As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I forgot about my other commitments tonight. I am proud of my score and I stand by it.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    That was the absolute WORST I've ever played! UGH!

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • ConnConn Registered User regular
    Alright, good races, everyone. I got a family obligation to attend. I'll come back with highlight reels in the evening.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That Yoshi Valley Bridge Massacre was something else.

I'll have to take a moment of silence next time I drive by.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Good lord that lag, absolutely horrendous.
    Of course it didn't help that everytime I got hit it was at the exact right angle to flip me off the track or into a fallen shell or similar.
    Blech, I'd rather this one be stricken from the record...

• Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    Good lord that lag, absolutely horrendous.
    Of course it didn't help that everytime I got hit it was at the exact right angle to flip me off the track or into a fallen shell or similar.
    Blech, I'd rather this one be stricken from the record...

Seconded! :(

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, it was laggy. I was told a few times "you got first!" only to find out "just kidding, you got 7th."

Let's go bikes!

MiserableMirth on
    I had a worse week somewhere.

Must have been the first Bananas Only! :P

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Tried a new kart combination today, sacrificing a bar of Top Speed to gain a bar of Acceleration. I feel like my performance was somehow a little bit more consistent this time, though if you look at the final standings, there doesn't appear to be much change. But today's races were rather brutal... if you weren't in the top two spots. Seems like every race, there was just a huge patch of people from 4th place to 9th place without much spacing. I wonder what caused this apparent difference in pack behavior? Or am I just going a little crazy?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mother fucker did I really only lose by 13 points? That connection error on Toad Harbor might've cost me the tourney (I mean, if I had won, which I might not have, 'cause we got some good folks here)!

I like this Courtney fellow. I hope he plays with us more often.

Conn on
    Oh man, 0:37 of music park is classic mario kart.

Highlight reels abound!

Our eventual champion Courtney opens up the event with foreshadowing win on Hyrule Circuit!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIBJO89CUAA

Nick demonstrates good use of items on Donut Plains, but I'm too far ahead of him to relinquish the win.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dSdO9yI8bM

Lots of lead changes tend to happen on GBA Mario Circuit, and Mr. Blarney had it when it mattered most.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749xNADubto

Clearly, the most logical place to race Karts Only was on Excite Bike. Clearly. William seemed to think so, at least.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1_o8LA3RE

Nick apparently fucking loves Hyrule Circuit, because he voted for it all 3 times it came up, got his pick twice, and even won once!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vfSzthMe1s

See you all next week! Let's see how the switch to Bikes Only switches things up!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, third place! It's been a long, long time since I did that well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I gotta say, there was a time when I stood a chance to win these things. Now I get stomped pretty regularly. You guys have gotten really good!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    I'm using tilt controls! You're using tilt controls! We are all using tilt controls! At least for tonight.

oSQGvPj.jpg

Don't forget it's also mirror mode. I expect to slam into the wall on every course that I can't see the first turn from the starting line.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
    Heh, what do you have to do to earn that Gold Steering Wheel?

Mirror is causing me some problems

Rehab wrote: »
    Heh, what do you have to do to earn that Gold Steering Wheel?

You have to play so many games in a row with tilt controls. I don't remember the exact number

Apologies in advance for the dick red shell attack. :P

Metal Mario has got to go.

I think we can make this look like an accident.

I just assumed Nick was playing without showing up in the list.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I couldn't figure out how to fire a weapon in the first race. Also for whatever reason it is a pain to hold an item behind me with my thumb and use my middle finger to drift. I definitely should have played a practice round or 2 beforehand.

NNID = Zepp914
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well hell, I totally forgot that this was tonight!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I couldn't figure out how to fire a weapon in the first race. Also for whatever reason it is a pain to hold an item behind me with my thumb and use my middle finger to drift. I definitely should have played a practice round or 2 beforehand.

I was going to practice beforehand but thought going in relatively blind would be more fun.

Was rather pleased with how I did aside from some blatantly botched turns and the occasional slamming right into walls.

• CGHCGH Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Well, that happened.

Considering my goal was to beat cravipat in one race, and that did happen due to him (I think) having extremely bad luck, I'm happy with how tonight went.

Actually, based on the two time trials I attempted before I entered the tourney, I thought I was going to be lucky to break 40 points. Only having 3 other human players helped with that, I guess.

I do like how my attitude shifted from trying to pick the courses I'd find the easiest to picking the hardest ones about halfway through. The adult beverages I was consuming may have contributed to that.

I am looking forward to being able to drift consistently next week. I did try it more and more as the night went on, with varying success (mostly no success).

