As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    mccart wrote: »
    I'm playing a physical crit archer in the beta currently, I'm level 77.
    Here's my current passive tree I could probably drop the mana leech node now, I'll have to try that. The plan for now is to get the duelist life nodes and then get the revenge of the hunted cluster.

It looks like you can spec out of the dex node behind the herbalism cluster.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Man, I wish we had some more people paying PoE.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I have a crit Ice-Shot Ranger in Standard, and it's the tits. I use a Drillneck and Herald of Ash linked to Ele Prolif, and it sets the whole screen on fire. Does the HoA+Prolif combo still work in Beta? Will the 30% damage reduction of the Prolif decrease the damage multiplier on the Herald, or all of my attacks?

Warcry on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Had a 5 link drop last night for my Reave / Dual Strike ranger. Armor/ev so it's subpar but whatever. DS is insane in a 5L . Rares and bosses just melt.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »

I'm waiting for the expansion

Isn't it kind of a weird time to be playing?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

I've been playing PoE, but my characters are still low level. I've mostly been playing a 42 summoner.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I have a 5-link on my ranger in the beta now, I'm really liking innervate as a 5th link. I was skeptical of it at first, but onslaught is up all the time and the movespeed bonus feels amazing. For clearing easy maps quick I think it will be stronger than other options. Critical hit multiplier is probably the strongest choice for higher maps, but I haven't been able to get to any maps over 72. I started chiseling and alching 70 maps to try to get there, but I don't have a lot of currency so it's really frustrating. I hope the map drop rebalance comes before a wipe so I can try it a bit with this character, I really want to see if the changes will help out solo mappers at all.

• Options
    Warcry wrote: »
    I have a crit Ice-Shot Ranger in Standard, and it's the tits. I use a Drillneck and Herald of Ash linked to Ele Prolif, and it sets the whole screen on fire. Does the HoA+Prolif combo still work in Beta? Will the 30% damage reduction of the Prolif decrease the damage multiplier on the Herald, or all of my attacks?

I haven't checked to actually compare what they did with Ele Prolif but most people are saying it's pretty garbage now in the beta. I think that's why Flameblast has fallen out of style (along with a damage nerf I think?).

I'm playing in the beta, but I'm about 20 levels below Saltycat. We've oddly both ended up playing crit phys archers running lightning arrow.

Everyone seems to be saying how split arrow + chain is so good in the beta, but I'm just not seeing it compared to lightning arrow + gmp. I suppose it's semi-nice to have arrows fly back and hit things in random places but as @mccart has mentioned about lightning arrow, it can obliterate even rares in a decently grouped pack. There's also the added bonus of shocking things.

Next character I try on beta will have to be some kind of melee character. Seems like there are so many goodies that I'm not sure where to start.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Prolif now applies 30% less damage and the radius no longer scales with level, so it's down from a 31 unit radius to 12.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Elemental Proliferation is yet another casualty in GGG's war on OP builds. They far too frequently nerf something into the ground to stop a particular style of build from working.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular

When does act 4 come out? I'll reinstall then

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Elemental Proliferation is yet another casualty in GGG's war on OP builds. They far too frequently nerf something into the ground to stop a particular style of build from working.

This greatly annoys me but I try and have faith that GGG knows what they are doing.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Reaver hit act 3 merc last night. Got a sweet new claw. 22k dps on Dual Strike with 4 frenzy charges, 9k on Reave

Stuff dies so fast. I need more survivability though. Almost got one shot by a rare devourer. This is the life of an acrobatics build.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I've been playing Path of Interior Decorating.
    I made one of those cool discoveries where you combine preexisting items in novel new ways.
    Sort of like how you see cool ideas in the Hideout of the Week vids, except this one is my own invention.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Reaver hit act 3 merc last night. Got a sweet new claw. 22k dps on Dual Strike with 4 frenzy charges, 9k on Reave

Stuff dies so fast. I need more survivability though. Almost got one shot by a rare devourer. This is the life of an acrobatics build.
    Wait, I thought Reave didn't benefit from dual wield. I thought it was only cleave and dual strike.

• Options
    It can, it's just not very good since you alternate weapons for your attacks rather than use them simultaneously as you would for Dual Strike. That's not theoretically bad on its own if both your weapons are balls-tits awesome, but you're probably better of with a shield.

Personally, I prefer Reave for that reason. You take a defensive slot and it has in-built AOE that can scale from Concentrated Effect. So you get another dps multiplier on top of your other cornerstone multipliers like crit, Melee Damage, Multistrike and so forth.

• Options
    Man, Wings of Entropy must love me, I just found one in the beta. I might have to make use of them if they don't do a wipe on the next patch.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Man, Wings of Entropy must love me, I just found one in the beta. I might have to make use of them if they don't do a wipe on the next patch.

I have four sitting in my Standard stash, and I'll probably never use them.

• Options
    Warcry wrote: »

I have four sitting in my Standard stash, and I'll probably never use them.

