As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Es la hora de ORAS

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man, that Ditto and my Japanese Charizard are going at it like bunnies. I get one egg every 10 or 15 seconds.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I very, very nearly bought Alpha Sapphire just now. Checking the forums, though, I realized I could just get great pokemon traded to me by you guys, which seems like it would mentally ruin the achievement of finding them in game. How has that impacted things? When I had to physically hook my game boy to someone else's to get a pokemon, and therefore very rarely did it, finding a new pokemon was amazing. Now you can kind of just ask someone for one, right?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Yes, you can just ask someone for a Pokemon and they will probably give it to you. With the advent of breeding in GS, most Pokemon aren't really hard to come by anymore.

However, finding them on your own in-game can still be fun, for some of them you must really hunt them down. ORAS in particular do a good job of making this engaging and letting you know that there are still things to be found, though the real meat of it doesn't open up until late game (you are initially restricted to Pokemon available in Ruby/Sapphire because it is a remake of these games, Pokemon from newer games appear after a significant event). Additionally, there are still version exclusives that you must trade for, and because there are a lot more Pokemon, getting every Pokemon is still a fairly daunting feat despite the ease of finding a trading partner.

Not to mention, the game has expanded quite a bit from the days of simply catching them all, and there is a gratuitously expanded emphasis on competitive battling. There are rather frequent themed tournaments where you can pit your Pokemon against players around the world, random online battles whenever you feel like it, and a post-game area where you see how many hard AI opponents you can beat in a row.

Ultimately, though, if you found the magic of the game to be in the link cable, you're probably better off skipping the newer titles.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Imo, look at it this way. If you've been out of the loop for awhile, it doesn't matter that any of us can give you pokemon when you ask for it because you don't know what to ask for in the first place. You probably won't know pokemon____ exists until you've met and discovered the pokemon in the game for yourself.

You'll still get that sense of discovering new things as you play through the game and collect the gym badges on your journey to become the pokemon champion .

If you decide that you want to own one of the new pokemon personally for your team, then we can help set you up once you know what you are looking for.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    As an old that just got X, I've been using trades to get some Pokes beyond my reach like version exclusives or something with an Ability I want. Its not a shortcut IMO. Feels more communal ;p

I really like the Wonder Trade function too. Its a blind trade, completely random. Since I only really know the first gen pokes, there is a high likelihood that every time I pull that Wonder Trade slot machine, some weird new alien poke will show up.

The fuck is a Tropius?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Of course having someone dump all 719 pokémons on you via trade would be unfun, borderline cheating and mindnumbingly tedious...
    but there are several individual pokémons that are version exclusive, and several that depend on blind luck (Specific Friend Safaris on XY and Mirage areas on ORAS), not to mention a good deal of trade-evolutions.
    So you just cannot possibly catch them all with just one game. You'd need at least 3 of the 4 current gen games, two 3DS system for trading and a nice bit of luck.

Therefore, yeah, you're gonna be trading and asking for a few specific pokés now and then.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    As an old that just got X, I've been using trades to get some Pokes beyond my reach like version exclusives or something with an Ability I want. Its not a shortcut IMO. Feels more communal ;p

I really like the Wonder Trade function too. Its a blind trade, completely random. Since I only really know the first gen pokes, there is a high likelihood that every time I pull that Wonder Trade slot machine, some weird new alien poke will show up.

The fuck is a Tropius?

I love Wonder Trade; I've gotten pokemon with near perfect IVs, hidden abilities, Pokerus, and egg moves that I likely would have never gotten on my own. I even got a Xerneas, a shiny Totodile, a Destiny Knot, and an Ability Capsule thanks to it.

Also, Tropius is proof that the Pokemon designers are geniuses. I guarantee you no one else before in human history had ever drawn a flying brachiosaurus/banana tree hybrid.

• Options
    I just bred a Mega Beedrill and absolutely love him. Now all I need is Mega Vespiquen and some kind of bug/dark house fly Pokemon (seriously, Nintendo, how was Pokemon #666 a bug-type that isn't a fly?).

