As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kayak and driving it around

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
So I'm getting a kayak in the next few days, I have an SUV with a roof rack.

How do I go about putting it on my vehicle and strapping it down? This is a second hand kayak and not one from a store where I'm getting straps or racks or anything.

Any recommendations for straps or stuff I can pick up from home depot or amazon?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    What kind of a rack set up do you have on the roof of your SUV? Flipped upside down, you should be able to pretty handily secure it with some basic motorcycle tie downs, or ratchet-style straps. I would suggest two laterally to hold it down, and one front to back (between the kayak and the vehicle?) to prevent it from sliding.

I would caution against any thing like a bungee strap, as I've seen Kayaks FLY off of vehicles (they act as an airfoil and generate a surprising amount of lift at highway speeds, more so if there is a head wind).

Something like these.
    http://www.amazon.com/Highland-92106-Blue-Cambuckle-Hooks/dp/B0002MAANI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407789979&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+tie+down+straps

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I was imagining, some sort of ratchet style straps to secure it to the rack.

It's just the basic rack you see on SUVs. Two rails on the side and rungs along it.

Qk1H779.jpg

It's that without those cross bars.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    That's what I was picturing, though the cross bars would be handy for the front-back strap... My advice is a half decent motorcycle style strap set up, and maybe something simple like a rope to do the front-back (if there is a place to fasten it on the kayak), considering there is no good hard-point for a third strap on the roof.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    http://paddling.about.com/od/paddling101/ss/kayak_roof_rack.htm

This step-by-step will describe how to secure a canoe or kayak to a factory installed or after market roof rack.

What is this I don't even.
    @BouwsT‌ any recommendations where I can get some cross bars? I'd really prefer that for the safety of everyone else because I don't really trust myself super well for that on my first few runs through.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I tie down the bow and stern too, onto a front tow hook and rear hitch loop.

iTNdmYl.png
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I'm biased, but Yakima makes good stuff. From your description you'd want a RailGrab or a Whispbar Rail Bar.
    This will tell you exactly what'll work with your vehicle.

bowen wrote: »
    @BouwsT‌ any recommendations where I can get some cross bars? I'd really prefer that for the safety of everyone else because I don't really trust myself super well for that on my first few runs through.

Well, it depends on if your roof rack is a factory option, or aftermarket. Can you tell if there is any branding on it or not?

Also, if it is a factory option, give me a year, make, and model. I'll call our local stealership, and try to get you some pricing and (more importantly) a part number.

Disclaimer: Pricing is liable to be awful, because I live in the frozen tundra where God saw fit to make sure that we pay 80% more for everything than Americans. It will, however, provide you with a worst-case-scenario.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I'm biased, but Yakima makes good stuff. From your description you'd want a RailGrab or a Whispbar Rail Bar.
    This will tell you exactly what'll work with your vehicle.

I'm also biased toward Yakima, and while ago I was doing a lot of sea kayaking and used a Yakima rack to lug it around. I used one like this, since the sideways hold let us more easily fit several on the roof:

haNXmrI.png

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My wife sells outdoor equipment. She suggests very strongly that you get some kind of foam, either cheap foam blocks that come with straps or custom kayak ones, and put those up there. That reduces the strain on the kayak from being directly in contact with the bars.

Or something like that.

But she says as long as you get some foam between the bars and kayak, you can just follow those instructions to tie down.

What is this I don't even.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My partner and I have Thule roof racks on her Golf with adjustable boat feet on the rails. We just strap it down with regular pull straps. That's good for 70+ mph on the freeway.

Yeah I've heard good things about thule myself.

@BouwsT‌

It's a Ford Escape 2008 and it appears to be factory installed (came with the car when we bought it). I've seen those auto adjusting cross bars that support like 150 lbs which should be fine for this eh? Those yakima options are like a 100% increase over everything I've seen though, even though they look pretty amazing.

@BouwsT‌

It's a Ford Escape 2008 and it appears to be factory installed (came with the car when we bought it). I've seen those auto adjusting cross bars that support like 150 lbs which should be fine for this eh? Those yakima options are like a 100% increase over everything I've seen though, even though they look pretty amazing.

150 lbs should be lots. Your Kayak would be made of lead if it's that heavy.

