As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    for basic cooking, staple recipes, and how to cook without relying on recipes: http://www.amazon.ca/How-Cook-Without-Book-Techniques/dp/0767902793

for guided improvisation, and inspiration when making your own recipes: http://www.amazon.ca/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative-ebook/dp/B001FA0P86/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413944051&sr=1-1&keywords=flavour+bible

Yes! I remember when you posted these before. I've been eyeing the flavour bible one for ages.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't really recommend the flavour bible it's pretty theoretical rather than cooking.

Honestly cello, any one can cook. I don't really like "beginner" recipes because half the time they simplify things by saying grab a pack of premix powder.

Jamie Oliver's stuff is consistently pretty good for classic dishes.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    also @Legba got me this for Secret Satans a couple years ago and it's pretty neat, especially if you're the sort of person who finds it helpful to understand the science behind what you're cooking.

http://www.amazon.ca/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks-ebook/dp/B003XDUCIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1413944418&sr=1-1&keywords=cooking+for+geeks

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that's why I specified that the Flavour Bible is for inspiration/improvisation, not for learning to cook directly. Sometimes you just want to add something to a dish, or change up a recipe you're good at but have a little too often, and it's great for that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Anybody have a good mix for stuffed bell peppers?

Rice as a base, then a bit of tomato sauce, and some diced onions and/or mushrooms. Season to taste. Stop there
    If you're one of those vegetarian types, but if not, I like to add some spicy ground sausage. I use Jimmy Dean's spicy most of the time, but you could also go with chorizo or whatever you want.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Cello, you can look at phone apps too. If it's available on your app store, taste.com have a good app and the epicurious app is pretty good as well.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    also @Legba got me this for Secret Satans a couple years ago and it's pretty neat, especially if you're the sort of person who finds it helpful to understand the science behind what you're cooking.

http://www.amazon.ca/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks-ebook/dp/B003XDUCIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1413944418&sr=1-1&keywords=cooking+for+geeks

I just need to know whether this is a typo or if Secret Satans is actually a thing.

• Options
    oh and also look up Alton Brown's Good Eats on youtube.

• Options
    kaceyp wrote: »

I just need to know whether this is a typo or if Secret Satans is actually a thing.

It is! It starts up in November. It's basically the SE++ version of Secret Santa. Tons of fun!

Steam
  • Options
    There's also a cookie exchange! Pipe made me some amazing jar cakes last time, it was delightful.

Steam
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Hey guys! Question time!

I'm moving into my first apartment shortly. While I'm a pro at baking, I've never really had to cook for myself. And it turns out that my soon-to-be roommate has, well, significantly less kitchen experience than I do. As in, most of his meals seem to originate from boxes and he only knows how to make pancakes and scrambled eggs from scratch.

So I was wondering: do you guys have any good beginner-level cookbooks you'd recommend? It'd only need to have 1-2 servings per recipe, though I can scale down if necessary. I'd like to get adventurous and try a lot of new things, but it'd be good if it was accessible enough that my roommate can start learning too. His future girlfriend is going to owe me so much

Jamie Olivers 30 minute meals
    Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals
    Alton Browns Good Eats, all three volumes

There is a thing in Australia called the CWA cookbook and household hints, which is a book put together by hundreds of old ladies (the Country Womens Association) and is filled with awesome recipes and tips on cooking technique, other kitchen hints, and general advice for around the house.
    I have no idea where someone from outside Australia might obtain one, perhaps on Amazon.com?

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    oh man...jamie oliver makes some good shit sometimes. I made his crab bricks with couscous salad once? Easily my very favorite meal.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    @Cello you don't necessarily need cookbooks, though they can be super helpful I find they take up a bunch of space I could be using for other things (though you will pry my Nigella Lawson cookbooks from my cold, dead fingers)

I confess I get most of my cooking inspiration from bloggers these days, Smitten Kitchen and David Lebovitz are a couple of my favorites, and the ever ubiquitous Epicurious

• Options
    Yeah, I was mostly looking for cookbooks because sometimes I find looking through apps or websites a bit overwhelming unless I know specifically what I'm looking for. It'd be a little easier for me to find suggestions by leafing through a book than to look through a database of ideas, y'know?

I'll definitely look into those blogs! Thanks!

Steam
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @Cello‌ I have a couple of Gordon Ramsay's cookbooks and they are pretty easy to follow. A lot of his cookbook recipes are based on classics and don't generally require adanced techniques or crazy equipment.