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    http://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-devs-on-mega-evolutions/#more-199517
    This month’s issue of Nintendo Dream has a lengthy interview with some of the folks responsible for the Pokemon games. The magazine chatted with Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire director Shigeru Ohmori, Ken Sugimori (art director), Shigeki Morimoto (battle director), Kazumasa Iwao (game designer).

Some of the most interesting comments came about when the interview focused on the topic of Mega Evolutions. Nintendo Dream asked about things like criteria for Mega Evolutions, why Slowbro was chosen to go through the process rather than Slowking, and more.

ND: Was there some kind of selection criteria for new Mega Evolutions?

Ohmori: There were some criteria, but we started by handling Pokemon that we wanted to Mega Evolve for the needs of the story. Like organization leaders’ Pokemon such as Maxie’s Camerupt and Archie’s Sharpedo. Others were chosen while considering things like popularity and battle balance.

ND: Do you create a Mega Evolution by making the design first? Or are there cases when you wanted some ability for a Pokemon and created a Mega Evolution from that?

Ohmori: There are many Mega Evolutions for which the design was a priority. It differs from creating a Pokemon from scratch as you expand the existent design.

Sugimori: However, not every Mega Evolution got its abilities from its design. There isn’t a fixed procedure and each case is different.

Morimoto: There are also cases when we wanted increase things like attack or speed with a Mega Evolution. Those were decided first and it affected the design.

ND: There are many Normal/Flying types in the Kanto region, but out of those only Pidgeot was chosen to Mega Evolve.

Ohmori: Pidgeot is one of the Pokemon that the rival sends out in Pokemon Red and Blue, so it’s a very popular Pokemon. We wanted to give Pidgeot some spotlight one more time, so that’s why it Mega Evolves.

Sugimori: We wanted to create a great variety of Mega Evolutions, rather than making two similar ones.

Ohmori: There is quite a bit of trouble in creating a design for a Pokemon (strained laugh).

Sugimori: For example, there are Pokemon that were rejected as a Mega Evolution candidate because it’s like they couldn’t evolve any further design-wise.

ND: It feels like Mega Salamance is pretty strong even among new Mega Evolutions.

Ohmori: Although Mega Salamence was created by giving priority to the design, the designer was told to work within an image of “tough and fast”.

Sugimori: The shape of Salamence’s wings is a characteristic of the Pokemon, but for Mega Evolution, they were given a more interesting meaning.

ND: “Tough and fast” was also materialized in that, right?

Morimoto: When it comes to the battle system, having the same speed as Mega Kangaskhan wouldn’t be interesting, so we wanted to create differences by having some differing attributes.

Iwao: Speed was raised due to the thought “when the shape of wings change, Salamence can control its speed freely”. Mega Salamence hides its front legs inside the armored part of the body, which gives an impression of toughness and raised defense. When a small kid sees a glance of Pokemon like Dragonite or Tyranitar, the first thought is “I would win if I used this strong Pokemon”. Having an image that is easy to understand was also important for Mega Salamence.

ND: The speed of Metagross is boosted drastically with a Mega Evolution. What was the reason to prioritize speed?

Iwao: We considered simply boosting attack more or giving a Levitate ability as the Pokemon floats midair, but we decided on raising speed as that broadens battle strategies.

ND: Why does Slowbro Mega Evolve instead of Slowking?

Ohmori: “Wouldn’t it be interesting if a Shellder was biting Slowbro’s body and not just the tail?” That idea came up when discussing with designers, so Slowbro’s design was extended.

Sugimori: We wanted to have a reverse framework for a Mega Evolution. Isn’t an appearance which looks like being almost eaten just that? (laughs)

Ohmori: Slowbro was more suitable for that purpose than Slowking.

