As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    huh, that might be worth it just for playing at work! thanks a bunch, I'll let you know if I order one when I get paid.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Vari to answer your question from your PM

Templar can be really good it's just a little more complicated to get it going as an intro build. It makes a great Firestorm or Flameblast character though especially with the Inquisitor ascendancy. You can also go totems which is pretty dang easy to play and powerful if done right, I just personally find them boring.

I recommended Earthquake because it is super easy to build. EQ with Melee Phys, Added Fire, and Less Duration is your basic 4 link and it's all red gems so it's easy to get sockets on a 2h weapon. Ancestral Warchief with Melee Phys, Conc. effect, and Faster Attacks is a nice single target assist. I'd link a Marauder and Duelist starting tree but I'm on mobile. Basically you want Resolute Technique on the far left tree as soon as possible, then just pick up all the melee and generic 2H damage nodes you can along with a bunch of life. You don't have to choose between axes and maces though for what it's worth most of the best leveling uniques (Geofris, Hrimnors)and the easiest intro endgame unique to get (Marohi) are all maces. Run Hatred and Herald of Ash and wreck faces. Leap Slam to get around faster and jump things.

The most important thing is to find a skill you like. Blade Vortex for example is crazy OP and myself and others in this thread can't stand playing it. things like SRS are strong but play very differently. Your first build usually won't be great but that's ok. I'm on my 7th character of the league and still trying new things.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What. Templar is stupid easy. Like way easier than Shadow, Ranger or Witch. He's the tank-caster style where the others are decidedly glassier.
    All your early self-caster/totem builds can just be some glorified variation of this simple tree.
    Here you go.
    Rushing Mind over Matter just turns all your early mana into free hitpoints. Making you stupidly tanky for early game.

Then transition into Hierophant for even more skill cost reduction and enhanced Mind over Matter shenanigans.
    (Pledge of Hands is usually pretty cheap. And Essence Worm is a bit pricey but fairly reasonable for an endgame item. And they're relatively cheap as far as "endgame" gear for Mind Over Matter builds.)
    Season to taste with armor, es, life regen or a full-blown Mind over Matter style defense. Dipping down into Marauder adds easy defensive options and even more mana cost reduction.
    Your skills cost next to nothing. And life nodes are rather intuitive and straightforward to spec for a new player.

10,000 Armor is the magic number to remember (or slightly more), which is ~50% phys reduction against most trash and at least a saving grace against anything that hits harder.
    Anything more starts running up against diminishing returns and you're better off investing in some other defense/offense. At which point you're also better served by a Basalt/Granite flask.

Do you want to run around with 10k combined ehp in some combination of mana, life and ES?
    Templar can do that. For way cheaper than CI.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I did a 2xFB Totem Inquisitor as my first char this league and got bored because my cast speed was too low. I'm thinking of either looking for all the cast speed gear or respeccing self cast. A viable char is pretty cheap unless you go CI.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    excellent, that's exactly my reason for wanting to be in one, just like having that chatter going on while I'm playing. much appreciated!

I just keep global up for chatting while playing

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm probably just a ginormous asshole about it, but I absolutely detest spell totem support.
    I look at the cast speed penalty and the fact that spell totem adds no multiplicative dps modifier (it's essentially around x1 at level 20).
    Overall, it looks simpler to go pizza blaster on Elementalist, with far fewer of the handling problems involved owing to cast speed while also circumventing reflect anyway.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    My CI PF BV character is lvl 72 now, I bought the +spell dmg vinktar. It's crazy strong, as long as it's up (it's almost always up), unless I get 1 shot I'm at 100% ES constantly.

• Options
    What. Templar is stupid easy. Like way easier than Shadow, Ranger or Witch. He's the tank-caster style where the others are decidedly glassier.
    All your early self-caster/totem builds can just be some glorified variation of this simple tree.
    Here you go.
    Rushing Mind over Matter just turns all your early mana into free hitpoints. Making you stupidly tanky for early game.

I won't disagree that Mind over Matter is strong just that I wouldn't recommend it to someone new. when you take damage and then have no mana is super frustrating until you spec into enough mana regen. that said Templar probably is the best newbie caster option.

Heirophant is not a super intuitive ascendancy. I think it's underrated though. I'd recommend the "fifth link" points over the 10% MoM for easier gearing. Free resist penetration and AoE are so nice.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I don't think it's ever been an issue with Clarity up. Especially once Spell Echo kicks in.
    After 4th Hierophant point and enough mana reduction, it's pretty much a non-issue.
    Divine Guidance is 150 base mana, which is too good to pass up for a MoM based build.

