As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've only played Rex once and quite enjoyed it. Endless space turtles and all that jazz.

Alliances raising the victory requirements is a nice feature. I do dimly remember something about a prisoner's dilemma thing at the end which sort of invalidates the game, but I don't recall the specifics.

The game we played saw French Girl and Kalkino on the winning team, and French Girl enthusiastically stabbing Kalkino in the back as soon as the option was offered.

You basically have a card given to you at the beginning of the game with a number and a victory requirement on it. If you pass the requirement you can play this card to try and grab an alliance victory for yourself. Other members of the alliance can play their card if they've passed their victory requirement, and the highest number wins.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So, my LGS has a couple of copies of Betrayal at the House on the Hill left. Worth buying?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    French Girl will stab anybody in the back at any moment though. Even if it doesn't mean victory.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I think the key to enjoying Rex is understanding that it was done by the same guys who did Cosmic Encounter. It's not a deep strategy game. It's a fun little game full of surprises, twists and mind games. I think if you approach it like that, you'll have a great time.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I want to play just to see the zany victory one-up-manship.

"We win!"

"Actually, sorry, but I win because of my alliance card."

"Well if you're going to be like that, here's my alliance card and it's higher than yours."

"ABUHBUHBUH. I predicted you would win the whole time and was working to ensure it. Which means I win."

Then I envision some sort of comical Benny Hill chase scene.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I bought REX a few months ago, but haven't managed to get it to the table yet.

Not for lack of willingness, though. Reading the rules makes it sound like someone decided to build a game that tickled every one of my pleasure centres, and put it on the table just for me. It's possible when I actually get to sitting down with a group of friends and attempting to all politically and militarily betray one another it won't actually live up to my hopes, but it is possibly the most excited I've ever been after reading a rulebook but before I've actually played the game. I'm fully aware of all the possibilities for let down, but I am hopeful.

I've been sitting on it for a few months to put it on the table in the right circumstances with the right players, but since getting it the stars haven't quite aligned. There's certainly some players I wouldn't put it down in front of, but for those whose tastes are similar to my own... I find the possibilities very intriguing indeed.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So, my LGS has a couple of copies of Betrayal at the House on the Hill left. Worth buying?

Sure. It is quite fun and can lead to some very enjoyable stories to tell. But you have to see it as a dumb B-movie style horror game, and not be too competitive, because most of the time the senarios are so lopsided that it is near impossible to win depending on who gets to be the Betrayer.

Another big thing is the need for the betrayer to go and read special rules alone in a seperate room. This is at the same time the best and the worst part of the game, because it is pretty awesome, but requires that everyone is capable of reading and understanding rules that can somethimes be a little finicky.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So there's a review of Tragedy Looper up on bgg and man I want to try that game bad. So so bad.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1222169/tragedy-looper-99-spoiler-free-review

Also I tried out Jaipur with my fiancee last night and it was an instant smash hit. Seems likely to topple star realms, ascension, and lost cities as our go to quick game fix.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    PincheGamesPincheGames Owner/Tabletop Game Developer San Antonio, TXRegistered User new member
    It is a great thing to have PAX here in San Antonio. We can't wait to get over there and run our games with tons of people that have never seen it. We may even try to debut a game that we have on Kickstarter right now.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I got my Coup Reformation this morning. Boy, there's a lot of cards. I mean, a LOT of cards. They may have messed up and dumped twice as many cards in the box, since I appear to have doubles of everything (I think). I don't think it's supposed to have 70 cards.

I really like the new Alliance and Inquisitor rules. They are easy to implement/remember. I also REALLY like the character art.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Yeah, between all the extra cards with the original kickstarter, and the extra cards with the expansion kickstarter, I think I have like 5 full sets of Coup.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Guess who got 15 packs of Shadowfist cards today?

It was me!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Yeah, between all the extra cards with the original kickstarter, and the extra cards with the expansion kickstarter, I think I have like 5 full sets of Coup.

