As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

_J__J_ PedantRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
10472405015_2a0c5e457a_o.jpg

Special thanks to previous thread daddy: @Spawnbroker

What is this game?
Path of Exile is like Diablo 2 had sex with Final Fantasy VII's materia system and had a fucked up baby with Final Fantasy X's sphere grid.
Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customization, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

It also has a skill tree:
passives.jpg

PA Guild
GM: @themightypuck
Officer: @_J_
Officer: @Anon the Felon
Officer: @Pacificstar
Add your information to the PA Google Spreadsheet

Generally Helpful Sites
Social
FAQ
Which is better to save my ass in Hardcore: alt+F4 or esc+logout?
kazanma wrote: »
The lead dev has stated on Reddit that both esc+logout and alt+F4 behave the same way, and the lead programmer thinks alt+F4 could possibly be faster than esc+logout from a code standpoint. Audio drivers that don't play nice with POE may also introduce delays in the alt+F4 process (you wouldn't be shutting down the audio subsystem with esc+logout).

Both methods are subject to whatever server latency you have as well, which can be significant when grouped with people around the world or if your gateway is not ideal. If I group with my friend in Asia and he creates the instance, his ping will stay the same and mine will shoot up and vice versa.

References:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1jhehf/so_is_altf4_an_automatic_logout_or_noti_see_lots/
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/17zjou/today_i_learned_that_altf4_is_not_instant_and_can/c8a9k0u

The following is just my speculation:
I think when you alt+F4, on the server side any action that your character is doing will complete first. So if you are punctured and hit alt+F4 while you are running away, you can still die if you told your char to go really far.

What is the Vendor Recipe to make X?
Vendor Recipes

How do I open the instance manager to farm Merv again?
ctrl+click the entrance to the instance

How do you link items in a chat window?
alt+ctrl+click

I want to contribute to the guild fund. How is this done?
Go to the PoE website. Log into your account, and go to your account page. On the right, under your account name, there's Guild: Wangs of Exile. The guild name is a link. Click on it. Now there will be two tabs: 'Overview' (where you are now) and 'My Transactions.' Click on My Transactions. There will be a box for transferring points from your account to the Guild account.

Individual tabs are on sale, but not bundles. Will the bundles ever be on sale?
Yes.

_J_ on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2014
    Skills / Gems / Mechanics you likely do not understand, and how they work.
    General Gameplay
    Character Builds
    Item / Trade Data
    Twenty Sided's Currency Primer
    A Primer to Currency
    There are any number of websites out there that will report values for currency, both Hardcore and Softcore.
    The unfortunate caveat is these likely post the owners' personal opinion or are vote-based and may not necessarily reflect conditions that you find in the wild. Take them with a grain of salt.
    Another caveat I must offer before moving forward is that most my experience is limited to Hardcore only, and even then, only after a long hiatus.

What I can tell you with a certainty is that some currencies are stable because the vendor will always beat those prices one way or another. That's not to say that all vendor recipes are favorable, quite a number of them are just downright terrible.

So let's start with a common sense example.
    A Scouring Orb and a Alchemy Orb together is functionally a Chaos Orb.
    By this logic, a Chaos Orb is 2 Alchemy or 2 Scouring.
    For this reason, Chaos Orb values tend to retain extremely stable values.

Now let's talk about the cottage industry of forging your own currencies!
    First, find any vendor that is selling Jeweler's and Fusings.
    Examine their rates, because this will be the key to unlocking a slow if steady income.
    8 Alteration = 4 Jeweler's = 1 Fusing

By a common sense evaluation, all these orbs are extremely useful one way or another to the right buyer.
    People wanting to craft gear affix-by-affix will want Alterations in bulk. (Though I wouldn't recommend selling to them because it's a buyer's market.)
    And people will always want to modify the sockets on equipment.
    Again, this is the main reason Fusings will remain highly stable in value.
    Another important figure.
    1 Fusing = 1 Alchemy

You can farm Alterations by ID'ing every blue/yellow piece under the sun. Unidentified items will sell for Transmutation shards/orbs and can be sold for their respective Wisdom fragment or Scroll. You can convert the Alterations at your leisure into Jewelers or Fusings, however you need them. This is a great boon for lower level players and will help give you a bit of seed money to help break into higher content. If you're willing to underwrite the risk, you can use the Fusings to try and make 5L's or 6L's.

I regard these middle range currencies as the stablest and safest. Anything not mentioned gets more complicated, and depends a lot on what game mode you're in and whatever their respective market conditions happen to be. Some higher range currencies are highly prized but can be volatile and are simply unknowns left open to auction. Anything smaller tends to be so beneath notice as to be worthless on the open market. And much depends upon experience and common sense evaluation of what these currencies can do for the owner. I leave these to your judgment, but can offer some general commentary. The following paragraphs are fluff, so don't take them too seriously. It's a giant wall of meandering text in the spoiler below and you can skip them safely without harming your understanding. The most important basics are outlined above.
    Orb of Regret: When I was starting out they were theoretically, supposed to be two Alchs. After all, the vendor enforces them at two Scourings, right? Well no. The market here is much sketchier, simply because quests give a healthy amount of respec points and it's highly unlikely people will need enough of them to generate serious demand. In practice, if you can find somebody to pay you a full Chaos for it, they're probably too stupid rich to care about losing an Alch of value over it. And they're not likely to buy that many off you. And nobody will accept them as legal tender in trades for items. Keep a private stash stocked away in case you need them, but don't expect to use them as money.