This is my current Mind Over Matter. All my mana would drain before I rip, so those are effective hitpoints before I die to hits.
    0q5kfg3li8f5.png
    Downside is that degeneration doesn't apply to mana. So I have to carry a staunching stibnite.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    man having a real life job is killing my gaming time. I really haven't even started with PoE but I am really planning to waste my weekend with it.

@aresprophet I don't wanna be a pain but a starting tree for any of the classes would be much appreciated. I have played this game into late 2nd difficulty (this was probably over a year ago, I'm not exactly sure, maybe 2 years) but I never feel comfortable and I always start taking non-survival nodes earlier than I should. they are just so appealing haha

idk what it is, I have trouble evaluating numbers... I guess in my defense you need to know the systems fo the game to properly evaluate how much life is worth taking vs. defense or resists or life regen and all that. and you need to plan ahead like, if your mana will be counted as life then mana regen is much more valuable... and as I said in another thread that kicked our convo off, I am awful at moving forward without a plan but i also don't really knowthe game well enough to understand the builds (or accumulate the gear) you see on the Poe forums.

but I'd love to just get to the endgame with something basic so I could start on that grind, doing runs and getting some wealth. nothing crazy (or maybe something crazy) but I am craving that and WoW isn't working for me (I resubbed after years and it just doesn't click) and d3 just doesn't compel me to ever play something new.

sorry to ramble haha. the starting marauder tree you mentioned would help me a whole bunch. if you have them bookmarked or it's not a pain for you I'd take duelist too just since you mentioned it.

thanks so much and again sorry for the rambly post :D

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Vari I will post some trees later when I get home and am not on mobile

as a hardcore player my opinion is that there's no such thing as too much defense so I weight heavily toward Path of Life Nodes passive trees. Part of why I like Earthquake is even after getting nerfed it is still stupidly strong with a good weapon so you can become tanky early on

I ripped my Chieftain to Canyon boss (shocked ground) so I'm rolling a Slayer of some kind. ItsYoji has a ground slam build i kinda want to try but I might go lacerate instead. We'll see.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Additional editorializing:

It's my opinion that Hardcore players go through a general evolution.
    The tendency is to play cautiously and more defensively. Later they tend to develop more aggressive or balanced/adaptable styles.
    There are outliers of course, such as crazy pants adrenaline junkies that will go hard and fast on everything.

Generally speaking, I'm evolving to the adaptable style that tries to balance offense-defensive mechanics in a functional and holistic way. Generally to mixed success.
    My best and favorite mechanic defensively so far is the Hierophant mentioned above.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm probably just a ginormous asshole about it, but I absolutely detest spell totem support.
    I look at the cast speed penalty and the fact that spell totem adds no multiplicative dps modifier (it's essentially around x1 at level 20).
    Overall, it looks simpler to go pizza blaster on Elementalist, with far fewer of the handling problems involved owing to cast speed while also circumventing reflect anyway.

Ok, so at level 20, a totem is basically a 0% more modifier on it's own. The thing is, you never use it on it's own. If you're running a totem specific build, you have Ancestral Recall so you can get a 2nd totem. So, now you have a 100% more modifier. And you have the option of running the unique chest for a third (if you want to deal with the drawback) giving you a 200% more modifier.

Totems bring in additional benefits as well. It's another friendly mob that can be a target, meaning that not everything is focused on you. So it adds to your defense. You don't have to worry about reflect maps, because you don't take any reflect damage. You don't have to worry about corrupting blood, because your totems pick up the stacks.

It's also a "fire and forget" skill, which let's you focus on manually avoiding damage sources. Boss drops fire on the ground? It's much easier to focus on avoiding the fire and occasionally replacing a totem. Piety firing high damage ice shot arrows at you in a minus max shrine? Drop a couple of totems between you and her and let them take the hits.

The only reason Ranged Attack Totems aren't as popular is because Ancestral Recall is across the tree from Ranger.

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I chanced a pair of skyforth boots last night! The only problem now is I'm not sure if I should sell them (~40ex) or try to use them. I guess the obvious build would be a lowlife blade vortex which I could probably put together, but I don't really like BV that much.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Heffling wrote: »

Ok, so at level 20, a totem is basically a 0% more modifier on it's own. The thing is, you never use it on it's own. If you're running a totem specific build, you have Ancestral Recall so you can get a 2nd totem. So, now you have a 100% more modifier. And you have the option of running the unique chest for a third (if you want to deal with the drawback) giving you a 200% more modifier.