Yep, most are alternate atwork but indeed, you do get multiple copies to play with. I sleeved all of them because I have young kids (8 and 10) and I sleeves everything because I want to keep the game for a while but considering all of these extra, I could have probably skipped sleeving them but I happen to have some extra sleeves from my 7 wonders game that fit perfectly with Coup.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Not to steal your thunder, but I'm 99% sure it would have been Mr_Body. His dissatisfaction with Rex was unparalleled.

My thunder may be stolen but I feel very gratified that people of quality agree with me.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    We played our first round of King of Tokyo last night. We really liked it, although some of the cards took a few readings to really get, and there was one where you bank energy and gain it back each round that we actually avoided because the game hadn't really clicked yet. Probably if we play again though it would make more sense.

Overall though we found it really fun. My son ended up winning after killing my monster when I was two points away from victory. Perfect length of game too.

Wings. Always buy them. Jetpack is pretty sweet too. Parasitic tentacles is pretty fun, especially if you have the one that lets you buy cards at 1 less, since it allows you to buy everyone's cards for cheap. It's funny.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    We played our first round of King of Tokyo last night. We really liked it, although some of the cards took a few readings to really get, and there was one where you bank energy and gain it back each round that we actually avoided because the game hadn't really clicked yet. Probably if we play again though it would make more sense.

Overall though we found it really fun. My son ended up winning after killing my monster when I was two points away from victory. Perfect length of game too.

Wings. Always buy them. Jetpack is pretty sweet too. Parasitic tentacles is pretty fun, especially if you have the one that lets you buy cards at 1 less, since it allows you to buy everyone's cards for cheap. It's funny.

My group bans Wings and Jetpack from games. Both cards are way out of balance. Even if Wings cost 12, it would probably be too strong.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Got to play a few more rounds of Arctic Scavengers last night. It just really doesn't do it for me. I find it to be a clumsy, unbalanced skin of Dominion.

The tribal leaders do not seem to be balanced at all. The butcher was chosen in each game and whoever had it won each game. The ability to purchase characters like the Engineer and Scout on turn 1 and 2 allow that player to just snowball the game immediately.

By the fifth or sixth turn the junkyard has gotten so bogged down with trashed cards and most of the good stuff has been sifted out to the point where its very unattractive to dig. Each turn becomes a simple, binary decision of "Do I think I have a decent chance of winning the Skirmish? If yes, keep all five cards, if no, hunt for the best card I can afford"

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I've not played Arctic Scavngers with the tribal leaders but I enjoy it with 3 people. When you move up to 4 or more I think it just takes a bit too long.

We did a 5 player game with 1 new player and it ended up at nearly 2 hours. Some of that was due to some AP issues but still way longer than I would want to play for.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    Got to play a few more rounds of Arctic Scavengers last night. It just really doesn't do it for me. I find it to be a clumsy, unbalanced skin of Dominion.

The tribal leaders do not seem to be balanced at all. The butcher was chosen in each game and whoever had it won each game. The ability to purchase characters like the Engineer and Scout on turn 1 and 2 allow that player to just snowball the game immediately.

By the fifth or sixth turn the junkyard has gotten so bogged down with trashed cards and most of the good stuff has been sifted out to the point where its very unattractive to dig. Each turn becomes a simple, binary decision of "Do I think I have a decent chance of winning the Skirmish? If yes, keep all five cards, if no, hunt for the best card I can afford"

I've never seen the Butcher win, actually. You sacrifice a ton of points. And I've won several games because I ignored the Skirmish the last couple of rounds and did nothing but dig.

However, if you remove the leaders (which are meant to be added once you know the game, as they are an expansion), I'm not sure how the game could be unbalanced--everyone has access to the same cards.

That said, I understand how people might not like it, and I don't begrudge you that. The thing is, the game is the Poker of deck builders, it's all about gambling and risk, which sometimes don't pay off.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Arctic Scavengers really didn't do well for us either. The decisions in the game just don't feel very meaningful. Though the thing that killed it (like I said previously) is the horrid manual. We played through half a game before we realized that you could only do one action per round. The game also has very little combo-ing, which was supposedly the intention of the designer, and results in few "a-ha!" moments. I'm going to try playing this a couple more times before passing final judgement, but my first couple games weren't super great.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So this is funny. I've played Ingenious probably close to 100 times. It was one of the first board games I purchased. I was teaching it to someone again last night, and took a look at the rules for the first time in forever.

