As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    http://www.gogigantic.com/news/gigantic-alpha-has-begun
    I think you might need to resubmit your email address
    If anybody is wondering about this, just try to register your email again. The system will tell you if you already on the list or not, so you don't have to wonder about it.

Are you sure that's not just their website's way of saying "Thank you for submitting your email address"?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    either way, I'm on the list and I am ready to smash face as Margrave again.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    http://www.gogigantic.com/news/gigantic-alpha-has-begun
    I think you might need to resubmit your email address
    If anybody is wondering about this, just try to register your email again. The system will tell you if you already on the list or not, so you don't have to wonder about it.

Are you sure that's not just their website's way of saying "Thank you for submitting your email address"?

I just did the signup thing twice and it gave me the same message both times. I'm also not receiving the verification email. Blah.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'd definitely email them about that, then. I'm sure they'd want to know about a bug like that in their alpha signup stuff.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Got the email from different accounts. I'm pretty sure they go by alphabetical order. If you signed up from PAX, the email is slightly different too

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Got the email from different accounts. I'm pretty sure they go by alphabetical order. If you signed up from PAX, the email is slightly different too

Interesting. I got a "Nice seeing you at PAX" type of message when I finally got my confirmation email. Now we play the waiting game...

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So no news about Gigantic, but can't help but think this Battleborn thing has a disturbingly similar appearance to Gigantic, given the history of Gearbox for ripping people off. Gameplay looks different enough, but Gearbox having a cell-shaded scifi/fantasy-influenced "not MOBA" coming out after Gigantic has been so well-received seems just too coincidental to be an accident.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So no news about Gigantic, but can't help but think this Battleborn thing has a disturbingly similar appearance to Gigantic, given the history of Gearbox for ripping people off. Gameplay looks different enough, but Gearbox having a cell-shaded scifi/fantasy-influenced "not MOBA" coming out after Gigantic has been so well-received seems just too coincidental to be an accident.

Actually, I think it *is* a little coincidental. Both were originally announced around E3 time, weren't they?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Actually, I think it *is* a little coincidental. Both were originally announced around E3 time, weren't they?

Battleborn was actually announced first. July 8th vs July 15th.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    No, Battleborn teaser was released first. Gigantic saw it and rushed to release theirs on the same week/day, with some added gameplay as well to one-up Gearbox. As far as I can tell, the games themselves look similar on the surface but gameplay doesn't.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yeah, it's not enough to where I think there's ground for any kind of serious accusation, but the similarities are enough and Gearbox's history is enough that I can't completely dismiss the idea of Gearbox just swiping ideas, either.

I mean, from what I can see about Battleborn, it's Borderlands-style FPS with more stylish visuals, which wouldn't be hard to do with a reskin of something from Borderlands. I'd dismiss the entire notion of this being anything but a coincidence anyway if it just wasn't for Gearbox having a history of dishonest practices. They certainly don't look like they play anything alike, I just wouldn't put it past Gearbox at this point to be swiping ideas from other development teams before games even get released.

But if it is entirely a coincidence, variety is good; nothing wrong with games having similar visuals and both being not-MOBAs, if they really do play differently.

• Options
    It could also just mean that both of them did some market research and came to the same conclusion.

• Options
    It could also just mean that both of them did some market research and came to the same conclusion.

Oh, certainly. It could've even be completely random without any converging factors at all, because Gearbox does already tend towards the cel-shading. It would be bit far out there, but not inconceivable.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Gigantic strikes me as much more groundedly fantasy as well, even with the technological characters, whereas Battleborn goes hard on the mish-mash universe style. Everyone in Gigantic seems like they're from the same setting.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The two trailers are interestingly similar and also very different. I much prefer Gigantic's to Battleborn's. Gigantics is more energetic, much more fun, has an art style I like more (simpler, less busy, fully owns the cartoonishness rather than straddling the line between cartoon and realism), has more character in the animation (probably because, among other reasons, it isn't inexplicably in slow motion), has a much nicer soundtrack (HEY GUISE IF WE PUT M83 IN OUR TRAILER IT WILL SOUND GOOD I BET NOBODY HAS THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE) and does a much better job of suggesting what the game will play like (plus it has gameplay footage at the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUz8zzK-Bjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCAKJ9fz4I

It sounds like Battleborn isn't a MOBA-esque game though so they don't really have a ton in common beyond surface level stuff.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just got an alpha invite and it's downloading now. Weeee

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @TychoCelchuuu‌ You should uh, not post that. I know for a fact that the Motiga people know this thread exists since we specifically pointed them here at PAX.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Normally being in alpha/beta has an NDA, but they don't forbid saying that you're in the alpha or beta.