Exalted Orbs: Enjoyed vogue for a time as high-level mappers tended to consume them by making maps with even more affixes, though this may change on open launch. At rough approximation, Hardcore had them go from between 20 to 22 Chaos, but I don't doubt this value is subject to radical changes over time. Exalted Orbs tend to be the currency of choice for large purchases. Reasonably valuable uniques might go for a single Exalt, and desirable high quality gem can push an exalted plus. Truly god-tier equipment with good rolls are simply a question of whoever is willing to bid more. Incidentally, Exalted are used for crafting end-game equipment too.

Gemcutter's Prism (GCP for short): They have fallen out of favor recently in Hardcore. They may range from anywhere between 1 to 1.5 chaos at a very rough approximation (previously they were 3 chaos). It may have climbed back up, hell if I know. They used to be a trade currency used in purchases, which is part of my confusion, as they no longer serve that role. Long story short, it was realized that they had little value outside of being a trade currency and people would rather spend them to improve already high-quality drops, meaning that quality gems value isn't determined by GCP's at all. After a general panic, people attempted to unload their hoarded reserves, consequently flushing the GCP's value down the drain. I'd guess most individuals actually now use these orbs as they obtain them and few are ever likely to want to go out of their way to buy more than a handful at a time.

Mirror of Kalanda: Inestimably valuable. The line of reasoning is that that the number of godly jaw-dropping rares can only increase over time and that demand for Mirrors can only go up.

Eternal Orb: I don't even know. And I don't pretend to.

Regal Orb: It's definitely not a trade currency. But unlike the Orb of Regret, it's value is obvious to most people, although it has a very niche purpose in crafting only. I'd estimate that you might be able to buy one in HC for about 1.5 to 2 Chaos. But again, this number is anything but a definite figure as I've been out of the loop for some time.

Chromatic Orbs: You occasionally find people who want to buy them in bulk for 20 to the Chaos. They're not extremely valuable, but generally you want to have them on hand as it's a pain to try and buy them off other people.

Augmentations, Transmutes and other small currencies too small to note: Valueless. Or practically so.

Chance Orbs: These are enforced 4:1 against Fusing by vendors. So theoretically you can figure their value from that. I've seen them used as trade items a little more recently, though that may simply be a consequence of beta ending and people trying to roll legacy uniques. It's a somewhat niche item, but they're not entirely valueless either.

As a final note on etiquette. Assume that there is a unspoken rule on minimum bid raises and starting offers when you go into auctions. It may not be explicitly stated, but it's almost insulting to kick off a bid on an item far below it's actual value or to raise a bid by a single Chaos when the item is worth several Exalted or more.

Previous Threads

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    logo.jpg

Rampage - Standard Challenge League
    Built entirely around the notion of maintaining a kill-streak Rampage League players will grow faster in attacks, faster in movement, and stronger as they keep their Rampage alive. You'll have 5 seconds between kills to keep it going, and as you hit the many tiers of Rampage, different effects can be triggered. One that Chris mentioned were Novas: these can stun all enemies, explode all enemies, or even summon spirit weapons to defend you. But one o Chris' favorites is the Cyclone at kill-streak 325. If you manage to keep the streak alive for that many enemies, all nearby corpses will explode, creating a cacophony of gore that's just a sight to behold.

Beyond - Hardcore Challenge League
    August 15

Masters Videos

_J_ on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit we made it to a new thread. Happy thread PoE.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so, should I roll up a new hardcore character now, or wait til august 20th. These are the questions that need answering.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I'd wait, @TheKoolEagle‌

Also, I'm a guild officer too.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I'm so conflicted on what to make for the expansion.

I want to do an EE build with rotating spells.

Because you gotta roll hard, if you want to be a G.

• Options
    Also, I'm a guild officer too.

Added

• Options
    The 1 Month Leagues ended, so some of you may have a few 'Remove Only' tabs to deal with.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So everyone in the guild pretty much plays hardcore is that correct? I guess I should learn to do that.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    So everyone in the guild pretty much plays hardcore is that correct? I guess I should learn to do that.

That tends to be the case.

But I think the new Rampage league may change that. Rampage seems like it could be a lot of fun, if you ignore the desync problems it will cause.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The faster you move the less desync you have. That's part of why Cyclone is so awful about it.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    if they remove surgeons my preorder is canceled

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Actually, I don't think they will. But it would be pretty funny.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

I mostly play the 4 month softcore leagues just because I have time constraints and would someday like to make it to endgame content.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Anon the Felon‌ I have had good experience doing elemental trapper. It's a unique playstyle, doesn't require a lot in the way of gear, and can really maximize the power of EE.

