As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Stream set to start in minutes showing extended gameplay

EDIT: They are -REALLY- selling Tripp to me with this footage

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    its a rare thing for a MOBA (not moba!) to have a starting line up that I want to try all characters, and I doubt I'd get tired of them either.
    They all have unique quirks in how they fight and a flavor and fluff that's just awesome about all of them.

Except Tyto... for some reason he's *too* cool and I just think he's smug and knows it. They had to take his arm or else he'd be too good to play.
    Its rare and petty that I hate on an amputee...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This game is gorgeous. So much color in the characters and character in the animations.

• Options
  • Options
    sigh, i really wish they had our 40minute match on file. I'd like to see that one again, and *everyone* was glued to watching both sides play.
    even people in the other game were kinda watching monitors on our game. it was such a close match

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2ZCq0Zdxg

Tyto the swift direct feed gameplay from PAX south

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So hey, Motiga is doing a drop in team tournament at PAX East.

I know my brother and I want to do it, and I *think* @Sutibunri will be with us as well. I'd love if we could get a full PA team for the tourney.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd be down under the assumption I don't have to sit in a line for several hours.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PAX tourneys are usually pretty good about their lines and wait times. The longest wait would be the initial sign up, and then, just make sure you are 15 to 30 minutes early for your matches so you can be ready to slot in.

wish I was going to PAXeast, but I don't have the cash atm. I save it all for Prime. Maybe if I'd every win the MegaMillions....

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Announced today that Motiga is working with Microsoft to bring Gigantic to windows 10 and the Xbox One. Crossplay between PC and console confirmed

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Announced today that Motiga is working with Microsoft to bring Gigantic to windows 10 and the Xbox One. Crossplay between PC and console confirmed

Does the XBOne have Mouse and KBAM support? Without it, crossplay tends to go hilariously badly.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Does the XBOne have Mouse and KBAM support? Without it, crossplay tends to go hilariously badly.

They'll probably add some generous auto-aim type stuff for the console players. Melee characters will probably play fine with controllers, too.
    Stream set to start in minutes showing extended gameplay

EDIT: They are -REALLY- selling Tripp to me with this footage

Fuck Tripp.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Better question, does that mean it will *require* Win10 to play?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I remember microsoft trying something similar with that shadowrun fps thing some years ago.

I vaguely remember it not going so hot.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I played a pretty good amount of the 360 Shadowrun and I dont remember being at a huge disadvantage. However I typically do not play sniper or other accuracy heavy loadouts. This is of course was years ago and the game had other issues (people hating it had the Shadowrun label) so it could also be there just weren't that many PC players for cross platform.

Comparing to say Nosgoth, a more recent game that features cross platform (controller/kbam) controls you definitely do have a notable disadvantage with controller.

• Options
    I remember microsoft trying something similar with that shadowrun fps thing some years ago.

I vaguely remember it not going so hot.

Yeah, I was gonna bring up Shadowrun as exhibit A how an OS locked, crossplay game could go badly. Granted, that OS was Vista which was like making the game Windows ME exclusive, but the point stands. People don't like feeling forced to buy new OS's like that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    At least Win10 has that whole free upgrade for the first year going for it. So people don't actually *have* to pay for the upgrade.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    At least Win10 has that whole free upgrade for the first year going for it. So people don't actually *have* to pay for the upgrade.
    Orly?

I'll need to read up on that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    http://www.gogigantic.com/news/motiga-announces-microsoft-partnership
    Spoilered for wall o' text.
    GIGANTIC IS COMING TO WINDOWS 10 AND XBOX ONE
    By David Reid, Mar 4, 2015
    Ever had exciting news you wanted to share but couldn’t? You know the feeling: that mix of excitement, anticipation, and tension as you clench your jaw shut and resolve to...Just. Say. Nothing.