I've got my feelers out at the dealership this morning, it appears that Ford bought them directly from Thule as a factory option, but they are trying to get me a Thule part number because they can't buy them any more (2008-2012 option that Ford has obsoleted already. I almost rolled my eyes out of my head). I'll update this post when I have some information with you, and link your name so you get the update.

BouwsT wrote: »

@BouwsT‌

150 lbs should be lots. Your Kayak would be made of lead if it's that heavy.

I've got my feelers out at the dealership this morning, it appears that Ford bought them directly from Thule as a factory option, but they are trying to get me a Thule part number because they can't buy them any more (2008-2012 option that Ford has obsoleted already. I almost rolled my eyes out of my head). I'll update this post when I have some information with you, and link your name so you get the update.
    Thanks man, I'm already subscribed so no need to batsignal me.

I was eyeing these:

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Locking-Vehicle-Cargo-Rails/dp/B0052WHJY6/
    http://www.amazon.com/49-75-Roof-Cross-Rails-Apart/dp/B002M3KSK0

Then getting one of these doohickers:

http://www.amazon.com/Malone-J-Pro-J-Style-Universal-Carrier/dp/B004KI3FP0/

edited August 2014
    Ford Part number THU450. It's just a Thule kit, and Canadian MSRP is a whopping $490.13 + 5% GST here in Alberta.

This is the kit they are referring to.
    http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/feet/thule-crossroad-railing-foot-pack-450-_-13900

I would imagine that the generic kits from Amazon would also work, but I would caution against going with the cheapest option. That $100 kit didn't look too bad, and the Thule one I'm told will work without doubt. Honestly, I don't think the rails on your vehicle are Thule, it's just what Ford would have used, had their customers wanted a roof rack.

I think you have the right idea with the rack, and that Kayak carrier. That's going to give you a safe, solid mounting option. It's also going to be better for the life of the kayak, as mentioned by Darkewolfe.

Edit: Also everyone has a positive opinion of Yakima, so I'm sure they have great options as well. Pick something that fits your budget, and run with it!

Happy paddling!

BouwsT on
    Yeah it's mostly because I might be tacking on a second kayak after we play around with this tandem one. So I'd like the room to throw a second one on our roof.

Looks like that $100 one should fit mine, fits almost all ford products according to the FAQs on it. 2009 Escape is one of the questions I did see, and looks like the same frame for the most part as my Escape.

I should be able to fit 2 kayaks no problem right?

Seems like not a bad deal for $200

@Darkewolfe‌ :

Any recommendations for the oars? Not sure if it's going to come with them, and I'm looking for rack clip if possible, but the ones I'm seeing don't look... great. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I put a set of those exact Malone's you linked onto my girlfriend's 2013 Explorer last year. I really like how well it holds on with the straps - we've driven 8+ hours with the things on the interstate without a problem at all. IT takes a little practice to get all the tethers down securely, but overall I like (though I'd get something for your front/back to wrap around the lines where they wrap over the hood/across the back - they'll vibrate back and forth which isn't super on your paint's finish).

Meh I already got rust damage to the back panels, no big deal to me, I'll probably drive this car into the ground at this point.

Looks like that $100 one should fit mine, fits almost all ford products according to the FAQs on it. 2009 Escape is one of the questions I did see, and looks like the same frame for the most part as my Escape.

I believe 2008 was the transition year. 2008.5-2012 will all be the same, so if it looks like a 2009, quacks like a 2009, it should definitely work. =)

edited August 2014
    BouwsT wrote: »

I believe 2008 was the transition year. 2008.5-2012 will all be the same, so if it looks like a 2009, quacks like a 2009, it should definitely work. =)

Yeah pretty much like all of them. Great to hear before I drop $200.

Looks much different from the 2007 models anyways.

bowen on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it really depends on the kayak.

you don't need anything but crossbars to mount a kayak
    just buy a couple of 8ft campstraps

if anything i recomend a bar that lets you lean the boat up on its side, but you can make your own out of pipe

use the cam straps on either side of the cockpit rim, loop around the bar over the boat, under the crossback then back over the boat then secure the strap.

make sure its tight but don't pull too hard since you can oilcan your boat if you go hull down.

