As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/23/14: Under-Hulk Adventures

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Graphic Violence
egH5Rerl.jpg

you guys

Stokoe's Avengers #1 / 100th Anniversary.

oh my god fuck yeah

Also Joe Scioli's Transformers vs GI Joe #1.
MRtgv9Wl.png

desc on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I just can't tell you how much I needed to see a thing like this tonight.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    yeah, i'm all over the both of those

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Storm #1: Storm saves a small village from some corporate thugs:
    COPizYB.png
    CiUSzpE.png
    FhiYitz.png

• Options
    This is dumb, but it's comics.

It's kind of weird to seem Storm, veritable goddess of weather, bothering to punch somebody. It's like Galactus paying a parking ticket.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

It's kind of weird to seem Storm, veritable goddess of weather, bothering to punch somebody. It's like Galactus paying a parking ticket.

the guy had been a real asshole to her, it probably felt good to get her hands dirty

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I see it as a throwback to when she lost her powers in the 80s, she got really good at hand-to-hand combat. I really like the idea that she would use a combination of hand-to-hand and her weather powers.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    You always need to start a combo with an LP, anyway.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Sometimes, you just need to get your hands dirty.
    Sure, sucking them up in a tornado or throwing lightning at them may be more effective, quicker and more efficient, but would it really be as satisfying as laying a dude out with a well placed punch to the throat?

see317 on
  • Options
    Fair point, everybody.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It's also a mu
    see317 wrote: »

Sometimes, you just need to get your hands dirty.
    Sure, sucking them up in a tornado or throwing lightning at them may be more effective, quicker and more efficient, but would it really be as satisfying as laying a dude out with a well placed punch to the throat?
    I'm just going to put it out there and say that when someone is that close to you with a gun, fists probably have less windup time than tornadoes.

Also, gets the gun out of your face more effectively.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Storm was quality this month, really liked it. I think Storm herself is a very interesting character given that her disparate careers and life choices come together to make her seem like this older, worldly person whose themes are not reduced by being a thief and a queen and a superhero and so on but rather enhanced by it. She's seen a done a lot, in her life, and it means Ororo will always be really closely engaged by the regular people around her, as their culture and societies are what her life has been spent immersed in.

• Options
    reverse MotW: wolverine and the x-men can consider itself dropped after this week. its been on a massive downwards spiral post-Aaron. the increasingly nonsensical plot was complemented by some hideous art this issue. after reading stokoe avengers then transformers/ GI joe #1 i picked it up, got about a page in, then though nah, fuck this, game over for you.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm dropping WatXM too. It's too bad, as the book was fantastic under Aaron. I'm also going back and forth on if I want to keep reading Amazing as it's been feeling kinda lackluster after the initial arc but I might give it more time. X-Men (no adjective) started okay and has gotten better.

I haven't even tried the new X-Force.

Pretty much all the solo-book X-Men series haven't sold me on them, with the exception of young Cyclops' space adventures. Magneto is really in need of actual characters as it's 95% internal monologues.

At least All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and surprisingly to me, All-New X-Factor have all been great.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    adjectiveless remains on the verge of being dropped, its never quite lived up to it's hype.

magneto i'm trade waiting, i hear good things about it.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Cap'n Dinosaur One-Shot; "Activate Reptile Brain! Intellect off! Dino-crine system on MAX!"

Y6pKNy4.jpg
    gGE0uhj.jpg

Monster Motors One-Shot; "I am a vampire! I am eternal! I am Cadillacula!"
    zxelueD.jpg

Spider-Man 100th Anniversary Special; "How'd you ever give this up?"
    rKQuvOO.jpg

Undertow #6; "You live here? Then don't be afraid to die here!"
    0xn5wnC.jpg

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    What is Cap'n Dinosaur, why haven't I heard about it, and why is it the first thing in GV this year to get me excited?

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Maaan, basically anything by Shaky Kane is worth a look.

He really came to prominence by doing The Bulletproof Coffin with David Hine, which was this weird metatextual superhero story, about a guy who finds a bunch of old superhero memorabilia inside an old house, and is slowly drawn into this other, fantastic world.

But, Cap'n Dinosaur, and his other recent one-shot, That's Because You're A Robot, feel like a cut above. He's enlisted writers that are basically unknown to American audiences, like 2000 AD's Kek-W, and British journalist David Quantick, and dropped these strange, lovely comics into the marketplace. They're just brief little glimpses into these worlds that seem so much larger, and I think that's to their credit. They don't give you time to get tired of the joke. They reel you in enough to get you interested, and then leave you wanting more.