As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Might miss the first couple races but I will be joining soon enough!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Durp, just had to hit the wall at the end there.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Durp, just had to hit the wall at the end there.

I don't regret taking that opening.

And then I fucked up during Moo Moo Meadows.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    3rd place stop hitting 2nd place. 1st place is getting away.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Yarg, we allowed the foul computer to beat us!

• Options
    Yarg, we allowed the foul computer to beat us!

I think Baby Mario's on Steroids.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dear person behind me:

Please stop spamming red shells.

Sincerely,

Skeldare

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I've gotten hit with four red shells in a row. There is only three in a set

• Options
    Fun games! I have to say that I like shells only a lot of the one item races.

• Options
    Results!

pmxvhfcssro6.jpg

It felt like the races were closer than the results would indicate. Though I guess there were quite a few where first place broke away and couldn't be caught. It's also nice to see some other people joining.
    Fun games! I have to say that I like shells only a lot of the one item races.

Yeah, it almost feels like frantic mode without having to worry about bullets, stars and lightning. There seemed to be a lot of strategy on when to hold shells and when to hope you can catch someone without being hit yourself.

Sorry @CGH for not sticking around longer. I didn't want to lose too many of the replays. I'll try to look through them a post some tomorrow.

• Options
    SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    I was driving like total crap last night. I let baby peach and baby mario AIs shame me in the standings quite a few times. :bigfrown:

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Options
    Replay time!

I decided to do things a bit differently. I've been spending too much time with different combination of racers and settings to try to get some interesting replays, which usually aren't as interesting compared to the amount of work that went into them. So this time I quickly ran through all the replays I had (I'm missing two in the middle) and noted each racer's highest place. Then I just made a single racer replay from each person's highest place race. If someone had multiple races where they finished in the same highest place I tried to pick the most interesting one.

I think it turned out pretty good. Other than waiting for the uploads it went a lot faster than my normal process. I may try to keep this up for future rounds.

First up is @Taramoor who didn't stick around for the full set of races. He takes a bit of a beating in this replay and only managed to hit fourth place this time. I love the fact that the last red shell refuses to hit him until after crossing the finish line.

http://youtu.be/vS1eoviRDDo

Next is TJ (who I'm guessing is @SilentRoughWater‌) who managed to place third in three races. This one was my favorite. It is nerve wracking to drive next to someone with a shell in their hand. I managed to hang in there as best I could. I also like the red shell dodge at the end.

http://youtu.be/0U16f4qae5w

The highlights for @skeldare prove that you should never give up. You never know when Rehab is going to mess up that final turn on Shy Guy Falls.

http://youtu.be/d_lpRSnie60

@Rehab takes advantage of an early blue shell and skillfully avoids my retaliation while lapping Baby Peach.

http://youtu.be/f2uYCc-r1Do

In Piranha Plant Slide it's my turn to take advantage of Corey's blue shell misfortune. Maybe there is something to hanging back in second place.

http://youtu.be/coQFiY3fl14

Our final racer is Corey/@CGH. I had trouble finding a replay that wasn't him dominating with an overwhelming lead. It's the running theme of overtaking a blue shell victim to win. That didn't keep me from trying to stop him though.

http://youtu.be/Vsn8v7gRhd0

As a bonus here is everyone's lovable scamp, Baby Mario. He gave Rehab a solid forward/backward red shell one two punch at the finish line to humiliate us with a first place win on Dragon Driftway.

http://youtu.be/DWL1-s1Su98

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 34

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 34 races begin SUNDAY January 25th from 6 PM to 730 PM CST (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 12 AM to 130 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, The settings poll has been retired. I may open it back up if there is demand for it. Going forward, here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

zlCfzS6uQLQAysEkBp

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 2 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 01/11 Mirror Frantic Mode
    • 01/18 150cc Coins Only
    • 01/25 Mirror Normal Items
    • 02/01 150cc Normal Items
    • 02/08 Mirror Bananas Only
    See you on the track!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Those are some really good highlights! I like the end of Taramoor's quite a bit.

