As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I like the concept of Dead of Winter, but I'm really zombied out at this point.

I think I'll wait for the next implementation of that system. Hopefully it'll be on a decrepit old space station or something.

It is, the next game in the series is called Lost In Space.
    Perfect.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'll probably hit 10x10 without particularly trying, due to standby filler games and family favorites. So far:

Augustus 22
    No Thanks! 18
    Bang! The Dice Game 11
    Rampage 10
    Click Clack Lumberjack 9
    Yikerz! 9
    Clubs 8
    Glass Road 8
    Montage 7
    Tokaido 7

Getting the rest of those to 10 is very feasible.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Antone ever try Going, Going, Gone? I know SUSD recommended it, but beyond that I don't recall seeing much mention elsewhere.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I think I'll wait for the next implementation of that system. Hopefully it'll be on a decrepit old space station or something.

Perfect.

You sure?

1178359-sci_lis_harris_bust.jpg

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

Ooooooooooh shit. That just made my day.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hmm, so Dead of Winter is part of some kind of series of Coop games. This actually makes me less eager to pick up Dead of Winter. I'd rather hang on and pick up the inevitable more refined games down the line as the designers learn what works and what doesn't.

Or at least, let them happen and then see which is the best regarded.

It REALLY doesn't come across as a co-op game. You have to work together to survive, true, but everyone has a secret goal which determines who actually wins and sometimes that goal is to screw over everyone else in the game.

Hmm. That's disappointing, or at least not what I wanted.

Another reason not to just snap and buy it though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Antone ever try Going, Going, Gone? I know SUSD recommended it, but beyond that I don't recall seeing much mention elsewhere.

I picked it up and we've had a blast with it. Only gotten a couple plays, but everybody has a really good time.

It's quick and simple, but has a nice rhythm with moments of cold calculation while you prepare for the round, and then crazy bidding when the counting starts.

It's not deep or anything, but it's a good time.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Gonna have a chance to play Dead of Winter at games night tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Also totally mistook Lords of Xidit for a Seasons big box expansion today because of the cover and got all excited. But then I realised it's just in the same universe but remained excited because it looks really neat.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    I'll probably hit 10x10 without particularly trying, due to standby filler games and family favorites. So far:

Augustus 22
    No Thanks! 18
    Bang! The Dice Game 11
    Rampage 10
    Click Clack Lumberjack 9
    Yikerz! 9
    Clubs 8
    Glass Road 8
    Montage 7
    Tokaido 7

Getting the rest of those to 10 is very feasible.

Yeah, I got Augustus checked off my 10x10 too. Wondering what to prioritize for my game night tomorrow. I don't want my list to turn into nothing but filler. Especially since I started out so ambitiously with a lot of war games. Race for the Galaxy, Terra Mystica and Takenoko are all within finishing distance. Maybe I'll try to get those in more so my 10x10 has a little meat too it. I could probably also solo D-Day at Omaha Beach more.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hmm, so Dead of Winter is part of some kind of series of Coop games. This actually makes me less eager to pick up Dead of Winter. I'd rather hang on and pick up the inevitable more refined games down the line as the designers learn what works and what doesn't.

It REALLY doesn't come across as a co-op game. You have to work together to survive, true, but everyone has a secret goal which determines who actually wins and sometimes that goal is to screw over everyone else in the game.

I may have to order this; sounds right up my group's alley. Pretty sure I saw someone with it at the store the other day, will see if I can sneak into a game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Hmm. That's disappointing, or at least not what I wanted.

Another reason not to just snap and buy it though.

There is a full co-op mode; you flip the Scenario card over to the Brutal side and remove the Secret Goal cards.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

It looks pretty fun, but it also doesn't look worth the $50 or whatever the insane list price is. It should be about $20, I would have picked it up already.

sig.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Whatever happen to that game that was suppose to be made by the same people who did Risk Legacy? I dont think it was suppose to be another remake but i was hoping for some information about it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just got my advanced squad leader starter kit in the mail, this seems infinitely more manageable than Saints in Armor.

I am hoping this allows me and my brother to play wargames against one another still, now that he doesn't have the time/money to build and paint model miniatures.

Legacy Games:

The two new legacy games coming out that I know of are Pandemic Legacy and Seafall, Seafall being a 4X game set in the age of sail.

