As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum - Epic play by email Hex 'em up, from Hell! Game over.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Almost a week and I have all of two turns in. Nudge, nudge!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Sorry, the Turkey day family maelstrom is claiming some of us. I'll get mine in when I can.

• Options
    New turn out! Disloyalty all around. The Abyss hungers.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Poke poke nudge. The pace of this has fallen off a cliff.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Would you say it's...gone to hell?

• Options
  • Options
    Kaorti has gone MIA and I'm off on the Christmas holiday family travels tomorrow.

In the hope that it's just Merry Festive Yuletide Times getting in the way of our hellish scheming I guess we're on hold until the New Year when, claws crossed, normal service can resume.

Merry Christmas fiends. May Satan bring you all you desire.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I'm really sorry for holding things up for so long. I had a trial, and I've been working 12 hour days since the turn went out. I finally got it out now.

• Options
    A new year dawns. A time for portents and omens. For changes and revolution.

2015 shall be the year a new King rules in Hell.

Let the game recommence!

New turn out. I'm so glad I'd input my orders back in December and have my Solium diary.

Kaorti gets back in the property game.

Cap's main unit gets buff.

The angel pisses back off where he came from.

We're all off for a fun gladiator fight!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I've got two out of five turns in, which after such a long break is honestly more than I was expecting for the first notification!

This is just a friendly reminder that the weekend is a great time to catch up on your hellish scheming.

Jump back on that horse. He's only slightly on fire and you get used to the brimstone smell in no time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'll have time/energy for my turn in Saturday.

• Options
    @kaorti @Farangu‌

We still cool?

Not that I'm at all suggesting anyone should, but if the long turn times are because someone has lost the joy, players can be replaced with AI.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The Infernal Conclave denies any and all rumours related to the mechano-virus that is definitely not sweeping though the underworld from sources unknown. Reports that the Demon Lord Gudanion has succumbed to outside infection and is now the puppet of artificial clockwork intelligences of unknown origin and purpose are utterly unfounded and any beast spreading such lies is to be punished in harshly.

Farangu has sadly had to withdraw due to real life time pressures. His forces will be handed over to an AI player and play will continue. Probably tomorrow as I’m at work right now and out tonight.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    New turn out.

Robo-Gudanion is a cheeky one.

Bring on the games!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Only one turn out of four received so far.

I'm anxious to find out how my 'I don't know what the hell I'm doing here' strategy worked out for me at the Praetor rumble!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Whoops. Got my turn in.

• Options
  • Options
    New turn is out.

Bune.

Bune!

BUNE!

56lj8vsv7r6y.png

Also Kaorti fends off Cap and gets pinged by bureaucracy.

bune.png 130.1K
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Gentle prods for @kaorti and @TheOtherHorseman

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    This time it wasn't me!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Had the files a few days, but foolishly wasn't checking as they came in again and waiting for @Capfalcon to resubmit the correct file.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    New turn out.

The mushroom is mine!

Over halfway on the conclave token draw. They accelerate in their draw rate as they go, right?

I should really do a new map.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    We waiting on anyone? I'm pretty sure I sent mine in...

• Options
  • Options
    New turn out. Not much of great note to report.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    In lieu of an exciting turn report, have a new map with colours and prestige scores.

744q56dqr4uv.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Man it had been so long I almost forgot about the game!

@kaorti @Capfalcon @Auralynx

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Over halfway on the conclave token draw. They accelerate in their draw rate as they go, right?

Yes

• Options
    I completely missed my email notification for this. Sent my turn in.

• Options
  • Options

I think I need to concede. First, I'm out of tricks up my sleeve to keep everyone else down. Second, I can't keep up with Jam Warrior's +10 prestige per turn. Third, my old computer died and I'm having a ton of trouble trying to get my SI files off of it. Fourth, I started playing while I was unemployed. Now I'm working overtime with an hour plus commute, so I just couldn't reliably get my updates out in time.

It was a fun game for me, and I'm sorry I delayed it so often.

• Options
    No worries, though I'm sure I'm just a spate of events and burglaries away from being knocked right back down. The AI shall fight on in your name.

