As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    You also have to be undead/have talked to all the singing women to go through the door at the end of Shrine of Amana.

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    I started a game as an Explorer. I want to reinforce my amazing Travelling Merchant's Coat, but if I do that will a regret it because there is something that is just flat out better?

I want to have shiny buckles and a coffee mug but I don't want to feel like a chump.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    There are a lot of armors better than the merchant's coat. Armor isn't really important. It's fashion souls that is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Corsini wrote: »
    I started a game as an Explorer. I want to reinforce my amazing Travelling Merchant's Coat, but if I do that will a regret it because there is something that is just flat out better?

I want to have shiny buckles and a coffee mug but I don't want to feel like a chump.

General rule of thumb, there isn't really anything in this game that isn't viable. There's only very few items that may not be ideal - such as an armor that constantly emits poison which, turns out, merchants don't really like, so much so that they decide to turn into gravestones.

If you're really worried about utility then, as you already know, you can still upgrade your Travelling Merchant's Coat. In addition, Upgrading Vigor, especially at low levels can be more effective than getting better armor. Adaptability I believe also adds to your elemental (physical?) defenses. Last, there's rings that boost health, physical/elemental defense or give you more defense at low health.

I'm actually really wanting to try out a "starting equipment only" run (possibly combined with "starting stats only"). If only my graphics card was repaired yet.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    And its only not ideal if, for example, you care about having to pay souls just to access them.
    Cos otherwise feel free to kill all of them. They all come back as ghosts.
    You could, in fact, freely kill every single npc you meet, and not miss out on any shops.

You know what if I ever make a vergil he probably will do that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    If you dodge everything, it doesn't matter what armour you're wearing.

Always be rollin'.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Always be rollin'.

*rolls off cliff*

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Nothing is cooler than the Imported set.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Always be rollin'.

*rolls off cliff*

No no no

Roll into walls when near cliffs. Use those i frames.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, is the bone fist just flat out worse than the cestus?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited February 2015
    Wait there's another melee weapon? In the DLC? I just looked it up. I had no idea.
    *gets excited*

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bone+Fist

Looks like its not really meant to be a pure dps weapon. Check it.
    Hints and Tips:

Upgraded with twinkling titanite to +5
    When in power stance (requires 45 Dex and 22 Str) use the heavy attack to shoot a projectile, deals high damage and knocks down small humanoid enemies, extremely useful for PvP usage.
    Can be powerstanced with any fist weapons or barehand, and the powerstance strong attack damage is affected only by the right weapon, although the powerstance strong attack can be used only when Bone Fist is equipped on the right hand.
    Powerstance strong attack does not deplete the durability of Vanquisher's Seal ring,
    At 40 40 it has 14+189(203) without enchantment and 20+203(223) for Bone Fist+5 , so the enchantment is pointless. For comparison Caestus +10 has 90+182(272) damage.
    Compared to the other fist weapons the Bone fist is notably slower, the one handed strong attack is probably the only fast attack this weapon has with its quick low sweep to forced back punch, the running attack is a running flying kick that can send players and human sized enemies flying, however caution is warranted when you are facing a ledge as you can jump kick to your death, also there is a slight delay before you can move freely after and leaves open a back stab.The power stance strong attack takes 5 durability per Hadouken, the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 does NOT drop the durability cost.
    Your attack frames will give you immense poise (similar to swinging large weapons) that is incredibly hard to break and allows you to combo down opponents who try to to get into a literal fist fight with you.
    Interesting Fact : the Bone Fist is actually still valuable even broken. The scaling is so high that it is still able to decent damage because it only loses the base damage when broken (which is 20 at +5)

I gotta get back to Alexander. I still haven't played all the DLC!

Morninglord on
    Oh. OH. You didn't know about the bone fist? No. It's not meant to be a DPS weapon. It's meant to be a fist weapon with a better fucking hitbox, and also hadoukens.

Remember ol Nashandra's wisps? Bone fist can hit them.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, its a fist weapon that can actually be used? That sounds like a pipe dream.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Hey. The caestus can be used just as well...just not at the endgame.

M A G I K A Z A M
    L1 doesn't work on a few bosses end game. You have to R1 spam, which has much better tracking, range and as it turns out, recovery. I beat darklurker mostly with r1 without lockon. Lockon to darklurker is suicide because you can't swing the camera around to check where the other one is.

