As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    I started doing low lvl maps on Rampage. My DPS and survivability seems to be adequate.

Anyone else close to act 3 Merciless on Rampage?

I'm not in the guild (kicked for inactivity I suppose?), but I'm doing maps on Rampage.

Nice to know you can get to higher lvl maps with blues. I was thinking I should stick to those since they seem better for exp anyway, and so much cheaper :P

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Not at all. Partly its because D2's itemization was simple enough that if you were running a build that didn't need the defense stat on armor (which was basically all of them), any mid-level base unique with interesting properties could be useful, especially in ladder where the base type could be upgraded. Shako, Mara's amulets, skins of the viper, Nat's boots, aldurs boots, IK pieces except the armor, (hell, most of the end game sets had 2-3 pieces that were common as dirt and reasonably useful), Goblin Toes and Gore Rider boots, Skullder's Ire, Ribcracker, etc, etc. None of those are high TC drops - all but the shako/maras you wouldn't even bother to pick up after a while most likely. But all of them could be used to finish the game easily, and many were common MF gear. A bunch of them can also drop from Meph in Nightmare, although much more rarely.

More importantly, while any given unique was rare as a drop, just getting ANY unique from Meph was common enough that it was unusual to go 10 runs in a row with absolutely nothing to show for it. It might be a common unique you already had 10 of, but just the constant trickle of uniques made it seem like it COULD happen the next run, and I've never had that kind of success over time with uniques or currency in PoE.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Not at all. Partly its because D2's itemization was simple enough that if you were running a build that didn't need the defense stat on armor (which was basically all of them), any mid-level base unique with interesting properties could be useful, especially in ladder where the base type could be upgraded. Shako, Mara's amulets, skins of the viper, Nat's boots, aldurs boots, IK pieces except the armor, (hell, most of the end game sets had 2-3 pieces that were common as dirt and reasonably useful), Goblin Toes and Gore Rider boots, Skullder's Ire, Ribcracker, etc, etc. None of those are high TC drops - all but the shako/maras you wouldn't even bother to pick up after a while most likely. But all of them could be used to finish the game easily, and many were common MF gear. A bunch of them can also drop from Meph in Nightmare, although much more rarely.

More importantly, while any given unique was rare as a drop, just getting ANY unique from Meph was common enough that it was unusual to go 10 runs in a row with absolutely nothing to show for it. It might be a common unique you already had 10 of, but just the constant trickle of uniques made it seem like it COULD happen the next run, and I've never had that kind of success over time with uniques or currency in PoE.

Really? That is odd. I find that I get uniques at a similar rate to what I remember Mephisto dropping. In the past...I'd say hour or so I found a Quill Rain and a Blackheart's ring. Are they useless? At this point, yeah. But they still dropped.

I find it very odd that you aren't even getting shit uniques. I am only at 100ish IIR.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I'm doing low level maps on a 65 duelist on Rampage.

• Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Are you in teh guild?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I think the difference between D2 and PoE is the comparative end game.

I mean you can farm crap you can clear lunaris or Spire pretty much anywhere. If your end goal is killing Dominus, which would be comparable to D2 end game, then more power to you.

Nothing to really compare to maps or atziri shenanigans.

So with that in mind PoE more then easily delivers. Maps? I dunno, there are core uniques but mostly I get better slot mileage out of rare items. Especially with new crafting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Crap, got 11th rampage tier with 600+ kills. Felt so close to completing the challenge, then ran out of monsters. +46% pack size map, too :\

I think PoE bosses don't necessarily drop substantially less mid-range items, but a lot of them are rare, which aren't as exciting as uniques. From what I remember of D2 LoD, you used uniques on nearly every slot eventually since they were just better than rares.

I think I'm getting an unique every maybe 10-15 Dom runs though, with 66% iir and 56% more from iir gem, which I only bother applying on rares/bosses. The uniques are nearly all near worthless though, which is annoying. I've found Geofri's Crest, Aurseizes, 20% Goldwyrm, 4 (!) Rise of the Phoenix, crap rolled Carnage Heart. All of which are less than 15c. The rest have been alch-1c range crap, only good for vaaling/leveling. I do find it really annoying how most of the uniques you can build around / actually use in the endgame are so rare you might as well except never to see any of them unless you can trade up to it.

Keemossi on
  • Options
    Just did a map where all the mobs had fracture. Had not seen that before.

It was p. great.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I'm building a 1H+Shield Duelist with Molten Strike on Rampage. Just really getting started, but this is the 100 point passive tree for it. Haven't put much thought into which equipment will be used yet, but how does it look? Any suggestions?

• Options
    I had a map from the cartographer earlier where all mops had fracture, and all monsters were sea witches & spawn. So many corpses.

Fracture maps are kind of awful without piercing aoe.

• Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Whoohoo, beat Dominus for the first time ever! Starting on cruel now...

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Are you in teh guild?

No, I'm in a guild with a few friends.

• Options
    I tried so.ethong new last night: going low life to get the extra 100 IIQ on those boots. With 250IIQ, I almost managed to put together a rare set running the fellshrine for about an hour, and also saw quite a bit more currency drop.

I think I may just need to get dedicated about jacking IIQ up to insane levels. Kinda have to be okay with up and dying occasionally though; I only had 800 or so life.

• Options
    You're going low life on your 2h mace marauder?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Not making a single chaos recipe would be really shitty. 9 out of 10 rares aren't even worth the ID scroll and time you spent clicking on them, 2 chaos are pretty nice. The jewelery is a lot less common than armour/weapons, how viable is it to find white rings/amulets/belt and alch them for potential upgrades? Or is this just losing money? I used to check poexchange.info for rates but that's gone offline. All I know is that alt:chrome is roughly 1:1, chaos is 17 to 20 alts, exalt is around 30 chaos now.

Where do alch/GCP/Fusing stand? I've seen 80 transmutes for a chaos offers, any demand for augmentations now as well?

Currently prices to Chaos on Rampage are around:
    160:1 - Wisdom
    40:1 - Transmute (you can vendor them for 160 wisdom)
    60:1 - Augments (not alot of trading in these)
    16:1 - Alterations/Chrome
    8:1 - Jewelers
    2:1 - Fusing
    5:2 - Alc/Scour
    8:1 - Chance
    5:4 - Regret
    80:1 - Armor Scraps (you can vendor them for 160 wisdom)
    40:1 - Whetstones (you can vendor them for 160 wisdom)
    1:2 - Regal/GCP
    1:9-11 - Divine
    1:32-34 - Exalted

Keep in mind that there's three chaos recipes: ID, UnID, and 20% Quality. So, all those junk items you've ID'd can still be traded in the same as the UnID recipe, but you get 1 chaos instead of 2. If you are alcing jewelery (rings/ammy), at worst you're spending 3 alcs and the opportunity cost of about 2 alterations (from the shard sales on the other 6-7 items) to get a chaos. So you're using about 5/8ths of an alc to potentially get a sellable item on three pieces of jewelry. You can get upgrades or sellable items from this, and it's generally worthwhile.

Any zone in Act 3 Merciless will drop items of sufficient ilvl to do the chaos recipe, including docks and city of sarn. If you're cold resist is capped and you're hitting around lvl 70, I recommend leveling further in catacombs or library (bring a sapphire flask). You'll get higher ilvl items, which can have better mods, and you won't suffer the overlevel penalty until around 75.

P.S. Don't do the quality recipe. You can sell the scraps/stones for more than you'll get out of it.
    I started doing low lvl maps on Rampage. My DPS and survivability seems to be adequate.

Anyone else close to act 3 Merciless on Rampage?

I'm level 84, so yes.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    You're going low life on your 2h mace marauder?
    Temporarily for currency farming in Fellshrine; I just tossed a 40% aura on blood magic into those boots. With that setup I have 185% IIR on my GS and 255% IIR on my HS, and about 800 life.

I died once, to a death explosion I missed in the description. Other than that it was actually pretty cake, since absolutely everything was either a one shot or guaranteed stun. As long as I kept an eye out for exiles and dumped the aura as soon as I saw them it was fine.

And man, that extra 100% IIR makes a big difference. I found about 1.5C in currency and nearly made a chaos recipe although as always...jewelry.

Too bad there's absolutely no way I could run Docks like that...or is there?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    And man, that extra 100% IIR makes a big difference.

Indeed

• Options
    Yep, Rampage is civilization. I'm still building the same way, that habit isnt going to suddenly change, but it feels damn good to just mow through dudes instead of having to keep stopping to deal with slow aura demon spawns every minute.

Also the mass AoE stun at 15 kills is pretty nice

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I managed to find a 450 DPS mace for 6 chaos. Yeah. That'll help.

