As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Silent Hill from Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah. Might pick up Downpour. I would like to see a modern SH.

I got up to the carousel fight in SH1 and quit.
    I missed the liquid you need to get to save the police woman.

Really, I have so many games collected it is absurd. I need to finish some of them.

I am hitting a point in my life were video games are losing their luster. I just don't feel like investing the time in them.

Krathoon on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    "Hold up, Pendleton."

"Get in the fucking van."

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    1 is the personal fave, dat hopeless and menacing atmosphere and by far the best story/setting. I really like the decision tree branching as well.
    2 is a great game, but I'm not putting it on a piedestal like most ppl seem to do. Not really a fan of the "only a dream olol" setting that sort of became a semi-standard for SH from then on. Might have the single best vidya OST ever though.
    3 is the awkward one. I'm not saying it's a bad game but so much "c'mon, really?", so much.
    4 is a surprisingly good game with some interesting ideas but it's also quite obvious that it was an almost finished unrelated game that they decided to just slap the SH on top of.
    Haven't played anything else.

Panda4You on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I think Homecoming is gonna be the game that wins the coveted "Worst Silent Hill", really. It seemed to play all of Silent Hill's themes from the wrong end, the story was boring and the endings...well, yeah. That's not even making mention of the technical problems.

I think the other games all have their own defenders, but Homecoming seems to be the one that nobody really steps forward for.

Silent Hill: The Arcade doesn't count. For obvious reasons.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    My favorite between 1-3 changes all the time, so I just give all three of them first place.

4 gets second place.

The rest are a bit too distant to really worry about. I guess Downpour and Shattered Memories are among the better of those, but Downpour has several critical flaws (worst save system, terrible enemy design, some narrative mistakes, etc.) and Shattered Memories really doesn't feel like it belongs in the same franchise (and even on it's own, it has the problem of not being scary since you're 100% safe if things aren't frozen and there is only a single monster-type for you to encounter).

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Knife is the true hero of Silent Hill.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    3 is my personal favorite, being my first one, at the time I was at a pretty young age with zero prior silent hill experience (and relatively little experience with survival horror or horror in general, really)

nothing will ever be scarier to me than that opening amusement park littered with bloody robbie the rabbit costumes

uc3ufTB.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I really should give Downpour a chance one of these days. I mean, I managed to play all the way through Homecoming, and it can't possibly be as bad as that...

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Shame Downpour isn't on PC.

Actually, the fact that *Homecoming* is the only one they brought to PC is pissy as hell.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    silent hill 2 is on PC

no idea how hard it is to run on a modern computer, but it exists

silent hill 2 is on PC

Fan mods have made that and and SH3 look incredible. The HD versions you always wanted.

Too bad it's impossible to find physical copies of the game, and the chances of a Steam release are now beyond negative zero.

I sure do like that one of my favorite series is associated with the world's worst videogame publisher.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kinda struggling to think of another publisher shutting down as hard as this. Only thing that comes to mind is GFWL, and that was phased, and the bigger affected games (like Street Fighter) got official patches from Capcom fixing things.

Oh brilliant
    edited May 2015
    Did anyone ever play that 2D fan remake of SH2? I played a bit of it years ago, I think it was made by the same guy who made Lone Survivor. It was entertaining! I wonder if any other games in the series got that treatment...

Neco on
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    i do have to say, as crap as Homecoming was (aside from the OST, as mentioned), i really dug the final boss. Biomechanical spider-things have a soft spot in my heart.
    s9izdwnjlc29.jpg

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Did anyone ever play that 2D fan remake of SH2? I played a bit of it years ago, I think it was made by the same guy who made Lone Survivor. It was entertaining! I wonder if any other games in the series got that treatment...

You mean Lone Survivor?

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/

Cause that ended up being one of the best PS+ free game I've ever played. I wish they make a sequel or something.

edited May 2015

You mean Lone Survivor?

Cause that ended up being one of the best PS+ free game I've ever played. I wish they make a sequel or something.

Yeah, Lone Survivor is rad, but no, I was talking about this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKqyGNMG38

"Soundless Mountain 2" :P

Also, if you want more games like Lone Survivor, you might want to check out Claire. It's made by different people I think, and not as good, but it is very similar in style to Lone Survivor.

Neco on
  • Luca72Luca72 Registered User regular

You mean Lone Survivor?

Lone Survivor borrows so much from Silent Hill but also understands what the series was originally about so well that it's almost an honorary Silent Hill title. It's nearly as good as the first 3 Silent Hills (and even better than the third in my opinion).

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I prefer "Quiet Knoll" or "Hushed Promontory"

edited May 2015

You mean Lone Survivor?

