As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I'm really rusty, but it was fun to be back!

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • ConnConn Registered User regular
    Owing to my limited participation, I've only got one highlight reel to share with you lot. I'm already shut down, so someone else might need to post results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_UjWL18LA

What the highlight reel doesn't show is the first blue shell hit I took, and the flurry of fireballs I hit on Nick and one other person to steal the win. Crazy shit.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    The pack seemed extra aggressive and brutal tonight.

• Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    @Conn: I'm uploading my video of the Mute City race right now :)

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The pack seemed extra aggressive and brutal tonight.

So many people meant that being hit often meant being hit immediately again afterwards as well.

And then you have that race or two where you get really crappy items and hoo boy.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    @Conn: Here's another view of the insanity! ^_^ My wife was filming on my phone with added color commentary :wink:

https://youtu.be/YRTeduwOyrc

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
    :lol: "Fucking Conn."

It's interesting to see the effect we have on people in real life. I could never record myself doing that, though. The comments I make during Mario Kart are significantly less palatable.

I remember hearing a star behind me, so I got out of the way as usual, but that wasn't good enough for mr starman. I got hunted down.

I like to make the "wah, wah, waaah" sound when I get combo'd into 10th. Laughter keeps me sane.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sorry this is a couple days late BUT ... Penny-Arcade G&T Sunday Drivers Week 42 Results

zlCfzTJu1dksvi11_O

71o2h7geuz8e.png
    aigtgo10y526.png
    i0ccqu4ags4m.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Thanks to all who participated in today's races. See you again next SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

Still working out some details but next Sunday's tournament will be a team game. Mario Kart 8 has no built in team assignment, allowing everyone to freely choose a team when they join the tournament. Therefore, in order to keep things competitive, I will be assigning teams. Will post deets soonish.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 43

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 43 races begin SUNDAY March 29th from 6 PM to 730 PM Central (7 PM to 830 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 530 PM Pacific, 11 PM to 1230 AM GMT). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, The settings poll has been retired. I may open it back up if there is demand for it. Going forward, here are the race settings:

WARNING: If you do not have DLC Pack 1 installed, NO KART FOR YOU.

zlCfzTJu8tUNseiKsq

THIS WEEK IS A TEAM GAME

5afckgw1sb5k.png

In order to ensure the teams are evenly matched, I am assigning teams. If you participated in the Sunday Drivers tournament in the past four weeks you will find your team assignment below. If you wish to participate this weekend and your ID is not listed below, PM me and I will assign you to a team. Conversely, if your name is listed below and you are unable to participate this weekend, please PM me. There may be last minute changes to the team assignments to keep things even. I will do my best to communicate these changes before the races begin.

When joining the tournament this Sunday, you will be prompted to join a team. If you fail to join the assigned team, your points will not be counted for yourself or your team. Honor system! Computer opponents are disabled, as the AI will attack teammates.

5to3588gf868.png

Absolute-0
    Conn @Conn
    Courtney @MiserableMirth
    Rehab @Rehab
    skeldare @skeldare
    William @Kupi

81soep0znouw.png

Catrine @Halos Nach Tariff
    Maz @Maz-
    MrBlarney @MrBlarney
    Nick @Raziel_pm
    PhysiMarc @physi_marc
    Timbit @Tim is on the Internet

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 1.5 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. CPU opponents have been activated, they will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

Upcoming Tournaments
    • 03/22 Week 42: Mirror Normal Items
    • 03/29 Week 43: 150cc Normal Items TEAM GAME
    • 04/05 Week 44: 150cc Normal Items
    • 04/12 Week 45: Mirror Normal Items
    See you on the track!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Count me in.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CGHCGH Registered User regular
    Oh, so teams can be picked? I've been lied to! By the internet!

Go red!

CGH wrote: »
    Oh, so teams can be picked? I've been lied to! By the internet!

Yes indeed. In fact, this is what the Team Select screen will look like on Sunday. This screen will pop after you select "Join" on the tournament page.

zlCfzTJ0Vzwkf0QWZw

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Huh, so the Red Dragon team is aligned with Super Mario and Blue Hydra is aligned with Lord Bowser.

Given how things usually play out between those two I must say, I like those odds. 8-)

I think I'm going to try to make it on Sunday. I would PM you, AbsoluteZero, Friday evening at the latest if I plan on being there.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Hail Hydra.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    You can pick teams? This is going to be poor planing on my part then.

ECZDPI0.jpg

To make matter worse I've named the teams Blue Team and Red Team. Yes, the names and colors are switched.

I don't have a good system to divide us up since while we consistently have 5 people it's not always the same 5 so it's up to everyone to pick their own team. My plan is to join the blue colored red team.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to tag in? I will be in California this weekend and thus unable to attend. If it goes over well, make a point of trying teams again soon!