Edit: I'm going to wait on deciding what to do until I see the new skills and tree that comes out.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I mostly play the 4 month softcore leagues just because I have time constraints and would someday like to make it to endgame content.

Ah good, we're in the same boat! I'm only playing regular softcore right now, but when the new league starts I'll probably do that. If you ever want to party, hit me up.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I tried to dabble back in standard, but I think I need the pull of the new expansion content to keep me going.

Mostly I just want to know all the new skills, so I can make a cool dude.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    This cannot come out fast enough. I also want to know what the new HC league is going to have. If its even half as awesome as softcore sounds, I am totally still on board.

Otherwise its time to roll a carebear. Because rampage sounds pretty damn great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zeyFAKE.png

• Options
    I found a Rise of the Phoenix is HC, while running the Maelstrom of Chaos unique map with my Ice shotter. Time to start leveling a marauder for the first time since I started playing again! Something new and fun to do

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    RoP isn't just for RF. DD and Flameblast use it to handle reflect more easily as well.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    RoP isn't just for RF. DD and Flameblast use it to handle reflect more easily as well.

ya but I'm curious about RF now

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm pleased that it went well for MEGADICKSONFIRE.

EDIT: I've been screwing around with Flame Surge, and it's pretty powerful. Level 19 gem in a 4 link Infernal Mantle is giving me about 26k damage on the tooltip, and on top of that comes curse damage reduction, the added bonus enemies take while on fire (I'm using burning ground since it's only needed for very few enemies), which is significant, and the shocks I'm generating from wearing a Three Dragons helmet, since there's no reason not to use that.

Range and width of the cone isn't great, though.

Grislo on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I got a 61 shadow that's also doing firetrap/flame surge with 3 dragons. I just got capped again after equipping a lightning coil. Got MoM, lvl 12 AA atm and 2k HP :D:D:D

• Options
    I like that it's easily powerful enough that you can go pretty defensive.

• Options
    I was levelling the shadow to be a crit EK but I got flame surge in normal act 2 from a quest and it did more tooltip DPS unlinked at lvl 1 than EK with 2 supports.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    well you shouldn't be using EK till cruel difficulty anyways. EK's aoe is also much larger than flame surge. They aren't really comparable imo.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so, because I couldn't wait for the 20th I was shitting around on a witch I had made a long time ago, and I got her up to level 32 (standard league), I'm in act 3 and I need to kill this general guy, and I can't even fucking break his energy shield. He melts my minions in seconds and fucks me up too fast to stand around and blast him.

Did I essentially fuck myself in shitty skill placement? I've never run into a problem like this before so I'm not sure if he is supposed to just be a total kick in the dick or what

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    You don't have to kill the general. Just go back and do him later.

• Options
    You could try running some different potions, those can help a lot. Do you have a minion heal pot? Or just cheese it with ~10 portals to refill your pots/health.

• Options
    so, because I couldn't wait for the 20th I was shitting around on a witch I had made a long time ago, and I got her up to level 32 (standard league), I'm in act 3 and I need to kill this general guy, and I can't even fucking break his energy shield. He melts my minions in seconds and fucks me up too fast to stand around and blast him.

Did I essentially fuck myself in shitty skill placement? I've never run into a problem like this before so I'm not sure if he is supposed to just be a total kick in the dick or what

The general is kind of a jerk. An inability to kill him does not indicate that your character is lousy.

He serves as kind of a gear check. I killed him in Merciless last night with my searing bond duder, and it took a while.

If you need / want help I can come pop him for you.

• Options
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    I corrupted a Soul Taker today hehe, fun way to gamble with 40+ exalts. All it got was a white socket tough.

I started a ranger last week in standard for fun and have cashed in about 60 exalts already, some insane luck with drops and crafting on this one.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    StickymaddnessStickymaddness Registered User regular
    How about a new Procurement release for Forsaken Masters?

• Options

Great idea!

Procurement is a fantastic program. Thank you so much for the continued updates.

• Options
    StickymaddnessStickymaddness Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Great idea!

Procurement is a fantastic program. Thank you so much for the continued updates.

No problem! I'm not very active here, but happy to answer questions or help out with issues any time.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I'm conflicted on what build to do first. Fire trap/flamesurge seems like it would be the easiest, though I'm thinking of maybe doing arc/ball lightning something, put one in a spell totem and spell echo the other, might be interesting. I want to do MF flaming skulls but I think I need to have specific gems for that to really work out so it's more of a 2nd/3rd character kind of thing....

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Skill tree reveal is tomorrow, plus they're adding a few new skills and changing a bunch of old ones, at least the mana cost.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    this is a cool item

Scythe7.jpg

i would use it for manual discharging and infinite diamond flasks
    sounds OP

actually this item looks kind of broken, let's hope they dont nerf it..

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Slow attack speed, low crit chance. It's fine.

76561197968655073.png