As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Suicide Squad is so darn entertaining.

I might not even need to watch the finished product. I might be sated on all these little details alone.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It is such a train wreck from my armchair.

I can't believe they finally have a decent on screen comic batman and they're ruining it with this shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    In the comics, Bruce Wayne is set up for a murder and Batman figures out that he really can't prove his innocence without giving up his secret identity. So he bails on being Bruce Wayne. Batman is the real person, Wayne is the face he puts on in public.

Superman is Clark Kent is Superman. He's a completely different animal. He's Ma and Pa Kents' boy first, unstoppable alien superhero second.

This is why you can't treat Superman like Batman.

That, and Batman fights streetcrime while Superman fights hurricanes. This is something that seems very difficult for movie-types to grasp.

Bruce Wayne is the mask because he's a performance. Rarely is whatever Bruce is pretending to think or feel actually genuine.

In Arrow, both Oliver Queen and the Arrow are performances. Ollie is most genuine around Team Arrow when he is parts of both.

Neither Superman nor Clark Kent is a performance. As Clark he is pretending to not have superpowers, sure, but it is otherwise real.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    DC should make a Superman movie about this new thing with Superman I'm hearing about where he's been significantly de-powered. I've never really been interested in Superman at all, but seeing some preview pages showing how he's so fascinated with all of these new little things that he's never gotten to experience before or he's taken for granted are really interesting to me.

Like I didn't know that normal Superman was just never hungry. Did he even need to eat?

EDIT: Woah, what am I saying. A movie about how Sups gets to slow down and appreciate the little things in life and be happy or fascinated with them? That's definitely not dark enough for a DC film.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I think Clark would be happier without powers, so that he wouldn't feel compelled to use them for good.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I think Clark would be happier without powers, so that he wouldn't feel compelled to use them for good.

If you offered Clark the deal that he give up his powers but that anything bad he could have stopped if he had powers would still be stopped I think he'd be on board that in like five seconds flat. He'd go live a normal life and raise little Clark's and Lois's and be perfectly content.

I do not think that's the case for Batman.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    DC should make a Superman movie about this new thing with Superman I'm hearing about where he's been significantly de-powered. I've never really been interested in Superman at all, but seeing some preview pages showing how he's so fascinated with all of these new little things that he's never gotten to experience before or he's taken for granted are really interesting to me.

Like I didn't know that normal Superman was just never hungry. Did he even need to eat?

EDIT: Woah, what am I saying. A movie about how Sups gets to slow down and appreciate the little things in life and be happy or fascinated with them? That's definitely not dark enough for a DC film.

From what I remember, he gets energy from food but depletes it quickly if he starts using his powers.

His solar batteries are the last form of energy he uses as he burns through fat and shit. He can eat and enjoy it, but doesn't necessarily get that satiation that you and I would get.

Imagine if you could just chow down on bags and bags of Cheetos with no regard of your own health. They'd sort of lose their appeal after a bit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

If you offered Clark the deal that he give up his powers but that anything bad he could have stopped if he had powers would still be stopped I think he'd be on board that in like five seconds flat. He'd go live a normal life and raise little Clark's and Lois's and be perfectly content.

I do not think that's the case for Batman.

I doubt Clark would willingly give them up his powers, regardless of any guarantees, as that would be the same as not using them. But if he somehow permanently lost them from say, I don't know, Gold Kryptonite, he'd be all right with that.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

From what I remember, he gets energy from food but depletes it quickly if he starts using his powers.

His solar batteries are the last form of energy he uses as he burns through fat and shit. He can eat and enjoy it, but doesn't necessarily get that satiation that you and I would get.

Imagine if you could just chow down on bags and bags of Cheetos with no regard of your own health. They'd sort of lose their appeal after a bit.

You end up like those bodybuilders who have to eat so much they end up eating the same bland bland every day.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »

You end up like those bodybuilders who have to eat so much they end up eating the same bland bland every day.

I wonder if superman gets "hungry" under a yellow sun. Like there's no food in his stomach, does he just not require it if his cells have energy stores or does he get hungry like you and I?

That would suck if every time he used his powers he got hungry.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    And now you know how the Flash feels

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I wish I had Barry's metabolism. I eat a whole pizza I feel like a fat piece of shit. Stop metaboshaming me hero man!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The part I find most galling about SS is that when it comes out people will go to watch it just for batman.