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    (hail hydra)

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Unforunatl, I won't be able to make it next Sunday on account of it being my birthday, so my spouse is taking me out to dinner.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    cravipat wrote: »

To make matter worse I've named the teams Blue Team and Red Team. Yes, the names and colors are switched.

I don't have a good system to divide us up since while we consistently have 5 people it's not always the same 5 so it's up to everyone to pick their own team. My plan is to join the blue colored red team.

So I either have to be the red colored yoshi on the blue colored red team or the blue colored yoshi on the red colored blue team? Now I am not sure if I want to be on a green bike. This will make more sense tonight after I have had several beers.

NNID = Zepp914
    I guess that I will go with the Blue Team tonight so that we can start to even things out.

The next person who wants to pick a team can copy and paste this putting their name where they choose:

Blue Team - Rehab

Red Team - cravipat

edited March 2015
    If tonight we had the usual Wednesday regulars Corey, skeldare, and Dirk2112 added along with @Raziel_pm (since you started to play last week) that would make for even 3 VS 3 teams. If we have the usual five players it should probably be either

Blue Team - Rehab, CGH

Red Team - cravipat, skeldare, Dirk2112

or

Blue Team - Rehab, skeldare, Dirk2112

Red Team - cravipat, CGH

as the teams. I think that whichever of those we potentially went with would be interesting.

Rehab on
    Rehab wrote: »
    If tonight we had the usual Wednesday regulars Corey, skeldare, and Dirk2112 added along with @Raziel_pm (since you started to play last week) that would make for even 3 VS 3 teams. If we have the usual five players it should probably be either

Blue Team - Rehab, CGH

Red Team - cravipat, skeldare, Dirk2112

or

Red Team - cravipat, CGH

as the teams. I think that whichever of those we potentially went with would be interesting.

Either of those work for me. I just apologize for any friendly fire tonight. Old habits are hard to break.
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    So I either have to be the red colored yoshi on the blue colored red team or the blue colored yoshi on the red colored blue team? Now I am not sure if I want to be on a green bike. This will make more sense tonight after I have had several beers.

The obvious answer is purple.

@AbsoluteZero I'm gonna be visiting LA this weekend so I can't make the team tourney. I might try again if we wind up doing another team deal but otherwise my connection has been butts for online play lately so I'm kinda-sorta retiring, or something.

Red Team - cravipat, CGH

That's what I envisioned last night after the bombshell was revealed to me (and I'm sorry I spread false information) so I suppose this is what my vote is for.

CGH wrote: »

Red Team - cravipat, CGH

That's what I envisioned last night after the bombshell was revealed to me (and I'm sorry I spread false information) so I suppose this is what my vote is for.

Yeah, if we ever do teams again I'll work on planning it out in advance so that we have a better idea on who is showing up. I have nothing against people picking whatever they want but that line up is as good as anything.

Conn wrote: »
    @AbsoluteZero I'm gonna be visiting LA this weekend so I can't make the team tourney. I might try again if we wind up doing another team deal but otherwise my connection has been butts for online play lately so I'm kinda-sorta retiring, or something.

Sorry to hear that! Have you been able to diagnose your connection issue? I hope you will at least be able to join us again when DLC Pack 2 hits. You've been a lot of fun to race!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Conn wrote: »
    AbsoluteZero I'm gonna be visiting LA this weekend so I can't make the team tourney. I might try again if we wind up doing another team deal but otherwise my connection has been butts for online play lately so I'm kinda-sorta retiring, or something.

Sorry to hear that! Have you been able to diagnose your connection issue? I hope you will at least be able to join us again when DLC Pack 2 hits. You've been a lot of fun to race!

Nothing's really changed from a technical standpoint since we've started the tournaments. I just had the bare minimum of luck to have a stable connection for like one hour out of the week. I'm sharing a wifi signal with a lot of people and there's nowhere to get a hard-wired connection here.

I'll play tonight if that evens things up.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately Wednesdays are become pretty bad for Mario Kart. I don't think I'm going to make it tonight...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Well I suppose we will see how things fall together soon enough!

Hopefully we can see what the teams are going in.

I'm probably going to miss the first race or two, so if someone can post what the teams shake out to be early on I can join whichever side needs filling out.

Hmm, rather uneven teams!

Stupid computer racers. Anyone who joins go Red Team.

edited March 2015
    I just joined Blue Team

Spectating now...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Hoo boy that really changes the dynamic. So hard not to accidentally plow into a teammate when you've got orbiting shells.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Its a lot easier not to hit your own teammates then I thought it would be.

So hooray to that!

Ouch, that was all blue there!

I just realized we are playing shells only :lol: I'm like WTF is with all these shells???

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.