Oh, what the heck? I joined the Blue Sentinels covenant and I spent all day running around wearing the ring as a human and I wasn't summoned once to help other players. I checked online to make sure the requirements were correct and everything seems in order - if someone is picking on a Way of the Blue member, Sentinels get sucked up into their world to help them.

Maybe no one sticks with the Way of the Blue covenant anymore?

Do people only PvP in New Game+ or does that matter?

Nobody sticks with way of the blue.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Do people only PvP in New Game+ or does that matter?

As of the latest patch it doesn't matter anymore.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Oh, what the heck? I joined the Blue Sentinels covenant and I spent all day running around wearing the ring as a human and I wasn't summoned once to help other players. I checked online to make sure the requirements were correct and everything seems in order - if someone is picking on a Way of the Blue member, Sentinels get sucked up into their world to help them.

I have run a full game on my sorceress as a Blue Sentinel and didn't get summoned once (Steam). Switched to Heirs of the Sun at the end.

My knight is currently a blue Sentinel as well, I had 2 times yesterday that I would get the message that I was being summoned, but then nothing happened (presumably somebody got killed before I could get there?)

So all in all on PC, Blue Sentinels doesn't seem to be worth it.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I have run a full game on my sorceress as a Blue Sentinel and didn't get summoned once (Steam). Switched to Heirs of the Sun at the end.

My knight is currently a blue Sentinel as well, I had 2 times yesterday that I would get the message that I was being summoned, but then nothing happened (presumably somebody got killed before I could get there?)

So all in all on PC, Blue Sentinels doesn't seem to be worth it.

No different on consoles. Keep in mind that the Blue Sentinels also allow you to duel in the Blue Sentinel arena as well as invade players with a high sin count as a Blue "Arbiter Spirit".

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

The invasion also never seemed to work for me; when I was in human form and used the cracked blue eyes, I got the message that he was looking for worlds to invade, but never seemed to find them. (various locations) Then again I never entered PvP heavy places like the Belltower on my sorceress, so I can give it a try on my knight who has found that place.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Well until the latest patch ng and ng+ were separated. And the item used to invade is much rarer or harder to get in NG, or at least i think so. So basically up until the new patch pvp was a bigger pain. Hopefully now there will be a lot more players engaging in all the various forms of covenants.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    That's true, I have on my guy who is just entering the Lost Bastille for the first about a dozen blue cracked eyes (all those big knights in Heide's Tower of Flame drop them nearly all the time) and a single red cracked eye.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Wait there's another melee weapon? In the DLC? I just looked it up. I had no idea.
    *gets excited*

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bone+Fist

Looks like its not really meant to be a pure dps weapon. Check it.
    Hints and Tips:

Upgraded with twinkling titanite to +5
    When in power stance (requires 45 Dex and 22 Str) use the heavy attack to shoot a projectile, deals high damage and knocks down small humanoid enemies, extremely useful for PvP usage.
    Can be powerstanced with any fist weapons or barehand, and the powerstance strong attack damage is affected only by the right weapon, although the powerstance strong attack can be used only when Bone Fist is equipped on the right hand.
    Powerstance strong attack does not deplete the durability of Vanquisher's Seal ring,
    At 40 40 it has 14+189(203) without enchantment and 20+203(223) for Bone Fist+5 , so the enchantment is pointless. For comparison Caestus +10 has 90+182(272) damage.
    Compared to the other fist weapons the Bone fist is notably slower, the one handed strong attack is probably the only fast attack this weapon has with its quick low sweep to forced back punch, the running attack is a running flying kick that can send players and human sized enemies flying, however caution is warranted when you are facing a ledge as you can jump kick to your death, also there is a slight delay before you can move freely after and leaves open a back stab.The power stance strong attack takes 5 durability per Hadouken, the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 does NOT drop the durability cost.
    Your attack frames will give you immense poise (similar to swinging large weapons) that is incredibly hard to break and allows you to combo down opponents who try to to get into a literal fist fight with you.
    Interesting Fact : the Bone Fist is actually still valuable even broken. The scaling is so high that it is still able to decent damage because it only loses the base damage when broken (which is 20 at +5)

I gotta get back to Alexander. I still haven't played all the DLC!