Totems bring in additional benefits as well. It's another friendly mob that can be a target, meaning that not everything is focused on you. So it adds to your defense. You don't have to worry about reflect maps, because you don't take any reflect damage. You don't have to worry about corrupting blood, because your totems pick up the stacks.

It's also a "fire and forget" skill, which let's you focus on manually avoiding damage sources. Boss drops fire on the ground? It's much easier to focus on avoiding the fire and occasionally replacing a totem. Piety firing high damage ice shot arrows at you in a minus max shrine? Drop a couple of totems between you and her and let them take the hits.

The only reason Ranged Attack Totems aren't as popular is because Ancestral Recall is across the tree from Ranger.

Actually I misspoke earlier and it's closer to 0.5 modifier per totem (0.74 damage multiplier * 0.7 cast speed modifier = 0.518 dps mod).
    You can intellectualize the dps value of a lot of gems this way. (Spell Echo is 0.9 less damage times 1.7 more cast speed.)
    So it just barely breaks even as a dualie totem.
    It's at this point that I figure you may as well run Warchief, Shockwave, Ballista or Flame totems. At least this way you have more skill gem slots to work with.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You can't support totem skills with Spell Echo.

Having played Warchief, it is magnitudes more powerful than any other totem build. Inquisitor FB totems come close on Igniteable bosses but has much lower general clear speed.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm not saying that you can. I'm saying that you can figure out the dps contribution of a support by multiplying out its modifiers.
    And mind you, I'm assuming Spell Totem is level 20. For most of the game, it's actually just a penalty to damage.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    mccart wrote: »
    I chanced a pair of skyforth boots last night! The only problem now is I'm not sure if I should sell them (~40ex) or try to use them. I guess the obvious build would be a lowlife blade vortex which I could probably put together, but I don't really like BV that much.

Congratulations!!!!! That's amazing. You did forget the third option, which is to just give them to me! That seems to be the most reasonable choice IMO

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »

Congratulations!!!!! That's amazing. You did forget the third option, which is to just give them to me! That seems to be the most reasonable choice IMO

Ha! I've probably chanced 500 so far this season and haven't even got a lousy Steppan Eard.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    @variable ok so

Earthquake Marauder trees at
    25 points

45 points (around Normal Malachai)

75 points (around Cruel Malachai) - if you use axes instead of maces, switch the Skull Cracking / Bone Breaker wheel on the far left to the Cleaving / Slaughter wheel just below it, and the 3 points at Blunt Instrument to Martial Experience. you can also drop one or both of the 30 int/dex nodes if you don't need them and/or the Versatility nodes at Marauder start.

past that you want to start thinking about more jewel sockets, endurance charges, life nodes, and going over to Duelist for the Destroyer wheel and all those notables in that area. You don't need much attack speed or mana (put Blood Magic on Leap Slam, and get some trivial amount of mana leech on a piece of gear and you're set) so you can spend more points getting damage, armor, and life.

For an endgame target I'd aim for something like this tree at level 84. If you can get there, you'll be ready to do some of the toughest maps.

You bandit choice should be Oak in all difficulties. Life is always the best choice unless you're going CI or lowlife, physical damage is superior to attack speed for this build (though usually it's the opposite), and stacking endurance charges is strong. You could go Kraityn in Merciless if you're aiming for more damage though.

Your ascendancy can be either Berserker or Juggernaut, I like the tankiness of Jugg (being immune to slow, always having full endurance charges) but Berserker is probably a better pick overall for leech and damage reasons. I try to do Normal lab around 40, Cruel lab around 65, and Merciless lab when I feel ready for it (usually between 75 and 80). You can do it earlier if you don't mind a higher risk of death.

You can convert that build to a Duelist (for the Slayer ascendancy) by changing around a few starting passive points, but it levels very differently and doesn't get Resolute Technique until level 40 or later. Probably a stronger late-game choice though especially if you plan on farming uber labyrinth (that 20% cull is nuts)

I hope this help you see how to level a character a bit. You want a good balance of damage and defense, especially as a melee character where going glass cannon will just be frustrating even in softcore.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Ha! I've probably chanced 500 so far this season and haven't even got a lousy Steppan Eard.

I don't think you can chance a Steppan Eard unless you're in a warbands map.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Because I'm boring, I decided to roll another RF character. LiftingNerdBro has a new 2.4 RF Marauder build that I have decided to follow. I already bought a 5 link Carcass Jack with the correct colors. I want a Koam's Heart eventually but man those are not cheap. I was able to clear tier 11 last season, but I never had a tier 12 drop, I'd like to see how far I can take this build this time.
    Heffling wrote: »

I don't think you can chance a Steppan Eard unless you're in a warbands map.

