As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The idea of "earning" to be the hero is the weirdest/creepiest shit I've heard in a while.

Seriously, that is some Cabin in the Woods level shit.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Watching some of the new extras on the Evil Dead 2 BD last night...

I had no idea that the scene where Ash's hair gets the white streak was stop-motion!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I was walking through the last Denver Comic Con and ran into Bruce Campbell's bodyguard, about a foot from bruce campbell. Bruce was reaching over a barrier and shaking Lou Ferigno's hand, apparently meeting him for the first time. I was very excited.

I'm really excited about this show.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Huh. I was just in Vegas this weekend and just saw Evil Dead: The Musical. What timing, a few hours after the musical was finished they announce the news about the TV show.

Also, Evil Dead: The Musical - great!

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    Huh. I was just in Vegas this weekend and just saw Evil Dead: The Musical. What timing, a few hours after the musical was finished they announce the news about the TV show.

Also, Evil Dead: The Musical - great!

I saw that in Toronto. Front row centre, right in the splatter zone. There are very few musicals you can walk out of covered in zombie blood.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And in the original Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell totally earned the right to be the survivor/hero by out-racing evil in his Oldsmobile.

sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Details!
    Back in November, splatstick horror fans were blown away by the groovy news that Bruce Campbell would return to his cult franchise with the ten-episode half-hour Starz series “Ash vs. Evil Dead,” and now the big-chinned one has given Entertainment Weekly the skinny on the new show.

Apparently, when we find one-handed hero Ash 23 years after the events of Army of Darkness, he’s still working a big-box store job (ala S-Mart) and living in a trailer park when a Deadite resurrection prompts him to take a road trip with two young co-workers… and his boomstick.

“It’s a threesome, which is a good number,” Campbell jokes. “Since it’s not cast yet, it would be silly to fully describe them. But they’re supposed to be two very good counterparts. One is a male-bonding situation; the other is father-figure deal, since Ash could have a daughter the same age as this character. Hopefully we’ll pull Ash out of his loner-veteran mode and get him back into being a human being again.”

Those concerned that the show would veer too far in the serious direction–as the 2013 Evil Dead remake did–need not worry, as slapstick comedy is still the name of the game, but like the three previous movies in the series, the demonic threats are no joke.

“Something we’re doing is taking the horror parts very seriously,” promises Campbell. “And it’s going to cause Ash—this crabby middle-aged man who doesn’t want to get dragged back into this—a lot of problems. He’s not the Ash he used to be… Ash has survivor’s guilt. You could have a heyday with his PTSD. He’s a war vet. He doesn’t want to talk about it, and he’ll lie about that stump on his hand to impress the ladies. This is a guy who’s got some issues. He’s emotionally stunted. But he’s the guy you want in the foxhole next to you… He continues being a trash-talking know-it-all who doesn’t really know anything.”

Campbell also waxes poetic about landing Starz as the home for the series, hinting that he and his production partners Sam Raimi (who will direct the pilot) and Robert Tapert will retain a high degree of creative control, which means no limit on blood spillage… and no commercials.

“The beauty of Starz is there’s no content issues,” says Campbell. “Let’s face it: Fans want the carnage and the mayhem. So we intend to give them quite the explosion of viscera. Most of it directed at me, unfortunately. We want it to taste exactly like the ‘Evil Dead’ movies, and I think with the setup with Starz we can do exactly that. We also don’t have to cut to a stupid Dodge commercial.”

Finally, Campbell swears that despite a heavy reliance on computer effects in horror these days, “Ash vs. Evil Dead” will still retain that handmade feel with loads of practical effects, including some of that great herky-jerky stop-motion animation.

“[CGI] still ain’t cheap, and it takes a long time to do,” he says. “I have a hunch we’ll do what we’ve always done—a kind of combo platter, which is better for the audience anyway.”

“Ash vs. Evil Dead” is expected to unleash hell on Starz in late 2015.

They're filming in New Zealand this spring, and Raimi will direct the first episode.

I am no longer cautiously optimistic, I have shed my caution entirely and I'm in full-blown excitement mode.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "We also don't have to cut to a stupid Dodge commercial"

Ash, how could you SAY that?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    ustv-burn-notice-season-6-bruce-campbell-1.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Hey, they worked the commercial INTO the show on that one.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TV show news;

Bruce Campbell Starts Giving Groovy Ash Vs. Evil Dead Details
    Pretty much all we've known about Starz' Ash Vs. Evil Dead TV series is that it would star Bruce Campbell, and that's all we've needed to know. We're in. But now Campbell has actually started describing the show's plot — you know, beyond the "Vs. Evil Dead" part — and it still sounds pretty damn great.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    TV show news;

Bruce Campbell Starts Giving Groovy Ash Vs. Evil Dead Details
    Pretty much all we've known about Starz' Ash Vs. Evil Dead TV series is that it would star Bruce Campbell, and that's all we've needed to know. We're in. But now Campbell has actually started describing the show's plot — you know, beyond the "Vs. Evil Dead" part — and it still sounds pretty damn great.
    In it we are introduced to a nomadic Ash, a figure who's not only haunted by traumatic memories

Whoa, a series' hero who actually suffers some form of negative psychological side-effect after being forced into life-or-death situations and having to kill people without preparation? This time-travelling ancient-demon-fighting show may be the most realistic franchise ever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm mobile so I can't post a link now but they have announced some other casting choices too!