@Auralynx I'm going to assume you're throwing in the towel as well unless I hear something soon.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah, fair assumption. I keep meaning to wrangle things back into order and at least set you guys up to have a bot take over but I've been getting consistently jammed up at work and at home since the last time we discussed my participation, for which I apologize. Not nearly as thoroughly as kaorti, but it's been constant. I'm barely managing to get in a word phalla-wise and mostly by phone, for another example.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    No worries gents. The robo-banner shall fly in your names.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    New turn out and new conclave token has been drawn.

Let's bring this thing home.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Cap throws in the AI towel and it's down to just me and Horseman.

To the bitter end!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Horseman also pulled out and I played out the last ten turns against the AIs.

gqkwg3krm65j.png

I rule in Hell! Kaorti is my Lieutenant.

I don't think the AI was very good at handling my plan of keeping them all under constant demands and then beating them up with Bune my super praetor when they constantly refused to concede. They just kept feeding low level praetors in to the meat grinder and thus handing over the prestige to me.

Many thanks @kaorti @farangu @TheOtherHorseman @Capfalcon and @Auralynx for the game! It was amazing while it was trucking along, but it sure is a big old commitment. I don't know where 60 turns comes out on the game length scale but it certainly felt like a marathon.

Mayhap I may even try to set up another game soon.

Long live the new Lord of Hell!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The AI seemed not very interested in fighting amongst themselves so the end map was pretty much identical to the last one posted.