Having said that, we have a regular on these boards that works for Motiga, so stick to your NDA.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    interesting that I didn't get an invite... I'll have to investigate when I get home and have more internet time. or its just taking them time to issue more invites...
    @Bobkins Flymo‌ would PM's be disingenuous to use for conversations with invitees?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have no idea since I don't know what the NDA stipulates.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    y'know, come to think of it, they probably don't want me since I orchestrated the oosiks into not losing against them on their dev night at PAX prime.
    just a petty, ''fuck this guy, we didn't stomp his team like everyone else."

all sarcasm and jest, btw. :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    They weren't ready for the Margrave pain train.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Is Gearbox known for swiping ideas? I had no idea this was a thing.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

eh Battleborn and Gigantic aren't really alike in anyway besides maybe both using that sorta soft/clayish art style that TF2 used. But even then the art is different enough that I wouldn't say either are copying.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    I knew there was a reason to go to PAX South...

Motiga is doing a 16 team tourney over there with Gigantic

Tourney Format:

-5v5
    -No more than 16 teams
    -Single elimination, best of 1
    -Final rounds are best of 3
    -Teams are seeded randomly

http://www.gogigantic.com/news/gigantic-tourney-signups-are-open

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

There was a big dustup awhile back accusing Gearbox of basically stealing the entire Borderlands art style wholecloth.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

There was a big dustup awhile back accusing Gearbox of basically stealing the entire Borderlands art style wholecloth.

Let's not forget stealing Aliens money for Borderlands 2.

• Options
    Gearbox is pretty sleazy and my kneejerk reaction was that they had swiped stuff from Gigantic for whatever they were making, but with how much of a lid the Gigantic devs have been keeping on Gigantic and the timing of Gearbox's initial announcement for their game, it really is likely that Gearbox's game just has some notable similarites to Gigantic instead of just ripping them off wholesale.

So Gearbox is run by crooks, but in this case, they probably really did come up with their own idea, or at least stole from some folks other than the Gigantic devs.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I like how this looks, so signed up for it. Wonder if I'll get into this or Overwatch first.

• Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I like how this looks, so signed up for it. Wonder if I'll get into this or Overwatch first.

These are the exact two multiplayer shootery-things I'm currently looking forward too as well.

Alpha people, does the NDA allow you to answer whether the game is as enjoyable as it is gorgeous?

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    I played this at PAX with other Oosiks and yes, it is very fun. I spent most of Sunday afternoon playing matches or sitting in line to play matches.

It kind of has that Unreal Tournament speed of movement, but nothing feels floaty, unless that is how your character is designed. The combat is rather tight and very responsive, at least on the LAN system they provided.

Like Margrave for instance. the guy is a walking slab of metal, but he has this weird 3 legged gorrila gait when using his oversized arm to help him traverse.
    When I left click to basic attack, he makes an effort to get close in his swing if he needed to and the arc was wide enough, I didn't feel the need for sniper accuracy at close range.
    Swinging attacks felt like they would (and did hit) some of the more ranged characters needed to be accurate, but that's because they are ranged.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Normally being in alpha/beta has an NDA, but they don't forbid saying that you're in the alpha or beta.

Having said that, we have a regular on these boards that works for Motiga, so stick to your NDA.

Their NDA does actually mention that you shouldn't share your acceptance into Alpha (last section, first part). Having said that, there's been more chatter on Motiga's twitter about the NDA recently so more invites might be going out.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Gigantic gonna be at PAX south , anyone Attending? I need dem scoops

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »

DS-6.jpg

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »

DS-6.jpg

I deserved this

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Motiga's streaming from PAX South..

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So from what I could gather it looks like they introduced two new heroes and a new map.

461e4931-c6c5-4e63-9456-8df285930dbe.png
    Mozo is a trickster magician that has amassed/stolen a large collection of magic wands.

Yes that is a goblin cat magician triple wielding wands

a91bb83c-8141-4b94-867b-d92f7c7cd8a4.png
    Griselma is a summoner able to conjur beasts from another world and use portals on a whim

The new map looks like a canyon with various pockets of oasis. Total contrast to the lush overgrown temple look of the map we've seen already

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCTLezLpd4

60 seconds or so B-reel of alpha footage from the stream

Beezel on
  • Options
    again, this game is just so fucking awesome and beautiful.

if griselma has us thinking with portals, I *might* be playing her more than Margrave

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Dammit, I want to get into this alpha/beta/whatever they're calling it. After signing up on the website months (shortly after PAX Prime?) I received an email the other day from Gigantic! :D

Then I saw the subject line: "Gigantic newsletter—coming soon to this inbox!" :bigfrown: