As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    A hex build has zero issues with Allone knights.

Of course it has zero issues with a lot of things.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Astale wrote: »
    A hex build has zero issues with Allone knights.

Of course it has zero issues with a lot of things.

Well, less issue than other builds. At that level, though, it takes three dark orbs to kill one of the normal knights instead of the two in NG. The spots where multiple come at once are a pain because you can't stagger both at once easily. Lots of running away. I got through without dying but it was not much fun.

Aistan on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    In all honesty im not sure if this is coming from my pvp experience or the huge amount of people that depend on it to do anything but if from decides to break hexes spine for the next dark souls I would be ok with that.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    It's just another type of magic. The stat investment to make it viable is basically double that of a miracle or sorcery build, so if it was simply as good as either of those then no one would ever bother with it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    The stat investment to make it viable is basically double that of a miracle or sorcery build,

That would be highly relevant if we had a proper soul level matchmaking system.

But we don't, so havel hexers are disgusting things that exist.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Personally I think hexes need to be just flat out rolled into other magic types. Like, they get bonuses from the other stat, but the casting stats are still either faith or sorcery.

So, like, a hex spell would be about the same if you had 50int/10faith or 30int/30faith, the spell would be 'staff' type casting, the requirement 30int, no faith requirement. Let part of the damage, based on how much faith the caster has, be dark, the rest magic.

That's just spitballing, but there are a lot of ways to do it.

• Options
    I'm only talking about PvE of course. I can't speak to PvP anything. I imagine balancing that is a nightmare.

• Options
    I think a soul level matchmaking system would be the best safety valve for hexes in PvP.

The stat requirements to get a hex build going are comparatively quite high compared to other builds. When operating with a fixed soul level budget, a hexer will have to make significant sacrifices to accommodate both high int and faith for his hexes.

They would be squishy by even glass cannon mage standards. They would probably not have as much stamina for rolling as regular mages. They likely have less carry capacity, so they don't much room for a backup weapon or the stats to make use of a backup weapon effectively. Their character would probably be all around terrible in every aspect except for their magic.

Honestly with soul level matchmaking, some hex spells may even need to be buffed from their present state.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fume Knight Co-op:

Oh god, is this NG+? Why is his sword on fire after the first hit?!?! (also, I see you're missing one smelter wedge =P)

Your World Master thought it would be funny to dress up as Vestaldt. . .which is a no-no there.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    more like yes yes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah, dressing up as Velstadt makes him go super pissy sayan right?

Because of their rivalry or something.

Does it give any benefit? Better drops?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Yeah, dressing up as Velstadt makes him go super pissy sayan right?

Because of their rivalry or something.

Does it give any benefit? Better drops?

A temporary sense of accomplishment. That quickly fades once you fight the challenge boss.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I've seen people say they think forcing him to phase 2 right at the start helped them because it meant they only had to deal with one moveset the whole fight. I wouldn't do it, but I can understand the reasoning, if the switch in movesets was messing them up mid fight.

• Options
    I could see that. It was often his quick little pokes with his offhand sword that got me, staggering me into a hit from his big one. The second phase was easier to dodge, but a lot more nerve-wracking because he hits like a truck. I'm not sure if i'd be able to physically handle enduring the stress from dealing with that much risk for the 8 hours it takes to whittle down his absurd amounts of health.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Can you parry him?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Full dragon armor, ice rapier, crystal magic weapon, chaos storm, invading in the lost bastille at 440k soul memory. Good job with the Agape Ring, From.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Feels good finally making progress again. Made it through the Wharf, met the fellow I can actually sell crap to, and killed the boss at the bottom of that ship.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    Full dragon armor, ice rapier, crystal magic weapon, chaos storm, invading in the lost bastille at 440k soul memory. Good job with the Agape Ring, From.

We wouldn't need an agape ring if we had a soul level based matchmaker.

No matter the countermeasures, twinks are gonna twink. They're like the robots in the matrix. This is the_____ time they've made a twink for a game, and they've become exceedingly efficient at it.

That's also a pretty high soul memory for lost bastille. I can see somebody making their way to most all of that equipment without the agape ring if they were efficient and made a bee-line toward it.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Feels good finally making progress again. Made it through the Wharf, met the fellow I can actually sell crap to, and killed the boss at the bottom of that ship.

There was no Lucatiel mentioned in this sentence. There is no progress without Lucatiel!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    PMAvers wrote: »

There was no Lucatiel mentioned in this sentence. There is no progress without Lucatiel!

The reference just flew over my head.

Got the Ruin Guardians as well, but while doing some teleporting around got invaded and lost something like 27k. *frump*

After some exploring, went back and knocked out the boss in the Cathedral, the Dragonslayer?

Did a buttload of exploring in the Bastille finally and met the vendor who you can get cool weapons for the boss souls. Guessing those are worth it?