I noticed a new rule. WTF?! How can there be a rule I didn't notice before? It's the rule where for the first round only, everyone must play to a different corner of the board. Thankfully not a big deal. But I definitely had one of those "MY ENTIRE LIFE IS A LIE!" moments.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

I've never seen the Butcher win, actually. You sacrifice a ton of points. And I've won several games because I ignored the Skirmish the last couple of rounds and did nothing but dig.

However, if you remove the leaders (which are meant to be added once you know the game, as they are an expansion), I'm not sure how the game could be unbalanced--everyone has access to the same cards.

That said, I understand how people might not like it, and I don't begrudge you that. The thing is, the game is the Poker of deck builders, it's all about gambling and risk, which sometimes don't pay off.

The butcher in my games only came into play in the first several turns killing Refugees which would have just been trashed anyway.

The problems I have with balance beyond the leaders though, is the availability and acquisition of Medkits. If you're not fortunate enough to fish a couple medkits out of the junkyard early, you're kind of shit out of luck for acquiring mercenaries to actually make your deck competitive.

A pick up of Field Crew on early skirmishes carries way too much weight throughout the rest of the game. Likewise, an early 3-man Tribal Family on the first skirmish or two can really mess up your game assuming you committed resources to winning that skirmish.

I can appreciate an element of risk-taking. But with this, you're gambling on a mystery prize compounding the luck element.

• Options
    So this is funny. I've played Ingenious probably close to 100 times. It was one of the first board games I purchased. I was teaching it to someone again last night, and took a look at the rules for the first time in forever.

I noticed a new rule. WTF?! How can there be a rule I didn't notice before? It's the rule where for the first round only, everyone must play to a different corner of the board. Thankfully not a big deal. But I definitely had one of those "MY ENTIRE LIFE IS A LIE!" moments.

Everytime I play Kemet.

Seriously, maybe 10 or 12 plays at this point and I manage to find something that was done wrong after each game.

• Options

Everytime I play Kemet.

Seriously, maybe 10 or 12 plays at this point and I manage to find something that was done wrong after each game.

I'm amazed it still works, despite the English translation clearly being some sort of sly French joke at the expense of Anglophones.

How long did it take you to figure out the double-action gold upgrade? Our first playthrough we couldn't figure out why it was meant to be better than the silver upgrades unless you wanted to recruit and move twice in one turn. Then we finally realised it was meant to be a whole extra tier to the action-pyramid and wow, that was different.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Everytime I play Kemet.

I'm amazed it still works, despite the English translation clearly being some sort of sly French joke at the expense of Anglophones.

How long did it take you to figure out the double-action gold upgrade? Our first playthrough we couldn't figure out why it was meant to be better than the silver upgrades unless you wanted to recruit and move twice in one turn. Then we finally realised it was meant to be a whole extra tier to the action-pyramid and wow, that was different.

Maybe I'm still not understanding this- it's just an additional chance to move or recruit and that's really good because you normally can have only 2 move actions, right?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    My friend taught in Coup that anyone could block a steal or assassination the first time we played, which wasn't a problem really with 2-3 players. Reading the rules again when we had 6 players made that change the game completely.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I've played that damn gold action four different ways... I think I have it right now.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    Yeah, Arctic Scavengers really didn't do well for us either. The decisions in the game just don't feel very meaningful. Though the thing that killed it (like I said previously) is the horrid manual. We played through half a game before we realized that you could only do one action per round. The game also has very little combo-ing, which was supposedly the intention of the designer, and results in few "a-ha!" moments. I'm going to try playing this a couple more times before passing final judgement, but my first couple games weren't super great.

The manual is indeed absolutely awful. But you were playing correctly originally -- you can do multiple actions per round (send some cards to Dig and others to Hunt/Recruit, for instance). Rio Grande Games actually has this on their main Arctic Scavengers page, just because it's such an egregious rules error:
    Please note: Kyle has discovered an error he made in the rules. Under Key Concepts on page 6, the first point should read: A player may take multiple actions in a round. We apologize for any confusion this may cause. The downloadable rules are correct.

