As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good 2-player co-OP game for me and my wife?

Castle Panic
    Samurai Spirit (haven't played, but after seeing it I really want it)
    Defenders of the Realm
    Break the Safe (look in thrift stores)
    Flash Point: Fire Rescue

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Lord of the Rings LCG
    Pretty easily the best 2-player co-op game on the market. It'll suck you in even if you don't give a fig for Tolkien.

Onirim also springs to mind as a lighter option, but I heard it was getting hard to find. Edit: Though it seems to be in stock everywhere. Looks like it finally got a reprint!

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a lot of fun, and goes pretty fast.
    Gears of War

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I have Doomtown: Reloaded and the first Saddlebag in a shopping cart and I need to know whether this game will be worth it. I just read the Shut Up and Sit Down preview and almost instantly had it queued up at an online store.

Is it playable with more than 2 people? How complex is it? How large a component is the deck building?

EDIT: I think I may just have to buy before the Shut Up and Sit Down effect makes it impossible to find.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That review or whatever you want to call it was amazing. And now I want Doomtown.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I have Doomtown: Reloaded and the first Saddlebag in a shopping cart and I need to know whether this game will be worth it. I just read the Shut Up and Sit Down preview and almost instantly had it queued up at an online store.

Is it playable with more than 2 people? How complex is it? How large a component is the deck building?

EDIT: I think I may just have to buy before the Shut Up and Sit Down effect makes it impossible to find.

My comment underneath the SUSD article contains my thoughts on Doomtown (same username), but to answer your questions specifically:

- Yes, it plays more than two. But it's more chaotic and less strategic. Definitely one of those that's really a two player game that sort of supports more
    - It's more complex than Netrunner in some ways. Less mathy, but the board state is a lot more fluid. I would say that the learning curve is steeper, and then the curve to actually be competent is way steeper.
    - Pretty big. The core decks are terrible.

I'm not trying to put you off. I love it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, so many recommendations. Can we narrow it down to a have mind solid 2-3 choices?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    You got it! I've narrowed the choices down for you: Netrunner, Netrunner, or Netrunner.

:whistle:

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    You got it! I've narrowed the choices down for you: Netrunner, Netrunner, or Netrunner.

Not co-op. Not even close.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh man, so many recommendations. Can we narrow it down to a have mind solid 2-3 choices?

Similar games:
    • Save the world/ticking timer: Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm, Flash Point: Fire Rescue (Pandemic and DotR are more similar to each other, but all three have a similar feel to me overall)
    • Defend a place: Castle Panic, Samurai Spirit (from what I gather), Ghost Stories (same)
    • Run around and grab stuff: Forbidden Desert/Island (Desert is better), Break the Safe

Robinson Crusoe, Sherlock Holmes and Pandemic: The Cure I have no idea about where they may fit. But in a general sort of categorization, you could theoretically pick one from each of those depending on what you like based on theme/weight/playtime/whatever.

edit: For #1 ticking timer is meaning you have to beat the game before you just flat out lose to the game (each has its own reason). There is no physical timer in them (Break the Safe does actually have a timer though, but it's not in the same category).

Custom Special on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Two more choices include Sentinels of the Multiverse (it's 3-5 players, but one or both people can easily control 2 heroes. This is my go-to co-op game with my girlfriend. Uses cards, but NOT a deckbuilder) and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (works really well with two people, can be played solo, and can be played in a larger group, too. A "deckbuilder-lite" with persistent progression that plays like the combat portion of a DnD campaign).

All of those choices above in the previous posts are excellent. I've played all of them except for Defenders of the Realm and Break the Safe.

Maybe we should ask what sort of themes and mechanics you like, and we can work from there.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Good idea! Themes she likes are fantasy and tech, but horror is right out. Well, she was ok with betrayal on haunted hill so as long as it isn't icky. Prolly best to avoid Cthulhu/zombie type of stuff.

Mechanics wise, I'm open to anything. Working together to beat a big baddie or collection would probably be a good start. Hope that helps some.