But what about chancing a Steppenwolf? That's the real question.

Aktn Bstrd on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    But what about chancing a Steppenwolf? That's the real question.

Better than your odds of chancing a pair of Lynforth Skynforths, that's for sure.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Is there any way to make the game launch faster? Mine takes 10+ minutes every time I try to start it up. If there's a patch it's pretty much fucked for the entire evening.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is there any way to make the game launch faster? Mine takes 10+ minutes every time I try to start it up. If there's a patch it's pretty much fucked for the entire evening.

I turned off the preloading and that helped immensely with startup. It takes 2-3 minutes usually now. But loading screens are often just as long (in town areas mostly) so I wouldn't recommend it

It also takes me 30 minutes to install a patch as small as 5 MB. Sometimes longer. It's my understanding that a solid state drive is pretty much necessary to fix these issues. And my ancient Core i3 probably needs an upgrade too.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Even with a solid state it takes forever to install patches in this game. They did something with 2.1 or 2.2 that started this, because it didn't use to be like that.

But for load times, yes a solid state is a god send. game takes about 5 seconds to start up, 2 second load screen /Kreygasm.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    I have a non-solid toaster.
    It hasn't taken more than a few seconds to load up, if that.
    Recent patches have made a few things a lot more livable.

• Options
    I have a non-solid toaster.
    It hasn't taken more than a few seconds to load up, if that.
    Recent patches have made a few things a lot more livable.

GGG mentioned offhandedly back when preloading rolled out that they were looking into why some players had inordinately long patch times that didn't seem to be hardware dependent

I definitely get the problem. 21MB patch the other day took 40 minutes. And yeah I feel like it started back at 2.1 but I couldn't say for sure

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Remind me, what increases RF dmg? Increased elemental, fire, burning, and (obviously life) aoe anything else? I have like 15 levels to go until I can actually use RF, looking forward to it!

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Man leveling with face breakers shield charge is the truth. I'm sick of ripping and gonna do a max block bleed gladiator or something and Im just mindlessly holding down shield charge while killing anything I touch.

And on that note, fuck AW builds for pretty much making every face breaker build cost an arm and a leg. Why the FUCK is Great old one shield 30+ chaos. You could get that thing for a few chaos earlier this year. Add a higher tier physical dmg mod for shields GGG you scumbags.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    I just had a Vaal Haste drop, thats a nice ability

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I hit level 90 on my trapper. He has 97% lightning penetration, but 100% is thoroughly achievable without Vinktar's. Just don't have the heart do develop the build further.
    The problem is that I went Trapper for 10% pen from High Explosive, but I'd probably been better served just going a more conventional self caster and accepting around 88 or 90% lightning pen instead, and it'd have more reliable dps and be much tankier. But blargh. I've already rolled so many arcists that it's not even funny.

Well at least I pretty much have thorough experience with Hierophant Mind-over-Matter now.

Time to do something new.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well, I had a good feeling about Vaaling that Ornate Strongbox but...
    08dz431i161v.jpg
    What do I do with this? Can anyone suggest a price or do I settle for a Divine? I'm doing as EssenceDrain/Contagion build and I don't really like those socket colors.

Absalon on
    6L.JPG 28.4K
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Divines are about 10c or so, that chest could probably sell for 20-30 at least, probably not a lot more I think.

• Options
    finally reached 65 on my righteous fire build, time to straighten out the rest of my gems, resists, and gear and I will be good to go. already have the carcass jack with correct colors, the rest shouldn't be too difficult

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Absalon wrote: »
    Well, I had a good feeling about Vaaling that Ornate Strongbox but...
    08dz431i161v.jpg
    What do I do with this? Can anyone suggest a price or do I settle for a Divine? I'm doing as EssenceDrain/Contagion build and I don't really like those socket colors.

Level 8 Vorici can recolor pretty easily. But you really can't expect to use him except to get fairly reasonable red socket combinations, since it costs an additional Vaal orb for every chrom you spend at him.
    Actually I might buy it if you catch me on sometime.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    First red map. Things are heating up.

But goddamn regular Atziri still crushes me. I can do Whirling Blades all over the place but the instant I try to pause just to cast Essence Drain at her I'm paste.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh, I probably should've asked if you're on HC.
    If not, then I can't buy such a thing.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Oh, I probably should've asked if you're on HC.
    If not, then I can't buy such a thing.

Sorry, this I am not. I have way too many lag spikes in my current apartment and I really like hunting for top-tier essences.