This is closely followed by the fact that despite the photos making this look like a festering pile of crap it's almost assuredly going to make a shit ton of money.

Slightly behind that is that if it doesn't make north of $60 million the execs are going to blame the shortage of batman.

• Options
    More Batman would probably make it a better movie based on what I'm seeing so far.

We should just not have SS and just have batman I think.

• Options
    More Batman would probably make it a better movie based on what I'm seeing so far.

We should have a movie where a random mook just shoots bruce in the side of the head there by removing him permanently from the cinematic canon so that other characters who have never gotten a chance at development can actually get some exposure. Bonus points if they bring a completely new character in to try and take up his mantle several years down the road who isn't a perfect ubermensch.

Like, I would rather watch a movie about any of the d-list characters from The Super Friends then one more movie with batman in it. Characters like Black Vulcan, Samurai, The wonder twins (with there blue space monkey gleek) and apache chief (who grows to a huge size when he yells about inuit sculptures).

Because batman is a character who has had in the last 26 years 4 animated series he headlined, 2 justice league series where he was prominent, 7 live action movies, 15 dedicated animated movies and 11 JL ones where he features prominently. There is no ground left to cover with this guy, no stories left to tell, no corners to his personality or psyche that haven't been done at least twice by this point.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

We should have a movie where a random mook just shoots bruce in the side of the head there by removing him permanently from the cinematic canon so that other characters who have never gotten a chance at development can actually get some exposure. Bonus points if they bring a completely new character in to try and take up his mantle several years down the road who isn't a perfect ubermensch.

Terry McGennis?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

Terry McGennis?

Yup.

• Options
    I'd definitely see a movie with Terry and an old dickhead bruce wayne.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd definitely see a movie with Terry and an old dickhead bruce wayne.

We almost got one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If Batman Begins hadn't been a success, WB might have made a Batman Beyond film and a Justice League directed by George Miller.

• Options
    If Batman Begins hadn't been a success, WB might have made a Batman Beyond film and a Justice League directed by George Miller.

Why must you say these things that hurt me so.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Justice League movie was going to happen, but the writer's strike killed it and they decided to move on with Green Lantern and Superman.

• Options
    They were pretty close to making the Justice League movie. They had a cast. They had a script. They had lots of concept art. They even got the cast together. They were far enough into it that the writer strike alone might not have been the sole reason why it was canceled.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    They were pretty close to making the Justice League movie. They had a cast. They had a script. They had lots of concept art. They even got the cast together. They were far enough into it that the writer strike alone might not have been the sole reason why it was canceled.

They had costumes made, locations approved and were days from starting shooting before it got canceled.

• Options
    I'm wondering if in light of how good Fury road has done WB regrets that decision.

• Options
    I'm wondering if in light of how good Fury road has done WB regrets that decision.

That's why I'm curious to see if they'll want Miller to direct their new Justice League movie.

• Options
    Fury Road was distributed by WB. So WB has a working relationship with George Miller and they can hire him for a DC film. I think Miller would be great for a Jonah Hex movie.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Fury Road was distributed by WB. So WB has a working relationship with George Miller and they can hire him for a DC film. I think Miller would be great for a Jonah Hex movie.

Too soon after the catastrophe that was the last Jonah Hex movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey, they're making a sequel to MoS aren't they?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Hey, they're making a sequel to MoS aren't they?

Technically they're not - I don't know why B v S doesn't count to WB but what can you do? It's telling in the scheduling there aren't any new MOS sequels planned for Superman.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Wait, what? When did that happen?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Couple years back.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

2010?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex_(film)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

2010?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex_(film)

...now I'm sorry I asked.

EDIT: And they opened the same day as Toy Story 3. Just... damn.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "Should we see the movie with the ugly cowboy, or Jonah Hex?"

• Options
    Funny story about Jonah hex.

In the same week that it came out, there was also the last airbender and predators.

Not in a hundread years could I have predicted that predators would be head and shoulders better then the other two.

• Options
    Last Airbender being directed by Shyamalan wasn't exactly a secret. Although, I don't think anyone could have predicted that it was going to be that bad.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Last Airbender being directed by Shyamalan wasn't exactly a secret. Although, I don't think anyone could have predicted that it was going to be that bad.

Yeah, we all thought "surely Nick will reign him in a bit, right?"

Nope.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It always baffled me the career he built when his only half decent movie was basically a ripped off episode of Goosebumps

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I liked Unbreakable.

This discussion has been closed.