• Options
    Evil Dead TV series set to air this Halloween, feature a “grizzled” Ash Williams
    In his continuing adventures of busting up Deadites, Ash will be joined by two new sidekicks, played by Ray Santiago (Girlfight, Meet the Fockers) and Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas).

Article goes on to give a planned release date of October 2015.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Halloween premiere? I'm for it.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of TWD, and The Chin saying that's their direct competition gives me a fucking Hard On.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Evil Dead TV series set to air this Halloween, feature a “grizzled” Ash Williams
    In his continuing adventures of busting up Deadites, Ash will be joined by two new sidekicks, played by Ray Santiago (Girlfight, Meet the Fockers) and Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas).

Article goes on to give a planned release date of October 2015.

Happy Late Birthday for me

• Options
    Lucy Lawless Joins Starz's Evil Dead Sequel Series, Starring Bruce Campbell
    Lawless will play Ruby, a mysterious figure who is myopic in her quest to hunt down the source of the recent Evil outbreaks. The only problem? She believes that Ash is the cause of it all.

Holy shit!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Lucy Lawless Joins Starz's Evil Dead Sequel Series, Starring Bruce Campbell
    Lawless will play Ruby, a mysterious figure who is myopic in her quest to hunt down the source of the recent Evil outbreaks. The only problem? She believes that Ash is the cause of it all.

Holy shit!

Xena VS Autolycus VS Joxxer. Anybody know what Renee O'Connor is doing these days?

• Options
    I'd like to see some old Brisco County Jr. alumni added to to the cast. Sadly, my no. 1 pick, Julius Carry (Lord Bowler), has passed away. Christian Clemenson (Socrates Poole) would be a good choice. John Pyper-Ferguson (Pete Hutter) has played a heavy in the last few roles I've seen him in, so he might like a chance to return to a light-hearted role. Failing any of those, Coby Bell (Jesse from Burn Notice) would be cool since it looks like the rumored Sam & Jesse spin-off isn't going to happen.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'd like to see some old Brisco County Jr. alumni added to to the cast. Sadly, my no. 1 pick, Julius Carry (Lord Bowler), has passed away. Christian Clemenson (Socrates Poole) would be a good choice. John Pyper-Ferguson (Pete Hutter) has played a heavy in the last few roles I've seen him in, so he might like a chance to return to a light-hearted role. Failing any of those, Coby Bell (Jesse from Burn Notice) would be cool since it looks like the rumored Sam & Jesse spin-off isn't going to happen: Comet.

Possibly in the form of a bottle of glue.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    How can you be a Bruce Campbell fan and not like The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Dang, only 15 seconds of silhouette and chainsaw sounds. Still super exciting! It finally feels real!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I literally don't understand the criticism of the "earn your survival" trope. Plenty of movies use it to great effect, whether they embrace or reject it. Movies like The Edge and Alive embrace it, properly. Final Destination more or less rejects it. Saw embraces it, but to show that it can be a creepy/villainous thing to expect.

However, the criticism seems to be of the trope itself, or that the rejection/subversion of the trope is the only appropriate ("non-creepy") reaction. That's a little weird to me.

Sometimes you do have to earn your survival. You have to do things you don't want to do, or overcome obstacles that not everyone can or will overcome. This is true in real life, sometimes, so contrived situations where it is true don't bother me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Plus, all movies are survival horror to some degree. Even Frozen.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    People didn't like the Evil Dead remake because the 'hero' didn't earn the title 'hero'?

Fucking hipsters......

• Options
    I am sorry why are people talking about things that aren't Bruce Campbell or foul-mouthed zombies or chainsaws

• Options
    I didn't have any interest in the Evil Dead remake because it looked like a straight up horror film; whereas the earlier movies were like the Three Stooges of horror films. Also, unlike your regular horror protagonist, Ash fought back.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The Evil Dead remake is way more on the goofy side of things.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hope they draw on those Dynamite comics for inspiration.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I thought of this when I was watching iZombie this week.
    There's a pit, and a female zombie in a pit (had to have been intentional how much like a deadite she looked), and of course someone loses their balance and falls into the pit with the zombie.

Not that it would happen, but an iZombie/Ash vs. The Evil Dead crossover would probably be hilarious.

• Options
    Another teaser trailer for the upcoming Starz series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncef44CHrI

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    God I hope this is good!

Proposed drinking game: every time Ash says a one-liner, take a drink.

• Options
    God I hope this is good!

I have high hopes for it. The only thing that Bruce has been in that I didn't much care for was Jack of All Trades, and even that wasn't completely awful.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That Jack of All Trades theme song almost won an Emmy. Stupid West Wing .

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Oh, Mimi Rogers got cast for this:

Ucf3G8m.jpg

You might know her as Mrs. Kensington in the first Austin Powers movie.

• Options
    Also as Mrs. Professor Robinson from the Lost in Space movie.

MV5BMTMxNDYzODQ4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMzNTU0NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    God I hope this is good!

We have to be alive to watch the next episode.

• Options