• Options

So, to summarize, your problems were
    • Not wearing Item Find gear, to find items.
    • Not utilizing a weapon that dealt damage, to deal damage.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    magic find is stupid

though my stack of legacy iiq gems will sell for a lot

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2014

So, to summarize, your problems were
    • Not wearing Item Find gear, to find items.
    • Not utilizing a weapon that dealt damage, to deal damage.
    No, I used IIQ gear; like I said I was at about 150 IIQ for my previous farming. I just apparently couldn't stack enough of it to matter without intentionally reducing my life by 80%.

Likewise I had the best weapon I could afford (I'm pretty sure I actually spent more on it than I did on this vastly superior replacement).

The fact that I got a great deal on an item doesn't suddenly make the mechanical shortcomings of the game vanish.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    So after an evening doing IIR/IIQ Dom runs with a split group. I have come to these conclusions:
    • Rampage is civilization.
    • Split MF group runs are society.
    • Hardcore is so very, very dumb.

Whatever sense of achievement I got from hardcore has been negated by these 13 tabs of Dominus rares.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I Ripp'ed today. I accidentally used Vaal Detonate dead against an ele reflect mob... was kinda dumb.

That said, I don't think I'll re-make flamesurge trapper. It was fun, but it didn't really work well for group play. I don't know what I should make next though.

• Options
    I like hardcore, because I like items having actual value. Which tends to stop being the case in softcore leagues after a month or two. Mechanically though I question my sanity at playing hardcore leagues, since the changes every league make for some unreasonable HC play. I should just stick to the standard HC ladder if I really want to play hardcore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like hardcore, because I like items having actual value.

This is what I thought. Then I remembered that value is interpreted from perception, rather than inherent. So I modified my interpretation.

I think the quantity of enjoyment gained from farming higher level content without concern for mortality is greater than the enjoyment gained from meticulously inching through content, typing /oos every 20 or so seconds. For me, anyway.

Or, rather, at the moment I like focusing on gear acquisition rather than surviving.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Hah, you can put cast on death into your RF links after you turn it on and get the multiplier. Their snapshot fix actually made snapshotting it even stronger.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I honestly feel the dangers of hardcore are greatly overstated most of the time, that or people simply aren't building for hardcore. My last couple of characters ripped all because of my mistakes, I haven't died to desync in god knows how long, hell, I can count of one hand the amount of times I /oos on both chars I'm playing over the last couple of days, one being melee. And I am not inching my way though shit, more like mashing my palm into my keyboard with reckless abandon and everything still dies. After you've played HC for long enough your 3rd eye opens and you can see moves mobs make before they make it, greatly reducing your chances of death. There's a reason people were hitting 50+ with no gear in their stash not even a day after the patch dropped.

The thrill is just not there in SC. I've played with noob friends in rampage and they die all the time then just pop right back into the fight through a portal, it bores me to tears. On the pther hand, knowing you've amassed a fortune of currency and uniques all while giving death the middle finger, gives me a great feeling of superi-I mean of satisfaction, that no SC player could ever understand!!!

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Please no SC v HC wars here. It never ends well.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular

SC always wins because the HC forumers don't respawn :(

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I've apparently reached a point where a lot of the master quests I find out in the wild are too difficult, but the daily quests from the ones in my hideout are super low level. (Which in Vorici's case often also makes them too difficult)

mrflippy on
  • Options

SC always wins because the HC forumers don't respawn :(

I laughed aloud at this.

• Options
    Can the Masters modify a corrupted item?

The only confirmation I have found is that socket colors can be changed. Can affixes be added to corrupted items, too?

• Options
    Something I learned just now
    Crafted mods may not be directly exchanged. They are removed if the item is randomly rerolled using an Orb of Alteration or Chaos Orb. Alternatively, they may be removed for the cost of one Orb of Augmentation at a level 8 bench.

• Options
    Finally got my gear and IIR to a point where I don't suck.
    vgrmxypl0ndk.jpg

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    how do people get enough wisdom scrolls to keep IDing that much stuff constantly?

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    how do people get enough wisdom scrolls to keep IDing that much stuff constantly?
    Perandus is actually quite good for farming scrolls. It gives every mob a 3% chance of dropping one. But mostly ppl just trade for them.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    And really if you're running with any IIQ at all they seem to drop like candy. I've been IDing every rare and I still pile them up faster than I use them most times.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Transmutation orbs and Blacksmith Whetstones both sell for 4 wisdom scrolls at the vendors