As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    I had a Humble key from awhile back for a week of Landmark... so I spawn into this grassy field and suddenly the trees and what not pop up and bam! -- I die.

I think I'm just going to recreate and hope my new character has better luck as the mobs right outside of the graveyard are not keen on me getting out.

Any idea what I died to when I spawned the first time? (I said a 'hello' in the chat in-game but it seems like there's no one on...)

(Edit: Disregard this post, I recreated and things that I hadn't seen popped up (like the bottom left UI and the "Getting Started" and "Gathering panel" windows). So I'm just gonna chalk it up to it being beta and some first-time launch wonkiness.)

This is an incredibly bad time to start the game. The new patch they added was ENORMOUS and there's a plethora of problems with it. Some of those were bugs that have been since squished, but some are design issues that will take awhile to fix. And some are issues of one new system being in place but not another new system that will help make the first system make more sense.

I actually feel like the game is kind of unplayable at the moment. Waiting until they fix crafting to play again. It's just hugely fucked up right now.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »

This is an incredibly bad time to start the game. The new patch they added was ENORMOUS and there's a plethora of problems with it. Some of those were bugs that have been since squished, but some are design issues that will take awhile to fix. And some are issues of one new system being in place but not another new system that will help make the first system make more sense.

I actually feel like the game is kind of unplayable at the moment. Waiting until they fix crafting to play again. It's just hugely fucked up right now.

Aw, that's a bummer. I'll try and come back to this one, then. I'm assuming the 1 week keys are actually for 1 week? I couldn't find any expiration date or warning on the actual SOE/Landmark sites, but I'm expecting I'll just not have access after a week.

Thanks for the heads up :D

76561197966849367.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does this game run any better yet? Last time I played I went from not having much lag to suddenly lagging non-stop.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does this game run any better yet? Last time I played I went from not having much lag to suddenly lagging non-stop.

They've done and continue to do lots of optimizing. It seems to be improving quite a bit.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    It is actually running a lot better for me now than it was right after the first surface caves were introduced.

• SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    I've been playing after getting it shortly after christmas, and even though my computer is 4-5 years old now, I get 40-50 FPS with Medium-High settings(with occasional split second dips into the teens).

The game runs better than some games do at launch, though it'll randomly decide to CTD(especially if I alt-tab for any reason).

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Random wtf deaths happen, I've ended up dead just teleporting on my claim for no reason I could determine. But its a beta, and buggy, it's to be expected. When you encounter such a bug, report it in detail so that it's more likly to be fixed!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The death on port is something they have thought they nailed down a few times now but its still happening pretty rarely. Its better than it was but apparently this one has a number of things that can cause it to occur so they are still working to weed it out. Its not like there is any death penalty at the moment so not to big of a deal just annoying when it bites you.

I set all my settings to the lowest and I'm still having some lag issues. One day I will be able to play without lag again.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

BTW the SOE community issue tracker now supports Landmark (it used to just be for Planetside 2). Apparently despite being community run it's watched by SOE as well:

https://soeissuetracker.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I plan to start playing when it goes Open Beta, I can't wait to start building. I want to join the guild.

I plan to build a large inverted pyramid made out of black stone, if possible; it will have a floating staircase leading up to it's entrance, and then a internal staircase within leading to the roof. I want to have green torches on the side of the staircase that light up as you walk up them. I will most likely include secret rooms within the pyramid, that will have small traps, mazes, and puzzles.

On top of the pyramid, I will have a log cabin, my personal home. I will also create pools of water and a garden alongside my cabin, if possible.

If they add the ability to build player dungeons, I will have a upright underground pyramid under my inverted home pyramid that will be ten times larger and expansive, with hundreds of rooms. It will be Dark Elvin, Dragonknight, and dragon themed; with a black dragon boss on the bottom floor. I will also personally be a boss in the dungeon, with a lore of be trying to become a Dragonknight to a Black Dragon that resides within. Most likely, the first phase of the final fight will be fighting me, the second phase is fighting the dragon, and the third phase is fighting us both.

I will be a Dark Elven Shadow Knight, with a Necromancer subclass during Everquest Next. My sub abilities will focus on undead minion meatshields, as my primary focuses on high damage output and vampiric abilities.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    Buraisu wrote: »
    I plan to build a large inverted pyramid made out of black stone, if possible;

Possible
    it will have a floating staircase leading up to it's entrance, and then a internal staircase within leading to the roof.

Possible
    I want to have green torches on the side of the staircase that light up as you walk up them.

Not currently possible. Torches come in 1 color, fire. Candles come in 3 colors, wax, red, and green. However, light orbs come in green, so you could have green lights up your stairs, just not green torches at this time. And they are always on, there is nothing that cuts lights on or off without doing it manually yourself.
    I will most likely include secret rooms within the pyramid, that will have small traps, mazes, and puzzles.

Not currently possible / semi-possible. The only objects that can be intereacted with in such a ay as to be a 'trap' are the catapault, the teleporter, and the proximity mine. A maze is totally possible. Other than doors disguised as bookshelves or a moveable rug, there is nothing that even resembles puzzles.
    On top of the pyramid, I will have a log cabin, my personal home. I will also create pools of water and a garden alongside my cabin, if possible.

Compeltely, totally possible.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Not currently possible. Torches come in 1 color, fire. Candles come in 3 colors, wax, red, and green. However, light orbs come in green, so you could have green lights up your stairs, just not green torches at this time. And they are always on, there is nothing that cuts lights on or off without doing it manually yourself.

Doesn't the new Linking and Triggering thing allow for this? I haven't tried it myself yet since I've been taking a break, but my understanding was that you could have props interact with things like player proximity.

edited January 2015
    I do not know, I never needed anything to turn off, but I could definately try it with the candles in my demon summoning circle.

Decomposey on
    edited January 2015
    Yea, I came up with the idea because I read about the linking and triggering mechanics. The steps leading up to the light would be linked to player steps and turn them on for x seconds until powering down. The first lights to the stairs would trigger from someone entering the claim. Rooms within the pyramid would light up when someone enters the room's archway and stay on until they leave the area. My theme will be Dark Elf, replacing purple lights with teal or green, since teal is my favorite color.

Thinking, I might just make the pyramid my home and put a throne on top of it instead of a cabin, it will be one claim in size. Down the road, I will add a 10 claim pyramid underneath that will be a decent sized dungeon. Also wanna add a claim next to my home for an large airship to dock, might be the second thing I build after my home.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    Found out my lighting mechanic is possible, check out the video. http://youtu.be/_5oUWuVpwCY

Also started using 7 week beta invites to play, downloading now. :-D

47uk6agplx83.png
    Patch notes: https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-1-27-15.52848/

Achievements, new materials, some bug fixes. Nothing yet to address the broken-ness of progression, but I'm guessing that will take longer to fix and/or may be tied to the achievement system rewards that aren't in yet. I'm still holding off on playing for now.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Thanks for watching this one! Please let me know when it's out of the "minecraft MMO" stage.

26904.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Thanks for watching this one! Please let me know when it's out of the "minecraft MMO" stage.

That's what Landmark is though, right?

There is an EverQuest Next thread as well, I think, if that is what you are looking for.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Saying "This is Landmark, what you want is Next" is akin to telling someone they shouldn't be interested in cooking if they are interested in good food.

The SOE devs have stared time and time again that Landmark and EQ:Next development are one and the same. Flag me if you want. I'm not dumping on you, this game, or anyone in this thread. I'm actually interested in this game because I want to learn more about it. Quite honestly, I hope you are having 2000 tons of fun with Landmark! (Really, I do!!) Just because I really want to play the "next" game that comes out of this one doesn't mean I don't want to play this one, too. I'll just never build anything. Ever. It's not fun for me.

It may be true that Landmark may "end" as a minecraft-like game, but the development of it's systems and tools are integral to the development of EQ:Next. Thus, any fan of Next, SHOULD be interested in Landmark - even if that fan has exactly zero interest in the minecraft/building part of it. (Note: minecraft style gameplay does not make games "bad". Clearly, Mojang and his two-and-a-half-billion dollars seem to be doing quite well, as are Terraria and other games of that type. They're just not for ME.)

Personally, I'm interested in Landmark for:
    • the AI systems,
    • the combat systems,
    • the skills systems,
    • the character progression systems,
    • the user interface,
    • the armor/weapon systems,
    • the map travel systems,
    • the PvE and PvP systems,
    • the exploration aspects of the game, and, yes, even
    • the crafting systems (as they will apply to Next), and
    • any other game systems that may translate over to Next.
    These are all things that are currently in Landmark in varying degrees of completeness, and things that, as a fan of Next, I have an interest in learning about sooner rather than later. And outside of Landmark, there is no way to learn about them.

(That's my rant for this month.)

EDIT: I did make some remarks up-thread about Landmark that were a bit disparaging, and I do apologize for those. They were intended to be read in a good-natured way, as one "insults" one's friends, but were clearly not interpreted that way, and for that I am sorry.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    W-why would someone flag your post?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I see that I tapped into something big under the water there, apologies.

I am following this thread for much the same reasons as yourself, as it turns out. I am also very interested in Next, having played waaaaaay too much EQ during college.

