As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: The Movie!

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread where we

092012-dredd-3d.jpg

and

back-to-the-future.jpg

and

John-McClane-Best-Moments-2.jpg

and

8DSVUz8.jpg

and

cp200laydown.jpg

while

eveyrthing_is_awesome.jpg

So get going before the remake comes out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvuLUCDj8Q

RMS Oceanic on

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Man, we so need a Dredd sequel.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Goddammit, did this thread really need a reboot? There's nothing this thread will have to say that the original thread didn't already say better, and the original thread wasn't even that long ago.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Goddammit, did this thread really need a reboot? There's nothing this thread will have to say that the original thread didn't already say better, and the original thread wasn't even that long ago.

We need to re-release the thread because we've got some slight tweaks we've always wanted to make, but couldn't before we had today's posting technology.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

We gotta maintain the copyright somehow

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

We need to re-release the thread because we've got some slight tweaks we've always wanted to make, but couldn't before we had today's posting technology.

I changed the Aliens pic to be a little more socially responsible.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So the trailers before Lucy were so f'ing bad. Like Fifty Shades of Grey was in the docket. And whoever said that trailer looks like one for a movie about a serial killer has it spot on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

And I realised that Wolf of Wall Street picture wasn't clear if it adheres to the Hays Code, so I helpfully clarified.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

You should see the director's cut, it is so much better. Shows what was really intended before the studio interfered to get it down to a PG-13 rating, because you know that's where the money is.

see317 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

mods are so risk-averse these days that any thread that can hit 100 pages just gets remade over and over again

if we don't keep remaking threads, rights to make threads revert to linksville

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I saw Boyhood. It was pretty good! I can't say I was blown away by it, the way some other people were, but it was refreshing to see a coming-of-age film that largely avoids the typical scenes and expected touchstones (prom night, losing virginity, crazy keg party, etc.) especially from the director of Dazed and Confused. It also mostly avoided the cloying and artificial sentimentality in a lot of coming-of-age movies, the big moral lesson, the heavy-handed "we are infinite" moment, and so on.

That being said, in the end it was a rather ordinary coming-of-age tale, and while a lot of it felt very "real", it was also predictable. This is a boy and a family that we've seen a million times before. I'd love to see a film like this which is not about a straight white dude from Texas.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Also, hearing lordes cover of rule the world multiple times before a movie is fucking dumb. Its on 3 different things now, that dracula untold, that show 'how to get away with murder' and I sweari t was on another trailer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

You should see the director's cut, it is so much better. Shows what was really intended before the studio interfered to get it down to a PG-13 rating, because you know that's where the money is.

The DC of Aliens has some good stuff but some of it is bloat that should have been cut, whether for pacing or thematic reasons. Like, the scenes at the colony before it's infested are nice from one perspective, but as an uninformed movie-goer, it's much better if they don't see the colony before it becomes creepy. Otherwise you lose some of the tension.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So the trailers before Lucy were so f'ing bad. Like Fifty Shades of Grey was in the docket. And whoever said that trailer looks like one for a movie about a serial killer has it spot on.

I saw that trailer and man, it has the most Mary Sue looking protagonist ever.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Also, hearing lordes cover of rule the world multiple times before a movie is fucking dumb. Its on 3 different things now, that dracula untold, that show 'how to get away with murder' and I sweari t was on another trailer.

Now that you mention it, I didn't hear Mackelmore's "Can't Hold Us" on a single trailer yesterday. Hooray! They moved on to a new song!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

So a totally accurate adaptation then.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So since this isn't quite suited to the Trailers thread, I figured here would be a good place to put it: Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool Test Footage

EDIT: It got put up in non-bootleg form:

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    just test footage, but still pretty promising.

• Options
    As a concept, that shit is gold. I would totally watch a movie full of that, if the budget was sufficient to realize that action.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That's awful and unfunny.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say Hercules was fantastic and pleasantly surprising.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Allow me to engage in some mild crossposting:
    It's really unfortunate that WB had no idea what to do with their animation when they made Mask of the Phantasm. It's a great film that could have succeeded if WB had just promoted it properly. They missed a pretty big opportunity to build an animation department that could compete with Disney.

