As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Es la hora de ORAS

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    For those waiting, my demo arrived at 2:25AM EST while I was asleep. Check once you wake up and it may be there!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I played through the demo on multiple days and didn't get anything new. Once you've played through it 10 times, you're basically done.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Still have not gotten my demo. Gotta love these overwrought giveaways.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Houndoom?

Dark is resistant to Dark, right? Still, dog has low physical defense.

Heathran too.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    I never knew that dark resists dark.

Wow. Look at that.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Houndoom?

Dark is resistant to Dark, right? Still, dog has low physical defense.

Heathran too.

Oh, wait, Heatran lost Dark-resistance.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hmm, ORAS demo changed this from must-buy to wait. All the environments I went to have looked seriously ugly compared with X/Y. I'm taken aback by how it's a literal 3d reproduction of the exact tiled layout from GBA, including the extremely ugly square, tiered "cliffs". It feels like they built 3D versions of the 2D tiles and then imported map data from their source copy of the GBA game ... regardless of how it was actually done, it's a definite step backward to copy the GBA game to such an extreme.

It comes off as so incredibly lazy, I'm just plain put off.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    That is weird because I thought it looked and felt great, although I don't remember the last time I truly played X/Y was. I feel like the Pokemon are more animated in battle for some reason, but that is probably just me.

Plus, what would you expect from a remake? Ha. It'll still be fun of course.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So I just finished the first storyline of the demo, and what is the deal with Steven saying that he'll one day entrust me with his shiny Metagross???

QuantumShaddow on

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So I just finished the first storyline of the demo, and what is the deal with Steven saying that he'll one day entrust me with his shiny Metagross???

Huh, interesting.

I know in the original he gave you Beldum, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I also agree with everyone else - stealth walk is pretty creepy and funny!

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Hmm, ORAS demo changed this from must-buy to wait. All the environments I went to have looked seriously ugly compared with X/Y. I'm taken aback by how it's a literal 3d reproduction of the exact tiled layout from GBA, including the extremely ugly square, tiered "cliffs". It feels like they built 3D versions of the 2D tiles and then imported map data from their source copy of the GBA game ... regardless of how it was actually done, it's a definite step backward to copy the GBA game to such an extreme.

It comes off as so incredibly lazy, I'm just plain put off.

This kinda threw me off as well, I would be tempted to say it's just a product of the demo, but Mossdeep is an in-game town so it's likely representative. The cliffs/slopes are the only really noticeable part mind, but I would have liked something a little more aesthetically pleasing.

That plus the lack of clothing customization means I'll probably hold off for a while, at least til I'm done with Bayonetta 2.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It's a pretty grating visual style compared to x&y, that's for sure. I understand why they did it that way though; there are lots of people who will probably prefer the remake being as close as possible to the original. I stopped noticing the funky cliffs pretty quickly playing the demo, so I don't think it's going to bother me long term.

• Options
    I just realized the shiny Gengar knows sludge wave.

• Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular

I thought it was announced a while back that with the release of ORAS there would be a wifi event for getting a shiny Metagross.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    That plus the lack of clothing customization means I'll probably hold off for a while, at least til I'm done with Bayonetta 2.
    I imagine that's only just been eliminated from the demo. There's no way they wouldn't put that in these games. That would be sacrilege.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No, there no evidence that feature s in. The demo and all media lend evidence to exactly the opposite of what I hoped for: they seem to be sticking needlessly close to the original GBA games, to the point of recreating 2d tilemaps, and nixing character creation.

If you never had Ru/Sa this is a chance to play those adventures with gen 6 mechanics, but if you had them and played them it's a tossup as to whether that's enough, and for me, I refuse to reward Gamefreak for underachieving any more after finally showing forward progress to the point where they aren't years behind the technical curve with X/Y.

If you don't have X/Y, things look like they're still going to be the best pokemon games ever made.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Have any of the remakes been very different pre elite 4?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    HGSS had some scenes that were different, in terms of how Lugia/Ho-Oh were presented and the treatment of the Kimono Girls. Also, Pokeathalon was available as soon as you got to Goldenrod City, so that was a pretty big deal. Plus, I'm pretty sure you had access to the Safari Zone before that as well. So I'd say it was a bit different, but not drastically so.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    They haven't been different. There might be some story elements that change but stuff like tile maps haven't changed. It probably just seems more noticeable with the higher end graphics and breaking away from the grid that X/Y did.

Also, I don't care at all about clothing. The default getup looked better than any of the custom options anyway. I'm not playing for dress up and unless the core mechanics somehow get worse then they'll probably be the best Pokemon games to date.

• Options
    While I can live without the clothing itself, I feel the need to stress again and again that not being able to at least change your character's skin color is a pretty significant and disappointing step back for a game that has less a protagonist and more a glorified player stand-in.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    In other words why can't Hoenn be as smooth as its new 3D sky map? That has modeling on par with X/Y, which has more organic-looking terrain. Why in the world is the actual ground level blocky? Is Gamefreak telling us it wasn't a limitation of technology, but Hoenn is actually made up of an insane number of perfect-right-angle-shaped ledges stacked atop each other? Also, why is every repeating rock texture hideous?

