As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Es la hora de ORAS

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    @Dark Raven X I already had an extra Dream Ball Dratini. I need your FC.

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Playing Pokemon Rumble World and it felt great to catch some with the special compound traits. Still waiting on the Epic trait. Also struggling to get all the types of Vivillion are proving to be a bitch, and the Unown collection will probably be even worse. :\

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I have bred a batch of Dratini! They all are Adamant, have their Hidden Ability (Marvel Scale, which turns into Multi Scale upon evolution into Dragonite), and Extreme Speed + Dragon Dance. Plus, they've got 4 perfect IVs, so they're way better than the Gamestop distribution Dragonite. "But TDawg," you might say, "the Gamestop Dragonite came in a Cherish Ball!" Well screw Cherish Balls. Do you want to make it known that you take handouts from corporate interests like a scrub? No! You want to be a classy jerk, so you will be happy to know that these Dratini all come in Luxury Balls, because nothing says "I'm Gonna Wreck You and Your Pitiful Excuse for a Team" like a ball that costs five times as much money with no added benefit other than looking stylish as all hell.

I've also got some other more trifling knick-knacks below the spoiler which I've been wonder trading away over the past few days, so they'll be gone...eventually? Everything has at least 4 IVs.
    Shadow Tag Gothita [Uproar, Heal Pulse, Dark Pulse, Mirror Coat], they come in Bold (+Def/-Atk), Calm (+SpDef/-Atk) and Sassy(+SpDef/-Spd).

Timburr [Mach Punch, Drain Punch], in Adamant

Honedge [Wide Guard, Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance], Quiet

Anticipation Eevee [Wish, Curse, Yawn Covet], Quiet, Modest

Charmander [Dragon Pulse], Modest

As always, PM me if you want something. I ask for nothing in return but your singular devotion and reverence.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I have bred a batch of Dratini! They all are Adamant, have their Hidden Ability (Marvel Scale, which turns into Multi Scale upon evolution into Dragonite), and Extreme Speed + Dragon Dance. Plus, they've got 4 perfect IVs, so they're way better than the Gamestop distribution Dragonite. "But TDawg," you might say, "the Gamestop Dragonite came in a Cherish Ball!" Well screw Cherish Balls. Do you want to make it known that you take handouts from corporate interests like a scrub? No! You want to be a classy jerk, so you will be happy to know that these Dratini all come in Luxury Balls, because nothing says "I'm Gonna Wreck You and Your Pitiful Excuse for a Team" like a ball that costs five times as much money with no added benefit other than looking stylish as all hell.

DOWN WITH SILPH CO! DOWN WITH MASTER BALLS!
    I prefer to go OG and use just pokeballs to catch everything. I do like the snob-ness of Luxury balls you suggested.
    Maybe once I finish my vacation and go back home, I'll look at getting into playing competitively. Where would y'all suggest starting at?
    I am literally the noobiest noob when it comes to learning anything about competitive play. I never cared to teach any pokemon a move that wasn't just about brute strength.
    I am a blank slate in that regard. I am the canvas, and you all are the colors of the rainbow! Make me a masterpiece. :winky:

• Options

I prefer to go OG and use just pokeballs to catch everything. I do like the snob-ness of Luxury balls you suggested.
    Maybe once I finish my vacation and go back home, I'll look at getting into playing competitively. Where would y'all suggest starting at?
    I am literally the noobiest noob when it comes to learning anything about competitive play. I never cared to teach any pokemon a move that wasn't just about brute strength.
    I am a blank slate in that regard. I am the canvas, and you all are the colors of the rainbow! Make me a masterpiece. :winky:

May I introduce you to the Gospel of Garchomp?

As a concession, I too prefer the simplicity of Pokeballs, I think they are a brilliant example of iconic design. But every once in a while its fun to have something different- usually this means Premier Balls, but occasionally I will delve into unrestrained luxury.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh i have no pride and use great and ultra balls all the time

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Do you want to make it known that you take handouts from corporate interests like a scrub? No! You want to be a classy jerk, so you will be happy to know that these Dratini all come in Luxury Balls, because nothing says "I'm Gonna Wreck You and Your Pitiful Excuse for a Team" like a ball that costs five times as much money with no added benefit other than looking stylish as all hell.

It's kind of the opposite, Luxury Balls are the only ones that give a benefit after capturing (faster friendship gain). The min-maxers all breed in Luxury Balls because any benefit is better than no benefit.

The stylish use Premier Balls.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I caught Mewtwo in a Premier Ball.

• Options
    edited July 2015

:hydra: Where's the Flavor-Aid? :hydra:

e: Though, seriously, is Garchomp a staple of competition teams?

