As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Using multiple Merge Fields in a word doc

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks, hoping some of you more savvy Word users can help me out here.

I'm testing part of a software for work that uses the merge field option in MS Words to create templates with populated data. I'm testing that the tokens we currently have in place are all working.

Right now, this means that I open up a brand new word doc and do the following:

INSERT->QUICK PARTS->MERGEFIELD-> THE NAME OF THE TOKEN

The problem is the system has about 100 tokens, so to insert every token into the word I have to repeat that process above, and that seems like a waste of time. Even if I had to go in and type the tokens out, but not go through the whole Quick Parts->Insert first. would save me some trouble. Then I would just upload the document into our system and see what tokens fail.

So is there a way to do this?

noir_blood on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What versions of Word do you have available to you?

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Use copy and paste, and toggle the field codes.

I'm using 2010:

Insert>QuickParts>Field>select "MergeField" from the left> enter Field Name I'll use 'red' as an example

Show reveal codes to make this a bit easier
    • Select the text: <<red>>
    • Copy/paste a bunch of times (99 I guess)
    • Select all, right click, "Toggle Field Codes"
    • You'll now get: { MERGEFIELD red \* MERGEFORMAT }
    • You can now type the new field names where 'red' is. Maybe find/replace would make it easier as pseudo "entry box" with every time you hit 'next'.
    • Make sure that when you "Toggle Field Codes" again, you also right click and select "Update fields" to see the change you made.

You might also find this page helpful: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/insert-and-format-field-codes-in-word-2010-HA101830917.aspx#BM2

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment