As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Never played battlelore before, bot sure I have even heard of it but that trailer makes it seem fun. The press release indicates it is only local wireless multiplayer. No mention of cross platform, but I certainly hope that is the case.

@jergarmar‌ wizkids had a blog entry back in June about product availability. Haven't seen anything since though

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Never played battlelore before, bot sure I have even heard of it but that trailer makes it seem fun. The press release indicates it is only local wireless multiplayer. No mention of cross platform, but I certainly hope that is the case.

@jergarmar‌ wizkids had a blog entry back in June about product availability. Haven't seen anything since though

Starters are coming back into stock at gaming stores all over the DFW area.

EDIT: My unspoken assumption here is that they are getting back in stock all over. Also, my LGS claims that the boosters might show up as early as this week.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yes! Just traded locally with another redditor and now have a 3rd printing of Alien Frontiers! Excited to try this one tonight with my wife and see how we like it.

In unrelated news, I think I'm going to do a BGG geeklist auction soon to pare down my collection since there are a lot of games that sadly don't get played.

In game questions, has anyone played Russian Railroads and have thoughts/opinions on it? Think I'll dive into it on BGG and see what it is.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular

In game questions, has anyone played Russian Railroads and have thoughts/opinions on it? Think I'll dive into it on BGG and see what it is.

Yes, Russian Railroads is a fantastic game. The mechanics are nothing really new, but they're implemented in such a sleek and streamlined way that is makes the game super smooth to play. That said, if you're looking for theme in your games, then this is not for you. Some people have described this game as being really mathy, but I think its not as bad as Power Grid in that way, maybe similar to Castles of Burgundy. We've only played it with two, and it works well with that number. I love this game, and it is tied with CoB for my second favorite game I've bought this year (Eclipse is my first).

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Wooo got myself all signed up for my first ever boardgaming convention.

Friday will be learning how to play 18xx games followed by a 4 hour game of 18xx. Saturday will be a King of Tokyo, Love Letter and Infinity tournament. Should be a super fun and silly day, I've never even played Infinity but they said new players welcomed and that they will give you an army. Sunday is an Ascension and Puerto Rico tournament. Probably going to get stomped in Puerto Rico as it has been ages. And then Monday I will be playing in my friends L5R pnp game.

Also I will do a bunch of shopping. I am super excited.

I also recently traded in a bunch of old videogame stuff for $300 in credit st my FLGs this week.

All the boardgames.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Finally breaking out Descent 2nd Edition at games night tonight months after buying it. The first quest in the campaign looks pretty simple, how long do the early 2 encounter quests tend to take?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Finally breaking out Descent 2nd Edition at games night tonight months after buying it. The first quest in the campaign looks pretty simple, how long do the early 2 encounter quests tend to take?

30 minutes for the first, 45 for the second?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Got Cosmic Encounter for my Birthday and hope to give it a spin 4 player this weekend. Swung by the BGG forums to look for obvious first time rules errors.

Some people have really oddly vehement opinions on the validity of a shared win.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Got Cosmic Encounter for my Birthday and hope to give it a spin 4 player this weekend. Swung by the BGG forums to look for obvious first time rules errors.

Some people have really oddly vehement opinions on the validity of a shared win.

Biggest mistake we made when starting out was forgetting that one successful encounter means you get to optionally take a second (this made games take way longer than necessary). Use the turn sequence guides at the bottom of the powers as a reference constantly when starting out.

If you have relatively experiences gamers, don't bother with only using green aliens and omitting flares. I wouldn't bother with tech, though as I don't think it makes the game interesting enough for the little bit of complexity it adds.

With the flares, don't forget that you only add the ones for the aliens in play as well as the aliens everyone didn't pick (so 2x the number of players). I've heard of groups using them all, which is madness.

Also, we didn't try to push people for or away from shared victories at first. Your group may end up having strong opinions one way or the other, but I wouldn't worry too much about it from the get go.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Swung by forums. Some people have really oddly vehement opinions.

There were a lot of unnecessary words in that post, Jam.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular

Negotiating a win is for dirty, no-good, communist slags.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Dark White wrote: »

Can't we all just get along?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    My wife and I played our first game of Alien Frontiers last night and enjoyed it. All of it is really well put together (board, box, bits) and the game play is pretty enjoyable with just two, but I feel like 3 or 4 will be better. I kind of blitzed her for the finish placing a couple colonies to remove her control and getting my final one down to end the game all in one turn.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We played our first round of King of Tokyo last night. We really liked it, although some of the cards took a few readings to really get, and there was one where you bank energy and gain it back each round that we actually avoided because the game hadn't really clicked yet. Probably if we play again though it would make more sense.

Overall though we found it really fun. My son ended up winning after killing my monster when I was two points away from victory. Perfect length of game too.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

I know you're being hyperbolic for comic effect, but some people seem to really feel like this, to the point where they will get angry at other players at the table for not feeling the same way and taking what the rules clearly state is a valid option.

I guess it just says something about some people's approaches to games that their victory must be defined by all other player's loss. Me, if the game says I win then why would I argue?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Well, if you're playing Dixit to win, I'd say you're taking Dixit far too seriously. :p
    It depends on the game before it depends on the player. Nobody in our group plays Galaxy Trucker to win either. Sure, the person with the most money is supposed to, but the enjoyment of watching everything go to hell tends to greatly outweigh the supposed satisfaction of coming in first.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I know you're being hyperbolic for comic effect, but some people seem to really feel like this, to the point where they will get angry at other players at the table for not feeling the same way and taking what the rules clearly state is a valid option.

I guess it just says something about some people's approaches to games that their victory mut be defined by all other player's loss. Me, if the game says I win then why would I argue?

I think that's because Cosmic Encounter rapidly stops being fun when everyone - 1 person races for a shared victory. That is what happened in my group. Everyone took the shared victory condition to be the most likely and easiest win condition. Every game went the same. Everyone helped everyone conquer the first 3 or 4 battles. Then whoever was tied for being closer to winning, often the majority of the table, just kept allying for an eventual shared win. Every single game played out that way, every time, regardless of the player powers in effect. It killed the game dead.

So I can understand why someone would very aggressively try to stop that in it's tracks by strongly discouraging any of that shared victory nonsense. Because given how Cosmic Encounter played out in my group, it really should be a victory condition of last resort.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, if you're playing Dixit to win, I'd say you're taking Dixit far too seriously. :p
    It depends on the game before it depends on the player. Nobody in our group plays Galaxy Trucker to win either. Sure, the person with the most money is supposed to, but the enjoyment of watching everything go to hell tends to greatly outweigh the supposed satisfaction of coming in first.

We played Zombie Fluxx a few nights ago (I know people hate it, but we still enjoy a round every once and awhile). It went about 20 minutes with tons of close calls to winning, plenty of screwing over other players and was just getting to the point where it felt it would never end. My son (9 years old) plays a card that makes everybody lose with a huge shit eating grin on his face. The end. My niece and wife are super competitive and were soooo pissed off. I thought it was hysterical.

edited August 2014
    Exactly. Fluxx is a game people care about winning, but if they understood how little of the game is actually in their control, they should understand that they shouldn't care about winning it.
    Fluxx does have the upshot of occasionally being hilarious though, yes. :D (Great play by your son)

ArcticLancer on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Namrok wrote: »

I guess it just says something about some people's approaches to games that their victory mut be defined by all other player's loss. Me, if the game says I win then why would I argue?

I think that's because Cosmic Encounter rapidly stops being fun when everyone - 1 person races for a shared victory. That is what happened in my group. Everyone took the shared victory condition to be the most likely and easiest win condition. Every game went the same. Everyone helped everyone conquer the first 3 or 4 battles. Then whoever was tied for being closer to winning, often the majority of the table, just kept allying for an eventual shared win. Every single game played out that way, every time, regardless of the player powers in effect. It killed the game dead.

So I can understand why someone would very aggressively try to stop that in it's tracks by strongly discouraging any of that shared victory nonsense. Because given how Cosmic Encounter played out in my group, it really should be a victory condition of last resort.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the concept of shared victory in political/negotiation games, but there needs to be a metagame understanding - or a rules limitation - that makes shared victory less ideal than individual glory. It keeps the competition up.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Yeah I'm a big fan of the concept of shared victory in political/negotiation games, but there needs to be a metagame understanding - or a rules limitation - that makes shared victory less ideal than individual glory. It keeps the competition up.

A shared victory by more than two players is more of a concession to ending the game than anything else.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social

There was a massive, drama-filled thread in the Dead of Winter forum on BGG about this before it launched. Some board gamers seem to take the notion of "winning more" than others really seriously.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I forget who it was, but someone here shit all over Rex hard enough to discourage me from getting it. But I do really want to play it, because it has a far more formalized approach to alliances that (in theory) turns them into just as much a liability as an asset. I fucking love that idea. It reminds me of how actual alliances worked.

Think of World War 1 where once the alliances were formed over the first year or two of the war, most of the nations were forbidden from making a separate peace. Then Austria kept being a gigantic fuckup, which forced Germany to bail them out. Every time an offensive failed for anyone, someone else was pressured into launching a new assault to take pressure off.

It's how I wish alliances worked in games. But they come and go too easily, and always end in betrayal. Hell, the only point to ally in a game is for the eventual betrayal 90% of the time. I want them to be more like a dysfunctional marriage.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's partially why I'm looking forward to Fief. You can form alliances officially through marriage, but it ups the requirement to win, making it harder for the team compared to the individual, and you can part it officially in two ways, but they don't make it sound easy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man I wish fief would come out already, speaking of dysfunctional marriages and alliances.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fief sounds super awesome.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to getting Fief to the table with my board game group.

I'm sure the husband/wife combination of Lawyer/Psychologist is going to destroy me, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man I wish fief would come out already, speaking of dysfunctional marriages and alliances.

is there a longer title or a subtitle for this? Quick google search showed 3 different versions, but all already released.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

is there a longer title or a subtitle for this? Quick google search showed 3 different versions, but all already released.
    It's the same game. It just got kickstartered for release in English with some of the expansions.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

It's the same game. It just got kickstartered for release in English with some of the expansions.

Also a slight re-working of the rules/cards to update them for modern sensibilities, as far as I'm aware.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Fief: France 1429 is the full title. It's an old game that's been remade a few times but most recently through Kickstarter into english as well as many other languages and with a very large redesign for better play and better understanding of the rules.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I forget who it was, but someone here shit all over Rex hard enough to discourage me from getting it. But I do really want to play it, because it has a far more formalized approach to alliances that (in theory) turns them into just as much a liability as an asset. I fucking love that idea. It reminds me of how actual alliances worked.

Think of World War 1 where once the alliances were formed over the first year or two of the war, most of the nations were forbidden from making a separate peace. Then Austria kept being a gigantic fuckup, which forced Germany to bail them out. Every time an offensive failed for anyone, someone else was pressured into launching a new assault to take pressure off.

It's how I wish alliances worked in games. But they come and go too easily, and always end in betrayal. Hell, the only point to ally in a game is for the eventual betrayal 90% of the time. I want them to be more like a dysfunctional marriage.

It was probably me. I hate that game and the way alliances work with quite a lot of passion.

Here is the liability of alliances in REX: if you play the full version with betrayal objectives you are guaranteed that your alliance members are working against you and if you didn't get a high ranking betrayal objective then why even bother because they are likely to trump you. Why play for 3 hours to get a win when it will only be turned into a loss because of a random card assigned at the start. So paranoid do you become that you make slightly sub-optimal plays that only increase the difficulty of getting a win that likely won't count for anything anyway. And then even if you do have a good guess about how you will be betrayed or even see a more optimal alliance composition to get a win some asshole is going to play a card that prevents you from altering the alliance even though it guarantees he'll lose too and it turns into the worst case of king-making because there is fuck all you can do about it and aren't you glad you wasted a whole fucking evening on that shit.

If you're going to play a strategy games, alliances should be something that happened fluidly because of a mutual interest and not because phase 2 of turn 2 you decided to trade some cards that are more likely than not to wrap a chain around your neck and dump you in a lake and there's no backsies because the whole process is formalized.

Rex really, really pisses me off.

Not to steal your thunder, but I'm 99% sure it would have been Mr_Body. His dissatisfaction with Rex was unparalleled.

A lot of people here really dislike Rex, myself included.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Ascension is out for android, ya'll.

Whelp placed an order for ASL starter kit 1.

It was nice once knowing what the sun looked like.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Some people here think Rex is pretty rad, like me.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've only played Rex once and quite enjoyed it. Endless space turtles and all that jazz.

Alliances raising the victory requirements is a nice feature. I do dimly remember something about a prisoner's dilemma thing at the end which sort of invalidates the game, but I don't recall the specifics.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Played the first Descent 2nd Ed. quest last night. Everyone's first comment was awwwww look it's so tiny! Super neat game though, even if as the overlord I did forget the rule that surge conditions only trigger on a successful attack. My giant smashy ettin spent the whole game stunned but it played really fast and everyone enjoyed it.

Probably start running the campaign with a quest a week, seems way more involved when you get the XP and gold stuff involved.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal