As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    0:38 - who's are the women in this scene (Avengers tower "party")?
    Left to right, it's:
    Banner, Romanova, unknown female #1, Thor, Rogers, unknown female #2, Rhodes, Stark, Barton.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Left to right, it's:
    Banner, Romanova, unknown female #1, Thor, Rogers, unknown female #2, Rhodes, Stark, Barton.
    Speculation has been Maria Hill and Natalie Portman's character

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That was a hell of a trailer. Age of Ultron is going to get dark.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    So Spader is doing an excellent job with this voice. When that patched together barely living looking version of Ultron shambles into that room and crushes the other robots head, with that "youre all puppets on strings" voice over. I was legitimately creeped the fuck out.

What really struck me, having not read any Ultron comics? I was expecting a cold calculating skynet kinda guy, offing or enslaving humanity for their own good. Nope, he's just fuckin' nuts.

The articulation on his face at the end was unexpected, but reaaally appreciated.

Ultron isn't a typical murderous robot. He's very human despite acting like he isn't. It's what makes him one of the best Avengers villains. He's a murderbot with daddy issues.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Bobble wrote: »
    Left to right, it's:
    Speculation has been Maria Hill and Natalie Portman's character

I'm seeing people saying it's
    Korean Actress Kim Soo-hyun, who was cast in the movie awhile ago.

http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-cast-korean-actress/

EDIT: “I am a doctor/scientist who is friends with Tony Stark,”

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I loved loved loved that the modulation changed on ultron's voice. like it was not just generic synthesizer sound or darth vader kids voice changing toy. it had it's own emotional range.

that may sound dumb and silly but it was a great detail and I could listen to James Spader talk forever

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I have such a hard time reconciling that this is the same James Spader who played Daniel Jackson.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I have such a hard time reconciling that this is the same James Spader who played Daniel Jackson.

James Spader's played a lot of crazy people in his career.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Who's the bearded man in the teaser trailer at 1:33?

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

The current assumption is that he's a dude named Claw, Vibranium expert.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options

There's a rumor he's
    Ulysses Klaw.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

There's a rumor he's
    Ulysses Klaw.
    I just hope he doesn't have a terrible Russian or German accent.
    The Klaw is a ridiculous villain from Marvel's history. I have the Marvel Legends action figure of him. Hilarious.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The very menacing, "There are no strings on me" at the end sounded very mechanical.
    The trailer has Ultron's voice progressively becoming less human over the course of the trailer. I wonder if the movie will have him starting out very relatable and human-like, but becoming more and more monstrous and unrelatable as the film progresses.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

In my headcannon Ultron's AI is based on a brain scan of Alan Shore.

• Options
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Huh. You know who we didn't see in the trailer?
    Vision.
    He was probably invisible.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Pics of Vision leaked a while back.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Huh. You know who we didn't see in the trailer?
    Vision.

Noticed this myself - and there were a few things that I didn't know about 'til the trailer. Be interesting to see what goes into future trailers.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The very menacing, "There are no strings on me" at the end sounded very mechanical.
    The trailer has Ultron's voice progressively becoming less human over the course of the trailer. I wonder if the movie will have him starting out very relatable and human-like, but becoming more and more monstrous and unrelatable as the film progresses.

I think it might be more that the tries to sound urbane and reasonable all the time, but that's just him trying to keep a lid on things. Whenever he becomes agitated by something his crazy starts to bubble over, and his voice becomes more and more distorted.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I REALLY hope we don't get the whole "Villain tries sowing doubt in the heroes by telling them they aren't thinking for themselves and are just lackeys (puppets on strings) for trying to protect people who aren't praising/thanking/submitting to them enough"-subplot. Well, at least not if it is used in its most simple iteration.

I think it's a lot more than that.

"You're all puppets. Tangled in... strings."

Notice the pregnant pause; followed by the disdain loaded onto the word "strings." That's being used on multiple levels. The surface ones would be referring Ultron's captivity as a "pet" AI and his determination to be free of those bonds. Going deeper, however, I think Ultron is alluding to the social bonds that all humans share. As a computer that thinks like a person (let alone thinking like a narcissist like Tony Stark), they would be both familiar and alien to him all at once. He doesn't understand these interpersonal bonds, let alone giving of himself to help an "other," but if he's anything like he is in the comics, part of him wants to. That dichotomy is what's driven him to madness. I don't think he's actually being entirely genuine when he states "there are no strings on me," either. He does have a string, a bond- he has a father. And he'll never be truly free until he cuts that (umbilical) cord to Stark. And that my friends, is some pretty damn good writing.

... Or it's just my english major coming out and I'm reading too much into this Oedipus Complex.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Ultron, in the comics, is as much a manipulator as a combat badass. So it's much more likely that he will actually manipulate the heroes, or the whole world, into a dangerous place, rather than just say that to make them self-doubt.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So...
    Tony's kinda the bad guy in this, huh? The Hulk fight (*squee!* Hulkbuster Armor!) and the general plot point that he creates Ultron make it seem like he's on everyone's shit list in this one. Which would dovetail nicely into the rumors that Avengers 3 will be the cinematic take on Civil War, but as a comic fan, I'm kinda tired of Tony being the guy everyone else hates.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    So...
    Tony's kinda the bad guy in this, huh? The Hulk fight (*squee!* Hulkbuster Armor!) and the general plot point that he creates Ultron make it seem like he's on everyone's shit list in this one. Which would dovetail nicely into the rumors that Avengers 3 will be the cinematic take on Civil War, but as a comic fan, I'm kinda tired of Tony being the guy everyone else hates.

Age of Ultron speculation
    No. He's fucked up creating a monster that slipped its leash. It's unintentional.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So...

No. He's fucked up creating a monster that slipped its leash. It's a hank pym thing.

Fixed.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

The Iron Man 3 trailer was pretty dark too.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So...

No. He's fucked up creating a monster that slipped its leash. It's a hank pym thing.

Fixed.

AoU speculation
    That doesn't change anything. Once Ultron's in control of himself he's responsible for his own actions. The "strings" he mentioned in the trailer? That's Tony's leash. If Ultron was acting under Tony's orders I'd agree with you.

The Iron Man 3 trailer was pretty dark too.

Whedon doesn't pull that bullshit with his movies.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Whedon has been saying for a while now that AoU was going to be dark.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Houn wrote: »

In my headcannon Ultron's AI is based on a brain scan of Alan Shore.
    Raymond Reddington would make more sense.
    Houn wrote: »
    Whedon doesn't pull that bullshit with his movies.
    Yeah, only in his politics. :P

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Whedon has been saying for a while now that AoU was going to be dark.

I expect it to be darker than what the teaser showed. Whedon does dark really well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Whedon doesn't cut the trailers.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dark is pretty much the tone they have to set with the first trailer.

The last film ends with them all being buddy-buddy awesome superheroes who totally saved the entire fucking planet. Your trailer for the next film still has to establish stakes in light of this. So you either play up new personal conflict or use editing and music and such to emphasize that no matter how awesome a footing things seemed on last time, shit still gonna get real. (the script almost certainly uses the first and later trailers may well incorporate it as well)

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    shryke wrote: »
    Dark is pretty much the tone they have to set with the first trailer.

The last film ends with them all being buddy-buddy awesome superheroes who totally saved the entire fucking planet. Your trailer for the next film still has to establish stakes in light of this. So you either play up new personal conflict or use editing and music and such to emphasize that no matter how awesome a footing things seemed on last time, shit still gonna get real. (the script almost certainly uses the first and later trailers may well incorporate it as well)
    Well, this is to set the stage for the Civil War. I'm guessing Hulk goes crazy mad and kills a bunch of innocent people. Ant-Man occurs during the congressional debate over the act.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The rumour was Captain America 3 would be Civil War, not Avengers 3. So it'd be much smaller scale. Like it sounds like it'll be Cap vs Iron Man more than a faithful Civil War adaption. :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Act II always leaves our heroes in their lowest point, so that in the big finale we can watch their triumph. Look at where the rebels are at the end of Empire for a classic example.

Also,
    I hope Scarlet Witch does more than just scream constantly as she does in that trailer.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    There was the part where she appears to throw some energy at a guy without looking. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She also just stands there very well! What do you want from the poor girl?!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    She also just stands there very well! What do you want from the poor girl?!

She's waiting for the animators to create the CGI for her spells. That's why she's screaming.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    i'm just saying

gothy screamy girl is something that popped up on buffy a little too often and river got real close

i'm sure it'll be fine, but it bothers me that it looks like there's three different scenes where she's doing the same thing (in three different locations)

she's not black canary

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    It's almost like she's been imprisoned and tortured by hydra for most of her life.

• Options
    It's almost like she's been imprisoned and tortured by hydra for most of her life.

hydra likes to keep their prisoners super pretty.