As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC black screen on startup

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
So, when I start my laptop, it goes to a black screen after I logon (splash screen - > password -> black screen).

I can use my cursor, and if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL I can access a task manager, and run programs.

It basically seems as if it isn't loading everything it should be loading? Like the desktop, the task bar at the bottom, and whatnot.

So, uh, help? In words a fairly computer illiterate person can understand, please.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Is explorer.exe running in that task manager Grislo(under processes)? I've seen that not launch and it's basically the task/process that runs all of the GUI interface that would load the Desktop, Task Bar and whatnot. If isn't running you should be able to File - New Task to run it.

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to look at doing a windows repair or try rolling back to the last time the PC did work via the recovery console (done via a Windows boot disk)

• Options
    When I stop/restart explorer, nothing happens, which is a bit weird. Should I manually add that to the taskmanager startup tab?

The internet tells me to look at the registry, at HKLMSOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon -

-where I should be able to see explorer as the thing that's mean to run at login, but the things I see there are:

Defaut
    Buildnumber
    Excludeprofiledirs
    Firstlogon

Is that firstlogon thing supposed to be there, and is my computer trying to do a first bootup thing, but failing?

• Options
    Sorry for the double post, but thanks @Cirira - I originally wasn't going to try a system restore, since if anything went wrong I'd be hosed (no external disc drive for a few days, and I could run programs and do work as it was, even if it was annoying), and I hadn't actually changed anything at all today.

But I took a look at the restore points anyway, on a whim, and there was one from around when the problem might have occured this morning, and I remembered that I had tried to update the game Path of Exile to the latest patch. Which might have completely borked my windows installation? Anyway, restored to that point while keeping my fingers crossed (which of course helps immensely) and now I have a running explorer again.

(as a side note, I think I suffer from first-world-problemitis, I managed to completely panic, despite the computer actually working, sort of, and having two other laptops within 10 feet of me)

Though, question if anyone wants to sneak in an answer:

The affected program from the restore point was something called 'First Class' - is that a windows process/program of some kind? Trying to google for First Class is difficult.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    @Grislo‌
    I can't say that I've ever seen a game update cause that particular issue, but I do remember a game (Pools of Radiance I think?) that would crash PCs. I've not heard of First Class either. I'd run a malware scan with something like Malware Bytes after the system restore just to make sure there is nothing funny going on.

Firstlogon sounds like your machine was trying to do initial setup of the PC for some reason as well, but I'm not positive on that. I've seen this caused by missing/bad drivers before. If you updated Path of Exile and also did a driver update at the same time it's possible they may be related.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    So, when I start my laptop, it goes to a black screen after I logon (splash screen - > password -> black screen).

I can use my cursor, and if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL I can access a task manager, and run programs.

It basically seems as if it isn't loading everything it should be loading? Like the desktop, the task bar at the bottom, and whatnot.

So, uh, help? In words a fairly computer illiterate person can understand, please.

Hold down the F8 key and reboot your system, it should come up to a menu that would let you boot windows in safe mode. choose that one and see if you can get into windows without a black screen. if you can then its likely a driver problem. Try updating your video driver.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm doing a virus/malware check, just to be on the safe side. I think it was an issue where *something* forced the pc into thinking that it was doing a first boot, and that went wonky somehow.

I think First Class, after a bit more googling, might be some kind of built in security thing, like how McAfee comes with a lot of computers. So probably a program that doesn't always play nice with other stuff.