Also Rick Bayless if you enjoy Mexican food and can get ingredients. Most of his stuff is also super simple, but relatively authentic and that can make acquiring ingredients difficult.

jgeis on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    that's why I specified that the Flavour Bible is for inspiration/improvisation, not for learning to cook directly. Sometimes you just want to add something to a dish, or change up a recipe you're good at but have a little too often, and it's great for that.

Honestly while I have the flavor bible and I pull it out when I'm playing the 'now what the fuck do I make' game... I find it just as useful to Google the flavor combination I'm thinking of trying to see if there are well reviewed recipes featuring those flavor notes. If I still got a CSA box of random, sometimes completely unknown, veggies I might use it more often

Also Rick bayless is the source of the easiest most tastiest taco recipe ever
    Take one can chiles in adobo and chuck the whole thing in a blender
    Puree it until smooth
    Paint it all over a piece of steak (honestly it's good on any meat)
    Grill that shit
    Serve on warm tortillas with grilled onions

cabsy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of the 30 minute meals and the fifteen minute ones, I used to be but I realised that a lot of the time the ingredients are expensive and you will always end up having to clean up a lot. It also assumes you start off with a clean kitchen, everything at hand and and all your pans already hot.

I find that his Save with Jamie great. But it may not be matching a beginners style (in order to save it does rely on buying large whole cuts, roasting and freezing a lot, is great, but it doesn't match the storage space I have in my kitchen /freezer.

His best ones are just his standard recipe books (and he has a lot of amazing stuff available in his website as well)

I legitimately believe though, that right now he is the most important person out there is regards to home cooking culture as he is amazing at making everything seem doable and he explains technique and theory at a great level for beginners and people who like to faff around in the kitchen like me.

• Options
    The single biggest problem when it comes to cooking is the question, what do I make? If you are struggling to cook ask your self these questions.

Do you have a staple in your cupboard/fridge that you need to use?

Is there a protein that I want to base my dish around?

Is there a style I want to try.

These questions (even if you can only answer one of them) should give you enough inspiration to at least google something. Sometimes I just go to the supermarket and walk through the meat or vegetable section till I find something I want to try and google it then and there.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I used to get every recipe from Epicurious.com, but lately I've switched over almost entirely to SeriousEats.com because I love the writeups they do explaining all the different variations they tried before arriving at the final recipe. But I'm a scientists, so seeing the trial & error really appeals to me.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I used to get every recipe from Epicurious.com, but lately I've switched over almost entirely to SeriousEats.com because I love the writeups they do explaining all the different variations they tried before arriving at the final recipe. But I'm a scientists, so seeing the trial & error really appeals to me.

Kenji Lopez is probably my favorite person to read when it comes to cooking. One day I will own a meat grinder and then I will make his perfect burger blend.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Kenji Lopez is probably my favorite person to read when it comes to cooking. One day I will own a meat grinder and then I will make his perfect burger blend.

I've already linked to it a couple times (both here and in the D&D food thread), but I'm gonna do it again because I can't help myself. His Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the best things I've ever made.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Cello wrote: »
    Hey guys! Question time!

I'm moving into my first apartment shortly. While I'm a pro at baking, I've never really had to cook for myself. And it turns out that my soon-to-be roommate has, well, significantly less kitchen experience than I do. As in, most of his meals seem to originate from boxes and he only knows how to make pancakes and scrambled eggs from scratch.

So I was wondering: do you guys have any good beginner-level cookbooks you'd recommend? It'd only need to have 1-2 servings per recipe, though I can scale down if necessary. I'd like to get adventurous and try a lot of new things, but it'd be good if it was accessible enough that my roommate can start learning too. His future girlfriend is going to owe me so much

Ruhlman's "Twenty" and "Ratio" are solid starters. So is Bittman's "How to Cook Everything."

wrong_button on
  • Options
    There's also an app for "Bittman's How to Cook Everything" that'd probably be pretty great for a beginner.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Got a big slab of chuck roast thawing in my fridge for this weekend.

Who has some favorite things to do with one?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd slow-cook it, because I slow cook everything nowadays.

Then I'd turn some into beef and mushroom pies, or a curry.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I'd slow-cook it, because I slow cook everything nowadays.

Then I'd turn some into beef and mushroom pies, or a curry.

"beef and mushroom pie" is the most delicious combination of words I've seen in a long time

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Technically a brisket is the primary cut for this, but that would work for some corned beef as well. Though that's more like a 4-5 days thing.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    could this pie have onions in it too?