My extensive turn notes are below in case anyone was interested. I was so determined I was boned at the start when I almost got no PoPs!
    Starting build:
    Martial 2,Wickedness 1, Charisma 3
    Paranoid (Resist Deceit), Devoted Minions (+1 Tribute choice)
    Duke, Gluttony
    Vague plan. Rake in the tributes, buff Martial and buy armies, stomp enemies, hope Paranoia is enough to keep me safe from being robbed blind.
    Now begins the panicked stream of consciousness.
    Turn 1:
    Woohoo there are places of power right by me! Oh shit they’ll kick my ass if I look at them wrong. At least I’m fairly isolated from the others. How on earth am I meant to get more fighting power? Everything in the market needs blood and I received bugger all blood in tribute! Also my starting legion is a bit pants as it has a bonus to damage if it wins the ranged round, and a ranged stat of 1. Plans. Firstly send my legion up to secure access to the place of power above me for future conquering. Then demand tribute in the hopes of saving enough for the +1 Wrath artefact as it is one of the few things available that doesn’t cost blood. With more wrath I’ll be able to make 2 element combat cards which will I think be just enough to allow my starting legion to win me a Place of Power? Here goes nothing.
    Turn 2:
    How are people buying things already!? Those are the wrong tribute types. I’m not surprised that Horseman has moved his legion down to also get next to the Northern PoP but I’m also not happy about it as his legion could easily eat mine for breakfast in a straight fight. I can rush access to that mushroom over the river. Unless those newly purchased flying bastards get there first. But there's loads of places they could be after, I'll be safe right? Move legion, pray for ghosts in the tribute.
    Turn 3:
    Oh! My nearest neighbour Horseman seems to have suicided his starter legion into a PoP. That was unexpected to say the least. No more ghosts in tribute... I could manage an attack on the mushroom if the dice go my way, but don't think the risk is worth it as nobody else is around as long as the flying men stay away. Will just ensure I have adjacent territory and keep rolling those tribute dice for now. Briefly tempted to start bullying Horseman now he has no forces, but then I'd get cards of his choice if he gave in, and I need those ghosts. C'mon ghosts!
    Addendum: Auralynx just foolishly gave away that he is also rolling toward the mushroom. He won't arrive until the turn after next, and I get move priority on that turn, so I'll continue to hold back for now but may have to take that gamble assault soon.
    Addendum addendum: I forgot the random element to combat and how it favours higher levels. Mushroom now judged suicide at current power level. Auralynx will have to have it. Tribute x2 go. I'm very glad I'm the one collating the emails so I can make these last minute revelations.
    Turn 4:
    My minions fail at tribute once more, bringing no ghosts at all. But hang on, I've now picked up enough drips to raise my Martial Skill the traditional way! Progress at last, though I still think all the neutral PoPs near me are going to be gone before I can take a pop at them.
    Turn 5:
    If my tenuous understanding of combat is right then if the dice go in my favour I'll win the Northern PoP, but if they go badly then I should still survive and be able to finish the assault next turn. Fingers crossed... Southern PoP about to be lost so it's this or nothing.
    Turn 6:
    Success! And now all the prime real estate is gone I'm paranoid that I'm clearly the obvious target for the start of hostilities. Whilst Auralynx could wipe the floor with my malformed rabble some judicious combat card action will keep anyone else nearby at bay I think. Double tribute and ready to defy demands from anyone other than Aura. Saving to either up my Wrath for even better combat cards or get myself a decent Praetor. I'm also about to lose a 'large amount of prestige' as some bastard played an event asking everyone to give up an Artifact, Relic or Praetor to the Conclave, and I have none.
    Turn 7:
    All quiet. Looks like everyone is tributing up for now. Picked un an event that stops someone from casting rituals for a few turns. That will be very useful when I go to war. Double tribute again, I'm very close to upping my Charisma and with it my income.
    Turn 8:
    Nearly there! Just need one more flame. Tribute x2. In the time between turns I've had time to think re: military strategy. If anyone pushes me I'm not going to take it and will push back. If left to my own devices, getting a third order slot from wrath will be my queue to wage war on... Auralynx! I have turn advantage most of the time. He's used a lot of turns moving around and I think he might be over confident about the untouchability of his starting legion. It's a plan anyway.
    Turn 9:
    I just needed one flame... Everyone is suddenly shopping. Almost panic and buy the Praetor I want before it goes but stick with the plan. Just one flame...
    Turn 10:
    This is getting silly! Enough other tribute to snag the +1 Wrath artifact and still only be one flame short of my Charisma upgrade.
    Turn 11:
    Hurrah I can finally... wait, what's this? I need to spend another turn consolidating tribute cards to get them to fit into pledge tribute window? Graaaar!
    Turn 12:
    Finally! Only four turns later than expected, Charisma +1.
    Turn 13:
    Trying out the new improved tribute.
    Turn 14:
    Some bugger has caused my one PoP to rise against me! Was it Horseman? He does have first turn advantage this turn and this turn only, but then his legion is more than a single move away and needs beefing up. Surely it must have been him and he's miscalculated again? If I use one turn to beef up with a card and then move in nothing can go wrong, right? So walking in to trap...
    Turn 15:
    Nobody so much as blinked and I took it back without hassle. Not sure what to make of that. Random? Or somebody who thought they would benefit from delaying me a turn's worth of actions retaking my shit. Consolidate and tribute this turn. Slot artefact and raise Martial next turn. Extra order slot here I come!
    Turn 16: As planned... It's kicking off out there as well.
    Turn 17: Three order slots! Time to start mixing it up. Tribute x2 and use my new shiny slot to make demands of Aura as he's both nearby and distracted in another Vendetta.
    Turn 18: Hmm, Aura's vendetta is over already but he lost his main unit. I expect he'll therefore pony up the cards rather than risk war with me. Gambling on that I'll also demand from Kaorti below me as he is also about to enter a vendetta. Throwing my weight around fairly safely like this should hopefully convince people I have a combat ace up my sleeve which I don't really have. Would like to buy a Praetor but woefully short of tear resource at the moment having spent all mine on stat upgrades.
    Turn 19: Aura folded as expected, but Kaorti just wiped out Cap without loss. Apparently due to overwhelming hellfire from the skies. Going by that I expect him to refuse my demand expecting to pull the same trick. Good job I have the ritual banning event card waiting up my sleeve then! Mwahaha. Finally purchase a Praetor who adds to level allowing me to keep lots of slots for combat cards.
    Turn 20: As expected, Kaorti has taken the challenge. Now I can't decide if I just safely take one PoP from him or go for more. Wipe out his unit? Take two PoPs?! The latter is probably not possible in the turns available. Taking out his unit however may be doable as long as he doesn't play keep away. But then if he strikes back quickly after I take the PoP might pull a surprise attack before I get to combat card up. Let's keep it simple, just take the one PoP and be done with it. Also we have to vote on excommunicating Horseman. Going for keeping in as (a) it would be a bit mean to eliminate him so early, and (b) I think he's less of a thorn in my side kept under the control of the council. Plots are hatched to make run away lead Kaorti vote against the majority and lose some prestige.
    Turn 21: Well the voting plan worked. As did the plan to ban Kaorti's rituals. Chaaarge! The Conclave is asking for troops to send to war so I'll pick up a second legion at the bazaar to send off in my prime slaves' stead.
    Turn 22: Curse you Kaorti! He wiped out all diplomacy and cancelled my attack before I could march in and take the PoP I've spent so many resources prepping to take. Grrrrr. Diplomacy is entirely banned for a while so time to rake in the tribute I guess. Also call for troops to war against heaven. I buy a Legion to send away.
    Turn 23: Tribute. Horseman attempted to loot my vaults but I resisted (thanks to my perk at avatar creation?)
    Turn 24: Tribute. There are some tasty looking relics in the Bazaar but my minions never bring me enough hockey pucks.
    Turn 25: Diplomacy is back! All the relics I had my eye on get bought up... To be replaced with a +1 orders relic! Overbidding by 4 ghosts for that and hoping everyone just emptied their wallets. Also issuing demands to Quattror as I still fancy his mushroom. Demand on Kaorti would have to be made in a very specific phase as I only have one turn of going before him and suspect if he goes first my attacking forces would be nuked off the map before they got anywhere.
    Turn 26: I won! I do hope I outbid someone.
    Turn 27: Quattror rolled over. The turn to demand Kaorti is next turn so I'll keep it on the down low for this turn. Everyone else's legions return from the war victorious and beefed up. My legion does not return.
    Turn 28: Demand made, also picked up a relic that gains me prestige when slotted in a PoP as nobody has managed to steal Horseman's.
    Turn 29: The demands fly! Kaorti has demanded from Cap, I've demanded from Kaorti, and in a shock turn of events Farangu has demanded from me. Comfortable that I can take one of them but both could be a bit hairy. Ah well, death or glory. On the assumption that Cap will take on Kaorti, and Kaorti will not want a war on two fronts and thus cave to my demands, I'm going to refuse Farangu. Bring on the doom. I drop a beefy combat card on my lone PoP as insurance against shenanigans and buy a second legion.
    Turn 30: Well I'm in a war on two fronts. And I just noticed Farangu's flying guy can reach my PoP! Hope my recently crafted mega card can keep that safe. Craft more mega cards for both my legions and move them into positions. All these cards is costing me a lot of my tribute. This is so stressful! On the other hand if it goes well I'll be on 5 prestige a turn and can turtle up for a bit.
    Turn 31: Farangu claimed trial by Praetor combat which is entirely unexpected. On the one hand thrown me off entirely. On the other hand massive relief as I had become sure that he had some kind of trick up his sleeve and I was going to lose my PoP. If the worst happens now the most I'll lose is my legions. As I can't afford a second Praetor and Bune (my first one) is likely to be nuked off the map before the end of the round, I'll hold off on submitting a champion this turn. I'll try and pull Bune out after the fight and if he still lives next turn I have a scroll to beef up his defence and I'll send him in. Now to concentrate on the Kaorti war. Cap's attempt to assassinate his lone legion with an Angel fell frustratingly short so I now have that to contend with. I can definitely storm in with my super buffed legion next turn but if Kaorti thinks to counter charge I reckon he'll take it straight back. As such I've got my second legion ready to counter-counter charge which I think will work if it still lives!
