As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IIIIIIIIIII'm Hooked on a [Superhero Thread]

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron #10AI was a pretty good Pym one-shot too.
    Easily the best thing to come out of AoU

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    You know what really lets Mark Hamill stand out as a Joker?

It's the laugh.

I think he has the best laugh of any Joker I can think of.

And he brings his A-game to MotP in that regard.

That moment when Joker's explosives start going off, and the whole amusement park is going up in flames

For a second he looks completely horrified at the destruction around him

and then just busts out into his batshit cackling

Gives me goosebumps every time.

"Hello? Hello, operator? I believe my party's been .... disconnected!"

The way Hamill says 'disconnected' and that insane laugh afterwards

best Joker ever in my opinion.

Just for the fun of it I did a reading of a couple of memorable Joker lines from Phantasm, including the one mentioned here.

(warning: kind of loud)

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    For Pym, I always liked "Ant Man's Big Christmas."

I acknowledge this is not a common recommendation.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Went to pre-order my tickets and was surprised by a 7 PM IMAX showing. It's weird, but definitely appreciated that the usual time for these things keeps moving up.

Also almost completely fucked up and bought tickets for the lower "crane your neck" seats.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    MikeLL wrote: »
    Yeah, covers back during the silver age were designed to make people go "What the fuck is going on in here? I got to buy this."

9 times out of 10, it's not nearly as crazy as the cover tries to make it out to be.

and I love all of them.
    3675606-8468439600-97_4_.jpg

it's like my fourth time seeing this and i've just realized how fucking yellow the guy in the lower left corner is

had sixties people literally just never seen asians before?

like the white guys are white people coloured and the black guy is black people coloured but the asian guy is clearly from the distant planet tamaran

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    1027_4_030.jpg

hey

hey

nice smoking jacket

mmmmmmmmboy

Hot stuff, man!
    Superman is really on fire since he got that jacket, I tell you what!
    I'm burning with Jealousy over that father's day gift!

Goatmon on

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I have the Doctor Strange Season One coming in the mail too which I have heard is pretty good. I'm definitely going back to that comic book store soon as they have a big pile of cheap HC trades.

I have these coming in the mail in total:
    The Black Beetle Volume 1: No Way Out
    Lazarus Volume 1 TP
    Secret Warriors - Volume 1: Nick Fury, Agent of Nothing
    Velvet Volume 1 TP
    Black Science Volume 1 TP
    Secret Warriors - Volume 2: God of Fear, God of War
    Dr. Strange: Season One
    Saga Volume 3
    Marvel 1602: 10th Anniversary Edition
    Young Avengers Volume 1

How are The Runaways? I saw a ton of TPBs at the store. Where do I start? They had a tiny version (like manga size) of I think the first trade for $4, and then they had a bunch of other trades that didn't have numbers but had titles. I think I might just wait for this.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well part of that is that at the time they didn't like to use very complex colors in order to keep printing as cheap as possible.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I have the Doctor Strange Season One coming in the mail too which I have heard is pretty good. I'm definitely going back to that comic book store soon as they have a big pile of cheap HC trades.

Lazarus Volume 1 TP
    Velvet Volume 1 TP
    Saga Volume 3
    Young Avengers Volume 1

How are The Runaways? I saw a ton of TPBs at the store. Where do I start? They had a tiny version (like manga size) of I think the first trade for $4, and then they had a bunch of other trades that didn't have numbers but had titles. I think I might just wait for this.

Get the complete Vaughn collection. Basically, if Vaughn is in the writer's name credit box, you're holding gold. Grab it.

If, for some reason, that isn't enough, you can do worse than to grab the Whedon issues. Not perfect, not even all that good, but it has some moments.

The worse is EVERYTHING NOT VAUGHN OR WHEDON. Do not touch them without gloves. Do not look at them. Do not open them. And for the love of all that's good and holy do not read them.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Lazarus Volume 1 TP
    Velvet Volume 1 TP
    Saga Volume 3
    Young Avengers Volume 1

Yeah, just wait for that complete collection. If you decide not to, this is what you need

Pride and Joy
    Teenage Wasteland
    The Good Die Young
    True Believers
    Escape to New York
    Parental Guidance
    Live Fast

I'm told the stuff that comes after that isn't worth picking up.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm finally finishing Fraction's FF (boy that's a lot of F's)
    He really doesn't like Doom, does he

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm finally finishing Fraction's FF (boy that's a lot of F's)
    He really doesn't like Doom, does he

Nope, and it brings down the quality of the book by a lot, IMO.

