As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    The satellite they thrashed had the name "Wayne" on it, just like they had Luthor Corps on the trucks. They must have had something in mind.

Yeeeeah, but I'd put an easter egg like that on the same level as Adam Warlock's cocoon appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't really expect him to show up in a future film, since Vision kinda fills his role, but it was a nice little reference.

Or y'know, the Blaze Comics sign was in Man of Steel. Where's Booster Gold in BvS? He got the same amount of setup as Batman! ;P

(I guess there's still time for them to cram him the fuck in there along with everyone else...)

Oh brilliant
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis post-MoS. Apparently
    Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally
    It was his parents.

Wait
    does that mean that Bruce Wayne's parents are deeeaaaaddddd?

Thanks to the film geniuses at WB, the beloved meme will finally make it's long awaited silver screen appearance.
    2943940581_9f81a1c70d.jpg

SPOILER ALERT; Robin is also, somehow, in the movie.
    im pretty sure one of the set leaks was a picture of either tim drake or dick grayson's tombstone

Lh96QHG.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis post-MoS. Apparently
    Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally
    It was his parents.

Wait

No
    The fight killed the mugger bruce hired to kill his parents and he totally can't get his deposit back from rent-a-thug so he's super pissed. Also; his parents are allliiiiivvvveeee![/

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    If the whole movie is about backlash against Superman and his actions in the last movie then I'm curious why there's even a statue of him in the first place.

So it could dramatically be painted 'Who Watches the Watchmen?' 'False God'

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    It was his parents.

Wait

Thanks to the film geniuses at WB, the beloved meme will finally make it's long awaited silver screen appearance.

im pretty sure one of the set leaks was a picture of either tim drake or dick grayson's tombstone
    Since this is basically The Dark Knight Returns: The Motion Picture, it will be Carrie Kelley.

kyrcl.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If the army can't stop an alien monster on the way into Metropolis, I'm sure they'd evacuate the city.

All buildings were empty. That subway train was empty. All those people in the streets were androids.

The people in the streets were the staff of the daily planet, who specifically refused to evacuate with everyone else. We know this because there was this scene in he daily planet building with fishbbourne et al where they explicitly told it to our faces.

wbBv3fj.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    If the army can't stop an alien monster on the way into Metropolis, I'm sure they'd evacuate the city.

All buildings were empty. That subway train was empty. All those people in the streets were androids.

The people in the streets were the staff of the daily planet, who specifically refused to evacuate with everyone else. We know this because there was this scene in he daily planet building with fishbbourne et al where they explicitly told it to our faces.

Actually, that was Snyder's attempt to put an emotional face on the danger but failing because Jenny Olson had exactly ten seconds of previous screen time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Adamantium is Adam Ant.

1e9cae6e8305aaf14dc85ecb20043411.jpg

Stand and deliver, bub.

You may not believe it, but I've been saying this for years.
    Quid wrote: »
    If the whole movie is about backlash against Superman and his actions in the last movie then I'm curious why there's even a statue of him in the first place.

Well...not that I've got a dog in this fight either way, but I could conjure up a few reasons someone might set up a Superman statue.

Hell, I could easily imagine Luthor making an 'anonymous donation' of the statue to aggravate the issue and use it make people hate Superman more.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually, that was Snyder's attempt to put an emotional face on the danger but failing because Jenny Olson had exactly ten seconds of previous screen time.

Regardless, saying "all those people" is dumb because they flat out told you to your face that the city evacuated.

wbBv3fj.png

Regardless, saying "all those people" is dumb because they flat out told you to your face that the city evacuated.

Though in movies, you're supposed to show, not tell.

They also showed. They go through the buildings and no one is in them. There are scenes in the offices which are empty.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited May 2015
    They also showed. They go through the buildings and no one is in them. There are scenes in the offices which are empty.

Which isn't the same as showing at least brief scenes where people go through rushed evacuations. I gave MoS my full attention, but after the Metropolis battle my feeling was "did I just watch the implied deaths of hundreds of thousands of people?"

Meanwhile, the latest Avengers spent like a quarter of the movie showing people getting evacuated.

Edit: Also, if the city was evacuated, how did Zod manage to find those people to threaten? They were just standing around, they didn't seem like they were trying to get the hell out of Dodge.

cloudeagle on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Which isn't the same as showing at least brief scenes where people go through rushed evacuations. I gave MoS my full attention, but after the Metropolis battle my feeling was "did I just watch the implied deaths of hundreds of thousands of people?"

Meanwhile, the latest Avengers spent like a quarter of the movie showing people getting evacuated.

Edit: Also, if the city was evacuated, how did Zod manage to find those people to threaten? They were just standing around, they didn't seem like they were trying to get the hell out of Dodge.

It was a train station. They were waiting for the next train to evacuate.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah, or, they just arrived from a train and didn't know Superman was wrecking everything.

"Wait... Super... Who?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Literally 4 people in grand central station and you're like "oh my goodness the city is full of people!"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Literally 4 people in grand central station and you're like "oh my goodness the city is full of people!"

They're not going to show Metropolis streets filled with corpses in a Superman movie.

edited May 2015

They're not going to show Metropolis streets filled with corpses in a Superman movie.
    And because they didn't we clearly know it was filled with them?

Edit: I mean sure they didn't go out of their way to show that the people shooting at the hulk didn't die or that the people whose car the hulk ripped in half with them inside it and then pounded on didn't die. But they shouldn't have to. They didn't in superman v doomsday. They didn't in superman v thanos in TAS. They did more to establish an empty city in MoS than in any other superman feature or animated show ever.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I'm okay if hundreds of people got killed off in MoS, why, BECAUSE ITS A MOVIE. It sets a narrative going forward that when you get two Alpha level beings fighting, that there is going to be considerable damage, and that not everyone is going to live. Plus, I think that Zod at that point was like a raging bull, he just wanted to destroy everything. He wasn't going to just let Superman toss him outside of the city, he would actively be trying to fight back.

I think that if we had gotten some closure at the end of the movie, instead of that stupid military spy crap, I don't think that people would have been freaking out that much. A small scene with Superman surveying the enormity of the damage, and reacting to it would have been so much better.

edited May 2015

And because they didn't we clearly know it was filled with them?

We didn't see every inch of Metropolis and there was debris everywhere. In the start of the anti-gravity attack we see hundreds of people and cars in traffic getting lifted into the air then fall repeatedly - where did their corpses go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wukyrxavkJo
    Edit: I mean sure they didn't go out of their way to show that the people shooting at the hulk didn't die or that the people whose car the hulk ripped in half with them inside it and then pounded on didn't die. But they shouldn't have to. They didn't in superman v doomsday. They didn't in superman v thanos in TAS. They did more to establish an empty city in MoS than in any other superman feature or animated show ever.

The fight scenes with those characters are shown to be very dangerous, and that every life nearby is in danger and it is implied the police in that car Hulk ripped up died. Marvel didn't shy away from that completely, despite having that same limitation. That's why their movies put effort in their heroes protecting civilians, they openly acknowledge how dangerous the situation is - MOS didn't. Are you comparing live action movies to cartoons? Different standards, bro. MOS didn't do as much as any Superman production. Have you forgotten "Clash" where Superman fought Captain Marvel in Luthor's empty city?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJ1-trrgqc

Superman's previous movies had him protect civilians, and when they fought he wasn't in a life and death struggle in MOS slamming into buildings in brawls.

It's laughable how Thor is better at protecting civilians in the MCU then Superman is in MOS. And Iron Man.

Harry Dresden on
    You mean when superman was on the other side of the world?

wbBv3fj.png
    You mean when superman was on the other side of the world?

I wasn't blaming Superman for those deaths, I was explaining that even if he did everything right there'd be mass casualties in Metropolis. And yet despite what we saw on screen we never see the consequences in the aftermath. They're not even mentioned by anyone. Because they're not going to show corpses in a Superman movie.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    I'm okay if hundreds of people got killed off in MoS, why, BECAUSE ITS A MOVIE. It sets a narrative going forward that when you get two Alpha level beings fighting, that there is going to be considerable damage, and that not everyone is going to live. Plus, I think that Zod at that point was like a raging bull, he just wanted to destroy everything. He wasn't going to just let Superman toss him outside of the city, he would actively be trying to fight back.

Zodd was pissed enough at supes that he would have run to the moon to fight him if that's where clark had decided to take it.

Gaddez wrote: »
    Invectivus wrote: »

Zodd was pissed enough at supes that he would have run to the moon to fight him if that's where clark had decided to take it.

They're slaves to the whims of the writer and director. If Snyder and Goyer wanted another solution to Zod they'd have written it. They didn't.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Avengers did 3 great things to allow them to show otherwise wanton destruction.

1: Cap's spiel where he "calls it" and lays down the game plan. The section of the city they're in is probably a lost cause, so keep the fight there. I particularly like Iron Man's orders. "Anything gets more than 3 blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

2: Cap again with him giving the police orders on how best to evacuate everybody.

3: Brief shots here and there of people getting the fuck out.

And boom. You just justified being able to show your heroes smacking shit through buildings all you want.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    In other news, you'll never guess which character shows up in Suicide Squad.

It was probably inevitable, but man. Couldn't we have spaced SS out from BvS by a few movies so that would be an awesome reveal?

• FoolOnTheHillFoolOnTheHill PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    And even more importantly, you showed them acting like heroes. In a super fashion, even.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

It was probably inevitable, but man. Couldn't we have spaced SS out from BvS by a few movies so that would be an awesome reveal?

I'm willing to bet that the movie opens with Batman going after Joker and but only getting Harley. I wonder of they'll write Batman out or if he just fucks off.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    "Whelp, my cameo is done. No need to go after the Joker any longer!"

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Voldemort turning up in Suicide Squad would be a cool twist. And look, Warner Brothers has the rights!

Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Joker's not in the group shot, is he? Might escape, Batman leaves along with him.

Oh brilliant
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Of course the Joker has purple neons.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought we knew Batman was going to cameo ages ago.

Like I distinctly remember talk of Affleck being on set or something.

Looking into it, I guess that was just a rumor at the time.

I think we all just assumed, since the unspoken prefix of all DC movies seems to be Batman And/Or/Vs.

Oh brilliant
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It was his parents.

Wait

That actually makes sense. WB/DC doesn't want to confuse the audience since they already have a
    grey sun.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Joker's not in the group shot, is he? Might escape, Batman leaves along with him.

I'm betting that the Batmobile lost its wheel and the Joker got away. :rotate:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think we all just assumed, since the unspoken prefix of all DC movies seems to be Batman And/--Or--/Vs.

Batman or Superman is a hilarious idea. Minimalist trailers, just shots of everything other than the hero so the audience has to guess. Who's going to save the day? Buy your ticket now and find out!

Bobble on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I think we all just assumed, since the unspoken prefix of all DC movies seems to be Batman And/--Or--/Vs.

Batman or Superman is a hilarious idea. Minimalist trailers, just shots of everything other than the hero so the audience has to guess. Who's going to save the day? Buy your ticket now and find out!

"Aww, shoot! It's Superman." :bigfrown:

kyrcl.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It was his parents.

Wait

Aren't Robin's parents also dead?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bobble wrote: »

I'd like to see it done as Waiting For Godot, but in reverse.

Bunch of guys standing around speculating about when Batman is going to finally go away. In the end, they find that Batman is still around, and won't be leaving today. They conclude that maybe he'll go away tomorrow.

fin

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    It was his parents.

Wait

Since this is basically The Dark Knight Returns: The Motion Picture, it will be Carrie Kelley.
    I really doubt Goyer of all people is going to write a female Robin into this movie. He probably didn't even want Wonder Woman there.
    Mortious wrote: »
    It was his parents.

Wait

Aren't Robin's parents also dead?
    Depends on the Robin.

Dick's parents were killed as part of his origin.
    Tim's parents were killed (seperately) after he became Robin.
    Jason's parents abandoned him, but his mother never died, I think.
    Stephanie's Dad is dead, but her mother is still alive, at least Pre-Nu52. No idea how either of them shook out as a part of that.
    Carrie's parents... I have no idea.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.