Edit: bonus points if we can have an on-going campaign/story with existing characters.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm saying that as a human being, if you are paid to move cargo containers and have been able to move X an hour,slowing down to x/10 an hour because your union hasn't been able to agree on a new contract is being selfish. Especially when doing so is costing other workers their jobs and money. ie. Truckers, stores, small businesses like Academy who paid for express shipping and extra workers to handle the game shipments who are now out that money because you felt slighted. I can wait to play my game, it's only what brought me awareness of the situation. It's the disregard for others that's unacceptable.

Eh, it's just leverage. The article you quoted explains why they're doing it now - because now is when their strike will matter. If the workers work without a contract then the owners have more leverage, but if they slow down during a busy season, then they have the leverage. The owners gambled that it wouldn't happen and lost. You could probably blame them just as easily for not taking care of their employees.

sig.gif
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I've heard some good things about Shadowrun Crossfire. I believe it's in the vein of the Pathfinder Card Game (persistent card-based coop) but also super hard until your dudes level up.

• Options
    I would recommend Defenders of the Realm if you can get it for a decent deal. It's a slightly larger/more grandiose Pandemic, but fantasy themed with the forces of evil marching on the main city at the center of the board. You have to kill each of the 4 evil generals (demon, orc, undead, dragon) before they reach the center. Players can choose several classic fantasy characters (Cleric, Ranger, Rogue, Wizard, etc) and each has unique abilities, and there are expansions that each add several new classes for more variety. Pretty challenging, it took us several tries before we finally won.

Castle Panic is also one that's really easy to get the hang of, but you need the Wizard's Tower expansion to really make it shine (it can be just a little bit easy without it).

If you do look at Sentinels of the Multiverse and like it let me know, I have an extra brand new copy (I haven't played my own yet, just got it but my wife and I are both fighting colds and in no mood for learning it).

• Options

I'll say that if you're looking for a coop game that will last a long time, is extremely expandable, has a lot of variety and options, as well as a good interaction between theme and mechanics, then Lord of the Rings LCG is the winner by a vast, vast margin. You build decks of heroes to try to complete quests, of which there are 3 in the base game and another one in every card pack you get.

BUT! It does have some issues, in that you do have to drop some more money to get the most out of it, the base set doesn't stand very well on its own, honestly. Of the 3 quests in the base box, 2 of them aren't really completable with the starter decks. But, once you get a couple packs, it really starts to shine.

So I'll say it comes down to how you want to play, LOTR LCG is really good if you want something you could play just about every day for months (albeit with higher costs, though it probably evens out across how long you could play it). If you want something to just play every now and then, then go for a more standalone game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Castle Panic is very meh without the expansion, and even then isn't really great with just 2 players. It really needs 3-4 to get going.

Pandemic and the Forbidden Island/Desert games are all by the same designer, and basically share the same core mechanic. Desert is generally considered to be the best of them, with the greatest replayability. Flash Point is also often compared to the games, as they are all about managing disaster and work along similar lines.

If I were to put together a list of 3 from what was mentioned, I'd probably go with Robinson Crusoe, Ghost Stories, and Forbidden Desert.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I've heard some good things about Shadowrun Crossfire. I believe it's in the vein of the Pathfinder Card Game (persistent card-based coop) but also super hard until your dudes level up.

Shadowrun Crossfire is kind of a blast. Very good theme, with the ability to scale difficulty so it's exactly as challenging as you want it to be. Also it manages to capture a tactical feel in a deckbuilder, which is unusual.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

I'll say that if you're looking for a coop game that will last a long time, is extremely expandable, has a lot of variety and options, as well as a good interaction between theme and mechanics, then Lord of the Rings LCG is the winner by a vast, vast margin. You build decks of heroes to try to complete quests, of which there are 3 in the base game and another one in every card pack you get.

BUT! It does have some issues, in that you do have to drop some more money to get the most out of it, the base set doesn't stand very well on its own, honestly. Of the 3 quests in the base box, 2 of them aren't really completable with the starter decks. But, once you get a couple packs, it really starts to shine.