Not sure where to keep exploring next, either the Hunter's Copse (which I got all the way up to that bridge to the... Sanctuary? for, but couldn't get past the red spirit on the other side) or the Sinner's Rise by going down a elevator in a tower.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    After bastille usually go to sinners rise since you can summon lucatiel for the boss to advance her quest and then huntsman copse. Also belfry luna is an optional area you can get to from bastille. However its a heavy pvp zone .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Lost Sinner down, although Lucatiel didn't survive the fight so apparently she doesn't get credit for it. Off to the Copse, I guess.

I apparently don't have the requirements to actually wield any of them, but do you miss out on anything if you actually turn in the boss souls at Straid for weapons? (Other than popping them for souls.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    No, you either eat them for souls or you trade them for weapons/spells. Straid isn't the only guy who takes boss souls in trade though, in case you haven't gotten to the other one.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh, man, so pro.

So I finally killed that "invader" that's sitting in front of the Purgatory on the other side of the bridge.

By him accidentally falling off it.

And me going off the bridge after him. Our ragdolls bounced off each other as we hit the ground.

Still counts, apparently.

EDIT: Oh, balls, that's a boss? Thought I was going to get to explore a zone up there or something first. *gets run down*

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I took just a bunch of runs to grab the items then somehow managed to finish that fight

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Well got everything working with ds1 and ds fix so now im set to start the first game! Managed to get the horrible bar the goes from bottom to top ( looks like progressive scan on old tvs) out by forcing vsync in the nvidia control panel. Made it to the first bonfire in the undead burg while I was testing everything.

• Options
    Well got everything working with ds1 and ds fix so now im set to start the first game! Managed to get the horrible bar the goes from bottom to top ( looks like progressive scan on old tvs) out by forcing vsync in the nvidia control panel. Made it to the first bonfire in the undead burg while I was testing everything.

You're in for a great time. I'd love to be able to play DS1 for the first time again.

• Options
    Ended up going off to explore more, and took down the skeleton lords and the scorpion lady, and afterwards went back and one-shot the Chariot.

(Yes, I know they're nowhere near each other. I was *really* wandering.)

The Harvest Valley looks like it's a toxic hellhole, so I think I'm going to explore Pharros' area next.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Its not that bad , lots of good stuff hidden in there. So I just made it to the gargoyles in the undead parish. I cut off the tail then another showed up and killed me. Using the balder side sword and knight shield so far.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The side sword is good enough for the whole game if you're doing a dex build. Just keep normal upgrading it.

Gargoyles are dumb though.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Aren't gargs weak to lightning? Summon sunbro to help.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    So gargoyles down and bell rung. I explored a little past that and ended up behind havel. Like I opened the door thinking hmm I wonder where the fuck I am and the he flattens me. I run back and kill him and now all of the world I know of is a giant loop.Have no idea where to go next so I think I will take a break before I choose between crystal golems that I can kill easily or blue dragons I was too scared to fight.

• Options
    So gargoyles down and bell rung. I explored a little past that and ended up behind havel. Like I opened the door thinking hmm I wonder where the fuck I am and the he flattens me. I run back and kill him and now all of the world I know of is a giant loop.Have no idea where to go next so I think I will take a break before I choose between crystal golems that I can kill easily or blue dragons I was too scared to fight.

I'm loving this.

No I'm not telling you why.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    You're on the right track if you're in the area with the blue drakes. Keep exploring.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    You're on the right track if you're in the area with the blue drakes. Keep exploring.

Not really.
    Technically you can get to blighttown from that area, but the Undead Dragon is between the drakes and the entrance.

• Options
    Well either way first order of business is to get to the bottom of the parrish/burg . I know you can get down there I see the fucking messages and its driving me up a wall .

• Options
    Well either way first order of business is to get to the bottom of the parrish/burg . I know you can get down there I see the fucking messages and its driving me up a wall .

If you want to know?
    Get the key from behind the giant portcullis where you fought the boar, the door is on the bridge, opposite big angry dragon

• Options
    Nah im good for now . I will come back and look at it if I still cant get it. That said I am so happy I got ds fix cause god almighty it looked bad without it , and I heard the port in general was poorly made.

• Options
    Found it! Also made a bunch of progress and fought 2 (optional? ) bosses. Capra and moonlight butterfly down.

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Once again I've been an idiot... Just realized that some illusionary walls you press "X" (action) on, not swing to attack.

So I've probably missed at least 3 real "illusionary wall" messages, assuming they were fakes after trying to attack the wall. No idea where though.

Hopefully I'll be able to find them all again when I start a NG+.

(Currently in Iron Keep, I kept seeing people go through the ballista shortcut as a phantom, but couldn't figure out how to open it in my own game until I button-mashed the wall.)

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.