As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD HAS BEEN KRISPIED!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You really just have to dedicate to beating zoo by including Unstable Ghoul and mulling into it and lightning storm aggressively. Getting to 5 mana for Earth Elemental/Sludge Belcher at a decent life total is extremely important, since it's hard to stabilize against a shitbag that draws 2 Doomguards and 2 Soulfires, since that can be 18 to you from seemingly nowhere. Harvest Golem is also a must include imo, as it's usually a 2 for 1, but sometimes just trades with theirs. The last piece of the puzzle is the eggs. Defender of Argus being able to give some of your totems taunt if you just need to buy one lousy turn, or to turn an egg into a 1/3 taunt that then becomes a 4/4 is just something you've gotta do, I think. Being able to Coin out an egg on turn 1 and then Reincarnating it on turn 2 is also a completely viable strategy, and will typically put you ahead on board against zoo unless they've got the Soulfire for it. I honestly wish I knew what to take out for a Sunfury Protector. I've had people tell me Mana Tide Totem is bad/unreliable, but against Priests and Druids I find it's one of the better cards in my deck.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think Shaman should run at least 1 Mana Tide Totem. 2 is maybe not necessary, but it's good to have one.

• webberwebber Registered User regular
    And once Mana Tide is out, it will regularly get two cards played by the opponent to destroy it.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    currently trying this sucker http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=65684/modified-acp

its basically 1. all of the good priest cards thrown together, 2. baron r and the bling death rattles, 3. emphasis on singletons so you are never stuck with a pair of unusable cards

back to 6 from my rank 8 tumble, wanted to play something else because my priest is already 60 but its what I'm best at

about to replace cairne with loethb to slightly lower the curve and cairne is an underperformer

Chow with neither undertaker nor auchenai? I mean, you're priest is about 15 ranks higher than mine so I don't know how much I can say, but I'm not totally sure I agree with that decision. I mean, yeah, Chow is still a really good turn one drop on its own, but those two cards make it so much more valuable overall, and would still fit fine in deathrattly priest.

Chow is godly in priest because it makes your hero ability useful at 2 mana. Every other hero ability does SOMETHING on turn 2, and priest hero ability doesn't. The purpose of Chow isn't to damage the opponent, the purpose is to own the early board, cost cards to deal with, and trade favorably against every other 1 drop (or evenly in the case of flame imp). I'm a priest and I'm not trying to burst down the opponent, the 5/10 healing chow gives means nothing to me but the turn one presence is huge. This card shores up the major early game weakness priest has, and I can't think of making a new priest deck without it.

As for auchenai I used to have it and I've only used the chow combo twice and had it used against me once. In none of those cases did the 10 point swing make a difference since they were games that were already decided at that point. Also as nice as auchenai is I really want to be able to nova and holy fire at will without taking it into consideration. Also if you have auchenai you will have circle which is great when combod but dead otherwise.

I don't have undertaker because unless you get it on turn 1 with a deathrattle followup it severly underperforms. I used to run this deck http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/89664-zetalots-deathrattle-madness-regularly-updated and for every time undertaker did work another time it was drawn later in the game where it is a waste of a card slot.

Same with deathlord, they are too much rng except for the bad kind where the best result leaves you behind, the worst result loses the game. With hunters being 60% of opponents deathlord is a liability. I replaced them with harvest golems which dont have taunt but almost guarantee a target for the dark cultist deathrattle.

The single shadow word pain will occasionally perform spectacularly targetting a deathlord but on average it will target a belcher which is fine. Pyromancers are just great all around to eat spectral spiders for free, pop divine shields, and give nova and holy fire some more reach.

I would like to subscribe to your priestly newsletter. I've slowly come to the same conclusions you have. How do you fair against zoo?

That deck seems to do OK havent been tracking it. Pyromancer, chow, golems and cultists can all slow down zoo enough until you get to your novas and your bigger drops. Black knight is surprisingly effective against zoo since they carry argus or just popping voidwalkers to get a favorable trade. Like everything else it depends on opening hand. If they do void terror shenanigans its have death in hand or lose but there are lots of things like that.

I think I cracked rank 4 again yesterday which is my wall so I'll keep grinding and see how it goes.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Oh man, Hunter had a 11/7 Core hound with taunt out against my 4/4 Questing Adventurer and was at 1 HP, me at 3hp. I have no cards, he GG's me. My turn, draw moonfire. GG indeed!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Oh man, Hunter had a 11/7 Core hound with taunt out against my 4/4 Questing Adventurer and was at 1 HP, me at 3hp. I have no cards, he GG's me. My turn, draw moonfire. GG indeed!

Top deck victories are the sweetest victories.

3clipse wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Top deck victories are the sweetest victories.

Anti-BM victories are the sweetest victories. His was both, which makes it double sweet. Like a chocolate milkshake with heath bar chunks and a caramel swirl.

Fuck. I want one of those.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It drives me insane when someone is BMing me (like, a "Thank you" or "Well played" after every single play I make), and I just can't pull a win out. That makes me angrier than the actual BMing.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Dropped a Handlock to 8 HP, he played double Molten and Defender of Argus. I played Equality + Consecrate and killed him with my swarm of itty bitty tokens. Holy shit that's got to be so annoying.

edited August 2014
    well the priest deck has almost no chance against druids, druid of the claw and ancient of lore are guaranteed 2-3+ for 1s, the only chance is if the opponent has those cards buried at the bottom of their deck

I have no idea if it is possible to make a priest deck that has a decent win rate against druid and hunter

also freeze trap destroys priest, no way to play around it since you depend on guys staying on the field and getting good trades, I added a bluegill just for freeze trap, doesnt help

honestly I'm sick of losing based on opening hands

edit: so I made a "face mage" deck, first time I played it opponent was priest with mc tech....

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Dropped a Handlock to 8 HP, he played double Molten and Defender of Argus. I played Equality + Consecrate and killed him with my swarm of itty bitty tokens. Holy shit that's got to be so annoying.
    Eh, when you play handlock you have to accept paladins are an auto loss and move on. I find hunters much more annoying because do you have a chance depending on their deck, so when you lose it's crushing false hope.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Rogue in Arena just got out 2 Questing Adventurers and like 5 cards on both by turn 4/5. I've never even seen that happen in constructed.

mrflippy on
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I think Shaman should run at least 1 Mana Tide Totem. 2 is maybe not necessary, but it's good to have one.

My shaman deck runs 2 as I have been seeing more control decks that are willing to concede board control to me as I climb towards rank 5. It's just so good against opponents who can't instantly remove it and it goes 2-1 if it draws removal. I don't think I've ever lost a game when it stuck for 3-4 turns and at that point, I've seen opponents just give up and let it live as they seem to assume they can't catch up in card advantage at that point. It's an win condition vs control and I'd consider mulling for it like I'd mull for lightning storm against argo.

Drawing two cards a turn is good, who would have thought?

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • webberwebber Registered User regular
    Take that Frostwyrm Lair! KT with Ancestral Spirit was the all star. Twisting Nether can't touch me.

Beat Sapphiron with the warrior deck. Armor saved me since I have to go 4 turns into Fatigue with the dragon going 6 turns.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
    Korror wrote: »

My shaman deck runs 2 as I have been seeing more control decks that are willing to concede board control to me as I climb towards rank 5. It's just so good against opponents who can't instantly remove it and it goes 2-1 if it draws removal. I don't think I've ever lost a game when it stuck for 3-4 turns and at that point, I've seen opponents just give up and let it live as they seem to assume they can't catch up in card advantage at that point. It's an win condition vs control and I'd consider mulling for it like I'd mull for lightning storm against argo.

Drawing two cards a turn is good, who would have thought?

Yeah as I climb ranks I've been keeping more midrangey cards in my opener instead of digging for Unstable Ghouls and Lightning Storms. Keeping a hand of Egg/Defender of Argus/Harvest Golem is something I'll do blind against anything but a Warlock, and even then I may only pitch the Defender.

Question: If I play an echoing ooze and cast Rockbiter on it, is the copy going to get the +3 attack forever?

• AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Turn 6-Drop Cairne against a Deathrattle-shockadin, shockadin drops some weenies to rush me down as aggro decks are wont to do when you pull out a strong card, my Cairne is told to follow the rules.

Turn 7: Cairne Bloodhoof has no fucks to give about your "rules". Ancestral spirit + Reincarnate, top it off with a lightning storm to rub it in.

"Take heart young one, the Ea-take heart young one the Ea-The eyes of the Earth Mother are upon us". Music to my ears.

Man this deck may not be competitive, but the wins are so satisfying. This is Cow City, motherfuckers.

Australopitenico on
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    This guy in arena had two zombie chows and a flametongue in his starting hand. What a joke. Another priest run kneecapped at 9 wins, and it takes so freaking long to play that far with him. Patience being tested!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It drives me insane when someone is BMing me (like, a "Thank you" or "Well played" after every single play I make), and I just can't pull a win out. That makes me angrier than the actual BMing.

Why not squelch?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    VwQgx2H.jpg

Oh man, this comeback was crazy. I had been playing carefully all game, trying to play around Equality+Consecrate. Eventually I'm forced to yolo out my Ancient of War, being at 7 health and all. He doesn't have Equality, thank god, and he floods his board and plays Tirion. Paladin is at 23 Health, and I am at 7 health.

Black Knight had been in my hand most of the game. Despite the Pally playing Sludge Belchers and Senjins, I could hear the Black Knight whispering to me, telling me to wait. Telling me to be patient, that it would all pay off in the end. This moment was now.

Suddenly, my hands start moving on their own. There's no stopping the carnage about to ensue. Black Knight comes into play, slaying Tirion before he even got a chance to do anything. Paladin gets the Ashbringer, but none of that matters. Double and triple checking the damage I have, I play Savage Roar and GO NUTS. 24 DAMAGE TO THE DOME.

more like trashbringer amirite

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Things that feel good:

Beating a mage who coins a Deathlord on 2, then gets perfect Arcane Missiles on 3 (plus a Novice Engineer, so not the strongest play), and then Water Elementals on turn 4, 5, and 6.

Things that do not feel good:

Only drawing Lay on Hands when you're way fucking ahead and never in an even board state or when you're behind.
    Commons in your prize pool. I have plenty of Explosive Traps, game. Give me more than 80 gold for a 6-3.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Why not squelch?
    I mean... mostly because I'm a dummy who - in the heat of the moment - forgets that the option is there.

But also because it lets me construct a narrative in my head where my opponent is all the injustice and inequity in the world, the hate and the bigotry, the personification of the platonic Bully ideal, and that my crushing comeback victory humbles him, and gives him pause.

If I win, I mean. If I lose, then he's a newb troll hax cheater RNG bullshit /quit.

edited August 2014
    Things that feel good:

Surviving a Miracle Rogue's big attacks but leaving the Auctioneer alive for fatigue damage.

mrflippy on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Why not squelch?
    I mean... mostly because I'm a dummy who - in the heat of the moment - forgets that the option is there.
    That's easy enough to fix. Squelch every game, immediately.

Billmaan on
    this game is missing autosquelch and instant concede

and I would like a "really casual" mode where if you lose your ranking and cant participate in ranked play that season

that will separate out the tryhard munchkins

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Decided to ladder for a bit tonight, went with a combo-less ramp druid to complete some quests.

Went 5-2, one loss due to me reading 15 health as 13 and going for a lethal i didn't have, the other loss to a shaman which is kind of expected.

Was very surprised how well the deck did considering how much it has fallen off popularity wise.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Ah man shaman combos are a bit insane right now

Had already used resurrect to get thaddius and then he played Deathwing.
    Lots of stallag

Spawned Thaddiuses

Handkor on
  • MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    Snowglobe wrote: »
    Hey, I like to think of balance things sometimes, and I've been wondering: would silverback patriarch be playable if it also gave you a banana? Then it would essentially be a 2/5 taunt for 4, but also a little flexible.

this is such a great idea

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I don't plan on doing the naxx wings on heroic difficulty because they sound frustratingly difficult and the card back just isn't worth it. The icecrown card back has me all excited.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Deathrattle Zoo seems really good. I mean it's Zoo, so duh, but it's actually really fun to play. Here's my variant, which I can't imagine is very different from the others:

tdAeDOq.png?1

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    not sure if this is common knowledge, but kel'thuzad resummoning your minions clears any kind of effects on them. as an example, i had a silenced sludgebelcher out, my opponent proceeded to kill it, and it returned as a normal belcher.

also, is there a time limit on the naxx heroic card back? i want to go back and complete the couple of wings remaining, just haven't had time.

ZIqPP9i.jpg

I would be so salty if I were that priest. I was at 1 HP, managed to clear the board and stabilize, and took the priest from 25 to dead in a single turn (Drake/SI:7 swing for 7, Leeroy for 6, Shadowstep, Leeroy+Cold Blood for 10, SI:7 combo for 2)

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    not sure if this is common knowledge, but kel'thuzad resummoning your minions clears any kind of effects on them. as an example, i had a silenced sludgebelcher out, my opponent proceeded to kill it, and it returned as a normal belcher.

also, is there a time limit on the naxx heroic card back? i want to go back and complete the couple of wings remaining, just haven't had time.

Heroic Cardback shouldn't have any time limit, I'd think.

Yeah, KT has a lot of interesting subtleties to him. For example, if an Ancient of War dies and comes back, it'll just be a vanilla 5/5 (since the +5 health and taunt is a buff). But a Druid of the Claw in Taunt mode would return in Taunt mode, since that's a separate creature instead of a buff.

Something I really wanna try is using Force of Nature while KT's out. I'm assuming that would work and you'd just have three 2/2s that die each turn and come back.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Dibby wrote: »

Yeah, KT has a lot of interesting subtleties to him. For example, if an Ancient of War dies and comes back, it'll just be a vanilla 5/5 (since the +5 health and taunt is a buff). But a Druid of the Claw in Taunt mode would return in Taunt mode, since that's a separate creature instead of a buff.

Something I really wanna try is using Force of Nature while KT's out. I'm assuming that would work and you'd just have three 2/2s that die each turn and come back.

I guess it depends on what order they resolve in. If it's resummon, then die, they wouldn't come back.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Heroic KT defeated!

I had to go to the dark side
    and just do a stupid completely standard zoo deck :(

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    There is no dark side against those heroic decks. You do what you gotta do to beat 'em.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited August 2014
    Dibby wrote: »

I guess it depends on what order they resolve in. If it's resummon, then die, they wouldn't come back.

I just tried it out in an easy AI match, and Kel'Thuzad resummons them at the end of your turn, but then at the end of your opponent's next turn, the resummon triggers before the treant's death triggers, so they don't keep coming back.

Edit: And then I played a ranked game with my test deck because I forgot to switch. Still won though, so I must have been doing something right.

mrflippy on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

I've worked so hard to make the vareincarnation shaman work and I haven't found this card worth it. I realize it can't be cheaper because there's a possibility of it drawing infinite cards but the single card I usually get just feels weak instead of dropping a minion. I guess it's me or the style of my deck.

I don't mean not worth it... Idk. I think I want too much from it. I should prob add it if I can find something to cut.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

In case folks don't know this is also how reincarnate or ancestral spirit work

Which means that you can fix a silenced Belcher but also that if a druid or Hunter gives a unit two two and taunt you can reincarnate it to reset it. Not the ideal use, but I've used it once or twice to be able to push across lethal

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2014
    ah, man

getting out a spectral knight in the first three turns against a priest feels so unfair

815165 on
    edited August 2014
    has anyone here tried a ramp deck without wild growth? i've been getting basically no mileage out of the two i'm running now but i'm not entirely sure what i would replace them with

deck for anyone curious:
    w8lutU7.png

edit: not really done anything with cenarius either, might throw a rag in there instead but totally open to suggestions

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.