• Options
    You know, just recently my girlfriend mentioned she missed Pandemic. Apparently she really liked it, but I got rid of it when I got Defenders of the Realm... which I then got rid of in favor of other cooperative games. She mentioned wanting to play it again if I ever bought another copy. But I think I might wait for Pandemic Legacy. Because how awesome is that going to be?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Pandemic Legacy?

Seafall is probably what he's thinking of, it's much closer to release.

sig.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Just got my advanced squad leader starter kit in the mail, this seems infinitely more manageable than Saints in Armor.

I am hoping this allows me and my brother to play wargames against one another still, now that he doesn't have the time/money to build and paint model miniatures.

The ASL Starter Kits are very elegant and easy-to-learn designs. They are also a mere shadow of the full ASL experience.

I cannot in good faith recommend ASL to anyone. It's just way too dense and high-investment for a single game. But if you do have the time for it, it's an amazing and unique experience in wargaming.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'm working on a puzzle for a little convention in my area. What I'm thinking of running is a collection of anagrams of board game names. Right now I'm trying to figure out where the line is between "too easy" and "too hard." If you are interested, maybe you could give some of these a shot and provide some feedback as to difficulty?
    1. Her veal
    2. Drug narc
    3. Arcane tag
    4. Invader's son
    5. Hip belt totem
    6. Argyle torpedo
    7. Chateau nations
    8. Cows owe fanfares
    9. Gig: reattaching hem
    10. Torment Japan hatchet

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options

The ASL Starter Kits are very elegant and easy-to-learn designs. They are also a mere shadow of the full ASL experience.

I cannot in good faith recommend ASL to anyone. It's just way too dense and high-investment for a single game. But if you do have the time for it, it's an amazing and unique experience in wargaming.

Yeah I know that the starter kit is barely scratching the surface. Hell, there are like four or five starter kits alone! It's crazy.

And I know ASL is a beast but that is kind of the appeal for me. I could potentially play only ASL modules until the end of time. I know it is an insane system but it also means that my brother and I can just learn that system instead of many systems for many wargames. In that way, if we end up enjoying it, I can see ASL being a potentially reasonable substitute for something like Warmachine where that is the ONE wargame that you play. Instead of substituting several different games with several different rulesets for Warmachine.

So yeah, it will be a huge investment but one that can potentially pay large dividends.

• Options

Yeah I know that the starter kit is barely scratching the surface. Hell, there are like four or five starter kits alone! It's crazy.

And I know ASL is a beast but that is kind of the appeal for me. I could potentially play only ASL modules until the end of time. I know it is an insane system but it also means that my brother and I can just learn that system instead of many systems for many wargames. In that way, if we end up enjoying it, I can see ASL being a potentially reasonable substitute for something like Warmachine where that is the ONE wargame that you play. Instead of substituting several different games with several different rulesets for Warmachine.

So yeah, it will be a huge investment but one that can potentially pay large dividends.

The worst downside to a system like that is when you lose your partner. You're so far down that road, you'll never bring anybody else up to speed with you. There seems to be a large ASL community though, so you might not be completely shit out of luck.

I lost one of my best wargaming partners to his ever worsening AP.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know, just recently my girlfriend mentioned she missed Pandemic. Apparently she really liked it, but I got rid of it when I got Defenders of the Realm... which I then got rid of in favor of other cooperative games. She mentioned wanting to play it again if I ever bought another copy. But I think I might wait for Pandemic Legacy. Because how awesome is that going to be?
    Get pandemic now and then get pandemic legacy whenever that actually happens. Also the dice game. Probably get the expansions too while your at it.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »

The worst downside to a system like that is when you lose your partner. You're so far down that road, you'll never bring anybody else up to speed with you. There seems to be a large ASL community though, so you might not be completely shit out of luck.

I lost one of my best wargaming partners to his ever worsening AP.

Ah man that sucks, losing your gaming buddies is always the worst. Hopefully my brother will stick around for a while though, and I may be able to rope a few other friends into it, and I am sure I have a local scene.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I don't think it came up in the thread, but Asmodee has acquired Days of Wonder.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    yeah it was seafall thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I don't think it came up in the thread, but Asmodee has acquired Days of Wonder.

Wow, really? That's suprising. Ticket to Ride is so ubiquitous ... It's sold in Targets and Walmarts. I don't think I'd be a board gamer if it wasn't for the existence of it and Small World.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    I was shocked by that news as well. Hard to tell what the motivations are. Could just be the guys running Days of Wonder wanted to move on. They are being phased out of running the company. It could be that the companies wanted to leverage each others respective native markets.