Well, that’s been my world for the past few months. But now all that tension evaporates, because I get to tell you:

We’ve partnered with Microsoft to publish Gigantic on Windows 10 and Xbox One.
    A simple statement, but it says a lot. For starters, it affirms the faith we’ve had in Gigantic all along—that it represents something bright, refreshing, and fun in a sea of sequels and knockoffs. Gigantic is going to be a key launch title for Windows 10, and countless console gamers will play it on their Xbox Ones, too.

Second, it means the Gigantic community is about to get a whole lot bigger, and that’s a good thing! A competitive game like Gigantic thrives when lots of people try it, and now we have the resources to bring Gigantic to more gamers faster and in a higher-quality fashion than Motiga could have ever done alone. We’ll be translating the game into more languages and hosting matches on more servers spread around the globe. That means you get a high-fidelity competitive online experience: better ping times for you and your teammates.

Third, the Gigantic team can tap directly into Microsoft’s expertise. After all, Microsoft created both platforms, and we’ll be getting advice and info straight from the source. The Microsoft campus is 20 minutes away by car, so we have unfettered access to everything we need to make Gigantic shine on Windows 10 and Xbox One.

Right about now, you’re probably asking yourself the same kind of questions we had when we first started talking with Microsoft about Windows 10. We’ve been neck-deep in Windows 10 for a while now, and we’re impressed at the gamer-centric features it has: social sharing, streaming from Xbox One to Windows 10 platforms, and more. And when they told us gamers could upgrade to Windows 10 for free, we were sold.

Maybe more important than any of that, we’ve seen a renewed sense of purpose at Microsoft to make the Windows 10 launch a moment to really push PC gaming. One of PC gaming’s biggest powerhouses is upping the ante in a big way.

Likewise, Gigantic on the Xbox One is a great experience. We’d always believed Gigantic could be a successful console title from the game’s earliest days, and many testers told us they saw the potential, too. We didn’t want to dumb down the experience or come out with a second-class port, though. This partnership with Microsoft lets us make an Xbox One version that’s first class all the way.

At Last, Peace in the Platform Wars?
    Well, probably not. While many of us are “dual gamers” playing both PC and console games, each platform has its fiercely loyal audience, and for good reasons on both sides. But we are enthusiastic about breaking down some of the artificial walls that have prevented people from playing together across platforms.

You’ll be able to go back and forth between your Windows 10 PC and Xbox One—or your buddy’s—and your in-game progression and purchases will always be there. Whether you’re on the couch with a controller, or at your desk with keyboard and mouse, access to your stuff and your game remains the same.

You will ultimately even be able to opt in to play matches with friends across platforms—matches where everyone has agreed to mix PC gamers and console gamers. If you’re not interested, no problem—you don’t have to opt in. Gigantic will find plenty of like-minded allies and enemies for you. No matter what platform you’re using, we work tirelessly to make sure Gigantic is a fair, competitive experience for everyone.

Do I Have to Get Windows 10?
    Not now, but yes, at some point in the near future, you’ll need to have Windows 10 to play Gigantic. We’re working with Microsoft to ensure a smooth transition. Some of you in alpha are already on Windows 10, and it’s working great. We’ll give you plenty of notice as that time draws nearer.

And did we mention Windows 10 will be free? You can go get the Windows 10 technical preview right here. Won’t cost you a thing.

Enough about All That—Let’s Talk about Motiga
    It’s also worth noting what the statement in today’s news doesn’t say. This is a partnership, not a purchase. Motiga and Gigantic are as independent as we’ve always been. We make all the decisions about the gameplay, the infrastructure, and the business model.

Gigantic’s future was bright before this deal, and now it’s positively glowing. We’re coming out later this year on two great platforms, we’ve got gamer-centric partners who invented those platforms just down the road from us, and the game itself gets bigger and better every day.

You’ve Got Questions
    If you’re reading this, you’re in early—you’re the foundation of our community. You’ve been great at welcoming new gamers and introducing them to the world of Gigantic. Our community is about to grow by leaps and bounds, and we’ll work with you to ensure it’ll remain the highly competitive yet fun and friendly place it’s always been.

Among the many things we love about the Gigantic community is your inquisitive nature. We’ve got this FAQ to cover the basics. Beyond that, email your questions to WeCanHelp@motiga.com, tweet them to @GoGigantic, or post them on our subreddit. Many of us are at PAX East in Boston next week, and assuming we aren’t buried by snowplows, we’ll answer your questions in a big Reddit AMAA March 11!

So now the excitement and anticipation remains, but I get to stop clenching my jaw shut. I can breathe a sigh of relief...until it’s time for the next Gigantic match to start, anyway.
    Emphasis added by me.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Curious to see how forcing Win10 will go. I somehow have this feeling that a "free" OS from Microsoft will be anything but, and Win7 seems to work great for most people. I guess this is a carrot to get gamers to switch?

Also, Motiga needs to prove they're a swell company and send me an alpha invite.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Curious to see how forcing Win10 will go. I somehow have this feeling that a "free" OS from Microsoft will be anything but, and Win7 seems to work great for most people. I guess this is a carrot to get gamers to switch?

Also, Motiga needs to prove they're a swell company and send me an alpha invite.
    While it does help that Windows 10 is generating positive buzz so far, I am a little concerned that this game could still end up getting Shadowrunned. People tend to stick with an OS they like until they absolutely have to switch. I already planned on switching if W10 turns out good but I definitely don't speak for the majority. The crossplay being opt in is good stuff though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    To be fair, though, the not-Shadowrun game was kind of a steaming pile.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yeah, that's true. I do remember there being a fair amount of grumbling about the mandatory upgrade though. Gigantic being legit fun and W10 being free and hopefully not ass should keep this from being a disaster but "OS exclusive" tends to get a fairly negative reaction even if the OS gives out free sexual favors and hundred dollar bills.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

Lies, it was good. It just had nothing to do with shadowrun, and could of used another like 3 maps.

Win 10 upgrades should be a bit easier to convince, as it's going to be free for win 7/8 users.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Making Windows 10 required for this this is just an outright enormous fuck-up.

Windows 10 could be mana from heaven, but I absolutely fucking hate that there are companies still dumb enough to let Microsoft force a mandatory OS upgrade to play anything, when that game would play 100% fine without the completely arbitrary required upgrade. Even with Windows 10 being free, I don't upgrade when new OSes come out specifically because they need time to get things hammered out. It can also be a pain in the ass to deal with upgrading in general.

Consider my enthusiasm very dimmed by this absurdly-stupid decision. I won't be upgrading to Windows 10 until at least 6-12 months after it is released, which means we're probably going to be well into next year before I can play Gigantic. Well, unless somebody strips out or tricks whatever stupid bullshit keeps the game locked to Windows 10 and fixes it to run on 7 and 8, which is always a possibility on the PC.

Not gonna lie, this makes me seriously question the decision-making abilities of these devs, if they can't see how horribly ridiculous this sort of thing is.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    If this were a case of them natively developing on Win 10 only tech and not backporting, that might be one thing, but it runs on Windows<10 right now.

I'm pretty reluctant here, especially because I really just want Steam OS to take off so I can only use Windows as a legacy OS. Ugh.

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If this were a case of them natively developing on Win 10 only tech and not backporting, that might be one thing, but it runs on Windows<10 right now.

I'm pretty reluctant here, especially because I really just want Steam OS to take off so I can only use Windows as a legacy OS. Ugh.

This is exactly the position I'm in. I'm fairly comfortable with Windows 7, nothing in particular about Windows 10 would want me to go through the process of upgrading, and if it weren't for the fact that something like only 20% of games run on Linux(natively), I'd would have scrapped Windows entirely for Linux/SteamOS. This move basically moved it from something I've been following and interested in(as I'm probably keeping my Windows 7 machine for the near future) to a no sell.

I think this is going to be a bad move, regardless of Windows 10 being free or not. There's a multitude of reasons people don't upgrade beyond pricing, and it's unlikely that Windows 10 is going to automagically fix those reasons and problems. Let put this into perspective: Windows XP has ~20% market share of all versions of Windows, basically tied or edging out Windows 8 and 8.1 combined. Windows 7 has 55% of the Windows market. Over 3/4ths of Windows are older versions of the OS. It's going to take years for Microsoft to cut into that with Windows 10. And while that is a problem for Microsoft, it's basically a cyanide pill for Gigantic. An optimistic view would put Windows 10 at about 25% marketshare of Windows by the end of the 1 year free upgrade period. That would mean they've already excluded huge chunk of their userbase from even thinking about the game. More realistically, they're looking at 10% of Windows users, and maybe 80% of their potential userbase. There's no world where that's a GOOD move.

At this point, it's totally fair to say that this game lives and dies by the Xbox One version of the game. The Windows 10 version is just excluding too many people by default to have a real chance of surviving on it's own merits.

SomeWarlock on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This probably won't be a problem at for Gigantic devs as a company; they likely got handed a fat stack of cash for the arrangement, enough that they can just write off the PC side of things. As somebody who wanted to play the game, it's an incredibly shitty move because they built hype for a game I may very well not get to play for years, even though the game already runs on the system I have right now.

The skeez factor is pretty high for this move, so unless these guys simply misspoke about the Windows 10 thing, it's pretty much completely off my radar from here on out. At least if they'd said they were doing this stupid move from the start, I could have ignored the game completely instead of getting interested in it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

This is exactly the position I'm in. I'm fairly comfortable with Windows 7, nothing in particular about Windows 10 would want me to go through the process of upgrading, and if it weren't for the fact that something like only 20% of games run on Linux(natively), I'd would have scrapped Windows entirely for Linux/SteamOS. This move basically moved it from something I've been following and interested in(as I'm probably keeping my Windows 7 machine for the near future) to a no sell.

I think this is going to be a bad move, regardless of Windows 10 being free or not. There's a multitude of reasons people don't upgrade beyond pricing, and it's unlikely that Windows 10 is going to automagically fix those reasons and problems. Let put this into perspective: Windows XP has ~20% market share of all versions of Windows, basically tied or edging out Windows 8 and 8.1 combined. Windows 7 has 55% of the Windows market. Over 3/4ths of Windows are older versions of the OS. It's going to take years for Microsoft to cut into that with Windows 10. And while that is a problem for Microsoft, it's basically a cyanide pill for Gigantic. An optimistic view would put Windows 10 at about 25% marketshare of Windows by the end of the 1 year free upgrade period. That would mean they've already excluded huge chunk of their userbase from even thinking about the game. More realistically, they're looking at 10% of Windows users, and maybe 80% of their potential userbase. There's no world where that's a GOOD move.

At this point, it's totally fair to say that this game lives and dies by the Xbox One version of the game. The Windows 10 version is just excluding too many people by default to have a real chance of surviving on it's own merits.

Lets be fair, a massive amount of those are government machines. At the one hospital I work at, there are probably as many Windows XP machines as there are all other machines (Mac and Windows) combined due to legacy requirements. I highly doubt that among Motiga's targeted user base, XP makes up more than 1-2% of potential users (and I would be shocked if were even that high). The game isn't even into a closed Beta yet. There is a very good chance that Windows 10 will be 6 months or more along before this hits open beta. Remember, as of Prime, their Alpha test group was literally only a few hundred people (the number quoted was just under 300, almost entirely friends and family). If it's more than a thousand right now I would be amazed considering they still only hold one-two testing nights a week, and invites have been very much trickling out. I'm guessing they'll probably gather more play testing data from PAX East than from the last two months of test days combined.

I'll poke at a couple of the devs I talked to last year at their party tomorrow night and see what I can get thought wise from them. But I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was giving them a lot of incentive to do something that, depending on their dev schedule, will probably not have a huge impact on their potential player base one way or another. RTM for 10 is supposedly June, with a public release in August. Plus, just think of how many of those 30% of Windows 8 users will be upgrading ASAP because 8 is a steaming pile of annoyance.

• Options
    This probably won't be a problem at for Gigantic devs as a company; they likely got handed a fat stack of cash for the arrangement, enough that they can just write off the PC side of things. As somebody who wanted to play the game, it's an incredibly shitty move because they built hype for a game I may very well not get to play for years, even though the game already runs on the system I have right now.

The skeez factor is pretty high for this move, so unless these guys simply misspoke about the Windows 10 thing, it's pretty much completely off my radar from here on out. At least if they'd said they were doing this stupid move from the start, I could have ignored the game completely instead of getting interested in it.

Are you saying that you won't be upgrading to Windows 10 within the first year for free? I feel like people are expecting Gigantic out tomorrow or something. The game is still pretty far away from a large open beta of any sorts.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Well, Windows 10 isn't due out until late this year, so six months to a year after it's released puts me getting access to Gigantic anywhere from a little over a year from to the fall or winter of 2016. In the meantime, there would be the beta option (eventually), but I'm not going to bother with a beta version of a game that's going to be locked into a completely absurd OS version-specific deal when it hits release.

I hope these guys got a ton of cash from Microsoft for this idiotic deal, because it's going to kick the PC side of things in the balls. It's shitty enough that we still get third-party devs who release platform-specific exclusives, but exclusivity to a version of an OS? In 2015? Kinda burns up any goodwill I was getting towards these guys.

Not gonna rule out somebody figuring out how to patch the game to remove the Windows 10 requirement, though. It already runs on non-Windows 10 stuff, so clearly the whole Windows 10 thing is just an awful decision and not necessary for the game itself.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Windows 10 is awesome so I don't see the issue here.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Guys, keep in mind, if you own a valid copy of Windows 7 or 8, you instantly own a valid copy of Windows 10.

There isn't an additional Windows Vista tax like there was for Shattered Horizon back in the day.

• Options
    Two new heroes revealed

5d8e23ec-ee5a-4f5b-8dc7-49244a737cf4.png

Wu is a martial arts master that is also a frog. His every limb is a deadly weapon, even his tongue.

a5f22780-f843-41b7-8c01-95374ea45742.png
    Aisling fights using her father's sword...and ghost, to combat her enemies.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So, we got to play a few games today. @SutibunRi @Kb9kahne and a couple of our RL buddies. One of them got on the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/gogigantic/b/633892716

@ about the 4:04:20 mark.

I was playing Voden, and thankfully they seem to have ignored the first half of the game where I couldn't select any talents, or summon any monsters past level 3 until I died a few times to reset it. A bunch of his talents had been changed since the last time I played, so the old build I was using really wasn't all that good. Unfortunately you see me suck it up in that video a bit with less than ideal talent choices.

We also have a team in tomorrow mornings tourney. It will be streamed live on the Gigantic twitch page starting around 10-10:30 EST. Right now we are either going to be "Temp Name" or "What Alpha?" (if they let us actually pick a name this late, since we didn't have one going in). Either way, this game is still incredibly fun, and I dare anyone who calls this a MOBA to watch that video and tell me that afterwards.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    good luck to you guys, mvrck. really wish I could be there.

also, every time they release new character concepts. God. Damn. I want to play those characters too.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was the um.. Healy person.. I did healing. Healing was done.. Best first game ever?

• Options

Tournament stream

PAX HYPE

• Options
    What Alpha had a perfect match against their first opponent. Up next is what was considered the #1 seed going in. Should be interesting!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    If you guys are going to fight Human Wrath Riders (i think), be careful. They worked hard as a team and got a perfect victory.
    Definitely do not try to go solo and find a pick kill from a flank or what not. Their team members were *never* alone and they just killed the Trypp that tried to do that.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png