IceBurner on
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    In other words why can't Hoenn be as smooth as the new 3D sky map? It has modeling on par with X/Y, which has more organic-looking terrain. Why in the world is the actual ground level blocky? Is Gamefreak telling us it wasn't a limitation of technology, but Hoenn is actually made up of an insane number of perfect-right-angle-shaped ledges stacked atop each other? Also, why is every repeating rock texture hideous?

That very last part: I have no fucking idea. It's so bad, and so orange.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    While I can live without the clothing itself, I feel the need to stress again and again that not being able to at least change your character's skin color is a pretty significant and disappointing step back for a game that has less a protagonist and more a glorified player stand-in.

I get called an idiot by the internet every time i raise this point so i'm happy to see someone else raising it. It's really disappointing.

Also i hope the need to "stick to the originals" at LEAST does something with all of the fucking surfing involved. Although judging by the super frustrating desert zone from X/Y i'd say that game freak haven't quite learned their lesson yet.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Over the past few days I have been breeding some Careful Prankster Sableye for the Trick or Treat Friendly, to no avail. I had one last batch of eggs before bed last night, and of them only one had Prankster. Lo and behold, it was my precious 5 IV that I had been searching for! I am very happy. I'll make some Impish Sableye after the friendly is over. If anyone is interested in some, let me know.

• Options
    Over the past few days I have been breeding some Careful Prankster Sableye for the Trick or Treat Friendly, to no avail. I had one last batch of eggs before bed last night, and of them only one had Prankster. Lo and behold, it was my precious 5 IV that I had been searching for! I am very happy. I'll make some Impish Sableye after the friendly is over. If anyone is interested in some, let me know.

I'm down for one :-)

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Gen 3 is the only generation of pokemon games I've never played so playing the demo was pretty rad.

I'm getting sapphire so I hope team aqua is as silly as I've been led to believe.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Is anyone out there going to compete in the Ghost friendly tomorrow/this weekend? I hope the team I made isn't too terrible. I'm rather worried about Gengar/mega Gengar, but hopefully I can counter it with Cofagrigus or whatever I have. This will be a team I'm building without any prior experience with it, so I'm basically going in blind.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    @Bartholamue I'm prepping a team for the Ghost Friendly as we speak. I'm packing Shadow Sneak users to deal with Mega Gengar, which I view as being the real threat here.

@QuantumShaddow Careful or Impish?

...and to round off my team, I've got some Brave 0 Speed Shuppets, and of course, the mandatory Extra Large Pumpkaboo (Impish). Those two were much easier to fix up. Also up for grabs later.

• Options
    @TDawg‌ If you happen to have a Bold one around, that would be great. If not, Impish is totally fine :-) I won't be online until tomorrow after 3:15pm EST though.

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Kirbith wrote: »
    Gen 3 is the only generation of pokemon games I've never played so playing the demo was pretty rad.

I'm getting sapphire so I hope team aqua is as silly as I've been led to believe.
    Gen III is my favorite. Make sure you pick Torchic. Because Blaziken is the best. (And it really helps in the first few gyms and for the Elite Four.)

Blaziken is the best Pokemon ever because... Well, just look at this magnificent bastard:

Blaziken___Pokemon_RS_by_pokesafari.png

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Swampert for life, yo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I recommend picking whatever starter you like.
    But Swampert is the best and if you disagree then you can kindly and politely fuck off.

@QuantumShaddow I don't have any Bold stock, and I won't have spare Impish Sableye until after the Friendly this weekend (it should be a quick breeding session, though you never can quite tell), so I'll get back to you when they're officially available.

• Options
    I recommend picking whatever starter you like.
    But Swampert is the best and if you disagree then you can kindly and politely fuck off.
    He's the worst Water starter in my opinion. I usually pick the Water over all, but Blaziken is my favorite Pokemon ever.

• Options
    It's not as if it really matters, since the starter won't have the best pedigree anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    PLA wrote: »
    It's not as if it really matters, since the starter won't have the best pedigree anyway.
    Well, based on the gyms and the Elite Four/Champion, Torchic is clearly the best starter. Just evolve Torchic before the first gym and you're damn golden for the rest of the game.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    Sure. Or evolve anything else before the first gym and you're golden for the rest of the game.

• Options
    Or, you know, trade over a charmander and have the best starter of all the generations.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Or, you know, trade over a charmander Bulbasaur and have the best starter of all the generations Pokemon of all time.

You know it's true.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    I have a shiny charizard and shiny sylveon my husband bred up for me so those are already coming over to sapphire with me.

Blaziken is pretty alright but I already used him from the event one for x/y.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
This discussion has been closed.