As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Aliens have defeated this thread. Find the resistance movement in the new one

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Man abductor and supply ship back to back. Just utterly brutal. Lost 4 good soldiers in that mess.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Beagle is going to be attempting a supply ship mission in his next video, with a squad of 6 and ballistic weapons. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens; it's going to be like watching an immovable object meet an unstoppable force.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    BULLSHIT
    I never build thermos. Dig out the entire top two layers and build regular power generators around the facilities you need for the first few months. Mostly where you don't have satellite uplinks in the top left... maybe one or two in the top right. Then kill them off later to make room for important stuff.

A simple 3x2 block in the lower left of five regular power generators and one elerium generator is all you need.

Thermo Generators power-to-resource ratio sure is... efficient. You'd never know it by looking at them, but those generators are a power shortage's worst nightmare.

Too bad it costs too much in the beginning and doesn't matter at the end.

...which is why I have all my vents kitted out as soon as possible and plenty of spare space & resources for Workshops and Labs? Seriously, the dollar-to-power ratio is exactly the same as Power Generators despite producing over three times as much energy, they only take 60% longer to make, and just a little over twice as much ($23 to $11) to maintain. Long-term, Thermo Generators are an excellent investment.

If you're counting the cost to dig for them in the first place, I'm calling shenanigans, since you are going to want to excavate everything eventually anyway so you can stash your necessary plot rooms somewhere.

I'm not, but if you're playing EW on Classic or Impossible, the 4x7 grid does not allow for "plenty of spare space" with the time and money you are allocated in the first few months. Like I said, all you need is the bottom left 3x2 block with regular power generators and one elerium to carry you to the end of the game. You don't need to restart-scum your game until you get the vents you want- just ignore them entirely.

Until then, work with regular power generators here or there are on the first two levels until you get enough money to dig into the bottom half of the base. Then demolish those one you get your grid going to make room for uplinks and workshops to have enough sats to cover the globe by July-August.

I only play on Classic, and digging for Thermos is one of my first activities. I am usually running low on cash, but not so much so that I suffer much in the strategic game (I sell practically everything I find in the early game). Saves me time and money in the long run. Some games I never have to demolish a Power Generator, and in a few lucky games I never need an Elerium Generator. My last game I ended with two thermos, one elerium, and one normal generator, and never had to demolish anything.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    7 playthroughs, every difficulty, and I never built an Elerium generator, and seldom demolished anything. Thermals are the light.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    7 playthroughs, every difficulty, and I never built an Elerium generator, and seldom demolished anything. Thermals are the light.

I built one for fun!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hey guys my first chryssalid sighting!

Night terror mission.

Hold me.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Night terror mission.

Hold me.
    Ahahaha. You're in for a surprise. This isn't enemy unknown here. You're in the BIG LEAGUES now. Just watch that chryssalid run the lenth of the entire map and STILL have enough TUs to take out your entire squad!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Night terror mission.

Hold me.

Okay, don't worry. These missions look scary, but there's a simple 3 step solution.

1) Arrive and assess the situation.

2) Take off

3) Nuke the site from orbit.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I believe you are intentionally ommitting

1)a) poop pants

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Night terror mission.

Hold me.

Okay, don't worry. These missions look scary, but there's a simple 3 step solution.

1) Arrive and assess the situation.

2) Take off

3) Nuke the site from orbit.
    That sounds a bit fancy. I prefer to adapt the Guavamoment strategy for cruise ship terror missions.

1) Start mission

2) See cryssalid

3) FFFFFFFFF

4) Abort.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Your solution has more steps though. How is that simpler?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So how did anyone ever beat the original XCOMs anyway if they're such one-sided slaughterfests?

• Options
    well I never did. but I enjoyed firing it up again and again for years.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So how did anyone ever beat the original XCOMs anyway if they're such one-sided slaughterfests?

It's relentless and expects you to lose many times before you get it, but it's not that impossible, especially considering the difficulty bug.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Persistence.

Also, save scumming.

• Options
    And also via easily exploited mechanics.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Smoke grenades.

Seriously they're op.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Also, on the shoulders of a mountain of dead rookies.

• Options
    They actually hide your men completely in this one.

I have one on every man and apply liberally to worrying situations.

• Options
    I mean one redshirt as a scout, firing line behind him, sell laser cannons, move one tile at a time

• Options
    edited July 2014
    That's not...exploiting? That's....good...tactics?

Scouting and sniping is military recon 101.

Seriously these games would have no substance at all otherwise.

It's no different from moving your scout first in nuxcom and "exploiting" discovery.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    You aren't really "exploiting" discovery in any sense in the new X-COM. If they see you, they react. It's an incredibly basic stealth system. Moving your scout first is, at worst, exploiting the turn-based nature of the game to take the riskiest actions first so you have the rest of your guys available to respond.

In XCOM, the "one guy scouts" strategy eliminates literally all risk on your turn. You are exploiting the mutual discovery mechanic to avoid getting your scout reaction fired on. You are exploiting the infinite range of all weapons in order to fire from a stationary position on the other end of the map with all your guys. You are exploiting the fact that enemies cannot reaction fire at your guys if they are out of sight range.

Afterwards, you load everybody up with laser pistols, make a Muton drop his weapon, box him in, and have some reactions / accuracy training.

XCOM is full of exploits.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Garthor wrote: »
    You aren't really "exploiting" discovery in any sense in the new X-COM. If they see you, they react. It's an incredibly basic stealth system. Moving your scout first is, at worst, exploiting the turn-based nature of the game to take the riskiest actions first so you have the rest of your guys available to respond.

That's what I meant.

You know one thing I've observed Garthor.

Based on how you talk, a newcomer would come to the conclusion that you are really negative about old Xcom.