And fuck Baby Mario!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cravipat wrote: »

Is it me, or does the thumbnail here almost make it look like Link is happily riding in Morton's sidecar?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Man, wouldn't it be awesome if there were a Mario Kart game where you could... actually... do... that...?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Man, wouldn't it be awesome if there were a Mario Kart game where you could... actually... do... that...?

Some sort of two-person double's racer. Dashing around tracks together.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm out of town so I won't be around for the tournament tonight. If someone could post the results of tonight's races, that'd be most righteous.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Don't think I'll make it tonight. Evil Dead Remake is on and I kind of want to watch it.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Theoretically I could swipe second from Mr. Blarney with a first place in another race, but it looks like it was just us five tonight. Ah well, good games (except for the three I lost because someone came from behind me with a Bullet Bill in the last seconds of the race, those were all shit).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    That damn Larry CPU, what was up with him? Good races, even with the smaller turnout.
    Kupi wrote: »
    Theoretically I could swipe second from Mr. Blarney with a first place in another race, but it looks like it was just us five tonight. Ah well, good games (except for the three I lost because someone came from behind me with a Bullet Bill in the last seconds of the race, those were all shit).

Yeah I might have been one of those... I regret nothing

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    @Kupi, I actually opened up a new lobby if you want to fight it out for second.

Highlights coming soon, lots of great races today.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yah, fun races despite the small group, guess everyone else was busy.

I still don't know how dragon driftway works...

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Sunday Drivers #34 Tournament Highlights:

Two Rosalinas come in on top, as MrBlarney scores a lucky triple red shells to take first and Kupi uses a Mushroom at the end to land in a close second.
    http://youtu.be/bzMGKwwYYes

Kupi takes a strong victory in the Twisted Mansion.
    http://youtu.be/gS8fBTp9PwI

Halos Nach Tariff overtakes on the final corner of the track to take the race.
    http://youtu.be/Q8vN9c7Jj4s

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm not nearly as good as @AbsoluteZero‌ and have no idea how to create fancy screenshots of the tourney rankings, nor do I know where he hides his lovely spreadsheets, but for those interested the final scores from last nights races were:

1st: Catrine - 215
    2nd: MrBlarney - 167
    3rd: William - 153
    4th: Skeldare - 134
    5th: Timbit - 115

Congratulations everyone!

• Options
    Penny-Arcade G&T Sunday Drivers Week 34 -- Stats Update

yetaaavvv2ov.png
    9hbl2nc5anzm.png
    xfo0l0zy234s.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Thanks to all who participated in Week 34's races. See you again next SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    It's Wednesday! Time to drive.

5YIBWpn.jpg

I was too lazy to grab a new image but this week is just a normal all items race. See you on the track.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I can't really stay up late enough to participate in the Wednesday races any more unfortunately.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I understand that the biggest sporting event of the year is going down at much the same time as our weekend tournament.

Puppy Bowl be damned, Marios shall be karted this Sunday. I will be there.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I have no stakes in the Super Bowl so unless something unexpected happens I'll be racing too.

And booting up Mario Kart right now of course!

• Options
    I hope no one else saw that first race. Shameful

• Options
    Damned banana peels! :P

• Options
    Wow, I somehow keep getting screwed over by lightning for some reason.

And backwards fired shells.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Geez, there have been some really tight races tonight!

• Options
    Well that was an embarrassing race.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hit by the old victory shell.

• Options
    I would have thought shells only last week would have been more brutal than what is going on tonight

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    cravipat wrote: »
    I would have thought shells only last week would have been more brutal than what is going on tonight

Thanks for staying around and letting me finish my last 2 races. We had a pretty good neck and neck race on the Royal Raceway track. That is until my drift button failed me at the second to last turn and I ended up in the grass.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    CGHCGH Registered User regular
    I hate the Mario Kart gods so much. So much.

• Options
    Making deals with Lord Satan is pretty rad though, let me tell you!

This discussion has been closed.