Iwao: The situation is similar to Cloyster. I wanted Mega Slowbro to have a similar stamina as Cloyster, so that’s why defense was boosted.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    The new stages are proving to be quite a challenge even though I've got level 8's and 9's filling out the support roles.
    Also, fuck Regirock...gonna have to experiment with a few different combos to take it down.
    Trying everything for a week before I start using items.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Pokemon Shuffle doesn't affect XY or ORAS, right? Because I've been ignoring them so far for that reason.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Pokemon Shuffle doesn't affect XY or ORAS, right? Because I've been ignoring them so far for that reason.

has no relation

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So is anyone doing anything for that PGL little cup event this weekend?

I kind of want to have a choice scarfed refrigerate Amaura on my team to spam hyper voice because it is just so adorable, but it looks like scyther and sneasel will be the big contenders in the event.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I think I will. It'll be fun to smash things with a Meditite.

Umm, I can use Tangela for little cup, right?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    You should be able to, thanks to Tangrowth being a thing.

Also, the event is supposed to scale pokemon to level 5, so you should be free to level your pokemon above 5 as you learn moves and EV train.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Speaking of Sneasel... I bred a bunch of Pokemon over the last week. I hit a stride or something, and some of them I got really lucky with the statistics, and most of the egg-moves were sitting in my lap from wonder trade, so production was quick. Lopunny (Mega Lopunny is REALLY fun to use, I love Scrappy), Weezing, Pawniard, Sneasel. More details under the spoiler for anyone interested. As always, PM me if something catches your eye.
    Pawniard- Adamant, Defiant. Comes in Sucker Punch and Stealth Rock/Quick Guard/Pursuit/Sucker Punch varieties.

Sneasel- Jolly. Comes with Taunt, Icicle Crash, Fake Out, Ice Shard.

Koffing- Bold. Comes with Pain Split, Swallow, Stockpile, Toxic Spikes.

Buneary- Jolly. Comes with Low Kick, Switcheroo, Encore, Fake Out.

I regrettably haven't been checking the PGL as of late...I need to get back in the habit. I've mentioned it before, but I really wish they expanded its presence into a smart-phone app of sorts. But a Little Cup sounds fun. Also, registration is this weekend, the event is NEXT weekend. Note- no Eviolite, which is a bit of a pity but also understandable.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The Mega Lucario event is back in Pokemon Shuffle, so you've got another chance to get the Lucarionite. If you got it in the previous event already and are among the top players again this time, you get two jewels as a reward.

There are also new daily Pokemon stages.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The Mega Lucario event is back in Pokemon Shuffle, so you've got another chance to get the Lucarionite. If you got it in the previous event already and are among the top players again this time, you get two jewels as a reward.

There are also new daily Pokemon stages.

That seems...dumb.
    Why bother doing the competition for two jewels? The value of two jewels isn't much more than half a day's worth of Meowth grinding.
    Also, if they want to release more Lucarionite to the public, why allow overlap? Why not just exclude those who already have it from participating and just give them a reward for having completed it already?
    Meh, just seems the event could have been better distributed if they wanted to get Lucarionite out to the public and avoid the case of newer players losing out because somebody already maxed out everything and is just greedy for two more jewels.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Question!

What is the easiest process of transferring Pokemon from about Ruby and up to the newer games? I think with the GBA games, I need my older DS to get it onto the DS cart.

Then from Diamond on, I can use the Pokebank? Or is that too far back?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    To transfer GBA pokemon to XY-on, you will need:

DS with a GBA slot
    Any generation 4 game with the Elite Four defeated and access to the Pal Park
    Any Generation 5 game with the Elite Four defeated and access to the poke-transfer lab
    Any 3DS with PokeBank/Poke-Transfer.

Note that they have limited the number of pokemon you can transfer from Genereation 3 to 4 to 6 every 24 hours (but if you have more than one generation 4 game, you can do 6 more), but to transfer from generation 4 to 5, you can transfer 6 at a time, but you can do it as often as you like. Transfer from your generation 3 game to your 4th gen game, and then repeat with your 4th gen to 5th gen game, and then boot up Poke-Transfer and transfer from there.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks. I was browsing info on it, but figured I would ask here anyway.