The good news is that Mirror Mode didn't mess with me tonight. I was going too slow for that to happen.

Also, I will never stop picking Grumble Volcano. Never!

CGH on
    CGH wrote: »
    Considering my goal was to beat cravipat in one race, and that did happen due to him (I think) having extremely bad luck, I'm happy with how tonight went.

Most of my bad places were due to my inability wrap my head around some of those mirror courses. We played Yoshi Circuit twice and I was still bumping into walls. But I learned a helpful trick on Bowser's Castle. The statue at the end of the entry hallway points in the direction of the first turn.
    I do like how my attitude shifted from trying to pick the courses I'd find the easiest to picking the hardest ones about halfway through.

No one would go for the new Rainbow Road though.
    Also, I will never stop picking Grumble Volcano. Never!

The blooper actually took me out on this one. I have enough trouble with the normal version of the course that with ink on the screen I fell into one of the cracks.

Here were the results of the small turn out.

NsSA9ek.jpg

Next week mirror and normal items stay but everyone can go back to their precious, boring, button based controls. :P

• SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    I had to miss last night, but it had nothing to do with the tourney setup.

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
    Time for another replay theater.

Corey/@CGH followed through with his threat to do poorly but he did manage to grab a second in Cloudtop Cruise. Luigi just looks happy to be there.

http://youtu.be/31_ip_bqemU

@Dirk2112 is becoming the Yoshi of many colors. He took first on one of the two trips around Yoshi Circuit. And I'm only now realizing how fitting that is. Like Corey above he was very careful with his crazy 8 usage. Am I the only one that lets everything fly at once?

http://youtu.be/4Cyl9aDAsLQ

@Rehab was late for a plane at Sunshine Airport and wouldn't let any of us get in his way. Nice try with the finish line shell but you missed. Barely.

http://youtu.be/D9Dmgk79OBU

My replays were fairly boring so I'm offering my worst race of the night instead. Mute City is one of the DLC tracks that still gives me trouble. I love the death from above shot of Dirk2112 towards the end.

http://youtu.be/r59YVj7DTx0

The real racers of the night were the AI with five first place wins. Three of those wins, all in a row, were by this guy. Metal Mario.

http://youtu.be/23VUALnf3Dg

Bikes only should be pretty normal since the outward-drift bikes are basically skinny karts.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    cravipat wrote: »

@Dirk2112 is becoming the Yoshi of many colors. He took first on one of the two trips around Yoshi Circuit. And I'm only now realizing how fitting that is. Like Corey above he was very careful with his crazy 8 usage. Am I the only one that lets everything fly at once?

I used to let it all fly, but every time I did I would run right into the bob-omb. Throwing bob-ombs forward has never done me any good, so that one needs to go backwards.

I hope to see you all on Wednesday. I am not going to even attempt Sunday nights anymore :bigfrown:

NNID = Zepp914
    I always get nervous that someone is going to make off with my good stuff. If I'm fast enough I can trigger the star before I can accidentally hit myself with any of the other items.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I won't be able to take part this Sunday since I'll be watching the Oscars. Have fun without me, and do remember to drive recklessly.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited February 2015
    I use the crazy 8 differently depending on how close the next item boxes are. If there is a lot of space, I'll be more methodical. If not, I go full rambo.

MiserableMirth on
    edited February 2015
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 38

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 38 races begin SUNDAY February 22nd from 6 PM to 730 PM CST (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 12 AM to 130 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, The settings poll has been retired. I may open it back up if there is demand for it. Going forward, here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

zlCfzTCdUagvAgeBBm

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 2 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 02/08 Week 36: Mirror Bananas Only
    • 02/15 Week 37: 150cc Normal Items, Karts Only
    • 02/22 Week 38: Mirror Normal Items, Bikes Only
    • 03/01 Week 39: 150cc Shells Only
    • 03/08 Week 40: Mirror Normal Items, Tilt Controls Only
    See you on the track!!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Jesus Christ, the robot horse fucking sucks. I don't know how some of you deal with that shit.

Flame Rider for me this afternoon. Gotta have that outdrift.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I might actually be able to race tonight if my son lets me. It's been awhile. Cross your fingers for me!

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Ooops, forgot about this, guess I'm skipping this week...
    Monster hunter has its claws in me something fierce.

Also there's a fire right across the alley from my house. We're safe for now but if I drop out partway through the tourney, well...

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Ooops, forgot about this, guess I'm skipping this week...
    Monster hunter has its claws in me something fierce.
    Conn wrote: »
    Also there's a fire right across the alley from my house. We're safe for now but if I drop out partway through the tourney, well...

This means there's a chance for first!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.