Tangentially, I wanna talk about the Iron Giant and the Incredibles.

First of all: They're both great. Second of all: I gleaned an interesting contrast between late 90's WB and early 2000's Pixar from watching the deleted scenes and Brad Bird's commentary.

In Iron Giant, most of the scenes that were cut were character moments: Hogarth at school to show he's smart but isolated. A scene between Dean and Hogarth's mom in the diner so their later interest in each other doesn't feel as sudden. Hogarth + Mom running into the guy at sea who saw IG and giving a little more background to the family situation. And in each of these scenes Brad Bird gives the same reasons they were excised: Not enough time to finish them, not enough money to animate them.

In the Incredibles, there are a lot more deleted scenes that come from earlier script revisions, removals because of impacting the flow of the story, it upsets the tone of the movie or how characters are perceived etc. There was one notable exception, a part when Elastigirl, Violet and Dash are hiding underwater, which had to be cut because they couldn't render Violet's hair underwater and make it look right. I always wondered if they'd put that back in when the technology improved?

So in Iron Giant you have cuts made due to budget and schedule constraints, while in the Incredibles the cuts were made to improve the story.

Interesting!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Kyougu wrote: »

it's young adult fiction for adults

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

And I still don't believe you at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    So since this isn't quite suited to the Trailers thread, I figured here would be a good place to put it: Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool Test Footage

ugh

looks like the mask for millenials

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Why not?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

And I realised that Wolf of Wall Street picture wasn't clear if it adheres to the Hays Code, so I helpfully clarified.

That Die Hard picture promotes smoking. Think of the children!

And Marty McFly isn't exactly wearing a seatbelt. Dredd would not approve.

Bobble on
  • Options

That Die Hard picture promotes smoking. Think of the children!

What, are you saying smoking is particularly harmful?

FlintWinston.jpg

Nonsense!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »

ugh

looks like the mask for millenials

pretty much, yeah

I dunno if I'm interested in a dead pool movie necessarily, it would just be the perfect superhero role for reynolds

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I think Reynolds is great when you stick him in the right role, he just keeps winding up with shit like Green Lantern. He was kind of fun in RIPD, but that was not a great movie. His earlier rom-com stuff is excellent, though - he's got great delivery and timing and has mastered sarcastic smarm. He would rock a properly-written Deadpool.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Though if that is test footage, I hope it's not all CGI. Or most of it. Granted, I could see that maybe they weren't 100%ing it because it's test footage, but I was distracted and could easily see.
    On the other hand, it's dead on for Deadpool.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I didn't think Reynolds was a bad choice for Hal Jordan, I blame the failures in that movie on the writing and direction.

• Options

Why not?

Because it looked so awful in previews.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I assumed it was just some CG thrown together to show off the film's style and tone, because doing that with practical effects would cost $Texas and would be stupid for a proof of concept.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Why not?

Because it looked so awful in previews.

The previews are basically.

Minor spoiler.
    a complete misdirect. It's part of what made the movie so much fun. Everything you see in the previews is over in the first 10 or 15 minutes of the movie.

Seriously don't click this. Just go see it. Early movie important spoiler.
    He's a mortal. He works with an awesome band of mercenaries to spread the story and have an easier time collecting loot. Completely subverts the usual Hercules story. A part of the plot is that he does things to make it appear as if he's a demigod and has to perpetuate the myth. Some folks see straight through it. But it's a story about a gang of mercenaries.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorry I can't trust a browns fan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Reynolds needs a Deadpool movie right now more than a Deadpool movie needs Reynolds. Everything he's done lately has sucked and underperformed, and he has the distinction of being in one of if not the worst superhero film ever made.

• Options
    Man Blade Trinity wasn't that bad Bubby.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sorry I can't trust a browns fan.

Even Geth agrees.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    An unfeeling robot who dances to the tune of his masters? That's worse than a browns fan!

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.