Once I get the process going, I am sure I'll be fine. I just have a bunch of transferring to do. (I'm looking to sell my old games/strategy guides, so I figure why not grab my old legendaries and other guys before wiping the games for sale.) I don't even think I beat B/W2. I beat X/Y I think. Barely played the newest one.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I started making a team for little cup, but I stopped halfway.

I expect matches to fall into two categories :
    1: smogon banned list of scyther and friends.
    2: other people who will get obliterated by scyther or sneasel.

That just doesn't sound fun.

Smogon is smogon. They can be silly geese a lot of the time, but I think I agree with their opinion that scyther should have nothing to do with little cup.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    You're only missing out on 1000 poke-miles, so if that doesn't interest you, then you can skip it.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Smogon is smogon. They can be silly geese a lot of the time, but I think I agree with their opinion that scyther should have nothing to do with little cup.

Scyther in the little cup is like letting that 15 year old who got held back twice compete in middle school sports.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Umm, Pokebank just gave me 1100+ pokemiles. Guess I don't have to compete, eh?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    lA8HKhy.gif

• Options

I'm having this weird inverse version of this, where I see Little Cup, and I am like, what is viable? Oh, I just finished breeding Pawniard and Sneasel, those would be fun to use! And I have always wanted to use a Slurpuff/Swirlix and its viable and I have a 4 IV one sitting from a wonder trade session, then I cover some weaknesses...and all of a sudden I have LC: OU: The Team: The Experience: The Sequel and I feel terrible but I am still probably gonna pop in for a few rounds and get stomped by people who did this AND knew what they were doing and also stomp some people who were just genuinely excited to see so many cute pokemon for once.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I have a team ready. I just need to EV train them, and hope I can get it done by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed that I do well.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've gotten distracted from even getting all the badges in Omega.
    Still waiting for XY: Electric Boogaloo: Honhonhon Harder.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I managed to find my copy of Omega Ruby, so that's nice.
    Because every silver lining needs a cloud though, for some reason my Tyrantrum is gone? I cannot for the life of me think why but it's definitely not where I left it (which would be front and centre of my team because fucking T-Rex pokemon son!), so that's a shame I guess.
    Operation Rebuild is under way, I already got a Tyrunt so now I've just got to get on the grind. Maybe I should even EV train this one, or try and breed IVs or some shit. We shall see.

I've also decided I think I want to build a full living Dex, failing that I certainly want this to be the first game where I complete the Dex.
    So that's a good reason to pick back up the copy of X that I cooled off on when I lost my OR, since it's going to be a damn sight easier to use that for some stuff than it is to be at the mercy of GTS.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    This competition is ridiculously stupid. All it is is people using Sneasel or people countering Sneasel.

• Options
    I can't wait to contribute to Sneaselfest 2k15 with my Sneasel.

Sneasel is one of my favorite Pokemon so this is honestly hardly a deterrent for me.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    d44yBQk.jpg

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Next Pokemon game developed by Harmonix confirmed.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    d44yBQk.jpg

If Pokemon got the FF Theatrhythm treatment, I'd buy the shit out of that game soooo hard.
    They could even continue their bullshit of having two versions with a few missing things (labeled as "exclusive to version") and I wouldn't bat an eye at buying both.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The game Pokemon was always destined to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UN1vZZXZNA

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Cleffairy teachers are mean
    it's hard to be cute

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    faaaaiiry faaaaaiiry faaaaaaaiiry

as the pit opens beneath the world and the end times begin

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Cool beans. I just got an extra jewel for having passed 200 people. Now, what to do with all of these jewels...

• Options
    So, is anybody else unallowed to use Mewtwonite? I just recently caught Mewtwo in EX20, have had main stage 150 beaten with an S-rank for a while now, and wanted to use Mega Mewtwo, but have found that when I search for pkmn with mega stones, Mewtwo doesn't show up and when I manually find Mewtwo it's a blank Mega stone. T-T

This discussion has been closed.