As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sounds a little bit like what the comic Fables did with regards to the characters (Cinderella was the best spy ever because she's so popular she can recover quickly from wounds because of her notoriety, that one side supporting character isn't so lucky).

There is that really good JLA story, Golden Perfect, that would make a good Justice League movie about the whole idea of reality vs perception. It basically has everything you need for a big story. But that's from the not kewl DCU, total L7 weenies.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    There's just so much you can do with how myths have evolved in real life. We have a tendency to treat myths, legends, and religions as if they're coherent narratives shaped by an author with a single vision in mind, when in reality, they're amalgamations of countless different stories and experiences. When different cultures mingle, their myths get mixed up too. Different heroes and gods get mashed together. Adventures from one myth get mixed into other myths. Each successive generation adds or subtracts from the stories they were told. Different towns/villages/cities have different versions of the same myth with local folklore mixed in. Every story changes in the retelling based on the experiences of the storyteller and the audience.

When you combine that with the idea of the gods being actual beings, there are all sorts of subjects surrounding myth and religion that you can tackle in interesting ways. For example, you can deal with how myths and religions were used for political gain. The reason why Zeus has so many bastard children is because different cultures/people added their own legends to the mythology of Zeus in order to use the myth for propaganda. People would claim that their ancestors/former kings/folk heroes were children of Zeus so that means they had divine blood and that gave them the right to conquer or rule. How does that reflect upon the real Zeus when people used his myth like that and suddenly he had bastard children popping out everywhere? It would be kind of like if George Washington or Abraham Lincoln were gods and the way people used them to justify/promote their personal political beliefs directly affected how what kind of gods they became.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I haven't read Azz's run on WW, but I remember really liking Rucka's take on the Greek Pantheon; it'd be a good update for them if they were in a Wonder Woman movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Because we need some hope for theatrical DC stuff: The Lego Batman movie sounds like it will be freaking awesome (as if the input of the guys behind The Lego Movie didn't already guarantee that):
    "Rest assured that every era of Batman filmmaking will be acknowledged. There have been so many interpretations of Batman and there is so much to play with there. There are 40 versions of his origin story alone."

87061.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Because we need some hope for theatrical DC stuff: The Lego Batman movie sounds like it will be freaking awesome (as if the input of the guys behind The Lego Movie didn't already guarantee that):
    "Rest assured that every era of Batman filmmaking will be acknowledged. There have been so many interpretations of Batman and there is so much to play with there. There are 40 versions of his origin story alone."

87061.jpg

I hope they show multiple versions of the story of his parents being killed.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Rest assured that every era of Batman filmmaking will be acknowledged.

This can be done well. The better idea though would be to just take what was good and ignore everything else.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Rest assured that every era of Batman filmmaking will be acknowledged.

This can be done well. The better idea though would be to just take what was good and ignore everything else.

I will not be satisfied unless I see nipples on the Batsuit. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    It's going to be 15 bat guys arguing with each other about who is the "real" Batman. Could be hilarious for about five minutes.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I hope they show multiple versions of the story of his parents being killed.
    Batshomon. Possibly with Toshiro Mifune as Joe Chill.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    It seems Maclaren is confirmed as WW director by the Hollywood Reporter, and will also help Snyder and Co with the screenplay.

Eh. This is where I wonder just how much fiat Snyder will have over everything and whether she actually stays onboard or leaves like Edgar Wright or Patty Jenkins.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Every day that snyder is in a position of any authority in film making as anything other then a PA wrangler I know that there is no god.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yay, they're one step closer to making a Wonder Woman movie than they were back in 2007.

*kazoo noise*

sig.gif
  • Options
    On the one hand, this is totally a ham-handed mandate from the studio execs.

On the other, she seems to be talented and we need more women directing big movies. So this ham-handed mandate actually worked out.

If only we had a better Wonder Woman...

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    They should have stuck with Adrienne Palicki.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Wonder Woman makes me nervous because it's a franchise that actually could, in the right hands, be an awesome stand alone franchise. Like there is so much you can do with all the crazy greek mythology stuff, but alas, we'll see.....

Snyder being involved in any form or fashion doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence.

• Options
    They don't really even need to follow any of the myths with the Greek gods. Thor made the Norse gods into ancient astronaut aliens that happened to visit earth once in a while and the myths surrounding them were mostly made up stories vaguely based on some real stuff.

Zeus doesn't have to have a rapist with a bunch of bastard children and Hera doesn't have to be jealous and vengeful. Ares doesn't have to be a bloodthirsty coward. The Amazons don't have to be savage and enslave men. All the myths could just be a reflection of human flaws far removed from the gods that inspired them.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    They don't really even need to follow any of the myths with the Greek gods. Thor made the Norse gods into ancient astronaut aliens that happened to visit earth once in a while and the myths surrounding them were mostly made up stories vaguely based on some real stuff.

Zeus doesn't have to have a rapist with a bunch of bastard children and Hera doesn't have to be jealous and vengeful. Ares doesn't have to be a bloodthirsty coward. The Amazons don't have to be savage and enslave men. All the myths could just be a reflection of human flaws far removed from the gods that inspired them.

