Knight, go down the right side, its in an alcove on the wall opposite the Ashen Idols.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    BYToady wrote: »

When facing the door to the Fume Knight, go down the right side, its in an alcove on the wall opposite the Ashen Idols.
    Ah. that would be why.
    I sprinted past all the enemies until I could find the idols, since it's clear they were gonna respawn.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Finally got some humanity... got summoned to help fight against Quelaag. Just barely made it, too. But as usual Jolly Cooperation proves yet again to be a lot of fun.

I also beat Ceaseless Discharge, after quite a bit of finagling and running around in a game of "can't catch me!"
    Then I spoke to The Fair Lady... while wearing the Old Witch's Ring. :(

Okay I feel like a jerk now.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Maneater Mildred is surprisingly good for that fight.

confused and dying in iron crown DLC. Please send help. Address is fume knight drive deathtown USA.
    what am I supposed to do after he's charged up and does that huge sweeping wave? How dodge?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    confused and dying in iron crown DLC. Please send help. Address is fume knight drive deathtown USA.
    what am I supposed to do after he's charged up and does that huge sweeping wave? How dodge?
    Roll past him so you end up behind him (but watch out because the arc of his swing goes way farther than you might expect) or roll through the blade so he keeps swinging past you.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    There's been a RUMORED leak about 4 mini-event DLCs (though I don't remember if they're supposed to be free or not), their release coinciding with further "Majula chest" events giving away the remaining 4 weapon reskins.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The leak mentioned a "Halloween event", so we'll find out soon enough!

steam_sig.png

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I just bought Dark Souls 2 and I wanted to know how the DLC works. If I buy the three Crown expansions, are their areas inside the main game's world or do you start them from the main menu? Can you leave the DLC areas once you enter them?

emnmnme wrote: »
    I just bought Dark Souls 2 and I wanted to know how the DLC works. If I buy the three Crown expansions, are their areas inside the main game's world or do you start them from the main menu? Can you leave the DLC areas once you enter them?

There are portals in areas you visit in the main game that lead you to the DLC areas, so you can either do them as you potter along in the main game or leave them to the end. I've done a mixture of that and it can go either way.

Yes, you can leave the DLC zones after arriving, so don't worry if you enter one by accident.

Fume Knight phase 2 is the hard part of the fight.

Off the top of my head, he uses these attacks
    Sweeping beam. I always dodged this by just dodging left through the beam with i-frames. It's really easy once you get the timing down, but at first, I would dodge too early every time.

AOE explosion followed by fireballs or whatever. This one was trickiest for me. You have to be far enough away or dodge away, but then I found dodging back towards him through the projectiles worked best. So basically dodge away dodge forward.

Sword attacks. These are fairly straight forward, but they hit so hard you have to not screw up a dodge. He does a lot of 2 hit combos here, but you can't get lazy because he will chain a 3rd on, and if I remember, sometimes even a 4th with the thrust attack and surprise you. Also if you try to back off and heal he can charge and thrust you from a mile away.

Uuuuugh. Okay, fume knight. You were fun to fight at first. Now you're just getting annoying. Please go away. I would like to do something else now.

M A G I K A Z A M
    He's imo the hardest boss across all the DLCs. I have him down pretty well now but my first character to face him it took me about 30 attempts to get. He's brutal as hell.

Master the first phase so you don't have to heal at all and chances are you'll get his health low enough when he powers up to be able to finish him pretty quickly.

It also doesn't help that YET AGAIN, it's a boss with a shitty hitbox when punching.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Always expect the shitty hitbox.

And if you get one always unlock and punch them manually. Aim at their legs if they're tall, jog in closer and aim at their center mass if they are "fuzzy" (hard to hit on the edges of their model for no good reason) and if all else fails use nothing but one handed r1.

I have absolutely no idea why but it doesn't suffer from hitbox problems anywhere near as much as all the other attacks.

There has been at least one boss I had to patiently r1 to death because everything else was getting me killed.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Dang, I didn't even finish the first one and now there is more.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    i think fume knight's second phase is easier than the first because most of his attacks become more telegraphed :B

e: like i think it's disproportionately hard just because you have to fight to it and don't get to practice it, but if they were split into two separate bosses there'd be a lot more trouble with phase 1 i wager

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    i think fume knight's second phase is easier than the first because most of his attacks become more telegraphed :B

e: like i think it's disproportionately hard just because you have to fight to it and don't get to practice it, but if they were split into two separate bosses there'd be a lot more trouble with phase 1 i wager

I guy I was playing with said that if you're wearing a piece of Velstadt's armor Fume Knight starts at phase two.

That might be worth a shot.

Kelor wrote: »

I guy I was playing with said that if you're wearing a piece of Velstadt's armor Fume Knight starts at phase two.

Velstaedts Helmet. No other piece of equipment will have that effect.

steam_sig.png

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That's a really cool touch.

I. Want. This. Fight. OVER. This is at least attempt FIFTY. I have YET TO TAKE HIM BELOW HALF

M A G I K A Z A M
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

Very important point though: The fight starts at phase two, but with his health at 100%. It makes the fight harder.

At least according to Vaati, unless I misremember.

whether it's more or less difficult is entirely dependent on which form you think is easier. some people find the slower attacks of form 2 easier (not me; i crashed and burned on this fight so much i'm super pro at doing the first form)

I definitely disagree that phase 2 is easier because his moves are more telegraphed. His moves hit harder. He's basically completely nonlethal during phase 1. Getting hit in phase 1 a couple times means having to wait for his next combo to estus. Getting hit in phase 2 a couple times means respawning at the bonfire.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I find all these conversations about Fume Knight so strange. I've only ever done him on a NG+ character, where he was a right nightmare. Even his stage 1 attacks would ruin me in every way possible. The only way I beat him was by lucking out and getting to summon the same dude several times in a row along with random 3rd persons. It still took us four tries to beat him, and that was after my 30+ attempts before lucking out.

NG+ Fume does NOT fuck around.

E: And once I'm done with not dying, I'll be up against him in NG++ :( That will be... interesting.

MrGrimoire on
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I definitely disagree that phase 2 is easier because his moves are more telegraphed. His moves hit harder. He's basically completely nonlethal during phase 1. Getting hit in phase 1 a couple times means having to wait for his next combo to estus. Getting hit in phase 2 a couple times means respawning at the bonfire.

it's a good thing that all his phase 2 attacks are super easy to dodge then

liEt3nH.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

it's a good thing that all his phase 2 attacks are super easy to dodge then

Ehhh

The hitboxes on them can be real weird, partially because of the flame around his weapon, which can damage you by itself.

the hitboxes on his phase 1 attacks aren't any better, due to the width of his swings

liEt3nH.png
    Obviously we don't have the numbers specific to which parts of the fight people are dying, but when those stats came out that said 93% of people die against Fume Knight, I'd be my ass cheeks that not very many of them are dying during phase 1.

For me, phase 1 was basically just get good at avoiding attacks because you need to be spending this phase knocking his HP down for when you get to phase 2, not this phase is dangerous at all. I mean, it took me like 30 tries to get Fume down on my first character, and like maybe 1 or 2 of those was me dying before he powered up because I just misplayed completely. Every other one was messing up the dodge timing on his AOE that makes projectiles, or getting antsy and messing up my dodge on the slow laser sword, then he'd punish me and kill me if I tried to heal up.

For me, getting hit in phase 1 was never anything more than a nuisance, and a guarantee that phase 2, the real danger was going to take longer and thus increase my chance of dying.