I found some during one of the older leagues right after it came out and built a really awesome blender type build with them. I even managed to 6 link them pretty quick and it was just amazing. I really like the idea of them since you get a 6 link option and can make use of axe nodes, dual wield nodes, and two handed nodes if I remember right.

• Options
    It can, it's just not very good since you alternate weapons for your attacks rather than use them simultaneously as you would for Dual Strike. That's not theoretically bad on its own if both your weapons are balls-tits awesome, but you're probably better of with a shield.

Personally, I prefer Reave for that reason. You take a defensive slot and it has in-built AOE that can scale from Concentrated Effect. So you get another dps multiplier on top of your other cornerstone multipliers like crit, Melee Damage, Multistrike and so forth.

Really the only thing a shield would do is give me some life and maybe evasion. With Acrobatics you lose 30% block chance, and I have a base block of 21% while dual wielding anyway. Double claws with life leech up the yin yang does a decent job keeping me alive.

I've been contemplating Vaal Pact but I'm slightly concerned about losing life regen when using Blood Rage. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway Reave is my 4L for clearing packs, Dual Strike is my 5L for killing rares and bosses. Reave being suboptimal while dual wielding sort of doesnt matter. I could respec into shields fairly easily should I come across a really nice one.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Have you tried out Dual Strike with Melee Splash?

Really for melee, I think Static Strike is where it's at right now. Good single target hits and a very solid large AE range.

• Options
    The block penalty isn't really that much. You're still getting 80% of your block and it's multiplicative with your dodge regardless. So all it really does is smooth out the absurd exponentiality of stacking two sources of defense.
    I didn't know you had Acrobatics, just more commenting that Dual Strike requires a second good weapon and takes a damage effectiveness to kit AOE, while Reave bypasses both problems.

If a shield would bump you above 50% evasion for around level 80-83, I'd definitely take that, block penalty or not.

Also, Vaal Grace if you haven't already. The pic doesn't show it but each activation is easily 9+ seconds apiece with Increased Duration.
    lftz54nw0wk3.png

• Options
    I'm not in Beta, but isn't Reave ridiculous right now? It was already the best melee skill for mapping, and it got buffed six different ways.

• Options
    Up until it got nerfed, Ice Crash was the melee hotness. I'm not really sure where it stands now compared to the other abilities but it still is decently strong.

• Options
    Well boys, it's wipe time on the beta realm!

• Options
    Well boys, it's wipe time on the beta realm!

And my Reave/DS build was just taking off

Ze beta life, et ees suffering

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Man, I started up a Marauder so I could test out a melee build but I can't decide on what to do!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Twenty Sided on
  • Options

ground slam seems like a natural candidate for this

heavy strike for bosses, maybe?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

I've done this. It works, but I just can't stand multistrike groundslam.

• Options

pretty much

• Options
    Relatedly, I'm making another Cycloner on live HC.

Anyone have suggestions aside from Havoc's?

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    @Saldonas Despite being relatively underpowered, my most accomplished character is a 2H Mace / Resolute Technique / Glacial Hammer Marauder.

From what I can tell, Glacial Hammer is getting substantially buffed in The Awakening (both the skill gem itself and Melee Splash) so you may enjoy it.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Or you could just use ice crash, which looks superior in every way. Also, holy shit those leech changes. I don't mind the single target LL nerf but holy Christ does mana leech for sustain look fucking useless now. Ugh.

• Options
    I sort of decided I'm going to do a high block chance build and deal with whatever one handers I come across. For now I'm rocking static strike, but I'm not really happy with any of these lower level AOE attacks. I'm going to eventually pick up the Templar radius passives. Molten Strike seems so-so, but maybe I need a better idea of how to make the best of it. I'm rather enjoying reckoning and I'll eventually try out the new Tempest Shield.

I'm already really missing my ranger though, bow (and ranged in general) just seems a lot faster.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the addition of flat elemental damage to spells as a mod on weapons is cool

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    the addition of flat elemental damage to spells as a mod on weapons is cool

and Incinerate is back to 30% effectiveness. dual wands with flat damage + 5L echo/chaos/lightning/cold + double herald + wrath incinerate = the deeps, they are brought

totally impractical maybe. but dayum

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Huh, so I'm kind of digging these counter-attack type gems.

• Options
    Huh, so I'm kind of digging these counter-attack type gems.

I have no idea how to really use them

Reckoning was great early when it would like crush a bunch of mobs down to half health

but later on the damage is kinda negligible

I put Blind on Vengeance and Riposte but it went off so rarely

Curse on Hit could work, I guess? LGoH maybe?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    They're useless for damage because of the cool down, it's all about picking the right one for utility. If you're using EV/Acro, don't bother. If you're in close melee, Vengeance usually goes off as soon as the cool down cycles (do you take Unwavering Stance, or wish you could? Go vengeance). If you stacked a lot of block, Reckoning. The reason Blind triggers so rarely is that it's a low % proc and the triggers are all on lengthy cool downs (Vengeance is over a second).

Personally I like a RRBB setup. So many options, from ECoMS/CoH/Enfeeble to Quantity/Rarity/Cull. I'm still leveling though so we'll see how it is mapping.

JihadJesus on