So I'll say it comes down to how you want to play, LOTR LCG is really good if you want something you could play just about every day for months (albeit with higher costs, though it probably evens out across how long you could play it). If you want something to just play every now and then, then go for a more standalone game.

So here's a question: I picked this up as a christmas gift for my sister and her husband. Should I pick up an adventure pack or two so they have some extra stuff to mess with out of the gate?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

So Formula D, anything I should know going in? I've already downloaded extra print and play tracks.

Formula D is not a racing game, it is a gambling game.

Monaco is the best track.

That's all you need to know.

EDITED for idiocy

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Not co-op. Not even close.

No shit?

I guess I better make some real suggestions instead of being silly:

Pandemic
    Escape: Curse of the Temple
    Hanabi
    Mice & Mystics <-- Pretty much hits all the notes you're looking for (adventure, storytelling, fantasy, etc)
    Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

So here's a question: I picked this up as a christmas gift for my sister and her husband. Should I pick up an adventure pack or two so they have some extra stuff to mess with out of the gate?

Getting a couple of the first cycle adventure packs will add some more manageable quests and will open up the deck building possibilities considerably. You can also achieve the same effect by getting the Khazad-Dum expansion pack.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Getting a couple of the first cycle adventure packs will add some more manageable quests and will open up the deck building possibilities considerably. You can also achieve the same effect by getting the Khazad-Dum expansion pack.

I think yes, but I'd also suggest that they use the starter decks a couple times by themselves to get used to them and to the spheres. I'd say that I'd suggest the adventure packs first before an expansion box just because you get more player cards as opposed to quest cards. And probably start with the first set of packs, there's some good basic cards in there that set up more advanced decks.

And tell them that EVERYONE hates the troll in the second quest.

sig.gif
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Shadowrun Crossfire is kind of a blast. Very good theme, with the ability to scale difficulty so it's exactly as challenging as you want it to be. Also it manages to capture a tactical feel in a deckbuilder, which is unusual.

It is super engaging and also super challenging, I find. I don't expect to win most of the time, when we play we may lose a lot but we keep coming back for more.

I picked it up and we first played it at PAX, we did really well I believe when @Rend was playing but then we just couldn't win the next day with another group. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Coops to avoid! Or opinions that will get me flogged in this thread.

Defenders of the Realm - Pandemic reskinned with generic fantasy bleh. All the generic orcs and ladies not wearing nearly enough clothes you could want. Sigh. I personally can't look at it without eye-rolling.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Doing your taxes disguised as a game. Hope you like tracking stacked modifiers on top of other stacked modifiers. Claims to have very simple rules, but that's because all the rules are in mountains of text on the cards.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Supposedly a game about adventure and heroics that provides none of the thrill. Instead offers the same repeative task repeatedly - go to a generic location, roll some dice. Did you suceed? Alright then either stay there and roll more dice or move to a more different generic location and roll some dice. It's not actually a bad game - it's fine. You're just expected to do it for months as you complete entire campaigns. There's just not enough meat on those bones to justify putting in the time to get to the end game.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Sentinels of the Multiverse - Doing your taxes disguised as a game. Hope you like tracking stacked modifiers on top of other stacked modifiers. Claims to have very simple rules, but that's because all the rules are in mountains of text on the cards.
    It's no more difficult than keeping track of modifiers in the average Magic the Gathering game. It also has the benefit of almost zero setup time, since all you do is pick out 3-5 hero decks, an environment deck, and a villain deck and go. Again, this is my go-to co-op with my girlfriend, so different strokes/folks and all that.
    Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Supposedly a game about adventure and heroics that provides none of the thrill. Instead offers the same repeative task repeatedly - go to a generic location, roll some dice. Did you suceed? Alright then either stay there and roll more dice or move to a more different generic location and roll some dice. It's not actually a bad game - it's fine. You're just expected to do it for months as you complete entire campaigns. There's just not enough meat on those bones to justify putting in the time to get to the end game.
    The main appeal is the persistent progression (your characters level up and get new gear every game). Also, the variety and "meat on the bones" is a lot better with the expansions.

I haven't played the new base set yet, but supposedly that addresses some of the repetitiveness of the "corner the boss and fight him" mechanic that is prevalent in the early parts of the first base set. Also, it has pirates, which automatically make it better.