I'm asking for a friend.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I believe it could handle an allium or two

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    This Shepherds Pie

This Shepherds Pie

Used Gordon Ramsey's recipe but subbed Guinness for red wine and added yellow squash. Also used feta in the potatoes because it's what I had

Soooooo good

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ok cooking thread I have too many ingredients and too few ideas.

I have:

(1) decent sized yellow squash
    (5) massive sized golden potatoes
    (4) decent sized medium hot peppers (not as bad as a jalapeno, but much hotter than a bell pepper)
    (2) medium red onions
    (1) large yellow onion

half a box of chicken stock

a fair amount up (as yet) uncooked blue corn grits

the only things that need to be cooked ASAP are the peppers and the squash

I can't really think of what to make

I also have (2) large frozen chicken breasts and a bunch of basmati rice

ideas?

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    defrost the chicken - split - salt pepper whatever else you wanna hit it with
    wedge up the potatoes - olive oil, salt, pepper, roast at 400
    Potatoes will probably take an hour, so after a half hour put the chicken in the oven too...25 mins maybe? Watch the temp.
    Cut up that squash and a pepper and some onion, sautee them suckers when the chicken and potatoes are almost done.
    Maybe take a little pot and fry up a hot pepper and add a little chicken stock and butter and let it reduce to make a quick little hot sauce for your chicken?

Boom, protein, starch, veg.

Set aside leftovers and make some grits tomorrow night with chopped up chicken and veggies.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I made a casserole for the first time last night (chicken and pasta)! It was incredibly mediocre!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Because I'm lazy, I would roast all of those veggies at the same time in the same pan. Some will be more cooked than others but Ive never had it be a problem. The potatoes take longer than earthing else.

But yeah, I'd just cut everything up into golf ball size pieces, put it into a shallow baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 400F for 30-40 minutes or u til the potatoes are done.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    ok cooking thread I have too many ingredients and too few ideas.

I have:

(1) decent sized yellow squash
    (5) massive sized golden potatoes
    (4) decent sized medium hot peppers (not as bad as a jalapeno, but much hotter than a bell pepper)
    (2) medium red onions
    (1) large yellow onion

half a box of chicken stock

a fair amount up (as yet) uncooked blue corn grits

the only things that need to be cooked ASAP are the peppers and the squash

I can't really think of what to make

I also have (2) large frozen chicken breasts and a bunch of basmati rice

ideas?

Defrost chicken, score and lasciviously rub them all over with paprika and lemon juice. Get all creepy and into the personal space of those thighs.

Dice up all the vegetables into ~3cm pieces. Lightly toss them in some high smoke point oil, some aromatic seasonings (fennel, green cardamons, etc). Chop 1-2 lemons into 4-8 chunks each, depending on the size of those lemons. Break up a bulb of garlic and hit the cloves with something heavy to split them a bit. Mix all that into an oven dish and roast it. Roast it good and hot for like 20 minutes. Bring it out and give it a quick mix around. Put the chicken thighs on top. Sprinkle all the things with your favoured type of crunchy salt. You need salt to live! Enjoy salt! Salt makes both chicken and vegetables taste pretty good!

Roast it up some more. Roast it good for another 20-25 minutes depending on how large those thighs are.

Do not do anything with the rice today. Rice is delicious but you can do things with the rice another time.

You should have a glass of some nice citrusy white wine with that, though.

• Options
    I say a glass

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    In more positive news, I had to hold off from getting a long-awaited, [really nice] Ninja blender, due to a sudden increase in health-related bills. My boyfriend ended up buying it for me as an early anniversary present! :3 So now I can make ALL THE THINGS and maybe even try a few healthy smoothies and trick myself into eating more vegetables that way.

I think I'm going to try to make a butternut squash soup first.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My trusty old Mr. Coffee died yesterday. A sad day, me and that machine have spent many many dark mornings running through our daily ritual. All told it lived in 5 different kitchens and moved all the way out to Hawaii and back.

I took the opportunity to make a major upgrade and get a Bonavita with a thermal carafe.

I just made the first pot.

/sip

Welcome to the household, Signorina Bonavita, I think we're going to be very good friends.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    My soup blending tip is that you should spend a lot more time blending the soup than seems reasonable at first. A soup that has just been mulched for 30 seconds is quite a bit different from one that has been blended for 4-5 minutes.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Made pizza dough and danish pastries tonight at class.

Black pudding and caramelised apple went on the pizza, pistachio frangipane and more apple went in the pastries

They're so perfect. I feel like queen of the pastry kitchen right now. Need to change careers stat.