The main reason to use it is that the move set looks absolutely amazing!

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I said since the game released that way of blue was a pointless covenant. People who are averse to invasions to the point where they'd stay in a covenant for it will just play offline. And on top of that, they made invasions only really happen in NG+ at release, and it's not like many people were going to move on to NG+ and STILL be in way of blue.

IMO they needed to just make it so way of blue was not a covenant but just like a choice you made in town. Toggle on/off getting help with invasions or something like that. Reds wouldn't care if they have to fight multiple people, and blue sentinels could actually get summoned to protect people.

Honestly, blue sentinels just got screwed all around in DS2. Sure in NG+ you can use orbs to invade sinners but that's not even really different from just being a red and invading everybody, and they got screwed in duels with the awful idea to make them expend a co-op token every time they want to duel, when reds can just duel forever. Like, nobody is going to co-op a boss every time they want to do a single duel. Just ridiculously stupid.

It was an interesting idea but like you said, people just play offline.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If a PVP phantom has a 10 foot long sword, can I parry that? Some punk keeps killing me and I can't seem to get an opening.
    If it is that damn 20ft long Katana, then it's drawback is that it is extremely fragile. When I see that weapon, I usually start using corrosive urns or that corrosive fire magic spell to break their weapon. I did the same thing against havel monsters that I suspected were relying on that dragon ring to keep them from fat rolling.

Sometimes I feel bad about breaking their stuff, but then I remind myself that this is Dark Souls.

I need to get back into this game. I enjoyed it enough to buy the season pass, but never got around to playing the DLC.

Did they ever improve the matchmaking and netcode? It always seemed that the matchmaking regions were Japan and not-Japan. The windows of opportunity are too slim in this game to make playing against someone on the opposite side of the planet enjoyable in pvp.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Feh. I switched out of the Sentinels and joined the rats and it's much better; I get a new victim in my funhouse of traps every 5 minutes. I use my spell that disguises me as an object and then I leap out and backstab fools left and right while they're engaged with monsters.

OK, I killed the 4 big ass bosses. Can I get a small hint about where to go to find this castle the Fire Keeper chick was talking about? Through the woods ... the Shaded Woods? That goes to the Cove.

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    The woods is a lovely place to wander in the Winter.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    there's a four-way junction in the Shaded Woods. one junction is what led you there from Majula, one leads to the Cove, another to where you want to be going next, and the last is closed off to you for now.

D'aww, I reached the max rank with the rats and the horribly racist Rat King conceded maybe humans aren't so bad after all.

My favorite trick was putting a prism stone in front of the trapped elephant demon in the Doors of Pharos arena. I could stand behind the elephant, too, and stay mostly hidden. Invading players would invariably think the sparkly prism stone was treasure and investigate, only to get a face full of GIANT ELEPHANT AXE and a couple spells from me.

Whelp, beat Dark Souls 2. Not exactly sure why the Queen was the evil one who tricked the King into attacking the giants. Just dickish, I guess.

Whelp, beat Dark Souls 2. Not exactly sure why the Queen was the evil one who tricked the King into attacking the giants. Just dickish, I guess.
    She's a reincarnation of a fragent of Manus soul. The primeval human who you fight in his fully ascended form in Dark Souls 1 Artorias DLC.
    She was going to get access to the First Flame, but the old King refused to open it for her.
    So she used you instead.

Nearly finished with my 2nd playthrough (this time as a knight vs. a mage). Things are going a lot faster this time and I skipped some bits I did the last time (Grave of Saints), but OTOH I also did some things I didn't do last time (both Bell Towers).

Is it worth it to play Dark Souls 1 after you played 2? (Note that I'm on PC and keyboard+mouse and I saw that 1 had the strong recommendation to use a gamepad. I didn't see any such warning for 2 and I had no problems with controls in 2. They did remove Games for Windows Live from 1 at least, did they?)

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yes, definitely play Dark Souls 1. And yes, a gamepad is much better than KB+M for a Souls game.

If you don't have a controller, stay FAR away from DS1. It's really bad with KBAM.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Do we have any news on how Scholar of the First Sin is going to be made available on Steam?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited March 2015
    It's already out.
    Or do you mean the new enemy placements and graphics?

Morninglord on