    Turn 32: It worked! I lost my main unit but such is life sometimes. +5 Prestige a turn bitches. Also I can't train and send my Praetor off to fight on the same turn so screw it, for 10 prestige Farangu can have it. I got 7 from him for refusing his demand so it's pretty much a wash. With my main unit gone it's time to consolidate a bit. Popped an event last turn for a pile of tribute so this turn I put in the moves to raise my Prophecy via upgrade and artefact to the point where I'll get another turn slot.
    Turn 33: Well that's nice. Someone kills all tribute to rubbish levels just as I spend two order slots getting tribute. Still, next turn a new order slot! Demand a hex from Aura for a lark. If he gives it me it may make staging an assault on the mushroom later on a bit easier. If he refuses maybe I can give Praetor combat a whirl.
    Turn 34: Fire up a ritual to skim some prestige off the top of any diplomatic actions. Something to do. Train Bune in the hopes of gladiatorial combat next turn. Pile in the rubbish tribute orders as there's not much else I can do with the slots and an empty wallet.
    Turn 35: Aura ponied up the hex and it was the right one for attacking the Mushroom. Tribute, tribute, tribute. It may be getting rubbish returns at the moment but it's still the best use of my resources. Fling a lightning bolt at the angel who is bearing down on my newly reformed unit as it might get me some prestige. I have my eye on an artifact to add to both provide more prestige a turn and further buff up Bune into a champion to be feared.
    Turn 36: Cap has challenged Kaorti again. Throw the boot in myself in the hopes of trying out this Praetor combat thingy on him.
    Turn 37: I drew an event to remove an attribute point from everyone, just as I get an artifact that stops me losing attributes. MWAHAHAHA.
    Turn 39: Kaorti rolled over! Wuss. I was going to buff Bune up this turn, but given someone augried me last turn and I'm starting the flash the relics in public, I should probably use that ritual slot on starting up the Premonition defences. Time to start gearing up for war on Aura. I get to claim vendetta on him after the next demand whether he caves or not so it's time to take that mushroom.
    Turn 40: Lost a Legion to an event, boo. But then so did most people it seems. Assign a Praetor to my remaining troops that will let me put two combat cards on them. And I can make some scary combat cards. [Insert month long Christmas break here] Also make demands on Aura apparently? I'd set all my turns way back and am now trying to remember what I was doing with them. Who am I to doubt past me. That dude seemed like he had a plan.
    Turn 40: I've just realised how ahead I am on the prestige income game. I should probably stop taking risks and lay low for a while. Ah well, too late for that now as I await Aura's response! We were to the point of demanding an artefact from him so I expect he'll resist. Buff up my warriors with the best combat cards money can buy, move them in and hope for the best. Also use that ritual to buff up Bune as someone has called a gladiatorial combat for all players. Trial by fire!
    Turn 41: Plans continue. I have no idea what I'm doing with this Praetor combat stuff.
    Turn 42: Bune won! He's now super buff. Make the final move on Aura's mushroom (he seems to be making no attempts to defend it). Challenge Kaorti while I can. I can hopefully throw Praetor battles at him endlessly now to keep him under control.
    Turn 43: The mushroom is mine! The mushroom is mine! Definitely time to bunker down and revel in my massive prestige income now.
    Turn 44: Bid on a +1 order slot relic to help my bunkering. Train up Bune with a +attack scroll I came across. My plan now is to keep up a flow of demands being made from me backed up by the threat of duels with super-Bune, and thus avoid demands coming back in to me. Also start work on eating the souls for my gluttony objective. Yum, yum, yum.
    Turn 45: Let the bunkering down begin.
    Turn 46: Seems both Cap and think we have beefy Praetors, this could be fun.
    Turn 47: Or not, Cap's Praetor lost before I could fight him. Finished my gluttony objective so let's try out drawing a new secret one. What could go wrong?
    Turn 48: An objective to hold a PoP I already have? Okay then. Let's try that again.
    Turn 49: Bune wrecks face in a challenge. Secret objectives are less good. Take one to eat 20 cards, shouldn't be too bad as I've already met my gluttony goal.
    Turn 50: Bune continues to wreck face and keep everyone at bay. Keep on hunkering down.
    Turn 51 - 60: All other players have dropped to AI now. Finish out with a solid policy of holding on to what I have and beating up everyone in turn with Bune the super Praetor.
    VICTORY!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MVP Bune in his final stats glory.

lcilv5lnkzfn.png

He was a monster.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Fatigue kind of started to set in at about the point half of my units got wiped out between the angels and unfortunate placement. I really thought I'd lucked out at the start and could try to castle my way through and claim Sloth for the points at the end at first.

Glad to hear how it played out and to know that Quattror managed to slouch his way to third.

kshu0oba7xnr.png