• Options
    To be fair, Fraction didn't write all that about Lang beating Doom. He said all that stuff was entirely Mike Allred's idea.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Well part of that is that at the time they didn't like to use very complex colors in order to keep printing as cheap as possible.

oh that makes sense actually

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's a good story and I think that kind of treatment would fit better with another villain
    But coming off of Triumph and Torment it's a big drop for Doom

• Options
    To be fair, Fraction didn't write all that about Lang beating Doom. He said all that stuff was entirely Mike Allred's idea.
    Doom was pretty horrible throughout though

Just being a really generic supervillain

I KIDNAPPED YOUR PARENTS ALEX POWER, NOW KILL FOR ME MUAHAHAHA

That shit's amateur hour, Doom knows better

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It's a good story and I think that kind of treatment would fit better with another villain
    But coming off of Triumph and Torment it's a big drop for Doom

It's even weirder if you were keeping up with Fantastic Four and FF at once, since over in Fantastic Four, Kessel was writing old school classic Doom. Not, like, best Doom ever, but solid stuff.

I kept expecting a twist that never came.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It must have been a faulty Doombot.

Yeah, lets go with that!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Lazarus Volume 1 TP
    Velvet Volume 1 TP
    Saga Volume 3
    Young Avengers Volume 1

Runaways is my favorite comic book

But yes

Wait for that collection

Shit, I have all the trades and I'm probably still gonna pick that up

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yeah, lets go with that!

Sadly Uatu and the Living Tribunal showed up to prove otherwise.

It was like that story was written specifically to shit on Doom with the most authority possible. (Seriously, the Living Tribunal shows up to go "Doom, you are terrible.")

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Even the shitty 90's Cartoon Fantastic Four animated series made it clear that Doom was above that sort of thing.

At one point Doom resorts to kidnapping Sue Storm, and she's giving shit for it, all

"Isn't petty kidnapping pretty low for you, Doom?"

"Yes, I must apologize Mrs. Richards for involving you in the tired Damsel in Distress Cliche. I feel the only thing missing is an onrushing train. But, sometimes expedience outweighs originality."

Goatmon on

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My Runaways hardcovers are some of the first collections I bought, I love them so much. I wonder why the Complete Collection vol. 2 doesn't include Runaways vol. 2 #19-24 though? Those were still written by Vaughan.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    My Runaways hardcovers are some of the first collections I bought, I love them so much. I wonder why the Complete Collection vol. 2 doesn't include Runaways vol. 2 #19-24 though? Those were still written by Vaughan.

Yeah, that is...strange...

• Options

And his anger at Alex was all wrong. No "You presume Doom needed YOUR help?" offended pride. Just being a dickhole.

My vote for worst moment, though, was over in Fantastic Four. The flashback time travel with Doom in college.

It has Doom embrace a destiny written by others, which... no. Not even if the others are him.

• Options

Yeah, lets go with that!

wyczXtp.jpg

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Yeah, that is...strange...

It's the complete collection, not the complete collection by Brian K Vaugn. I imagine there will be more volumes with issues #19-30, vol 3 issues #1-14, Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways #1-4 and/or Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers #1-3

EDIT: Actually, that's what I bet they'll do.

Volume 3 will be issues #19-21, Civil War #1-4, issues, #22-30 and secret invasion #1-3. That adds up to 19 issues.
    Volume 4 can just be #1-14 and nobody buys it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wish I had gotten that third Runaways hardcover when it was available. So much regret...

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I get why people feel the need to come in and write Doom as being an absolute monster

They don't like the glorification and justification that can sometimes come along with villains of a more "noble" bent, and they want to "correct" the perception by going "no really guys they're EVIL"

And on the face of it, I sort of agree (the number of people willing to bend over backward to excuse Movie Loki is a little absurd) but the problem is that it comes off as schizophrenic and out of character and a tad petty on the writer's part

Plus, there's a place for that kind of villain. Doom should be one of the exceptions, as it's absolutely vital to his character that he maintain some kind of twisted nobility. His whole ego depends upon Doom being the best at everything so he can hold it all over Reed Richards' head

The issue where he aids Sue Storm in delivering her child, names her, and then places her under his royal protection is my favorite example of this—on the face of it, he's saved two lives, but the only reason he did it is so he could lord it over Reed Richards for all time

You've got your Red Skulls and your Builders and your Ultrons and your Annhiluses and even your Thanoses if pure evil is your game

Let Doom be Doom

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    It's the same reason Morrison's Magneto sucks

While Doom and Mags may have once been full-evil, unsympathetic monsters, they have become incredibly complicated nuanced characters over the decades. That doesn't mean their actions are justified, but it means they should have a halfway decent motivation for doing anything, not just HEY I'M ON DRUGS AND ALSO FUCK HUMANS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Yeah, lets go with that!

wyczXtp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS-Gmq2cQU

Seriously, Doom was the one great thing about this show.