• Claw ShrimpClaw Shrimp Registered User regular
    I've got 4 trailblazer buddy passes up for grabs. PM me if you or any of your buddies are interested.

steam_sig.png
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Any rumblings about open beta anytime in the foreseeable future? I'm fairly interested in seeing where they go with all the stuff they have proposed for this, but not quite convinced enough to drop monies on early access.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Thanks Claw!

alas, I keep getting the dreaded "Launchpad was unable to connect". In addition I have to go into Task Manager to forcibly close the launcher.
    I've given permissions on my firewall, deleted the lib cache file, and deleted and reinstalled (through Steam).

My next step is to contact SOE but I am pretty sure I will get the "contact Steam" and vice versa and the run, run run around.

Has anyone heard about this? Or had it happen to you?

So, SOE is now Daybreak and no longer a part of Sony. And while the initial announcement was all upbeat and talked about having "additional resources", they soon followed with layoffs that affected every game including Landmark. Dave Georgeson, the creative mind behind Landmark and the guy from the famous "unskippable Beta video", was among the layoffs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-daybreak-game-company-formerly-soe-lays-off-several-staffers

So. What does this mean? Is Landmark doomed? Will it ever become a real game? We had a big game-changing update in December that ruined everything, and since then all we've gotten are minor patches. And no new word on plans.

This is the first time I haven't felt totally confident that Landmark was going to be awesome some day. Right now I'm not sure THEY are even confident. We'll just have to wait and see.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Well that was a great 60 dollars down the drain.

488W936.png
    Not the most encouraging news I've heard all day...

Wanna know who you don't get rid of for the healthy continuation of a games development? It's creative director! *Golf claps*

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Not the most encouraging news I've heard all day...

Wanna know who you don't get rid of for the healthy continuation of a games development? It's creative director! *Golf claps*

The Russian mob doesn't really care about that sorts of things when it comes to their money laundering.

Damn, I haven't even been able to play Landmark due to lag but I was looking forward to it once I got a new video card. This is a bummer.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Been quietly watching this hoping it could do some of what it says. This is sad to see this early. The word realignment is never good in business.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man, I'm more worried about EQN. :(

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    The layoffs suck, but in may ways it's not surprising. SOE(now Daybreak) was running on fumes it felt like. They haven't had a consistent revenue generator in the last few years; They've been running on what? Planetside 2 and EQ1/2? That was probably making money, but not as much as a big studio like SOE needed. Add in a lack of focus with several seemingly half finished projects and games(even Planetside 2 a game that has technically be out for 2 years now still lacks things promised at launch), and them laying off people and focusing on one or two main projects.

All anyone can do is wait and see at this point.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    I would expect landmark to become a full game, its past the point where it makes sense to cut it.

They might have to pause development and allocate resources to finish this one or H1Z1 or whatever else they have going on for a bit but I fully expect them to finish it.

I'm not gonna lie it did feel like things were stretched a bit thin. Two traditional MMOs with EQ1/2, Planetside 2, DC Universe Online, Dragon's Prophet and of course Landmark. Then there's H1Z1. Obviously it doesn't take a huge team per game, but I'm sure things were a little thin. Just hope that there's the good sense to not start snipping out properties from the company. DCU Online is the ONLY competition that Champion's Online has, EQ1 and even EQ2 are perhaps far too cherished(and both still get expansions left and right). Dragon's Prophet might be left with a skeleton crew though.

I know Planetside 2 has been/still is a huge success for them.

As Arthil said both EQs are still getting expansions.

I'm not sure how well DCU:O is doing.

Dragon's Prophet they're only doing the localization for, so I'd have to imagine the team is already small and probably doesn't take too much manpower.

H1Z1, IMHO, they should just scrap. There are a ton of zombie survival games already and this one (much to my great sadness and surprise) smacks of cash grab something fierce.

Landmark is far enough along and enjoys a fair amount of praise that I think it'll keep on keeping on.

Everquest Next? Man, I mean EQ is IMO still a pretty powerful name in the MMO world and from what we've seen of it they do seem to actually be doing something fresh. I fear though that they'll look at Landmark and say, "Eh, this is making money no need for another" and just scrap it.

I highly doubt H1Z1 will be touched, it's farther along than the 'biggest' competition and the game hasn't even been out a month. That and it's Higby's current baby, and he's still very much in charge. Not sure about EQ Next... I think they'll keep it, though it could be that development on it might actually begin rather than only hearing rumblings of "Us" and "Players" "Helping" to "Create" the game via Landmark.

Well, the fact that they laid off EQ's long standing frontman doesn't instill much hope in me for EQN.

Though he was in charge of Landmark too.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    higby's out

that being said, there's little reason for venture capital to want to buy SOE unless they wanted to either install better management or re-assign all the staff

they laid off (most) of the staff, so one assumes they want to install new management and continue with the IPs

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Sorry, meant Smedley.