Also, if you want more games like Lone Survivor, you might want to check out Claire. It's made by different people I think, and not as good, but it is very similar in style to Lone Survivor.
    Don't. Claire fucking sucked ass. I wanted my money back after finishing it and I think I picked it up in a bundle for 30c or something.

Panda4You on
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    With the exception of Shattered Memories, I really do not like anything that came out after SH4.

Having said that, I do feel like Shattered Memories actually makes for a great way to end the series, so as disappointed as I am about Silent Hills, I just have to keep reminding myself about Shattered Memories and just accept that as MY personal "end" to the series.

Having said that, this song I absolutely adore. It's one of those songs that gives me literal chills. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsArSDDwOv0

...aaaaand why not? Here is Shattered Memories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6Qo0BEXC0&amp;index=1&amp;list=PLE9883EFAB1E32F9F

The soundtracks in the post SH4 games (save for Downpour) are all superb. Yamaoka is brilliant.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    silent hill 2 is on PC

SH2 is nigh impossible to run on modern machines without some modding shenanigans or being well versed enough to finagle your computer to run on one processor. SH3 and 4 run pretty good though.

Panda4You wrote: »

You mean Lone Survivor?

Don't. Claire fucking sucked ass. I wanted my money back after finishing it and I think I picked it up in a bundle for 30c or something.

Ah. That's unfortunate. I liked what I played of it, but I didn't play very much.

Yeah, it might be tempting to go after it, due to how much it looks like Lone Survivor, but there's absolutely nothing to find there.

Posting this just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGy46iB58k

In this freakshow of a bad future, I would be happier that Silent Hills didn't get re-announced, at least not by Konami.

Truly the darkest timeline

Oh brilliant
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    That is like

The biggest load of shit rumor I've ever heard from any site even trying to pretend to be reputable

And it comes from a source that predicted the Kinect-less One?

Clearly this man is a fucking prophet!

Ugh, almost of all that makes no sense, SH would never sell in the billions and there's no way Hills was even close to finished

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I'd still play it.

No shame at all.

Ugh, almost of all that makes no sense

-Konami

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Well...that means I'm watching the the Xbox E3 stream now for sure.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    "Removing the demo as a show of good faith"

Like they're in the mob or something

I'm sure MS would love free advertising for their One-exclusive game to be on the PS4

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    "Removing the demo as a show of good faith"

Like they're in the mob or something

I'm sure MS would love free advertising for their One-exclusive game to be on the PS4

The demo gets reuploaded. At the end when the credits roll a familiar loading sound can be heard followed by the text "only on xbox 1"

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, the game that doesn't exist, let's make that exclusive.

Don't play Silent Hills, only not on XBox One!

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely love that rumour to be true. I will laugh forever with glee.

forumsig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It'd be a helluva coup but also a gargantuan dick move.

But if they don't get Del Toro or Kojima back on-board then what's the point? We don't need another Homecoming.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Obviously he could've said nothing if it were true, but then he's not going to say "yup, you called it, guess we'll do something else for E3 instead" if it were right. I don't expect it to happen, I'll just be very happy if it does.

forumsig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The general denial for something that's actually true is "we have nothing to comment at this time" or "we don't comment on rumors or speculation." This sounds like a pretty hard no, and Phil Spencer's a guy who isn't careless enough to screw up on Twitter this way.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So I've been watching videos from Ragna Rox youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/RagnarRoxShow/videos).

He does analysis videos on various aspects of game design, but he has a penchant for psychological / horror games, and naturally a particular interest in the Silent Hill series, which he's looked at in a several videos now, even going into specifics like the representations behind the 'antagonists' of some of the SH games (in his "enemy of the week" videos). I feel like they're actually pretty good and in-depth videos

The reason I post this is that he just put out a new video that actually doesn't look at Silent Hill, but a film that's been a key influence for the Silent Hill series (and various other works of fiction), which is Jacob's Ladder.

I honestly hadn't heard of this film before, but the manner in which he dissects it it's clear to see the effect it's had on other media since, and the explicitly acknowledged influence it's had on Silent Hill. It is a seriously worthwhile video for any Silent Hill fan to watch.

whilst he goes into the film with Silent Hill in mind, the analysis can very easily be taken on its own. However it works largely because the manner in which he explains the nuances of the film is also in a sense an exploration of what the Silent Hill games are and what really defines them.

I would warn that this contains some unsettling imagery, but dude, you're in the Silent Hill thread:

subedii on
    The way things move in Jacob's Ladder is one of the most terrifying unsettling images in all of everything ever. They tried to copy it in Downpour, didn't quite nail it. :P

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.