• Options
    Rahdo did a run through of a prototype copy of aquasphere today and man it pretty much sold me on the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZ1RN-c4BY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLvVkKQbevs

I wish he had done one while the Kickstarter was still going, I would have backed it.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I wish he had done one while the Kickstarter was still going, I would have backed it.

I was on the fence for a bit, but reading the rules and my general (but not unwavering) appreciation for Feld's work sold me on it. As a bonus, I'm also getting Rialto out of the deal.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I was at the FLGS thinking to myself that maybe I should head to the front desk to reserve a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill, what with the limited print runs and massive demand and BAM! I nearly trip over 7 copies of the damn thing.

So now I own Betrayal at House on the Hill...

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I was at the FLGS thinking to myself that maybe I should head to the front desk to reserve a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill, what with the limited print runs and massive demand and BAM! I nearly trip over 7 copies of the damn thing.

So now I own Betrayal at House on the Hill...

I forget, where are you located again? Are you a fellow Ohioan?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Nein, I'm from WA.

Western Australia. Sorry to disappoint. Are you desperate for a copy?

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Nein, I'm from WA.

Western Australia. Sorry to disappoint. Are you desperate for a copy?

Oh deary no, I have my first edition copy :) I think I was confusing you with others from the COD thread that live there. Was hoping to meet more people locally that like to play games regularly!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, ever since I quit CoD I've missed those loveable rascals.

But now I'm playing boardgames instead and therefore seeing my local friends more so yay!

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yeah, ever since I quit CoD I've missed those loveable rascals.

But now I'm playing boardgames instead and therefore seeing my local friends more so yay!

It's OK, we all miss CoD sometimes. I haven't played since....MW3? But more so now I'm finding board games more interesting than most video games (generally) so I've been putting more time into those (and having a kid makes for scarce time for online vidya).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Got to go to the Walmart a town over (it's a super sized one, unlike my town's smaller one) and they had Ultra Pro deck boxes. I've decided that's probably the best solution I can find for card game storage and now I just need to find a box I can store them in together. They might fit in one of those long cardboard card boxes, but I haven't dug out my old magic collection yet to find out.

So pictured here is UNO (Princess edition), Phase 10, Fruit Ninja, Dutch Blitz, Bang! The Dice Game, and Bohnanza. OZ8BJqw.jpg

These boxes were just under $2 each. They also had a dual deck box for $5 that I might be able to use for Paint the Line: Red Tide. Bohnanza was a tight fit, at 161 cards. Depending on if they fit in the cardboard box and how many decks I can fit, I'd like to get Love Letter and Hanabi boxed, and another copy of Dutch Blitz if I can ever find where it went. For Sale would probably benefit from boxing as well.

Basically, any games that have cards in a lift off box where they spill all over if shifted sideways and given any wiggle room I'd like to box. The others were in ratty boxes my children have been destroying.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    New SU&SD podcast. Gushing over Abyss. Think I might be preordering now.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    New SU&SD podcast. Gushing over Abyss. Think I might be preordering now.

I've got mixed feelings about Abyss now. "Just a card game" might be a flimsy criticism. "Pasted-on theme" might be unimportant if the game's as good as people are suggesting. And I still really want the game - it looks well made and fun. I'm just worried that after one or two games we'll be like "ok, cool, I get this game, let's play something else now". And I'm getting very wary of paying ~$100 for that experience again.

But it's so goshdarn beautiful.

But but Bruno Cathala's other upcoming game, Five Tribes, looks excellent and people who touch it are claiming game of the year already.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    my fiancee has been into playing games with me for a while now, but the last week or so she really caught the bug and has been watching tons of rahdo videos and seeking out stuff and registering at BGG etc. she texted me at work yesterday to tell me about how awesome keyflower looked. im pretty pleased with this development.

also i really want to try Abyss but the gameplay stuff i watched out of Gencon didn't put it into the buy immediately column. also im curious how it would play with 2.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    my fiancee has been into playing games with me for a while now, but the last week or so she really caught the bug and has been watching tons of rahdo videos and seeking out stuff and registering at BGG etc. she texted me at work yesterday to tell me about how awesome keyflower looked. im pretty pleased with this development.

also i really want to try Abyss but the gameplay stuff i watched out of Gencon didn't put it into the buy immediately column. also im curious how it would play with 2.

Keyflower IS pretty awesome!

(But be careful when playing just 2. It can be brutal if one player wins all the important auctions)

3DS - 2878-9572-9277