As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Es la hora de ORAS

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Games and Technology
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are out in America and Japan, but Europe has to wait until the 28thm sadly.

If you want to transfer the Glalietite from the ORAS demo, just talk to Steven and tell him to send your data over to the retail game.

Welcome to the world of Pokémon!

aboyoragirl_zpsc5868c95.jpg

G&T Pokémon trainer Friend Code list

If you want to add yourself, use this form. If you've defeated the Elite Four, in order to see your friends' third safari mons and have a chance to get hidden ability pokés, you need to have been online in-game at the same time at least once. After that, you don't need to be online in order to get those.

Also, check out G&T's Sexy Breeding List, which makes it easier to keep track of who has certain pokés with 3 or 4 perfect IVs.

Remember to notify everyone you add that you've done so. The best way is to add an @ just before their name. If the name has spaces, type the name inside "quotation marks". Remember to also leave your trainer name. Don't attempt to add everyone, as the 3(2)DS only allows to register up to 100 people.

WHAT ARE THESE POKÉMON CREATURES THAT EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT????

Pokémon are creatures who are mainly used for being enslaved and made to battle to the death, but some people just think they're cute and keep them as pets. Upon reaching a certain level, Pokémon evolve... Or, well, saying they change their form is more accurate, as the Game Theorist explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2mRcAoXLQ

But we'll still call them evolutions, for simplicity's sake, and also because it's the official term (also, the changes they suffer do count as evolutions, just not necessarily Darwinian evolution.

Anyway...

pokexy_zps013d63f3.png

If you're planning to get Pokémon X or Y, you need to be prepared for a ton of mechanic changes, as big the ones in second, third, and fourth generations.

First of all, XY will feature Dig.... Err... Mega Evolutions:
Bulbapedia wrote:
Mega Evolution (Japanese: メガシンカ Mega Evolution) is a transformation method found only in the Kalos region. Mega Evolutions are identified by having "Mega" in front of their name.

In order to undergo a Mega Evolution, the Pokémon must be holding the applicable Mega Stone. The player must use their Mega Ring, which contains a Key Stone, to resonate with the Mega Stone held by their Pokémon to trigger Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution can only occur in battle and disappears after the battle is over.

Korrina knows secrets about Mega Evolution. The Tower of Mastery is also related to Mega Evolution in some way.

Here are some trailers showcasing Mega Evolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7F_CtogpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftrqE2CQiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhaSxUJ-OU

Some Pokémon even have different Mega Evolutions depending on the specific stone you use (and they're X or Y exclusives).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFoT9oGtfc

Upon the release of the game, you get a Torchic holding the stone that turns its final evolution, Blaziken into...
mb_zps3eeaafdf.png
Mega Blaziken, fuck yeah.

They're also introducing a new type, the Fairy type, which is strong against Fighting, Dragon, and Dark-type Pokémon, while it's weak against Poison, and Steel, and actually takes no damage from Dragon-type attacks! Also, it deals weak damage when up against Fire, Steel, and Poison. I guess they liked Ferngully.

A few of the revealed Fairy-type Pokémon are these:

Eevee_Evoli_Graphic_zps1020c778.jpg
Sylveon, a new Eevee evolution, who gets Cute Charm as its ability and it's rumored to have Multiscale as its Dream World ability.

xerneas_zpsa9c19f64.jpg
Xerneas, the X Pokémon mascot uber.

There are plenty to choose from, and some older Pokémon, like Jigglypuff and Gardevoir have turned into Fairy types (in the case of Gardevoir, it still retains its Psychic type, though).

Metagross fans, though, prepare to be disappointed, because Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost types. Bummer.

sadmetagross_zpsfe57614f.jpg

And for those of you who always complained about how hard it was to train the Effort Values of Pokémon (regardless of how easy it kept getting as each generation got released), they made them even easier now, which comes to a blessing even for those of us who got used to doing that, with the introduction of Super Training:
Bulbapedia wrote:
Super Training (Japanese: スーパートレーニング Super Training) is a method of Pokémon training introduced in the Pokémon X and Y games. It allows players to train their Pokémon on the touch screen from anywhere at any time. Super Training allows the player to not increase their Pokémon's level, but instead raise its stats. It is possible to access Super Training via the Player Search System and Pokémon-Amie.

And speaking of Pokémon-Amie, you won't need to play Hey You! Pikachu anymore in order to attempt to bond with Pokémon.
Pokémon-Amie (Japanese: ポケパルレ Poké Parley) is a feature in Pokémon X and Y that allows the player to develop stronger bonds with their Pokémon. It uses the touch screen to allow players to pet, feed, and play with Pokémon currently on their team. Players may interact with their Pokémon by petting or feeding them via the touchscreen or mimicking their movements using the camera. There are three new options to choose from for the player: play, hunger and friendliness, and there is a display screen showing the options. Large Pokémon, like Tyranitar and Snorlax, take up both screens of the 3DS.

Playing with a Pokémon increases its friendship with the player, and allows it to avoid attacks and land critical hits more often.

Some of the improvements that XY introduced:
- Every Pokémon that participates in battle getting full Experience (when using EXP All, each one gets half EXP, unless they participated in the battle).
- You now have ability to customize the trainer's appearance, you can sit, and walk diagonally.
- When breeding with a Destiny Knot attached to either parent, the offspring will inherit five IVs from either parent instead of just three.
- You can battle at restaurants to earn both money and experience, and you can increase the amount you earn by using O-Powers.
- Train faster with Pokérus, Power Items and Horde Battles (triggered by Sweet Scent, look bellow for a video that explains it).
- Unrestricted autoleveled battles over Wi-Fi are back, but only up to level 50, but it's not a problem.

Pokémon X and Y will be available on October 12th both physically and specially, I mean, digitally. The digital release's size will be 1.7GB.

(Also, Pikachu's cry will now be the voice of Ikue Otani, I thought you should know)

Those of you who wish to get into competitive battling should breed new pokés or wipe your current ones' EVs and then check their IVs:

IV Calculator

TO ALL THOSE CHEATERS THAT ATTEMPT TO CLONE POKéMON BY COPYING YOUR DIGITAL GAME'S SAVE FILE: The game will link your save to an ID in the 3DS's system memory, so if you try to restore your save, it won't recognize it.

For those who wish, for some strange reason, erase your game in order to start a new one from scratch, you have to press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete the save file.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67488169

Here's a faster way to get the Pokémon you want!
bSZAuwD.png

For those wanting to EV train with a method faster than Super Training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_RKWAmBgU

List of places where you can EV train:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67534206
http://www.marriland.com/forums/pokemon-6th-generation/competitive-battling-6th-gen/450081-wigglers-guide-to-easy-fast-ev-training-in-pokemon

General battle rules:

- You can only put one Pokémon belonging to you opponent to sleep. If the foe uses rest, that pokémon doesn't count. Otherwise, be a good sport and don't put a second pokémon to sleep.
- You may not have repeat pokémon. That means that if you have two pokémon that share the same Pokédex number, you should swap out one of them.
- No one-hit KO moves. Example of these are Sheer Cold and Fissure.
- No evasion moves like Double Team and Minimize, and no Sand Veil + Sandstorm or Snow Cloak + Snow Warning.
- Don't use pokémon with the ability Moody.
- Wynaut and Wobbuffet are no longer banned. There are more than enough ways to get around them, and they're not that good anyway.

RockinX on

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Question about how ranking your team where battling is concerned. If I have a mix of pokemon does my team bracket default to the whichever my highest pokemon is? Say I had one legendary and a bunch of NU guys, my team would be considered the the higher right?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Question about how ranking your team where battling is concerned. If I have a mix of pokemon does my team bracket default to the whichever my highest pokemon is? Say I had one legendary and a bunch of NU guys, my team would be considered the the higher right?

Legendaries are also subject to tiers. Meaning that you can have Articuno and a bunch of NUs and it'll still be an NU team because Articuno just fucking sucks.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What is ORAS anyway

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    What is ORAS anyway

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    aw, duh

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well, it's there in the first paragraph of the OP :P

• Options
    I was too hypnotized by that first image.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @RockinX Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire launch in November, not in October like the OP states

• Options
    Oops, gonna fix that. Thanks.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    @Sagroth I'm on now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    can someone help me out?

I ended up forgetting about emerald for far to long and I have no idea where I am in the story.

I'm in Meteor Falls, I have 3 badges and the volcano ash bag, anyone have any inkling of where I should head to or at least a way to get my headings?

• Options
    Smogon just banned Aegislash.

Are you fucking kidding me? Do you really need that thing gone?

• Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    I am by no means a Poke Master but that seems kinda dumb.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The only thing I can see why it was banned is that it is a hard pokemon to predict. What were their reasoning for banning it?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sorry ignore this, posted in the wrong tab! :blush:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    They should just ban everything but Dittos and Smeargles.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I looked around their boards for a while and couldn't find the rationale. Apparently whatever voting council they use to decide such things (which I can at least say is pulled from high-rated players on the online simulators) voted 62% in favor of the ban. Not what I'd call an obvious decision.

And based on the thread, the average reasoning for the ban in the debate was "enough people are using Aegislash that I feel like I have to bring something in my team to counter it", which is... kind of scrubby reasoning.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I don't even fear Aegislash in doubles. I'm cautious, which a very different thing.

In singles, I don't even feel the need to bring a counter.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I looked around their boards for a while and couldn't find the rationale. Apparently whatever voting council they use to decide such things (which I can at least say is pulled from high-rated players on the online simulators) voted 62% in favor of the ban. Not what I'd call an obvious decision.

And based on the thread, the average reasoning for the ban in the debate was "enough people are using Aegislash that I feel like I have to bring something in my team to counter it", which is... kind of scrubby reasoning.

Their reasoning seems to boil down to that a rather lot lately. They have a lot of good minds there, but it seems they are less interested in playing the game that was made so much as remaking the game into their idealized version. There are times when shit is just straight broken, but they seem to err on the side of "the game is meant to be played this way, so let's ban anything that prevents that."

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The Lords of Scrub.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah 62% for a ban is not high enough.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Good thing we can just say "nuts to that" and keep playing how we feel like, both on 3DS and on Showdown.

I've found Smogon's suggestions for movesets useful as a basis for training Pokémon, but their pigeonhole "rules" have never once registered as anything more than a momentary distraction. If you want to play a meta-game within Pokémon, it can be whatever you want, from "No Items, Bidoof Only, Final Destination", to "You have to sing death metal in falsetto during your turn".

So long as it's possible within the game Nintendo/Gamefreak put out, I don't see why an increasingly dubious, insular meta-game, highly geared toward battle simulators instead of enjoying Pokémon in its entirety, should be given another thought once you hit, "Well gee, I don't agree with that", or, "But that's no fun",

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Umm... wow... someone just gave me a Shiny Latios in Wonder Trade...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I guess I'm just gonna end up starting emerald over again since I still cant figure out what to do

• Options
    AndrewViveirosAndrewViveiros Registered User regular
    Aegislash? WTF? Smogon are a bunch of silly geese. Also, I just realized that Mega Sableye has Magic Bounce. Hot diggity dog that is badass. He's gonna be a staple on my team.

• Options
    http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/3ade2b4a-0c41-41ab-8572-be7e8a223084
    Bulk up on powerful Pokémon with a special Nintendo Network distribution! Starting August 13, you can get Heracross for your Pokémon X game or Pinsir for your Pokémon Y game. These Lv. 50 Pokémon are ready for battle with a variety of powerful moves.

Heracross and Pinsir don't come with any held items. Keep checking your email for a Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter sometime in September containing a special code that you can use to get Mega Stones for the Pokémon to hold! When these Pokémon are holding the right Mega Stone, they will be able to Mega Evolve during battle, making them more powerful than ever before. Only Pokémon Trainer Club members will receive the newsletter. You’ll need to have opted in to receiving the newsletter in your Pokémon Trainer Club account preferences.

• Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    I wonder what moves they will have.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    Finally figured out where I was, turns out I had to backtrack all the way to the volcano to stop Team Magma.

Of course I got there and got my ass kicked by the leader cause his Mightyena chewed through most of my team, and was utterly immune to my clutch Gardevoir and its bevvy of psychic attacks.

Time for a Rocky Training/Power leveling montage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    What are shiny chances in White 2 with shiny charm for random encounters?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I wonder what moves they will have.
    http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/0b563dcb-aba3-48a7-8075-e8f4db7e9619
    Pokémon: Heracross
    • Type: Bug/Fighting
    • Level: 50
    • Ability: Swarm or Guts
    • Held Item: None
    • Nature: Adamant
    • Moves:
    - Bullet Seed
    - Pin Missile
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn

Pokémon: Pinsir
    • Type: Bug
    • Level: 50
    • Ability: Hyper Cutter or Mold Breaker
    • Held Item: None
    • Nature: Adamant
    • Moves:
    - X-Scissor
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Return

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    What are shiny chances in White 2 with shiny charm for random encounters?

I'm pretty sure it's something like 1/1600, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: From Serebii-
    Method:
    Finally, when you manage to capture all the Pokémon in the National Pokédex (not counting event legends) and show it to Cedric Juniper, he will tell you his daughter has a present for you. This present is the special Shiny Charm. This item increases the likelihood that you will encounter Shiny Pokémon. When you have the item in your bag, then the chances of encountering Shiny Pokémon in the wild is increased to 33% of normal, making it a 1 in 2,370.6 chance. If, however, you\'re using the Masuda Method to breed, it increases it from 1 in 1,365.3 down to 1 in 1024.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place to talk about, but the Pokemon Center opens up later today!

I am hoping for some Eevee plushies...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I want one of those walking Pikachu dolls.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    I want one of those walk-in Pikachu dolls.

juj4kgG.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2014
    RockinX wrote: »
    I want one of those walking Pikachu dolls.

They have a cute mailman pika pi.
    s68ucggrhxh9.png

Riokenn on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yo, a megastone-distribution?

• Options
    Took me a couple of tries but I finally bought the Grand Opening Pikachu + Pin and a Pikachu shirt. $60 well spent.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So expensive. Like, somehow more expensive than the Japanese Pokemon Center, I am pretty sure. On the other hand, Special Delivery Pikachu is god damn adorable.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Pokemon/status/497038373731569664/

The pokeball patterned vivillon is available as a Mystery Gift for North American players until August 12th. I can confirm it's available for Canadians too, even though the main Pokemon twitter just says it's for USA.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    whoa, two vivillons so close.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.