Exactly. Frankly, I find it puzzling why people think Wonder Woman needs to interact with the Greek Gods and Amazons from real myth when the comics produced their own versions all the damn time. Not that they can't be influences by the myths, Hiddleston's Loki was in the MCU, but Wonder Woman isn't working for scratch on those ideas here.

edit: I do find it funny how many people think the Asgardians in the MCU are shape-shifters.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Seriously. She has a physical presence that really would have worked well.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Thor was turned into Stargate: Marvel Edition.

I was more than ok with that.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    It would be so great if the Kree were driven from earth by the Asgardians and the Nine Realms are watched over by Asgard under the Protected Planets Treaty.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

Seriously. She has a physical presence that really would have worked well.

I'm loving her in SHIELD. Also, she made me realise how damn short the rest of the cast is.

But back on topic, yes she would have made a good WW.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I kind of like Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif) as the forerunner for Wonder Woman.

I think she would have been perfect for the role.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I agree. Jaimie Alexander is the perfect Wonder Woman. Unfortunately Marvel found her first. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I agree. Jaimie Alexander is the perfect Wonder Woman. Unfortunately Marvel found her first. :P

There's no reason that could have stopped them. I mean, Ryan Reynolds is Green Lantern and Deadpool.

• Options

There's no reason that could have stopped them. I mean, Ryan Reynolds is Green Lantern and Deadpool.

True, but then again, there is a huge difference between Ryan Reynolds roles and Jaimie Alexander's role in the Thor franchise. Something tells me that Marvel wouldn't be too happy with her in a role that is so similar to the one she is playing in theirs.

Also, Reynolds has been in a lot of really crappy comic movies. It's too bad because I actually really like him as an actor, but god his quality ratio is terrible.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

Hollywood Studios do fuck with each other occasionally. A reason Blunt wasn't Black Widow was because Fox refused to clear her schedule.

• Options
    Meet the DCCU's Suicide Squad

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/388379-its-official-meet-the-cast-of-dc-comics-suicide-squad

Hancockposter.jpg

Deadshot

movies_the_dark_knight_rises_poster_d.jpg

Bane Rick Flagg

margotrobbie__140119031931-e1390101596136.jpg

Harley Quinn

250px-AngelFace_01.jpg

Joker

spartacus-blood-sand5.jpg

Boomerang

cara-delevingne__140424221327.jpg

Enchantress

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

yeah, that one is a surprise to say the least. i really think this one is either going to be absolutely amazing or a complete train wreck. no inbetween, one or the other. be interesting to see which end of the spectrum it lands.
    of course, as usual, this is all dependant on the movie actually being made and making it to theatres.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

yeah, that one is a surprise to say the least. i really think this one is either going to be absolutely amazing or a complete train wreck. no inbetween, one or the other. be interesting to see which end of the spectrum it lands.
    of course, as usual, this is all dependant on the movie actually being made and making it to theatres.
    It's gotten further than any Wonder Woman movie has.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Jared Leto as joker hahahahah.

Oh well, hopefully Ayer is smart and won't use him much.

also why does jai courtney keep getting work? what shit does he have on people in hollywood?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    to be fair the latest attempt at a Wonder Woman movie has a star and a director, so there's hope there yet. does it had a script yet? i know there was the rumoured outline for a series of WW films, but is there anything more than that that we know of?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    to be fair the latest attempt at a Wonder Woman movie has a star and a director, so there's hope there yet. does it had a script yet? i know there was the rumoured outline for a series of WW films, but is there anything more than that that we know of?

That's a tiny bit more than previous attempts. Still, it isn't that difficult to get a movie further into production than the last attempts for her's. Though I give Snyder's better chances since she's actually been cast and her first appearance is in a movie he's making right now. It's sad that Suicide Squad's getting made faster with less time then hers has. I don't know why they prioritize SS over a Wonder Woman solo movie next after Batman vs Superman.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    The chick playing Enchantress doesn't look like an Enchantress kind of lady (flip her with Robbie, really)

Boomerang is the guy who was John MacClane's son in Die Hard 5, which is ehhhh. But he is Australian (kind of wanted an American to steal that role just to show them all how it feels, huh? huh?)

Smith as Deadshot is a surprise. I can sort of see it, just can't see him being Deadshot kind of cool shooting smart aleck as opposed to Will Smith smart aleck; can't believe Statham didn't want to do it or something.

Hardy as Rick Flagg (see? Stealing American roles!) is a good choice.

Leto as Joker, that's all dependent on how small his role is, probably not very considering they got Leto.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I think Smith could do a good Deadshot. He can manage cold but professional well enough.

I'm not really familiar with the rest though.

Though if the writing is anything like Man of Steel it won't matter much.

Quid on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    People laughed at Heath Ledger playing the joker too

i'm not saying he'll be the same, but I can see Leto doing it

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    People laughed at Heath Ledger playing the joker too

i'm not saying he'll be the same, but I can see Leto doing it

That's not going to be easy for any actor in his position.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't even know why they'd put the joker in it, I swear he's not normally associated with the suicide squad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't even know why they'd put the joker in it, I swear he's not normally associated with the suicide squad.

Probably to give people who are unfamiliar with SS a familiar face.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
This discussion has been closed.