that is bare minimum. if you have a long boat you can get a longer strap and run the tail to a grab loop and tie it off. if its windy or you are driving long distances you likely want to do a bow line to the front of your car

camo_sig.png
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Yeah it's mostly because I might be tacking on a second kayak after we play around with this tandem one.
    Wait, are you actually getting a tandem kayak, aka a divorce boat, as your first kayak?
    Because don't. Get a solo. Get 2 solo kayaks if you must. A tandem kayak should not be your first kayak. Also note that you cannot solo a tandem kayak, so if you decide to solo later, you'll still have to get 2 solo kayaks.
    http://www.sherrikayaks.com/2010/06/10/10-things-to-consider-when-purchasing-a-tandem-kayak/

iTNdmYl.png
    It's a second hand tandem, not something I am buying myself.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I solo the crap out of my tandem all the time. I put my 2 year old in the front all by himself. Mine is a Wilderness Systems Northstar Pro, it does have a rudder which makes it managable solo, but you can toss one on any tandem.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    I solo the crap out of my tandem all the time. I put my 2 year old in the front all by himself. Mine is a Wilderness Systems Northstar Pro, it does have a rudder which makes it managable solo, but you can toss one on any tandem.

Yeah I'm reading at worst you'll just have to add some ballast to the front. G/f isn't as strong as me and I'd like her to get acclimated to paddling and learning how to steer a bit better after our first run last weekend. She was a little panicky but I was able to keep her on course and show her how to steer/stop/reverse for the most part and I think she just needs practice.

At least before I invest $1000 into solo kayaks.

edited August 2014
    These are the paddles I use. They have the 60 degree twist. I love them as they are durable as all hell and can get my ass moving pretty quick in the water.

Edit: Goverment computers won't let me link to a website apprently so here is the address for my paddles.

http://www.wildwasser.net/paddles/touring-paddles/prijon-rim-ardeche

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Thanks!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We have these specific rails with feet to suit our Golf: http://www.thule.com.au/thule-wingbar
    and these Rola kayak mounts: http://www.rola.com.au/water-accessories.aspx (the top of the list).
    We use these tie down straps: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PL4H0O/
    to keep our boat: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/chrishallett83/20130904_0014151_zps5d9fda62.jpg
    on the car.

This is my partner and I in the Avon Descent last year: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/chrishallett83/ImageProxy_zpseb015609.jpg

You can tell we're nature lovers by the way we're hugging that nice rock...

Also, for my rack I use a Thule whisperbar and a Yakima Sweet-Roll. Makes it easy to get my 19 1/2 foot boat on the roof by myself.

― John Quincy Adams
    Just ordered :

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Locking-Vehicle-Cargo-Rails/dp/B0052WHJY6/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KI3FP0/

I think this will set me up really well! Now I just gotta get it all set up and go pick up the kayak from my boss.

What kayak are you getting?

What kayak are you getting?

The only thing I know for sure is that it's a tandem kayak, and it's most likely for calm water since my boss wanted it for his kids and the lake.

I hope you have a lot of fun paddling it around!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well i dont know much about kayaking and I think your doing something wrong but if you want to drive it around your going to have to first put wheels on it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    What's the length of the kayak? What kind is it? This is kinda important info for how to secure it. If it's like a 12' sit on top tandem, prolly don't need front/rear tiedowns. If you have factory crossbars you can use a coupla foam blocks and a pair of straps, don't use ratcheting style. Don't use a J cradle unless you are mounting a second boat, vertical kayaks are a bitch to drive around with.

Depending on the model, you can solo paddle a tandem. The better ones have a center seating option.

edited August 2014
    I use those J cradles and they will slide around if your'e using them for a single boat and dont' have a second boat up on the roof to balance them against. That's with a crosswind, which we get pretty heavy out here in central Cali. The straps they come whit are also shitty.

http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-Replacement-14-Inch-Kayak-Block/dp/B00BCLL4LA/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408153115&sr=1-2&keywords=kayak+foam+block
    http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8005006-Heavy-Duty-Straps/dp/B0000AT0KC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408153171&sr=1-1&keywords=yakima+strap

I recommend this combo for a single boat.

Cabezone on
    edited August 2014
    I also recommend paddles with adjustable offset, till you figure out how much you like. You'll want a narrower blade for your wife if she's not a strong paddler and a wider one for yourself. I myself prefer 60 but ti's all up to each individual.

Cabezone on
    edited August 2014
    If it is a sit on top, I recommend a bikelock/chain to secure to the roof, through a scupper. If you stop for lunch somewhere it only takes one asshat with a pickup to snatch your boat.

Cabezone on
    Get kayak specific life vests, they will have a high back so it doesn't contact the seatback.