As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
What's The Evil Dead?

Only some of the most enjoyable cult horror/comedy films of all time.

The-Evil-Dead-poster.jpg

Evil_Dead_II_poster.jpg

MPW-32789

What started out as an unintentionally campy horror film gradually became intentionally campy horror films, taking influences from The Three Stooges, of all things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awrem5pfhBk

So what's going on with this new show?
Campbell is reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario, and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity, and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons – personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its “Evil” grip.

The cast is led by Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, “Burn Notice”) in the role of Ash Williams; Lucy Lawless (“Salem,” “Spartacus”) as Ruby, a mysterious figure who believes Ash is the cause of the Evil outbreaks; Ray Santiago (“Touch,” Meet the Fockers) as Pablo Simon Bolivar, an idealistic immigrant who becomes Ash’s loyal sidekick; Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas) as Kelly Maxwell, a moody wild child trying to outrun her past; and Jill Marie Jones (“Sleepy Hollow”) as Amanda Fisher, a disgraced Michigan State Trooper set to find our anti-hero Ash and prove his responsibility in the grisly murder of her partner.

This is a show you should watch, because it looks like they are taking everything you should love about this franchise and making more of it. Any doubts I had over whether Sam Raimi was going to keep the original spirit of the horror/comedy blend have vanished.

EDIT:

So, Season 1 was wall-to-wall gore awesome. And now, Season 2 is coming this October. Have a teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsf6ZAnPpUE
Yo, D&D.
FfrYItS.jpg
Come get some.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I still haven't seen the remake movie yet because without Campbell what the hell is the appeal? I'm so glad that they are going into the show with him as the lead, otherwise any interest I have shrivels on the vine.

Army of Darkness was always my favorite in the series, with Evil Dead 2 close behind. The blend of horror and humor is what makes this franchise, and I hope they build it upon that instead of heading purely in one direction or the other.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I love them all.

I hope this is more than a little mini-series.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also, Campbell has still got it in the action department, if Burn Notice is anything to go by. 10 years from now I would be more worried about him having to do slapstick humor and action sequences, but I think he can hack it today.

• Options
    I'd be worried if he wasn't on an awesome diet.

is he still skinny Bruce Campbell? I haven't seen a picture of him lately.

AND WHY ARE WE THE ONLY TWO TALKING ABOUT THIS!?

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I still haven't seen the remake movie yet because without Campbell what the hell is the appeal? I'm so glad that they are going into the show with him as the lead, otherwise any interest I have shrivels on the vine.

Army of Darkness was always my favorite in the series, with Evil Dead 2 close behind. The blend of horror and humor is what makes this franchise, and I hope they build it upon that instead of heading purely in one direction or the other.

I thought this same thing but the remake was actually pretty damn good. I immediately wanted to see it again and it sort of stuck with me for a few days. But, there's no accounting for taste so YMMV.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    I'd be worried if he wasn't on an awesome diet.

is he still skinny Bruce Campbell? I haven't seen a picture of him lately.

AND WHY ARE WE THE ONLY TWO TALKING ABOUT THIS!?

Most recent picture on his Twitter:

Apparently we are the only Real Men on the forums.

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »

I thought this same thing but the remake was actually pretty damn good. I immediately wanted to see it again and it sort of stuck with me for a few days. But, there's no accounting for taste so YMMV.

Well, I'm sure I'll get around to it. It's just that every time I think about watching it, I realize I could be watching ED2 or Army of Darkness instead. :P

• Options
    everyone else must be ashamed at their lack of chin

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Hail to the Motherfucking King, baby.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    They need to bring back Jane Levy, with Suburgatory canceled she's got time in her schedule for a series.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sorry I haven't posted. I'm too busy rigging up a chainsaw to my hand in anticipation!

Hail to the King!

• Options
    Levy was quoted as saying that the movie was the worst time of her life.

So, probably not going to happen.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

bummer, she did a great job in that movie

I wonder what network would be best for this series. FX? AMC?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Cartoon Network.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Cartoon Network.

Six seasons and a movie canceled in six episodes.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Get the fuck outta here. Is this real!?

The 2010s are like an 80's action renaissance.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Cartoon Network.

CW, it'll be a spinoff of Supernatural.
    I'm sorry, I'll show myself out.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hooooolyyyyyyy
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

It's a tradition that making an Evil Dead movie is an absolutely traumatizing experience for everybody involved.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I saw the side of Bruce Campbell's head at Denver Comic Con a few weeks ago and he looked just fine. This is exciting news. No idea if it'll be good, but still, exciting.

edit: Wait I saw more than that, I saw him meet Lou Ferrigno like a foot in front of me. Well separated by a security person but still, that was cool.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

I legitimately thought that dog was going to shit a brick.

