As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    And I grew the lime, so I pretty much did.

I admire your ability to photosynthesise.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's not easy being green.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Pork massaman curry is in the slow cooker, tenderising.

There was a lot of variation in recipes online, so I grabbed what sounded best from all of them. Hopefully it turns out well!

ROAST 8mins:
    garlic (head)
    galangal
    Chillies
    lemongrass 3 bulbs
    red onion
    peppercorns

TOAST 2-3 mins:
    cloves 5-6
    cardamom 5-6 pods. Seeds only.
    coriander seeds 2 TBL
    cumin 2 tsp
    cinnamon. 1 inch stick.

SMASH together with:
    shrimp paste
    fish sauce
    Toasted Peanuts
    turmeric
    Lime leaves

COOK with:
    coconut milk
    Soy sauce
    onion
    potato
    pork
    tamarind paste
    stock

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    QKD2hMm.jpg

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Where do you guys go to find new recipes? I feel like I'm circling the same 5 or 6 things every week over and over

I used to browse tastespotting quite a lot, that was handy.
    Nowadays I don't have a lot of time for experimenting, but I browse food blogs extensively and bookmark things that look interesting, or sometimes I'll google likely ingredient combinations and see if I can come up with stuff.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i like going to a good butcher or grocer and buying something i haven't gotten before, then looking up recipes people have put up for it

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Where do you guys go to find new recipes? I feel like I'm circling the same 5 or 6 things every week over and over

Honestly?

Half my recipe repertoire now is from a combo of America's Test Kitchen and Martha Stewart. Laugh if you must, but ATK in particular was super useful for explaining general concepts that I could use to apply to broad categories of cooking. Their recipes sometimes end up a little bland though, so don't be shy with the spicing if you use their stuff.

My current personal book of recipes are either from Alton Brown or my Grandmother

Heres a question for you doods, I have this 3 lb Turkey Breast in my freezer, how should I cook this guy? I don't really have any ideas except "Put it in this big pan I have and roast it until its hot"

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Seriouseats.com has provided quite a few ideas for me recently.

Vahchef channel on youtube is my go-to for indian food. Also he is hilarious.

I skim the BBC food site at work because the BBC is about the only website that aint blocked.

And I read the food threads on the Penny Arcade forum.

Great jumpin' Jebus, massamaning was a resounding success. One thing I might do next time is not use stock (at least not veggie stock) and concentrate more on the spices' flavours.

On a totally related note holy fuck how have I never used tamarind in anything before. That sour tanginess is sooooo good! Definitely another wrinkle in my cooking game.

Campy wrote: »
    Great jumpin' Jebus, massamaning was a resounding success. One thing I might do next time is not use stock (at least not veggie stock) and concentrate more on the spices' flavours.

On a totally related note holy fuck how have I never used tamarind in anything before. That sour tanginess is sooooo good! Definitely another wrinkle in my cooking game.

Tamarind chutney is excellent stuff btw. Really tasty as a dip or souce in it's own right and a good way to add that sour tanginess in, especially if you need to add a little something something as a late rescue.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

Tastespotting/foodgawker
    https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/food
    smitten kitchen
    pioneer woman
    america's test kitchen/cook's country (has some episodes up on amazon prime)
    jamie oliver's 30 minute meals
    gordon ramsay's ultimate cookery series
    extensive googling of ingredients I have sitting around in my kitchen
    variations on things my family used to make (sometimes terribly) that I think I could probably do better
    ask my friends what they're having for dinner/what they would like to eat if someone else made it for them
    this VERY THREAD
    extensive use of the library and just checking out stacks of cookbooks and browsing through them for ideas

a lot of the time what I do is take an ingredient that I want to buy in bulk because it's cheaper that way - like maybe I want to make tacos with pork shoulder, but the only place I can get pork shoulder only sells full shoulders and I don't really want 13lbs of taco meat, so now I know I'm gonna have a connective-tissue-rich piece of meat that I can portion out into a few different recipes. so from there I try to think of what else would be good to make out of that so that it doesn't go to waste, so I might make chili verde because that's a really good use of a pork shoulder, or a riff on a curry if I'm not feeling tomatillos or they're too expensive this week. I like to go into an ingredient/shopping trip with a few different meal ideas so if one ingredient is unavailable or ridiculously expensive I just shift focus to something else. or if I go to the store and I see a regularly much more expensive cut of meat "special today!" because it's near the date I can pick it up and futz around with it.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So my next veg shipment will include summer squash and mustard greens.