Hargaad of Omnar on

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I am a sucker for dive balls and am still salty that I can't pass down those balls when breeding my starmie.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Dusk ball!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Catching legendaries in ridiculous balls is one of my favorite parts of O-Powers. I have my Yveltal in a Premier Ball and its great beautiful.

Garchomp is a very popular "hit A to win!" Pokemon. Hits like a truck even if you have only a tenuous grasp on what you are doing.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hehe, my Xerneas is in a regular ol' Pokeball. It was pretty easy to get - I guess cause it's part of the storyline.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Hehe, my Xerneas is in a regular ol' Pokeball. It was pretty easy to get - I guess cause it's part of the storyline.

Yeah, story-based legendaries have a catch rate of 45, equal to a Dratini. All other legendaries have a catch rate of 3, the lowest possible value.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Greatballs, ultraballs and healballs are also appealing.

• Options
    Duskballs are my best friend for legendary hunting. As long as they're in a cave or it's night, of course.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Catching legendaries in ridiculous balls is one of my favorite parts of O-Powers. I have my Yveltal in a Premier Ball and its great beautiful.

Garchomp is a very popular "hit A to win!" Pokemon. Hits like a truck even if you have only a tenuous grasp on what you are doing.
    Garchomp is a Pokemon so good that it's better than its mega.

• Options
    All this talk of ball discussion is making me wish that the Johto Apricorn Balls were more accessible, there are some fun designs in there that it wouldn't be difficult to bring over- literally just make it possible to buy them in a store. Even if you wanted to make them harder to get, it would be a cool thing to have at the Berry Master's Hut (trade for berries?) or in the Secret Base Hut in Fortree City.

Really, I think having a wider variety of cosmetic Pokeballs would be really cool in general. I thought the Seals were an interesting idea in Gen IV, but it was hampered by locking it away until the last city in the game.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Duskballs are my best friend for legendary hunting. As long as they're in a cave or it's night, of course.

I love Dusk Balls mechanically but I also find them among the ugliest of available Pokeballs (Right up there with Timer Balls). I stick everything I can into Luxury or Premier balls (It's harder in ORAS because I can't buy them in bulk anymore...) Also sometimes I try to match the ball to the Pokemon but there are a lot of Pokemon colours and not so many Pokeball colours.

• Options
    I wish you could paint the pokéballs.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YggiDee wrote: »

I love Dusk Balls mechanically but I also find them among the ugliest of available Pokeballs (Right up there with Timer Balls). I stick everything I can into Luxury or Premier balls (It's harder in ORAS because I can't buy them in bulk anymore...) Also sometimes I try to match the ball to the Pokemon but there are a lot of Pokemon colours and not so many Pokeball colours.

Weird, I find Dusk and Timer balls to be some of the cooler looking ones! I still avoid em tho; I like Net Balls for water types, but mostly stick to regular Pokeballs wherever possible.

The exception is a Musharna I have in a Dream Ball, cause c'mon.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I wish you could paint the pokéballs.

Future DLC.

I like the camo pattern of the dusk balls. A lot of monsters I favor can be found in caves.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular

I just started up on the competitive scene myself, so don't take any of this as gospel, but think about a few Pokemon you want to use, literally any Pokemon, look them up on Smogon and look up their VGC moveset. Use that to start getting an idea of the roles that 'mon typically has (status, sweeping, tanking, etc) and think about how YOU want them to work on your team. Get 2-3 Pokemon you like that way then start filling in gaps. If you have 3 sweepers, think about some bulky dudes for example. Once you have 6 'mons selected, breed em up (don't worry a huge amount about IVs) and take em into the battlespot. You'll fairly quickly get a handle on where your weak and what's going wrong with the team. Then it's a simple matter of thinking of what you would have LIKED to have had to deal with that pesky Talonflame or whatever and swapping in your answer. If you get destroyed by a team, think about saving the replay so you can see where you lost and even fight that team again with your answer (I think that's how VS recorder works...).

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Moonballs best balls.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Vahraan wrote: »

I just started up on the competitive scene myself, so don't take any of this as gospel, but think about a few Pokemon you want to use, literally any Pokemon, look them up on Smogon and look up their VGC moveset. Use that to start getting an idea of the roles that 'mon typically has (status, sweeping, tanking, etc) and think about how YOU want them to work on your team. Get 2-3 Pokemon you like that way then start filling in gaps. If you have 3 sweepers, think about some bulky dudes for example. Once you have 6 'mons selected, breed em up (don't worry a huge amount about IVs) and take em into the battlespot. You'll fairly quickly get a handle on where your weak and what's going wrong with the team. Then it's a simple matter of thinking of what you would have LIKED to have had to deal with that pesky Talonflame or whatever and swapping in your answer. If you get destroyed by a team, think about saving the replay so you can see where you lost and even fight that team again with your answer (I think that's how VS recorder works...).

So, what you're saying is that even Happiny has its place in the tournament scene? O_O
    No such thing as "lower class" pkmn?
    I'll be sure to take your advisement under consideration as I begin to work my way back into playing X and Y (too poor to get OR/AS yet, and I might as well wait for the next gen release anyways). I'm just another typical Gengar lover. Ever since the animated TV show's heyday, I loved Gengar both in the cartoon and in Red & Blue. Pretty much the 4 pkmn you had to trade to fully evolve were my fav (Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp, and Golem). Are there any banned pkmn (like legendaries)?

• Options
    Vahraan probably should have said fully evolved Pokemon, though there are exceptions. Some people play by a special subset of rules called Little Cup in which they only use unevolved Pokemon, and there Happiny...well, Happiny still isn't much good there. Chansey and Blissey are both very good in standard play, though. Also, while on the topic, there are definitely "lower class" Pokemon. Less than many people think, because a lot of online communities get stuck in a sort of circular logic that dismisses a lot of Pokemon out of hand, but some Pokemon are very much outclassed.

Banned Pokemon depends on what format you want to play. Generally speaking, stray away from the Big Legendaries (Mewtwo, Lugia, etc.), but smaller Legendaries (Zapdos, Raikou, etc.) are officially referred to as "Mythical" Pokemon and are fair game.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I should have mentioned the fully evolved thing, but from what I've seen most fully evolved pokemon can be utilized in some way and not be awful in the competitive scene. There are of course exceptions but if you can throw some support moves on it, it probably doesn't NEED great stats. It probably won't be optimal, but as you start out there's no reason to rush towards the optimum, especially as you start to understand the meta. This of course applies to doubles/the vgc ruleset. In singles I feel you're a little more limited to top picks but I could be wrong.

A good example is probably Arcanine, a pokemon I loved as a kid. It wasn't very good in singles to my knowledge, but in doubles where you can cover some of its weaknesses it has a decent spot.

Vahraan on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doubles is way better than singles anyway.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

I sort of wish they did more with doubles in the story. I swear there are maybe a dozen doubles battles between game start and the elite 4.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Doubles make a ton of useless moves become super useful (single player) but they never make you really practice it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doubles make a ton of useless moves become super useful (single player) but they never make you really practice it.

So what you're saying is we need another XD.

• Options
    Can anyone lend me a hand in a bit and trade my Girdurr back and forth so it evolves? Shoot me a PM if you can help out!

• Options

I sort of wish they did more with doubles in the story. I swear there are maybe a dozen doubles battles between game start and the elite 4.

It's this weird thing they flirt with on occasion, but never commit to outside of the competitive scene. A double battle gym in Gen III. Double-battle grass in Gen V (which was quickly supplanted with the Horde Battles in Gen VI).

My guess is they decided its too much for little kids to handle, which is a pity but probably fairly accurate.

If they ever do Hard Mode again, I would love if they changed gym leaders and trainers to do a wider variety of battle types.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

So what you're saying is we need another XD.

I only played the first one, but I loved that mechanic.

Now I'm pondering ways to incorporate it into a normal game, without messing with everyone who is used to singles. I wonder if it would work as a toggle at the start of the game. If you really want to be silly about it, split it up by game version, with one being singles and the other being doubles.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    So i'm trying to get a Groudon, and the one I have I'm unsure of keeping, since it's Relaxed and 31/31/31/27-28/25-26/27-28. Should I keep it, or should I keep trying? What's the best nature for a Groudon?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    So i'm trying to get a Groudon, and the one I have I'm unsure of keeping, since it's Relaxed and 31/31/31/27-28/25-26/27-28. Should I keep it, or should I keep trying? What's the best nature for a Groudon?

You probably want to with an Adamant nature, but I guess you can try a support set. Smogon has a Relaxed set listed. http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/groudon/

• Options
    Playing Pokemon Rumble World...feels good to finally hit level 50 and score two Epic natures already (Gible and Ducklett, both having Gutsy and Lucky in the Epic subset). Now I'm just waiting to score a Rusty pokemon so I can see what that's all about!

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    The Pokemon Twitter had a survey they wanted people to do.

E4OsB24.jpg

What can I say? I've been a lifetime fan.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    I have more than I thought!
    Blue
    LeafGreen
    Diamond
    SoulSilver
    White
    X

Huh, I tend to skew towards the B version. That isn't really intentional!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I have more than I thought!
    Blue
    LeafGreen
    Diamond
    SoulSilver
    White
    X

Huh, I tend to skew towards the B version. That isn't really intentional!

It's okay, that's 'cause you're cool.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
This discussion has been closed.