If you restrict yourself to a single action per round, I'd think the game would be over before you could really make a meaningful deck.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Everytime I play Kemet.

We played Galaxy Trucker with the "rule" that you had to have one hand behind your back when building your ship. I blame Shut Up & Sit Down for that.

Took us a few months before we realized it wasn't a rule.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »

Everytime I play Kemet.

We played Galaxy Trucker with the "rule" that you had to have one hand behind your back when building your ship. I blame Shut Up & Sit Down for that.

That's not an actual rule, haha? Definitely been sitting on a hand for years now.

Their most recent video with Archipelago has firmly taught me to not trust their rules interpretations of games. They did almost everything wrong in that.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    You can only build with one hand, but you don't have to sit on the other one or put it behind your back :)

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Everytime I play Kemet.

That's not an actual rule, haha? Definitely been sitting on a hand for years now.

Their most recent video with Archipelago has firmly taught me to not trust their rules interpretations of games. They did almost everything wrong in that.

I mean... it's not, but I'm 99% sure there's a rule that you can only use one hand.

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

The manual is indeed absolutely awful. But you were playing correctly originally -- you can do multiple actions per round (send some cards to Dig and others to Hunt/Recruit, for instance). Rio Grande Games actually has this on their main Arctic Scavengers page, just because it's such an egregious rules error:
    Please note: Kyle has discovered an error he made in the rules. Under Key Concepts on page 6, the first point should read: A player may take multiple actions in a round. We apologize for any confusion this may cause. The downloadable rules are correct.

If you restrict yourself to a single action per round, I'd think the game would be over before you could really make a meaningful deck.

Wow, yeah, might have to give the game another shot then. Thats a big mistake!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm a big fan of the hand-sitting rule in Galaxy Trucker. It's really easy to shoot that second hand in without thinking.
    Lykouragh wrote: »

Everytime I play Kemet.

Maybe I'm still not understanding this- it's just an additional chance to move or recruit and that's really good because you normally can have only 2 move actions, right?

I think I explained that badly.

Our initial reading of the rulebook, with some misgivings as it seemed to make the gold tile 100% worse than the silver tiles, was that it was simply an extra action token that you had to place in the 3rd tier of the pyramid - but you still had to obey the rule that you couldn't double-place. This is obviously worse than a silver action token, which can still not break that rule but at least it can go anywhere on the pyramid you want it to go.

In fact (according to various bgg threads and links I found) the gold tile creates a whole new imaginary 4th tier for itself which is basically a copy of the 3rd (or simply breaks the rules if you want to think of it that way): it can be a second recruit or a second 3rd tier move action (in other words, 2 recruits or 3 moves max in a turn) - which the silver tokens definitely can't do. The rulebook really wasn't clear on that IMO, so we had to confirm when we started wondering what the hell was the whole point of buying the gold token.

Reading around bgg it's clear we weren't the only ones.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

My group bans Wings and Jetpack from games. Both cards are way out of balance. Even if Wings cost 12, it would probably be too strong.

Wait, no Jetpack is the one to always get. Wings is good, but because of the energy cost not nearly as.

I feel like both cards are fine, given the randomness of the game anyway, plus you can mitigate against in various ways. Often times the guys with wings get dogpiled. Or you can reset the cards if you know it is up, but you cant buy it before someone else.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know it's going to be a crapshoot depending on your store - but I found 7 Wonders on clearance at Target tonight for $15 and grabbed it.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I know it's going to be a crapshoot depending on your store - but I found 7 Wonders on clearance at Target tonight for $15 and grabbed it.

That is the correct move!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That's nearly $2 per wonder!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Went to Board Game night at the new-to-me FLGS, finally, after weeks of having to work Saturdays.

Got to try String Railway, which was a neat little game, and play some Takenoko and get just crushed by the tile placement of the other players.

Then BattleCON came out and I got to teach some people that. I'm getting good at Lesandra, I think, so I may have to pick someone new to play against people learning the game. Suggestions, from the other BattleCONians?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    String Railway is amazing in how simple and silly it appears, and yet how incredibly cutthroat and strategic it actually is.