Anyone know any good recipes for either of these?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Summer squash is great

toss it into lasagna or maybe dip it in an egg wash and then into flour mixed with some salt and black pepper and fried in vegetable oil!

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    So my next veg shipment will include summer squash and mustard greens.

Anyone know any good recipes for either of these?

Ratatouille is a great way to use summer squash. You can also grill it, which is a really simple preparation. Just brush with olive oil, hit it with some salt and pepper. You can roast up some garlic and add that to the grilled squash.

You could also use it in a zucchini bread recipe.

I don't have a lot of suggestions for mustard greens, because I've never personally cooked with them. I guess that they saute well, especially the stalks, so you could stir-fry them.

Tonight I'm making fried chicken breasts! I made a little shaker of the spices I'm using. Some 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joes, some dried Thai Chili Peppers, a little Black Pepper and some Garlic Powder. I might add a pinch of salt just to get it to adhear better but it smells wonderful.

Oh man I can't wait for the fall to hit. I love me some Acorn Squash

I roasted half a chicken last night

9p6vfqmfcwc8.jpgsnvecsss9qiq.jpg

@DrZiplock I used Exceptional Condiment. Was pretty good, but possibly a better match for fish.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping for a really good steamed pudding or rice pudding recipe. But not chocolate steamed pudding. Something more caramely.

edited July 2015
    I'm hoping for a really good steamed pudding or rice pudding recipe. But not chocolate steamed pudding. Something more caramely.

Sometimes you just gotta go with the classics.

EDIT: I mean look, sticky toffee pudding is the obvious go-to here, but there are lots of other options is what I am saying.

V1m on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    \o/

V1m wrote: »

EDIT: I mean look, sticky toffee pudding is the obvious go-to here, but there are lots of other options is what I am saying.

Was very excited to see "Berkshire Bacon Pudding" on that list. Because I love bacon and was born in Berkshire. Then I read the recipe. I'm not very hungry anymore.

oh man.

the gypsy tart is basically a shortcrust pie shell with a filling of dark brown sugar and evaporated milk. that sounds both amazing and 'i'm going to kill you' kinds of good.

Was very excited to see "Berkshire Bacon Pudding" on that list. Because I love bacon and was born in Berkshire. Then I read the recipe. I'm not very hungry anymore.

OK I'm not quite sure what you were expecting from something called "Bacon pudding", because that describes a pudding made with bacon in it.

oh man.

the gypsy tart is basically a shortcrust pie shell with a filling of dark brown sugar and evaporated milk. that sounds both amazing and 'i'm going to kill you' kinds of good.

I was very fond of canary pudding as a child

(If your shop doesn't stock canaries, lemons are an acceptable substitute)

OK I'm not quite sure what you were expecting from something called "Bacon pudding", because that describes a pudding made with bacon in it.

I'm not sure exactly either. My brain definitely went to sweet and crunchy, and the recipe went to suet and boiling. Maybe there's something I'm missing here in my pastry ignorance, but it does not sound bueno.

I'm not sure exactly either. My brain definitely went to sweet and crunchy, and the recipe went to suet and boiling. Maybe there's something I'm missing here in my pastry ignorance, but it does not sound bueno.

Well, if sweet with salty/crunchy is what you want. then steamed pud probably aint the way to go, because steaming things for 2 hours does tend to take the edge right off any crunchiness.

Maybe a baked suet pudding like a modified rolypoly would get you there? Use maple syrup for the "sweet" and some larger pieces of chunk bacon in the pudding, with the exposed bits providing the crunch you're after. It'd be quicker to cook too, although still ample for you to google up "lipitor cheap free delivery".

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    oh man.

I was very fond of canary pudding as a child

(If your shop doesn't stock canaries, lemons are an acceptable substitute)

I'm confused. Sure alot of times they're yellow, but I never thought of them as analogous to lemons.

CXtGCie.jpg

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I just had the first tomato from my tomato plant. Wow, I had forgotten how much better home grown tomatoes are than most store bought ones. Now I'm sad that I only have 7 more tomatoes. I need more balcony space so I can grown all the tomatoes!!

http://youtu.be/6TWwyhCVBDg

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hmm, next time I'm taking my contacts out before I dice up the Jalapenos for salsa. Almost as much fun as getting pepper sprayed.

Whoo I finally get to roast up my turkey breast tomorrow! Super pumped

• FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I've been picking massive amounts of chanterelle mushrooms and sun drying them.

(from wiki)
    "Chanterelles are relatively high in vitamin C (0.4 mg/g fresh weight), very high in potassium (about 0.5%, fresh weight), and among the richest sources of vitamin D known, with ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as high as 212 IU/100 grams fresh weight."

I've brought home 30 pounds easily. They dry to almost nothing and then grinding them to powder makes them even more concentrated. I use the powder as a seasoning and to thicken sauces. It is very special. The season is starting to slow down and I am moving my search to other mushrooms like Hypomyces lactifluorum, the so called lobster mushroom.

Lobster mushrooms have a skin that is valued by dye makers so I am peeling and drying them to make a trade good. I hope to get so nice socks or other hand made and mushroom dyed goods in trade. It beats trying to wash the soil off.

An afternoons work. Maybe ten pounds.
    030_1.jpg
    Close up of the undersides. Many mushrooms will convert sunlight to vitamin D if the underside is exposed they collect more rays.
    033_1.jpg
    A real beauty of a specimen.
    021_1.jpg
    Once dry
    002.jpg
    And the final product. Hopefully it will keep and I'll have enough to last me until this time next year.
    003.jpg
    The first lobsters of the season.
    028.jpg

Foolproof on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    How do you feel about mailing mushrooms? Because I work a job that provides me with currency that I'm told I can exchange for both goods and services.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    bitcoins?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    Due to budget problems my plan failed in regards to getting certified for summer and fall mushrooms so I can't certify most mushrooms for legal sale. There is always next year and more experience won't hurt me any either.

I would love to turn mushrooms into a way to make a living. Right now they are merely saving my life. I've had some setbacks and I can't stand to do any of the things I used to do or to be any of the places I used to enjoy. Going out into the woods is a literal escape and finding things in nature to keep my mind busy is therapy. It amazes me that these things have been unnoticed by so many for so long.

One day I'd like to have a clean room for culturing fungi and the areas to grow and process them into food with strong medical properties. I'd like to explore the ways symbiotic partners boost the immune systems of each other.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Due to budget problems my plan failed in regards to getting certified for summer and fall mushrooms so I can't certify most mushrooms for legal sale. There is always next year and more experience won't hurt me any either.

I would love to turn mushrooms into a way to make a living. Right now they are merely saving my life. I've had some setbacks and I can't stand to do any of the things I used to do or to be any of the places I used to enjoy. Going out into the woods is a literal escape and finding things in nature to keep my mind busy is therapy. It amazes me that these things have been unnoticed by so many for so long.

One day I'd like to have a clean room for culturing fungi and the areas to grow and process them into food with strong medical properties. I'd like to explore the ways symbiotic partners boost the immune systems of each other.

i might know a guy who has good deal of experience in making boilerroom cleanrooms. I mean it wasn't free but it didn't look that hightech and his yields were amazing.

Yh6tI4T.jpg