You guys talk about exploiting the way other people talk about strategy or tactics.
    It's a misnomer.
    The game isn't meant to be played based on luck otherwise there wouldn't be a mutual surprise rule. If they really wanted it to be that way aliens would reaction fire on first sight.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I never used many of these exploits when I beat the original X-Com - mostly because I didn't know about them. But as terrifying as original X-Com was, it was also a lot more forgiving strategically. You deployed squads of like 18 + 2 hover tanks in the late game (or 14 + 3 tanks, etc,), which meant you had plenty of expendable scout units surrounding your core squad.

Blaster bombs (which had no range limit) and psionics were also big in this respect: you could blow aliens up without ever seeing them or MC them without ever taking a shot, and both from a long distance. It became fairly routine for me to land a squaddie on top of the ship I was assault, use one blaster bomb to breach the hull, send another through to take out the bridge. You can actually beat the final mission without even seeing the end boss if you know/guess the map well enough and just fire blaster bombs up into the room.

Panic wasn't really a thing; occasionally, there'd be infiltrator missions that would flip a nation out of the X-Com project, but as long as you kept shooting those down, you could almost go forever in the game. Additionally, you could manufacture your own items for sale, which gave you another funding stream aside from nations altogether.

And then it becomes primarily a matter of just training up your soldiers and psionically screening them. Late-game X-Com, that was the biggest / only real threat to you, was your own squad getting MCed or panicked and eliminating itself. (Also, occasional missions where you had terrible spawns. Most missions had you deploy from your ship, but some would split your squad up, and you could get a bad split and get murderized.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    I'm only talking about the normal scouting btw. I don't think that's an exploit. It's the only way scouting could possibly work. Otherwise the way reaction fire works would make the game massively broken against the player.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

That's what I meant.

You know one thing I've observed Garthor.

Based on how you talk, a newcomer would come to the conclusion that you are really negative about old Xcom.

You guys talk about exploiting the way other people talk about strategy or tactics.
    It's a misnomer.
    The game isn't meant to be played based on luck otherwise there wouldn't be a mutual surprise rule. If they really wanted it to be that way aliens would reaction fire on first sight.

I'm really negative about a lot of things.

And generally, my biggest beef with games is when there's one maximally efficient strategy that is boring. The firing line is essentially risk-free and applicable everywhere except alien bases and inside alien ships, given enough explosives. Single-file in X-COM might be the safest strategy, but at least with EW they added Meld as an incentive to be more reckless, and the actual nitty-gritty of combat once you spot some aliens usually leaves more room for an interesting encounter.

So fine. It's not an "exploit" to have your guys ignore the reaction fire rules by shooting from further than they can see. It's just a boring tactic that makes the game boring.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    (I sell practically everything I find in the early game). Saves me time and money in the long run. Some games I never have to demolish a Power Generator, and in a few lucky games I never need an Elerium Generator. My last game I ended with two thermos, one elerium, and one normal generator, and never had to demolish anything.

You shouldn't be afraid to demolish shit later to save money in the early game. Like digging too deep too early... that's pretty much wasted money. Also, you should probably try to avoid selling your alloys, elerium, and especially fragments.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    (I sell practically everything I find in the early game). Saves me time and money in the long run. Some games I never have to demolish a Power Generator, and in a few lucky games I never need an Elerium Generator. My last game I ended with two thermos, one elerium, and one normal generator, and never had to demolish anything.

You shouldn't be afraid to demolish shit later to save money in the early game. Like digging too deep too early... that's pretty much wasted money. Also, you should probably try to avoid selling your alloys, elerium, and especially fragments.

I don't sell fragments, but UFO raids provide so many alloys and elerium that I would be stupid not to capitalize on it, especially well before I can even use the stuff on anything.

Also, by definition, demolishing something doesn't save you money; by definition it's money wasted. Demolishing it just stops the bleeding. Just building what you need, first, and keeping it the whole game, is the way to save money, long-term.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    what does the advanced lasers project do in the foundry in long war

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Build better lasers (pulse lasers iirc) and most importantly get the aircraft laser cannon.

More facetiously, it's the "How to win the game" research topic.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Beagle is going to be attempting a supply ship mission in his next video, with a squad of 6 and ballistic weapons. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens; it's going to be like watching an immovable object meet an unstoppable force.

It's stumbling across Beagle that has inspired me to reinstall XCom. After that last mission and the complete and utter clusterfuck it became, I lived every moment with him. God, how did I stay away for so long?

• Options
    Don't forget to watch Marbozir as well. Not as tactically enlightening, but by god is he good at XCOM.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    what does the advanced lasers project do in the foundry in long war

Let's you build the equivalent of depleted elerium rounds for lasers (laser pumper and something else) it's an accessory that adds +1 damage to laser weapons.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Build better lasers (pulse lasers iirc) and most importantly get the aircraft laser cannon.

More facetiously, it's the "How to win the game" research topic.

Foundry project not research project. The foundry project is what i describe above.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

It's stumbling across Beagle that has inspired me to reinstall XCom. After that last mission and the complete and utter clusterfuck it became, I lived every moment with him. God, how did I stay away for so long?

I loved that video.

The only downside of Live and Impossible is that there was no opportunity for him to freeze on one of the sniper's missing and say "...at this point, we are fucked."

• Options

it is up and a glorious 3 hours 17 minutes long.

• Options
    take a shot anytime beagle says caboose

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Haha damn. That Beagle LP gets real on the latest ep.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Long War covert ops mission involved my secret agent dashing from com tower to com tower past all the EXALT chasing my shivs around, culminating in a mad dash back to the escape zone.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fighting Mechtoids and Beserkers with ballistics and tier 1 lasers ain't fun. Thank god for chem grenades.

BlindPsychic on