I personally don't like the setup time on this one, as most of my co-op preferences are for less-than-an-hour lunch break co-ops, but you can mitigate this by having the location decks set-up ahead of time long before you start play. You can probably "pre-mix" up to 2 scenarios with just the base set before you play a session with friends (more if you have expansions).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Alright, in gonna pick up a game after work as a gift. Keep posting thoughts and opinions though. I'll make a choice soonish.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I haven't played the Pathfinder card game, but to me it seems exactly the kind of game I'd wait until there's a 'big box' for.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »

It is super engaging and also super challenging, I find. I don't expect to win most of the time, when we play we may lose a lot but we keep coming back for more.

I picked it up and we first played it at PAX, we did really well I believe when @Rend was playing but then we just couldn't win the next day with another group. :lol:

You lacked my LIGHTNING BOLT!!!!!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »

My comment underneath the SUSD article contains my thoughts on Doomtown (same username), but to answer your questions specifically:

- Yes, it plays more than two. But it's more chaotic and less strategic. Definitely one of those that's really a two player game that sort of supports more
    - It's more complex than Netrunner in some ways. Less mathy, but the board state is a lot more fluid. I would say that the learning curve is steeper, and then the curve to actually be competent is way steeper.
    - Pretty big. The core decks are terrible.

I'm not trying to put you off. I love it.

I'm agreeing with Epimer here, and have my two Ghost Rock to add for other people looking at Doomtown:

The base set does not contain four decks. It contains the cards for the four factions and the non-faction stuff. Granted, there's enough non-faction stuff (deeds/dudes/actions) that you could easily make four 52-card decks, but they're not all going to be on the same power level. You only have two Jokers, for instance. If you're getting a set to share with friends, you'll quickly find some cards in short supply, and the suggested decks only go so far. Those will be enough to get you familiar with gameplay and whether or not you like it, but if you want to put together custom decks you'll likely be stepping on each others' toes when the strategies you're thinking of get stymied by other people taking your cards.

That's when you look at one another, and your eyes will narrow. "This Doomtown box ain't big enough for the both (three, four) of us." The piano player runs away. Passers-by will rush indoors. A tumbleweed will blow in from somewhere. And then the shootin' starts.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Decided to go with Forbidden Desert. Sentinels of the Multiverse and Pandemic looked great too. So many choices, so little money. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Jokers are assholes in true Deadlands fashion, though.

You may think, "Oh, yeah, I'm going to put it in there and get a stupid hand and it's going to be awesome."

And then you end up drawing it in your play hand. Or you pull it in lowball while you have another ace in your hand.

It is pure hate in card form.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

So Formula D, anything I should know going in? I've already downloaded extra print and play tracks.

Monte Carlo is the best track.

I can't find the Monte Carlo track on Amazon. Is it an older track and out of print? Or a print and play?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Monte Carlo is the best track.

I can't find the Monte Carlo track on Amazon. Is it an older track and out of print? Or a print and play?

I don't know anything about Formula D, but maybe he means Monaco.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    If my LFGS has Imperial Assault in stock on Saturday when I go in for game night, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist.

And if they don't, I'll probably be grabbing Doomtown, even though I'll only be able to play with the starter decks for a long while.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man 2p Tokaido is some cut throat business. Like surprisingly in your face non stop from the word go.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Tonight, I introduced some friends of mine who'd seen BSG but never played the game to the wonders of a Cylon President;

qBbQINo.jpg

Baltar was a good guy until the Sleeper Phase, then it was no more Mr. Nice Gaius.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Got a chance to try Fury of Dracula, finally.

I dig that game! Shame it's out of print. Good that I now know a guy who owns it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    My buddy (CylonBaltar) managed to somehow pick up a copy of Ground Floor, with all the Kickstarter exclusives, for 20 bucks. I was floored, pun not intended. Can't wait to play that again.

• Options
    One of the most epic games of BSG I played had Gaius as President, Admiral, and CAG or Precagmiral as he demanded to be called.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page