Because that's what I did.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I saw the side of Bruce Campbell's head at Denver Comic Con a few weeks ago and he looked just fine. This is exciting news. No idea if it'll be good, but still, exciting.

edit: Wait I saw more than that, I saw him meet Lou Ferrigno like a foot in front of me. Well separated by a security person but still, that was cool.

Did he smell like Old Spice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    AMC? HBO? Starz?

This is important, damn it!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    AMC? HBO? Starz?

Hopefully cable. I want my over-the-top comedy gore.

Another thing I hope they do is ignore Raimi and Campbell's preferred Army of Darkness ending (post-apocalypse) in favor of the one with the better potential for drama/comedy (S-Mart/"Hail to the King, baby").

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I thought I dreamt this news, but the thread is still here.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    AMC? HBO? Starz?

Yeah, it'd be better for the show if it was on a cable channel or maybe even as a Netflix show. It needs room to breathe and do horrible things to people without worrying about censors going "NOPE."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    AMC? HBO? Starz?

Yeah, it'd be better for the show if it was on a cable channel or maybe even as a Netflix show. It needs room to breathe and do horrible things to people without worrying about censors going "NOPE."

ABC Family Presents: The Evil Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxTdAI4kM1o

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    And the company can't be squeamish about Raimi "torturing" the actors.

Best part is you know The Chin will get to direct a few episodes.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    While the remake was terrible, I'm all for a show starring Ash! That's awesome news.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    The remake wasn't actually too bad. Solid gore and the plot made sense. I thought it was groovy.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    The remake wasn't actually too bad. Solid gore and the plot made sense. I thought it was groovy.

The hero in no way deserved to be the hero. It wasn't earned. The movie was okay until the "twist", at which point it was pretty much ruined for me.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

The hero in no way deserved to be the hero. It wasn't earned. The movie was okay until the "twist", at which point it was pretty much ruined for me.

I disagree that it wasn't earned. They went through a lot for the "hero" (i.e. potential survivor) to come forth. I would even say that the arc is similar to other entries in the franchise.

I think it's pretty boring if the hero always turns out to be the person you think it's going to be all along.

• Options

I disagree that it wasn't earned. They went through a lot for the "hero" (i.e. potential survivor) to come forth. I would even say that the arc is similar to other entries in the franchise.

I think it's pretty boring if the hero always turns out to be the person you think it's going to be all along.

The hero being a surprise is fine. So long as they're in more than a quarter to a third of the movie.

• Options

The hero being a surprise is fine. So long as they're in more than a quarter to a third of the movie.

? The survivor was introduced at the start of the movie and was a major mover of the plot the whole way through.

• Options
    God now I have to watch the remake. Are you people happy?

It's not on Netflix is it.

• Options

? The survivor was introduced at the start of the movie and was a major mover of the plot the whole way through.
    She becomes the sort of-villain for like 2/3rds of the movie. She in no way earned saving the day, especially since it's not even through her own force of will that she gets unpossessed, even.

She does nothing except kill other characters and then get brought back to life.

Not to mention the movie didn't follow it's own logic, which is a problem since it used said logic to try and pull the twist at the end.

• Options
    [/spoiler]
    Not to mention the movie didn't follow it's own logic, which is a problem since it used said logic to try and pull the twist at the end.[/spoiler]

Disagree. Every rule that the movie put in place was followed at some point. I recall that this got analyzed to death when it first came out.
    As for her getting possessed, Ash got possessed in ED2 and was only cured by the sunrise. Is he unworthy of being the hero, too?

I also don't think that a movie like this you "earn" being the last survivor. "Hero" is such an inappropriate term when everybody else dies. She suffers, gets possessed, kills, dies, and is purified... then she ends the threat. Last I checked, redeemed "villains" are still allowed to kill the bad guy.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The idea of "earning" to be the hero is the weirdest/creepiest shit I've heard in a while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The idea of "earning" to be the hero is the weirdest/creepiest shit I've heard in a while.

How? In a narrative, things like that have to be earned for it to have any impact. Its the reason you can't build up a character and then kill them in a way that doesn't progress the plot even more. Even Game of Thrones follows that.

You can't build up a plot and then cut it off without resolution, just like you can't have a payoff without any actual buildup.

The Evil Dead remake has zero buildup to deserve the "hero" getting to wield the chainsaw ala Ash. It was meant to reflect Ash, and the character did not in any way earn (with the audience) the right to be likened to Ash.