Bless you, Simon Templeman.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I get why people feel the need to come in and write Doom as being an absolute monster

They don't like the glorification and justification that can sometimes come along with villains of a more "noble" bent, and they want to "correct" the perception by going "no really guys they're EVIL"

And on the face of it, I sort of agree (the number of people willing to bend over backward to excuse Movie Loki is a little absurd) but the problem is that it comes off as schizophrenic and out of character and a tad petty on the writer's part

Plus, there's a place for that kind of villain. Doom should be one of the exceptions, as it's absolutely vital to his character that he maintain some kind of twisted nobility. His whole ego depends upon Doom being the best at everything so he can hold it all over Reed Richards' head

The issue where he aids Sue Storm in delivering her child, names her, and then places her under his royal protection is my favorite example of this—on the face of it, he's saved two lives, but the only reason he did it is so he could lord it over Reed Richards for all time

You've got your Red Skulls and your Builders and your Ultrons and your Annhiluses and even your Thanoses if pure evil is your game

Let Doom be Doom

I'm hoping at some point that when it turns out one of the Illuminati told Doom what was going on with the Incursions (because you need Doom to fight alternate Doom) it all turns out that Doom's plan to save the Universes would have worked, but Lang, the replacement chosen by Richards himself, fucked it all up, and Doom will never let him forget it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    you know what's a weird Doom moment is the issue of Bendis' New Avengers where Doom calls Ms. Marvel a "fat cow" and a "whore" and I'm like... that's not how Doom rolls, dude.

• Options
    you know what's a weird Doom moment is the issue of Bendis' New Avengers where Doom calls Ms. Marvel a "fat cow" and a "whore" and I'm like... that's not how Doom rolls, dude.
    Yeah Bendis has a very misogynistic view of Doom which is...not great.

Remember how when Doom day-dreamed his destruction of the Cabal and had Emma Frost and Madame Masque literally chained to his throne in slave Leia outfits?

yeah

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah Bendis has a very misogynistic view of Doom which is...not great.

Remember how when Doom day-dreamed his destruction of the Cabal and had Emma Frost and Madame Masque literally chained to his throne in slave Leia outfits?

yeah

And yeah. That's just... not his style.

Doom's very egalitarian, in a way. There's only two kinds of people.

Doom, and Doom's lessers. Beyond that, distinctions are academic.

(Ignoring the accursed RIIICCHHHHAAAARRRRRDDDDSSSSSSSS)

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Lazarus Volume 1 TP
    Velvet Volume 1 TP
    Saga Volume 3
    Young Avengers Volume 1

Get the complete Vaughn collection. Basically, if Vaughn is in the writer's name credit box, you're holding gold. Grab it.

If, for some reason, that isn't enough, you can do worse than to grab the Whedon issues. Not perfect, not even all that good, but it has some moments.

The worse is EVERYTHING NOT VAUGHN OR WHEDON. Do not touch them without gloves. Do not look at them. Do not open them. And for the love of all that's good and holy do not read them.

I quite enjoyed whedon's story, even if you're right that it didn't live up to Vaughn. I was disappointed he didn't continue writing those characters, partly because I think whedon gets better the longer he's writing a book and mostly because of the wretched offenses that followed after he left.

• Options
    For those that want a really good villain book, read the current Magneto ongoing.

I really can't oversell how great it is. It is fucking pitch-black dark and Erik is 100% painted as a monster, but a very compelling one and his extremely creative use of his now-dulled powers is downright terrifying.

Here is my favorite moment so far, heads up as some pretty violent shit goes down:
    Erik is hunting down a group of mercenaries that are kidnapping people from vagrant camps and turning them into sleeper Omega Sentinels, while doing so he has a flashback to his childhood during the Holocaust (Erik is the other boy hiding behind the wall):
    8jUfii9.jpg
    99YQ698.jpg?1
    Erik then finds the mercs and goes to town on them with a handful of rusty nails
    FcKrHSu.jpg?1
    wY5Nxtt.jpg?1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh shit I found an unedited version of Dan Turnpin's funeral scene, complete with the cameos. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6B_vPCYsM

• Options
    Not to poop on the gravity of that scene, but I wonder if Clark had to make up some excuse to not go, so that Superman could be there.

This discussion has been closed.