As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC not POSTing [solved]

ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to be clear this is an extant build which has not given me any hardware problems for the 4 years I've been running it.

The fan on my graphics card was making a little more noise than I liked at high RPM and I decided to take it out to remove the fan and add some lubricant.

During this process I accidentally dropped one of the screws securing the GPU to the case chassis and it fell perfectly into the exposed fan grating of the PSU, and into the innards of the unit. I unscrewed the PSU from the chassis, turned it upside down, and after much jiggling and wiggling was able to retrieve the screw from the PSU.

The PSU power cord was unplugged and the I/O switch turned off the entire time the case was open

Much to my dismay, after re-seating the GPU and PSU in their proper places, my computer will no longer POST. I'm getting a green light on the motherboard and the lights on my keyboard flash on, but no fan or video activity. There's no speaker hooked up to the mobo so I'm not able to listen for beeps.

I've spent the better part of an hour feverishly rechecking all the power connections, making sure the 4-pin CPU power, billion pin EATX power were still firmly secure, and especially near the bottom of the mobo checking where the pins for the case buttons live directly above the PSU.

I'm approaching the end of my bag of tricks for diagnostic steps. The GPU is entirely removed from the system at the moment so it can be ruled out. As I mentioned, it's not a new build so it seems very unlikely that some other usual suspect like the RAM or CPU has spontaneously bit the dust just at this moment. It seems hard to believe the relatively mild handling of the PSU I did to shake the screw free was able to kill it.

I don't know what else to try short of just dismantling the entire thing and re-seating every connection from beginning to end to be certain that nothing has jiggled loose. I have another known working power supply from an even older machine that I could try swapping in.

I don't have any specialized diagnostic hardware for testing individual components, and all of this hardware is too old to warrant that much special effort.

Relevant hardware is Corsair TX650W PSU, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, Antec 900 case

Any suggestions welcome.

Scosglen on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Problem solved after I had taken the machine half apart. An extender cable that made the cables for the case buttons long enough to reach the input pins on the motherboard had frayed apart, and my jostling of the power supply had caused a small wire end to pull slightly free from its plastic connector.

Mending the wire solved the problem.

Scosglen on
This discussion has been closed.